Notices

How about a Boughner return?

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Badger Bob

vCash: 500
How about a Boughner return?

Bob Boughner's name has been mentioned enough as a traid bait for Carolina. If the Flames were able to finally pull the trigger on a deal to finally send Gauthier to Montreal, that would open up a prime spot for a tough, stay-at-home defenseman. Who better to take that spot than The Boogey Man? He'd be in a rent-a-player situation. With him entering UFA status, there's no long term commitment going into the post-CBA era. He's playoff tested, provides leadership and is defensively responsible. His presense would assist in the development of young d-men, such as Montador & Commodore. Rhett Warrener said that all of the guys liked him. Many of his former teammates remain, so there wouldn't be an issue of disrupting team chemistry.

Last edited by Badger Bob: 02-12-2004 at 04:10 PM.
Old
02-12-2004, 02:45 PM
HuskyFlames

No.

Old
02-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames
No.
Thanks for the in-depth analysis.

Old
02-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Thanks for the in-depth analysis.
Badger, I am totally for this. If we could get Boughner back to play a #6 role, I'm all for it. He'd be a playoff rental, but who knows - he may be willing to sign here for less in the offseason.

He'd also be a good mentor for Phaneuf, atleast for his rookie year.

Salary is the issue here, though. If Flames' management loosened the purse strings a bit for the playoffs, then by all means lets get him back.

Old
02-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Zhackpot

Still doesn't address the Flames needs upfront and does Boughner really give you much more than Gauthier?

Yelle, Reinprecht, Warriner, McAmmond, Gelinas, and there may be others all have playoff experience and Yelle and Reinprecht won cups in Colorado. If they move Gauthier they need help up front in return.

Old
02-12-2004, 04:42 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
Badger, I am totally for this. If we could get Boughner back to play a #6 role, I'm all for it. He'd be a playoff rental, but who knows - he may be willing to sign here for less in the offseason.

He'd also be a good mentor for Phaneuf, atleast for his rookie year.

Salary is the issue here, though. If Flames' management loosened the purse strings a bit for the playoffs, then by all means lets get him back.
How would he be a good Mentor for Phaneuf? Warrener is MUCH better. The guy has good playoff experience and a leadership instinct.

Old
02-12-2004, 05:37 PM
kruezer

Perhaps, but only if we deal a D-man first. I wouldn't mind a Gauthier for Sundstrom deal right about now actually. Someone to run with Sappy/Kobasew (not sure what wing Sundstrom is? RW?) and Lombo and cover their D for them, if the top two lines are moving to this...
Reinprecht-Conroy-Iginla
Gelinas-McAmmond-Donovan
....then we're left with these guys on the bottom two...
Saprykin, Lombardi, Kobasew, Yelle, Oliwa, Clark, and Green, I can't seem to work out a group of those forwards that works well. Yelle and Clark should be together, with maybe Saprykin? Then sit Oliwa or Green and play one with Lombo and Kob? I wouldn't trust that line at all. I'd rather Sundstrom was here and Green was in the AHL.

Old
02-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
Still doesn't address the Flames needs upfront and does Boughner really give you much more than Gauthier?
The whole idea of trading Gauthier would be to get help up front. Based on the current injury situation, with serious playoff contenders, the demand should exist. Although Gauthier trade threads have been pretty much beaten to death, the time might be right to pull the trigger.

Ice Cream Man: you've got exactly the right idea.

Patrick - Flames: here's $5 to go buy a clue. You might want to look back to earlier in Boughner's career. His playoff experience with Buffalo & Pittsburgh didn't go unnoticed. His leadership ability is unquestioned. Warrener himself respects Boughner.

Old
02-13-2004, 02:16 AM
DBC Tweeker

I would totally be in for this. The main question would be the matter of what it would cost us. Didn't we get a 5th or something for him? (HUGE underpayment btw)
Perhaps we could coax CAR into taking back that pick for him.

Also, I would have hugely in favor of keeping him as more than a rental, if the price is right. Presuming Gauthier gets traded (and he will be before he obtain Boughner), the lines would be a little something like this for next year:

Regehr - Leopold
Lydman - Warrener
Phaneuf - Boughner
Ference

WOW! Whom better to mentor Phaneuf than Boughner, someone who plays a very similar defensive games (less the offense of course). I think the notion of bringing back the Boogie Man is great Badger, great idea!

Old
02-13-2004, 04:43 AM
ForeignFlame

Interesting idea, but most unlikely to happen.

However, I'd be happy for the Flames to do it if, as others have mentioned, it allows them to move Gauthier and bring in an additional offensive threat. Perhaps a good two-way guy who has some potential to put the puck in the net (not saying Gauthier could bring that in a deal, but I think that's what we'd be looking for).

Old
02-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Flamin' Griz

I've suggested this somewhere else. I think if you trade Gauthier, though, you nullify any benefit you'd get by acquiring Boughner. My thought is that our #6 spot is weak. I'm not confident with Commodore, Ference or Montador playing a significant role down the stretch or come playoff time. A Boughner acquisition would address that need.

I'm not worried about help up front at all. If there's a move to be made there, make it, but not at the expense of the blueline.....at least not yet.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Perhaps, but only if we deal a D-man first. I wouldn't mind a Gauthier for Sundstrom deal right about now actually. Someone to run with Sappy/Kobasew (not sure what wing Sundstrom is? RW?) and Lombo and cover their D for them, if the top two lines are moving to this...
Reinprecht-Conroy-Iginla
Gelinas-McAmmond-Donovan
....then we're left with these guys on the bottom two...
Saprykin, Lombardi, Kobasew, Yelle, Oliwa, Clark, and Green, I can't seem to work out a group of those forwards that works well. Yelle and Clark should be together, with maybe Saprykin? Then sit Oliwa or Green and play one with Lombo and Kob? I wouldn't trust that line at all. I'd rather Sundstrom was here and Green was in the AHL.
If Gauthier could bring in Sundstrom, Clark immediately becomes expendable. Sundstrom on the checking line with Yelle & Gelinas? Things that make you go mmmmmmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBC Tweeker
WOW! Whom better to mentor Phaneuf than Boughner, someone who plays a very similar defensive games (less the offense of course). I think the notion of bringing back the Boogie Man is great Badger, great idea!
We can only hope that Daryl Sutter reads this stuff.

Last edited by Badger Bob: 02-13-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Old
02-14-2004, 01:34 PM
CalgaryThrasher

Never, I really disliked Boughner here, he has little to no fundamentals, just a hard and crooked nose.

Old
02-14-2004, 06:39 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
The whole idea of trading Gauthier would be to get help up front. Based on the current injury situation, with serious playoff contenders, the demand should exist. Although Gauthier trade threads have been pretty much beaten to death, the time might be right to pull the trigger.

Ice Cream Man: you've got exactly the right idea.

Patrick - Flames: here's $5 to go buy a clue. You might want to look back to earlier in Boughner's career. His playoff experience with Buffalo & Pittsburgh didn't go unnoticed. His leadership ability is unquestioned. Warrener himself respects Boughner.
So why bring him back for the playoffs? Here is 50 cents and YOU go buy a clue AS Sutter has said he is not here for the temporary fix and Bough. is a temporary fix. With that said, you really have no idea of Sutter's vision for the team or how he wants to shape the team. Thanks for coming out though.

Old
02-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
So why bring him back for the playoffs? Here is 50 cents and YOU go buy a clue AS Sutter has said he is not here for the temporary fix and Bough. is a temporary fix. With that said, you really have no idea of Sutter's vision for the team or how he wants to shape the team. Thanks for coming out though.
Take that with a grain of salt. Given that he said that when the playoff picture was too far away to paint, his attitude has probably changed now. Not just him, but management as well. With the Flames about to make their first playoff appearance in 8 years, you can bet your bottom dollar management is going to look at all possible alternatives to gear up for a playoff run. I think it's hogwash to say Sutter's position hasn't changed; whole different context at a whole different time.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryThrasher
Never, I really disliked Boughner here, he has little to no fundamentals, just a hard and crooked nose.
Further proof that there's no shortage of uninformed opinions.

Quote:
So why bring him back for the playoffs?
You're asking that as though something were wrong with the idea.

Quote:
Here is 50 cents and YOU go buy a clue
Thanks, but not enough to buy me a cup of coffee at Tim Horton's.

Quote:
AS Sutter has said he is not here for the temporary fix and Bough. is a temporary fix. With that said, you really have no idea of Sutter's vision for the team or how he wants to shape the team. Thanks for coming out though.
Try considering this for a moment: Denis Gauthier's bumps along the boards are fun to watch, but that isn't going to do much when Todd Bertuzzi or Keith Tkachuk are parked on the doorstep. Sorry, Robyn Regehr isn't enough to deal with those little details, especially if the plan is to get out of the first round. Some fans may have been content finishing out of the playoffs year after year, or thinking Freddie Brathwaite was really a #1 goalie. Other people hold higher expectations. Daryl Sutter would gladly join me in this view.

Old
02-15-2004, 06:44 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind Boogie Man back, but I think that the $$ would be better spent at forward, aquiring another playoff proven winger. Maybe we could ship off more and get both?

Old
02-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Badger Bob

That's why you'd bring in Sundstrom for Gauthier.

Old
02-16-2004, 01:21 AM
kruezer

I might not mind that set of deals at all....

Gauthier for Sundstrom-----Boughner for a pick?

Reinprecht-Conroy-Iginla
Gelinas-McAmmond-Donovan
Saprykin-Yelle-Sundstrom
Oliwa/Green-Lombardi-Kobasew/Clark

Leopold-Regehr
Lydman-Warrener
Ference/Commodore-Boughner

I like that line-up going into the playoffs, not that I want to stunt the growth of the young guys, I just wouldn't play the life out of them this near the playoffs, maybe I'm just a youth-stifling coach, but they have plenty of time, besides very soon Lombo, Kob, and Sappy will be on our top lines, they just gotta gain some consistancy, and that'll come with time. Its no rush IMO. Sappy and Gelinas could trade in that line-up as well, since I think Oleg is the most ready to play an important role.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:52 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
How come you are so high on Sundström? I personally really like him, one of the best defensive forwards in the leauge, who can play at all forward positions. He was a key player on Swedens top junior line through time IMO together with Peter Forsberg and Markus Näslund. Do you really think Montreal would let him go? I know he hasn't have his best season, but he lately seems to have found his role as checking forward.

Old
02-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
How come you are so high on Sundström?
More importantly, Daryl Sutter is high on him. His record so far with maximizing performance from former Sharks been nearly impeccable (Donovan, Kiprusoff - not as sure about Lowry). Players of Sundstrom's ilk are extremely valuable in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
Do you really think Montreal would let him go?
To acquire him, they gave up a goalie (Jeff Hackett), whom they had no plans for and is now retired. Apparently, the Canadiens (or, more specifically, their fans) are anxious at the opportunity to acquire a hometown French Canadian banger (Denis Gauthier), who's out of the Quebec League.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Badger Bob

Boughner isn't good enough for Patrick & CalgaryThrasher, but he's good enough for the Avs.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:14 PM
ForeignFlame

Maybe Sutter should have taken the second rounder from the Avs after all, if that rumour has any truth to it.

Old
02-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Badger Bob

That rumor popped up on another board, but it's not known when the offer supposedly took place.

Closed Thread