HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Detroit vs. San Jose

View Poll Results: Detroit vs. San Jose: Who do you want to win
Detroit: I'm sick of the Central division bashing. 15 23.81%
Detroit: After round I, I dislike San Jose 9 14.29%
San Jose: I could never pull for Detroit. 15 23.81%
San Jose: I want the team that beat us to go all the way. 16 25.40%
Don't really care, Preds season is over. 8 12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Sharksurfer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I swear after the Oilers series last year that one might think you would understand what it's like to have someone come to your boards after a series loss like that and make posts like yours... but I guess not. Give it a rest already-- this is a poll thread for who the Preds fans are going to root for in the next series and why.

Very well put.

Oilers fans saying that the Torres hit was clean because the league, in its great wisdom, did not punish the hit were not welcome on the Sharks boards.

Sharks fans, please let it go.

Years ago, when Brian Burke was Director of Hockey Operations, he talked to fans after a game in San Jose. He admitted that the NHL has different standards of officiating for different players. The way he put it was that a guy like Owen Nolan who plays a physical game, gets away with more, but also other players get away with more against him. Basically, if you opt into playing physical, it goes both ways.

The reality is that it runs deeper than that. Tootoo, for example, seems to be given no leeway, and nearly everything borderline is called.

Joe Thornton, he is a huge guy. He gets hooked and held all the time, he's so strong he rarely goes down, and often these infractions are not called. On the other hand, if he does go down, the ref's arm tends to go up, even on something borderline. That's just how it goes.

The most frustrating thing about watching the NHL, for me at least, is the inconsistency of officiating, both on the ice and from the league offices. It would be an interesting study to collect 50 clips of penalties called, and 50 plays that were borderline but not called, and have players and refs try to correctly guess which were called.

I am a Sharks fan, and I thought Nashville got nabbed on more borderline stuff than the Sharks. There are a lot of potential reasons depending on your PoV, but that is cold comfort for the fans of the team who lost.

Let the Preds fans be, debating calls in a series that is over may not seem like trolling, but it is.

Old
04-27-2007, 02:05 AM
off_the_shneid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
Yes, and that didn't stop the Red Wings from crushing the Capitals that year, now did it?

At the same time Wilson was "misrepresenting" the truth to the media, one Mr. Trotz was busy commenting that Radulov's hit wasn't dirty, the rookie was just overly "excited," and whining that Clowe should receive "heavy suspensions" for instigating a fight (usually an additional 2-min. minor penalty). RW was penalized $10,000 for his comments in the press (or lack thereof).

Both coaches whined. But....and here's the part that you Nashville fans don't seem to be getting......if Ron Wilson's comments to the media were the difference between your team winning that series and losing in five games, maybe your team wasn't all that good to begin with.

Refs call some things incorrectly and miss other calls....it happens. Bottom line, you make your own breaks.

If you want to get the benefit of the doubt from the officials in the 2nd period, don't spend the entire 1st period throwing elbows and cross-checks after the whistles. If you want the benefit of the doubt from the league offices, don't send a bunch of guys to the Commish's office for suspension review (Tootoo last month, Hartnell 3 times, Radulov....Sharks: none, until Clowe). And when you KNOW the refs are going to call a tighter game, don't go slashing a guy's stick in half in the offensive zone. Don't put the blade of your stick into a guy's midsection when you KNOW it's going to be called. Don't take a hand off your stick and wrap it around another player. That's the lack of discipline we're talking about.

And in the final game, in the critical moments, with your team's season on the line, two Predators took 7 minutes of unnecessary penalties (resulting in a 5-on-3, a major, and an ejection) for stick-to-groin infractions. Those weren't borderline judgment calls by the ref. They were blatantly stupid penalties which showed a lack of mental toughness, and were far more indicative of the way the Preds played that entire series....not just the 2nd period of Game 5.

And after THAT blatant a foul, the third major penalty in 5 games, did you honestly believe the ref was likely to give a benefit-of-the-doubt call to a Nashville player on any hook or trip? You get the calls by playing a squeaky clean game for the other 58 minutes.

Call RW a whiner all you want to. It wasn't his stick spearing Erhoff's or Bernier's groins. The Sharks (the least penalized team in the league) adapted to the officiating. Good teams do that. Good teams don't put themselves in a position where one call (good or bad) will cost them the game. And while poor officiating might cost you a game, it won't cost you a series....unless you let it.
Nashville fans who are Ron Wilson haters, this is why you lost the series, not because of Wilson's remarks. SjGoalie32 is right on the money when he said that Nashville isn't that great of a team if they lost the series due to post game comments. It's silly to say that a coach's remarks are a big reason for a series loss. And if you don't think it was a deciding factor, then stop with the Wilson-bashing.

This series is in the books, just like last year's, so can't we all stop talking about it and being hateful towards Ronnie?

Go Sharks!

P.S. It's nice to play against a team that doesn't injure your players.

Old
04-27-2007, 02:09 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by off_the_shneid View Post
Nashville fans who are Ron Wilson haters, this is why you lost the series, not because of Wilson's remarks. SjGoalie32 is right on the money when he said that Nashville isn't that great of a team if they lost the series due to post game comments. It's silly to say that a coach's remarks are a big reason for a series loss. And if you don't think it was a deciding factor, then stop with the Wilson-bashing.

This series is in the books, just like last year's, so can't we all stop talking about it and being hateful towards Ronnie?

Go Sharks!

P.S. It's nice to play against a team that doesn't injure your players.
I like how you say, "stop hating our coach, it's over, let it go"

and then take a shot that says nothing more than "i want to keep trolling and keep this going"

For those Sharks fans who were looking for reasons why some Preds fans as citing "Sharks fans" as a reason we're cheering for the Wings...

Old
04-27-2007, 02:42 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
In 2005-06 we were in top 3-5 most penalized teams in the NHL, called for 500+ penalties

In 2006-07 we were in the top 5 most improved in penalties, called for 300+ penalties.

Poile said all this on the radio the other day.

But it's only good teams that adapt to the rules.

Last edited by sparkle twin: 04-27-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Old
04-27-2007, 07:36 AM
RollingPredFan

Don't you Sharks fans have Red Wing fans you can torture now?!?!

You won, stop being lousy winners LOL

Old
04-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Sharksurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by off_the_shneid View Post
Actually, my point was that the NHL is a garage league, and I can certainly understand why the Preds fans here are bitter.

Old
04-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

"No Excuses"

Old
04-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofODucks15 View Post
"No Excuses"
********* right no excuses

Last edited by Enoch: 04-27-2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Personal preference on that......
Old
04-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Lee Van Cleef*

We'll see you guys in the first round next season

Old
04-28-2007, 07:59 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I love how Sharks fans act like their team played clean, Goc was very dirty and should have been called to the mat after his slash to Vokoun or his crosscheck from behind on Suter or Clowe's boarding call or the numerous cheap shots Guerin threw.

The only difference was, our players didn't leave the game with life threatening injuries.

Old
04-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I love how Sharks fans act like their team played clean, Goc was very dirty and should have been called to the mat after his slash to Vokoun or his crosscheck from behind on Suter or Clowe's boarding call or the numerous cheap shots Guerin threw.

The only difference was, our players didn't leave the game with life threatening injuries.
Exactly, the Sharks were called for numerous things but their hits and cheap shots didn't cause any injury...didn't put any Predators out for the game...and that is a factor when determining a penalty.

Nobody from SJ's end is saying that they were playing completely clean...those who are are just blind homers, but they didn't get anybody hurt and they weren't reckless with their hits.

Old
04-28-2007, 02:06 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

So Clowe's hit wasn't reckless? Goc's crosscheck from behind 2 feed from the boards wasn't reckless?

Old
04-28-2007, 02:26 PM
predhead1

Just when I think I hate SJ more than Detroit, NBC shows a thirty second playoff commercial entirely about the Red Wings

Old
04-29-2007, 01:57 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
So Clowe's hit wasn't reckless? Goc's crosscheck from behind 2 feed from the boards wasn't reckless?
It was undisciplined, for sure. But no, that was not reckless like finishing a check on a guy with the numbers shown. I won't say anything about Hartnell's hit other than I don't think it was malicious. Just not a smart decision to go for that hit in that spot and bad luck on both ends. And spearing? It's kind of hard to defend spearing as not being reckless.

Old
04-29-2007, 08:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Goc finishing a crosscheck.... Classic, can't tell you're a Sharks fan....

Old
04-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Goc finishing a crosscheck.... Classic, can't tell you're a Sharks fan....
Give it a rest. Comparing a cross-check like Goc's, which happens a lot in the NHL, to a spear or that hit from behind by Radulov is just ridiculous.

Cross-checks happen in every single period for the most part of an NHL game and if you can't see that the severity of that cross-check compared to those that were called five minutes, you really don't understand hockey.

Old
04-29-2007, 09:13 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks, I've played, coached and reffed hockey for over 20 years, but I probably don't understand it. If Suter doesn't get his arms up, he's Chris Draper part II, if you can't understand that you're just an idiot.

And I need to "give it a rest". *** are you still doing on our boards, shouldn't you be on the Wings boards now?

Old
04-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Thanks, I've played, coached and reffed hockey for over 20 years, but I probably don't understand it. If Suter doesn't get his arms up, he's Chris Draper part II, if you can't understand that you're just an idiot.

And I need to "give it a rest". *** are you still doing on our boards, shouldn't you be on the Wings boards now?
I'm sorry that your bitterness is clouding your judgment on what happened but I didn't realize that you had laid claim on this place so that only fans of the Preds are allowed to post here...my bad.

Old
04-30-2007, 03:10 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

that's probably enough...

Closed Thread