HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Adios Skoula! Avs Acquire Sauer and 4th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2004, 08:45 PM
DarioinDenver

vCash: 500
I followed Sauer closely when he was with Spokane and he does have potential. Granato will be a much different coach than he's been used to and the system and personnel he will be involved will be an environment that Sauer might actually grow. Skoula on the other hand has had the idea developement exposure and training with no signs of improvement. I don't see any reason Sauer can't skate and play as physical as he did in the '03 playoffs.

Old
02-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Jerky Leclerc

I don't see why PL would want Sauer other than use him as an asset to get Gonchar. Sauer is big but not very tough. He has decent speed/mobility and is mainly a stay at home guy. The Avs play a high tempo game and will need some toughness in the playoffs. I don't see how Sauer can contribute. I'm so sure PL is going to package Sauer and make a move for Gonchar.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Well, sheeyoot. I woulda been happy with a 4th for Skoula.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LS9
Hey man, I was about to settle for a "Skoula for a paper clip" deal. Welcome back to the organization, Kurt. Anaheim fans... Good luck with that guy
Right back atcha.

Sauer won't hit, won't win any battles that can't be won with a stick, and can't make a pass or clear the zone. He's a one-man momentum killer. He's good positionally though.

If Skoula can pass or skate the puck out of the zone ONCE per game, he's nine million times better than Sauer. I don't care if he never records a point if he's better in transition than Kurt. Which he'd have to be. I mean, I am.

Old
02-22-2004, 12:54 AM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
If Skoula can pass or skate the puck out of the zone ONCE per game, he's nine million times better than Sauer. I don't care if he never records a point if he's better in transition than Kurt. Which he'd have to be. I mean, I am.
Great. Did you overlook the fact that often one of his boneheaded plays (giveaways, puck watching, letting his check get open, eyeing that old man in the eighth row, etc) will often lead to a goal by the opponent?

Old
02-22-2004, 01:01 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
Great. Did you overlook the fact that often one of his boneheaded plays (giveaways, puck watching, letting his check get open, eyeing that old man in the eighth row, etc) will often lead to a goal by the opponent?
meh, Sauer's rock-solid
meaning he's like a rock, the river just flows right by him

Old
02-22-2004, 01:14 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
It isn't going to be worse than Sauer staring in horror at the puck on his stick. "What do I do??" The gears in his brain are painfully slow.

Old
02-22-2004, 02:17 AM
Lyons71

As long as Sauer doesn't touch the puck, the Avs should be ok. I really can't see Skoula being worse (or more harmfull) than Sauer. Hopefully, Skoula turns into a great player, and Sauer stays the same.

Old
02-22-2004, 02:29 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

He CAN'T be worse in our own zone. He at least has the potential to clear the puck in some way, which Sauer utterly lacks. Even if he totally blows, he's still better.

Old
02-22-2004, 03:18 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
wtf, it's a bunch of children arguing here...

nice deal IMO, best of luck to skoula

Old
02-22-2004, 03:34 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

omg, did you just say wtf?

Old
02-22-2004, 10:10 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
If any team can help Skoula, it's Anaheim. Ozolinsh seems to be a better defensive player there. That guy made us cry a few times in Carolina. He was horrible.

Old
02-22-2004, 11:10 AM
CanadaAvalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
He CAN'T be worse in our own zone. He at least has the potential to clear the puck in some way, which Sauer utterly lacks. Even if he totally blows, he's still better.
So basically what we are getting at is that both players absolutely suck and are useless, but the Avs got 4th round pick. So I guess Lacroix pulled a nice deal getting that 4th.

Old
02-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaAvalanche
So basically what we are getting at is that both players absolutely suck and are useless, but the Avs got 4th round pick. So I guess Lacroix pulled a nice deal getting that 4th.
GM PL is my hero

Old
02-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
If any team can help Skoula, it's Anaheim. Ozolinsh seems to be a better defensive player there. That guy made us cry a few times in Carolina. He was horrible.
The thing is, Ozo's defense was bad because he was always pinching. Skoula's defense is bad because he just makes the wrong decisions even when he's not pinching.

He doesn't make rookie mistakes, he makes mistakes that should have been routed out in juniors.

Old
02-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

As I mentioned, Babcock was good getting rejects like Niedermayer, Ozolinsh and Krog playing well. He seems to be figuring out Prospal and Fedorov fine. And Schastlivy is on a good start too. I think if anyone can get Skoula to be alright, Babcock can.

Old
02-22-2004, 12:12 PM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaAvalanche
That is EXACTLY the right point. Both have proven useless or very close to it. Lacroix got a fourth round pick out of the deal. Winner.

Old
02-22-2004, 02:48 PM
190Octane

I've taken to calling Sauer "Charmin" lately because he's so unbelievably soft. I've seen Andy McDonald throw harder hits this season and he's about 5'2.

Where in the hell did anyone get the idea that Sauer plays "tough rugged d?"

Skoula at least has the best puck poise in the league.

Old
02-22-2004, 09:17 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishinator05
I've taken to calling Sauer "Charmin" lately because he's so unbelievably soft. I've seen Andy McDonald throw harder hits this season and he's about 5'2.

Where in the hell did anyone get the idea that Sauer plays "tough rugged d?"

Skoula at least has the best puck poise in the league.
best puck poise in the league? please tell me you're kidding. if not, i feel very very sorry for you. i'll use an example of his GREAT puck poise from todays game...

he had the puck a bit away from teh boards and was going to clear it and fanned on the pass with a forward barreling down on him, if it wasn't for the anaheim forward who came back and poked it out of the zone, he would have been absoultely screwed. the guys puck poise is horrendous.

Old
02-23-2004, 07:06 AM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup
best puck poise in the league? please tell me you're kidding. if not, i feel very very sorry for you. i'll use an example of his GREAT puck poise from todays game...

he had the puck a bit away from teh boards and was going to clear it and fanned on the pass with a forward barreling down on him, if it wasn't for the anaheim forward who came back and poked it out of the zone, he would have been absoultely screwed. the guys puck poise is horrendous.
Inside joke.

Used to be a major homer of a poster here who ranted on about how Skoula was the best young defender in the league with the best 'puck poise' in the NHL. He went on to say that mentioning Skoula in the same sentance with a 'scrub' like Morris was an insult to Skoula.

Since then, the phrase 'Puck Poise' has taken on a life of it's own.

Closed Thread