HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sucker punch infuriates Cairns

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Smash255

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
BTW...Eric Cairns is NOT a top 3 fighter in this league. I forget who posted it, but if you get absolutley SMOKED in a fight by Mike Freakin Wilson, you are NOT one of the top three heavies.
When the hell did he fight Mike Wilson?????? Are you sure your not thinking of Wilson's fight against Steve Webb early in the 01-02 season????

Old
02-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Smash255

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittkov
I don't know what year Mike Wilson fought Eric Cairns and lost, but every fighter has a bad fight. In my opinion, over the last two years, Eric Cairns has been one of the top fighters in the league. Laraque and Brashear, when they want to fight, are the two best. Arguments can be made for some other guys, like Worrell and Johnson, but I think Cairns is next.

Shelley fights alot and is entertaining, but I think he loses as many as he wins. Oliwa has beaten him at least twice this year. Matt Johnson has had a real good year this year, but he didn't last year, and even lost to Cairns. Oliwa has fought alot, but he has also been dropped by Brookbank and Downey. Worrell hasn't played enough this year to warrant it, and he was dropped by Hordichuk who is about five inches smaller. Peters has had a good year, but it is too soon to tell for him. Low, Simon, Peat, Boulerice, Domi and Parker are other guys that haven't had great years this year in my opinion.

Of course Cairns hasn't had a real great fight card this year either, so you may be right.
Cairns has ended Scott's seasonm broke Fedoruk;s face in 4 places beat the hell out of Peat & McKenzie, Cairns has had a [pretty damn good year as far as fighting goes

Old
02-22-2004, 10:19 AM
schmittkov

cairns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255
Cairns has ended Scott's seasonm broke Fedoruk;s face in 4 places beat the hell out of Peat & McKenzie, Cairns has had a [pretty damn good year as far as fighting goes
Peters, Fedoruk, Peat, and McKenzie are the only real heavyweights he has fought this year. Nazarov and McKenna are jokes. The rest are guys he should destroy like Scott, Ott, Downey, Buchberger, Doull, and Jeff Cowan.

I would consider the Peat fight more of a draw and he certainly didn't beat the hell out of him, but I didn't see the MCKenzie fight. Peters had Eric's jersey up and looked to get the better of Cairns. He landed bombs on Downey and Fedoruk, and those were his two best fights of the year in my opinion. But Downey is much smaller than Eric, so it was another fight he should dominate.

I would like to see him against the top heavyweights this year to see how he would do, guys like Brashear, Worrell, Laraque, Johnson. I remember him fighting Laraque and Brashear last year, and doing all right against them.

Old
02-22-2004, 03:38 PM
BiLLY

I also have TiVo. Cairn's left glove was still airborn because he threw it upward. His gloves were both off and he was facing Purinton. What more does he want? He wanted to be able to use his reach, which Purinton negated by grabbing him to start it. Too bad.

Also, Simon was not wrestled down by Scatchard, he stepped on a stick next to the boards. Scatchard then proceeded to try and land his only punches of the tussle, not that I blame him. I don't think its THAT big a deal that Purinton did it either: heat of the moment. Heated fights don't always end when it hits the ice, look at Markov and Lundmark the other night.

Old
02-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Fletch

That's exactly what Cairns wanted...

he wanted the opportunity to skate away (step back), roll up his sleeves, then go...all most likely to his advantage. Dale waited for him to take off his gloves and moved in fast, and got lucky quickly. Dale should not have continued when Cairns fell, though. I don't care about the heat of the moment, etc...that's Busch-league.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:35 AM
Smash255

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittkov
Peters, Fedoruk, Peat, and McKenzie are the only real heavyweights he has fought this year. Nazarov and McKenna are jokes. The rest are guys he should destroy like Scott, Ott, Downey, Buchberger, Doull, and Jeff Cowan.

I would consider the Peat fight more of a draw and he certainly didn't beat the hell out of him, but I didn't see the MCKenzie fight. Peters had Eric's jersey up and looked to get the better of Cairns. He landed bombs on Downey and Fedoruk, and those were his two best fights of the year in my opinion. But Downey is much smaller than Eric, so it was another fight he should dominate.

I would like to see him against the top heavyweights this year to see how he would do, guys like Brashear, Worrell, Laraque, Johnson. I remember him fighting Laraque and Brashear last year, and doing all right against them.

The Peat fight was close the first 2/3 of the fight, but towards the end of the fight Cairns pretty much took over & really drilled him. The Isles have a few more games left with Philly so you may see him go with Brash, Laraque was out of the lineup when the Isles played Edmonton earlier in the, he did fight both of them last year and did fine against them, pretty much a draw on both

Old
02-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
Noooo...he actually got the instigator because he, in fact, instigated the fight.
I am neither a Rangers or Isles fan, nor do I dislike either team. In fact, I like the Rangers quite a bit and watch them often.
But some of these statements I am reading is blind homerism.
They were NOT "squared off" as one poster put it. Cairns didnt see the punch coming (which is what I meant by Purinton instigating).
I am all for Purinton throwing at Eric, even if Eric wasn't expecting it. If Cairns takes cheap shots at skilled players (something he does frequently) he should expect someone to take the same liberties with him, and he shouldn't whine about it.
But to suggest that Eric was ready and saw the fight coming is a pure misleading of the facts.
I didn't mind seeing the incident, and in fact thoughrouly enjoyed it. But let's call it like it is, based on what actually happened....not a biased fans point of view.
Thank you. Purinton was seeking revenge for Cairns earlier jabbing at Rucinsky, a non-fighter. He jumped Cairns and clocked him multiple times.

I mean, how bias can one be to suggest anything other than that? And calling Cairns a wimp or similar is funny, coming from a chicken little fans in the stands or on their couch.

You liked what you saw, as an NYI fan, I didn't, but I accept it, with the understanding that there will always be another opportunity at retribution. But at least you have the courage of your conviction to call it plain as day.

Rangers won the battle (again). Congrats. Perhaps some on that side take satisfaction in that point. Kind of like when NYI from 1995-2000 would take games from a superior NYR team. Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by Trottier: 02-23-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Closed Thread