HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official Game Thread: NYR-NJ

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2004, 08:14 PM
AXN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
that those stats have nothing to do with the crappy team in front of him? So many calling for Dunham when the team was in disarray and came out flat against a rival in the heat of a playoff race. Goals 2-4 had nothing to do with Dunham - and that was the game. The lazy, heartless group in front of him is a large reason for Dunham's numbers. They cannot win unless the goalie stands on his head...every game!!! When was the last time this team won when a goaltender didn't stand on his head?
You are wrong. Its Dunham. Broduer is a good Goalie and Dunham is not.
Thats why Broduer's Devils win and Rangers don't. If Rangers had Broduer right now they would win a lot more games. The team is not that good but would be a lot better with Broduer in goal.

Its hard to win when your goalie svcks.

Last edited by AXN: 02-22-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old
02-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Fletch

OK, I'm convinced..

it's all the goalie. If Brodeur was in net for the Rangers they'd be secure in a playoff position, regardless of the heartless and mindless play of the team in front of him. Missed assignments, lack of speed, lack of hitting, lack of heart, lack of brains, and lack of system have zero to do with what ails the Rangers. Oh well...might as well try and get the best goaltender out there...give up those trading pieces for that asset, and forget the hard-working forwards and defensive defensemen.

Old
02-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Profet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN
You are wrong. Its Dunham. Broduer is a good Goalie and Dunham is not.
Thats why Broduer's Devils win and Rangers don't. If Rangers had Broduer right now they would win a lot more games. The team is not that good but would be a lot better with Broduer in goal.

Its hard to win when your goalie svcks.
Glen....? is that you?

Old
02-22-2004, 09:07 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet
Glen....? is that you?
I am not Glen Sather. Unlike him I would trade half of these guys by now. Get myself better goaltending, at least one stay at home defenseman. and more grit wingers.

I would never hire Bryan Trottier.

I am Ranger Fan, and what they are chanting, this is a really big insult.

Last edited by AXN: 02-22-2004 at 09:21 PM.
Old
02-22-2004, 09:13 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
it's all the goalie. If Brodeur was in net for the Rangers they'd be secure in a playoff position, regardless of the heartless and mindless play of the team in front of him. Missed assignments, lack of speed, lack of hitting, lack of heart, lack of brains, and lack of system have zero to do with what ails the Rangers. Oh well...might as well try and get the best goaltender out there...give up those trading pieces for that asset, and forget the hard-working forwards and defensive defensemen.
c'mon Fletch they are not that bad. The defense is soft. The Goaltending is terrible and other grit winger would help. They managed to stay a little above 500 hundred until the injuries hit. With better goaltending and Jagr playing a full year the way he is now and fully heathy this team would be at least 10 points higher.

Old
02-22-2004, 10:25 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN
c'mon Fletch they are not that bad. The defense is soft. The Goaltending is terrible and other grit winger would help. They managed to stay a little above 500 hundred until the injuries hit. With better goaltending and Jagr playing a full year the way he is now and fully heathy this team would be at least 10 points higher.
If they beat Montreal they would be 8 points out.
The problem is they can't beat anybody but the Islanders.
Ironically its the only team Dunham plays well against.

Old
02-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Fletch

They'd be 9 out...

and they are that bad...the defense is more than soft, they're horrible positionally. Forwards don't pick up their man routinely and it often results in a one-on-one situation with the goaltender. Consider goals 2-4 in Saturday's game. I'll give that first goal to Dunham - gotta protect the shortside. Goal 2) two defensemen leave the crease to follow the man with the puck, leaving a forward all alone in front of the net - result - crisp pass across, easy tip-in. Goal 3) Elias uses his speed to get through everybody, makes a good move on Dunham who initially makes a great gaoal-saving save with his skate, but as usual, the Rangers do not get the rebound. You know what - had a not-so-lazy Ranger defense picked up that rebound, it would've changed the complexion of the game - it would've been the big save this team needed that day - but instead, a goal against as a Devil picks up the puck, seemingly alone. Goal 4) First, again, the Rangers are killing a penalty. Second, again, they cannot clear the front of the net as the point shot gets through and a deflection goes past Dunham - nice deflection, should not have had the chance to deflect.

Of course I'm only talking about a couple goals in one game, but that's pretty much indicative of the Rangers play. Why can the Rangers beat the Isles? Ever notice the passion and emotion with which the team plays with? Do you see that every night against other teams? Afraid not, because they do not.

Dunham has had his share of bad games, and I will say that over the last 4-5 weeks, he's been OK...not horrible, but overall OK. Although when Dunham was playing stellar and stopping everything, this team was not winning. Then Sather overworks the guy even though he had a competent back-up in Jussi, which I'll never understand.

Point is, with Dunham's and Jussi's play this season, this team should be in the playoffs. Both have played well enough, overall, to have that 7/8 spot. The forwards and defensemen, on most nights (not some, not many) do not even put forth an effort as if they care. It's amazing.

My other point is that there are other positions the Rangers should focus on improving through trades, etc. A goalie better than Dunham's going to cost the Rangers something I wouldn't be willing to give up. This team currently does not have one solid defensive defenseman. It doesn't have enough speed up front (and fast, gritty guys). Couple that with the lack of competent system/coach, and I'd say the organization is better-off using what resources and trading chips it has on positions other than goaltending.

Old
02-23-2004, 08:19 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? They are not that bad? Do you realize that this "team" was not in a playoff position when EVERYONE was healthy? They need another grit winger? Like who? Whom are you looking to trade for? Yet another band-aid trade? YEAH....THE BRIGHT SIDE. This team is just a goalie away. RIIIIIIIIGHT.

"Get myself better goaltending, at least one stay at home defenseman. and more grit wingers."

That's a little different than saying that if they had just a goalie all would be well. Which is it? Is it just a goalie holding us back or is it more? What kind of stay-at-home defenseman are you talking about? They do not grow on trees and most teams seem to be unwilling to trade 'em. Also, who are these grit wingers? If you are talking about 3rd or 4th liners, we got them plenty. If you are talking about top 2 liners, now you got a different story. Last I checked most teams did not have these "grit" top 2 line wingers that they were trading away. Carolina is not giving away Eric Cole are they? So are you saying that this team is a goalie away? OR are they a goalie, a top 4 physical, stay at home, and a pair of gritty top 2 line wingers away?

"You are wrong. Its Dunham. Broduer is a good Goalie and Dunham is not.
Thats why Broduer's Devils win and Rangers don't. If Rangers had Broduer right now they would win a lot more games. The team is not that good but would be a lot better with Broduer in goal."

Again, which is it? Is it just a goaltender or is it a goaltender, a top 2 pair physical crease-clearer, AND a pair of top 2 line wings? Heck, if it's the latter, why not just say you need a new team?

Newsflash. Yes Dunham has been pretty bad. HOWEVER, is he supposed to be responsible for clearing his own crease from opposing players and pucks? Is he supposed to be responsible for keeping driving forwards away from the front of the net? Is he also responsible for the lack of forwards that backcheck? NO goalie in the league could make such a difference.

Old
02-23-2004, 08:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN
Even if they were 10 points better (and what a generous concession that is) they would still be battling for the 8th spot. Is that honestly were you thought this team would be. Is that were they should be?

We have said the same thing for years now. With Bure, Kovalev, Dunham here for the a full season they would....

When a team spends what the Rangers spend, they should be well over 500.

02-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Fletch

Tb...

they are not that bad...they're that awful...

the inconcistency is really getting to me. How one team can play at a high level one game, followed-up by a game of low-intensity the next game. It's not understandable. And need to point the finger at both players and coaches.

And yup, a gritty winger...to go along with such gritty wingers as Rucinsky (who's been pretty gritty), Barnaby, Ortmeyer, etc. I'm convinced this team gets nowhere without a very good defensive defenseman. And unfortunately, this team needs two. I'm sick and tired of this team's goaltenders getting run into and upended. Sick of opposing teams' players getting free passes both in front of the goalie, and along the crease. Sick of this team's defensemen losing battles along the boards. Sick of teams being able to get by every forward and defenseman, seemingly creating odd man situations as a result of them whizzing by this team's 'defense'. Arggh, it's pitiful...

Old
02-23-2004, 07:52 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? They are not that bad? Do you realize that this "team" was not in a playoff position when EVERYONE was healthy? They need another grit winger? Like who? Whom are you looking to trade for? Yet another band-aid trade? YEAH....THE BRIGHT SIDE. This team is just a goalie away. RIIIIIIIIGHT.

"Get myself better goaltending, at least one stay at home defenseman. and more grit wingers."

That's a little different than saying that if they had just a goalie all would be well. Which is it? Is it just a goalie holding us back or is it more? What kind of stay-at-home defenseman are you talking about? They do not grow on trees and most teams seem to be unwilling to trade 'em. Also, who are these grit wingers? If you are talking about 3rd or 4th liners, we got them plenty. If you are talking about top 2 liners, now you got a different story. Last I checked most teams did not have these "grit" top 2 line wingers that they were trading away. Carolina is not giving away Eric Cole are they? So are you saying that this team is a goalie away? OR are they a goalie, a top 4 physical, stay at home, and a pair of gritty top 2 line wingers away?

"You are wrong. Its Dunham. Broduer is a good Goalie and Dunham is not.
Thats why Broduer's Devils win and Rangers don't. If Rangers had Broduer right now they would win a lot more games. The team is not that good but would be a lot better with Broduer in goal."

Again, which is it? Is it just a goaltender or is it a goaltender, a top 2 pair physical crease-clearer, AND a pair of top 2 line wings? Heck, if it's the latter, why not just say you need a new team?

Newsflash. Yes Dunham has been pretty bad. HOWEVER, is he supposed to be responsible for clearing his own crease from opposing players and pucks? Is he supposed to be responsible for keeping driving forwards away from the front of the net? Is he also responsible for the lack of forwards that backcheck? NO goalie in the league could make such a difference.
Goaltending and defense is not the strong point of this team.
More grit wingers are needed. Everybody knows this. Its been written and said a 100 times. Goaltending is not good this season. Its been said by everybody.
I have not made it up. If you trade everybody, you are not making the playoffs for the next 10 years. You have to analyze the team, get a little younger, and come back. They don't have one player in their mid 20's right now. They need tougher defenseman that can play steady.

I know what I posted about trading everybody but that was probably out of anger from the game. San Jose rebuild a little and they are in the playoffs. Get some players in the mid 20 or upper 20's.

Last edited by AXN: 02-23-2004 at 07:58 PM.
Closed Thread