HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Why We Like Larry Brooks......

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2007, 09:11 PM
  #1
Hurricane Howatt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Why We Like Larry Brooks......

I hope you guys allow this thread considering you just ended the previous Brooks thread.
I love Larry the writer, but mostly I love Brooks the hockey fan. Yes I disagree with many of his articles and I do wince when he takes unnecessary shots at our beloved Islanders but I've never read anyone as passionate about hockey as him.

Back in the mid 70's I am sure many of you know he was the NYPost beat writer for the Isles. He criticized, praised and made many suggestions for this young team. When I moved to, of all places, Buffalo (1978-1981 great years and yes I was at Nystrom's OT goal at The Aud), I had the Post mailed to me just to read Brooks. It would come 2-3 days late sometimes but I needed my fix of Islander hometown reading material and nobody was better. He cared so much about the players. Something that is difficult to see in his current articles. He was so insistant that as crucial as Gilles was to the team he was the wrong choice for captain. He praised Gilles and the team for changeing to Potvin even though Potvin was not the most popular player, he was a great captain. He wrote beautifully about the departure of long time Islander's Billy Harris and Dave Lewis in 1980. You could feel the depth of his sadness, he was losing maybe not friends, but mates, and he shared their sadness in leaving the Island with us. Even so he admitted this was a great trade for Goring. The article he wrote after Bob Bourne's son was born with Spina Bifida was amazing, I wish I saved it. This was not a sports or hockey article. It cut to the heart of a good man (Bourne), a team, a new father with a sick newborn. I had never read a sports article that had nothing to do with sports. It was Brooks' feelings for the players and team he covered that counted.............counted more than salary caps, UFA, the CBA, sports agents, or money period. Brooks wrote about the sport he loves, the players he loves, and he wasn't afraid to tell it his way.

But my favorite byline of all time, it will not be topped, was Brooks' byline for this article in I believe in 1982:


DON'T TRADE BOBBY NYSTROM


Reading this article was impossible because all you could think was please don 't trade Nystrom, never, no matter what, just DON'T.

So Larry Brooks leaves jounalism to work for the Devils when they move to NJ. Again his first love is hockey, but I guess jounalism is what he is good at so he returns to the Post. What has happened over the past 20 years may have more to do with the business horror show that hockey had become. Sometimes you've got to roll with the punches but for better or worse Brooks hangs in there with his convictions. Unfortunately I think he has become a victim of his convictions.

But if you think that he takes shots at the Islanders you should read his attacks on the Bruins and Blackhawks over the past 20 years for being so cheap and disrespectful of their fans and players. So I believe the shots he takes at US is more his feeling of disappointment of what has happened to the franchise over the past 14 years. I mean for the most part the Islander fans that I speak to agree with a lot of what he says, but I do agree a fair amount of cynicism has crept into his writing, espacially about US.

The easiest thing to do really is not read him any more, but I still need to. As far as the younger Islander fans please go ahead and hate him, ignore him, but deep down I think he is pulling for us to be very good again.

Brooks, NY Post, May 22 1981:

"The Islanders are the champions. Again. The team that wasn't supposed to be able to win the big ones has won the biggest ones in each of the last two springs. They won it last year as underdogs......and in overtime; they won it this year as favorites and had it sealed for the final 20 minutes of play. They won it on pride, and they won it on talent, and they won it on emotion.
The Stanley Cup can't be won any other way."


I don't post much at all, but I lurk very well. I enjoy this board and all of your perspectives.
Lets Go Islanders!

Hurricane Howatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 09:16 PM
  #2
hgo
Registered User
 
hgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
He kind of reminds me of Hradek on ESPN.com, who's supposed to be an Islander fan but still takes relentless shots at them.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 09:21 PM
  #3
goalmachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Islander Country
Country: United States
Posts: 1,092
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to goalmachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtotheIzzo View Post
He kind of reminds me of Hradek on ESPN.com, who's supposed to be an Islander fan but still takes relentless shots at them.
I hate them both...add scott burnside in there too.

goalmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 09:27 PM
  #4
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,846
vCash: 500
I'm allowing this thread but I will predict that it will go sour quickly.

Prove me wrong, guys and allow this thread to stay open.

__________________
No more running. I aim to misbehave.
Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 09:41 PM
  #5
sonnyisles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Howatt View Post
I hope you guys allow this thread considering you just ended the previous Brooks thread.
I love Larry the writer, but mostly I love Brooks the hockey fan. Yes I disagree with many of his articles and I do wince when he takes unnecessary shots at our beloved Islanders but I've never read anyone as passionate about hockey as him.

Back in the mid 70's I am sure many of you know he was the NYPost beat writer for the Isles. He criticized, praised and made many suggestions for this young team. When I moved to, of all places, Buffalo (1978-1981 great years and yes I was at Nystrom's OT goal at The Aud), I had the Post mailed to me just to read Brooks. It would come 2-3 days late sometimes but I needed my fix of Islander hometown reading material and nobody was better. He cared so much about the players. Something that is difficult to see in his current articles. He was so insistant that as crucial as Gilles was to the team he was the wrong choice for captain. He praised Gilles and the team for changeing to Potvin even though Potvin was not the most popular player, he was a great captain. He wrote beautifully about the departure of long time Islander's Billy Harris and Dave Lewis in 1980. You could feel the depth of his sadness, he was losing maybe not friends, but mates, and he shared their sadness in leaving the Island with us. Even so he admitted this was a great trade for Goring. The article he wrote after Bob Bourne's son was born with Spina Bifida was amazing, I wish I saved it. This was not a sports or hockey article. It cut to the heart of a good man (Bourne), a team, a new father with a sick newborn. I had never read a sports article that had nothing to do with sports. It was Brooks' feelings for the players and team he covered that counted.............counted more than salary caps, UFA, the CBA, sports agents, or money period. Brooks wrote about the sport he loves, the players he loves, and he wasn't afraid to tell it his way.

But my favorite byline of all time, it will not be topped, was Brooks' byline for this article in I believe in 1982:


DON'T TRADE BOBBY NYSTROM


Reading this article was impossible because all you could think was please don 't trade Nystrom, never, no matter what, just DON'T.

So Larry Brooks leaves jounalism to work for the Devils when they move to NJ. Again his first love is hockey, but I guess jounalism is what he is good at so he returns to the Post. What has happened over the past 20 years may have more to do with the business horror show that hockey had become. Sometimes you've got to roll with the punches but for better or worse Brooks hangs in there with his convictions. Unfortunately I think he has become a victim of his convictions.

But if you think that he takes shots at the Islanders you should read his attacks on the Bruins and Blackhawks over the past 20 years for being so cheap and disrespectful of their fans and players. So I believe the shots he takes at US is more his feeling of disappointment of what has happened to the franchise over the past 14 years. I mean for the most part the Islander fans that I speak to agree with a lot of what he says, but I do agree a fair amount of cynicism has crept into his writing, espacially about US.

The easiest thing to do really is not read him any more, but I still need to. As far as the younger Islander fans please go ahead and hate him, ignore him, but deep down I think he is pulling for us to be very good again.

Brooks, NY Post, May 22 1981:

"The Islanders are the champions. Again. The team that wasn't supposed to be able to win the big ones has won the biggest ones in each of the last two springs. They won it last year as underdogs......and in overtime; they won it this year as favorites and had it sealed for the final 20 minutes of play. They won it on pride, and they won it on talent, and they won it on emotion.
The Stanley Cup can't be won any other way."


I don't post much at all, but I lurk very well. I enjoy this board and all of your perspectives.
Lets Go Islanders!
I know that I'm in the minority here but I love this post. I still have all of those old articles and love reading them from time to time. I think sometimes people get too emotional and take things too personally instead of just looking at things for what they are. Does Brooks take some unfair shots at the Isles....maybe yes. But look at what has become of this franchise. They haven't advanced past the 1st round of the playoffs since 1993. It's very difficult to write in glowing terms when there hasn't been any success. I know that as fans we want to see positive thigs said and written about the teams that we live and die with, but realistically the team needs to give people (and not just the die hards) something positive to write about. I agree that Brooks is very negative when it comes to the Islanders but a lot of what he writes, no matter how painful it might be to read, is true. I'm not saying that I'm a big fan of his, but I do feel that sometimes the reactions to what he and others write are a little over the top.

sonnyisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 09:43 PM
  #6
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyisles View Post
I'm not saying that I'm a big fan of his, but I do feel that sometimes the reactions to what he and others write are a little over the top.
Us? Overreact? Never!



Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 09:46 PM
  #7
Volek25
Registered User
 
Volek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Volek25
Another Brooks thread, come on, we waste way too much of our time on this guy...I appreciate this post and think it is very insightful about what Brooks used to be like. By no means do I want to make this thread go downhill, but I have to respectfully say that this guy must have had a change of heart or just trying to jump on the "against the Islanders" bandwagon. He has in no way shown in the last few years that he backs the NYI. A guy who had that much respect for a team in the past is not going to all of a sudden go out of his way to put the organization down at every turn. I'm sure everyone in the Islander's glory days were on their side and giving praise, but the true supporters that have a great passion for this team don't throw them under a bus during the tough times. I'm sure there are a lot of people on this board that have stuck with the Islanders through the Dark Ages and beyond, maybe getting mad/frustrated, but never turning against them. Once again, in respect to this board, I don't want to make this a negative thread, but it just seems way to convenient for Brooks to take this route on the NYI...

Volek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 10:21 PM
  #8
CrimsonBruin21
 
CrimsonBruin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volek25 View Post
Another Brooks thread, come on, we waste way too much of our time on this guy...I appreciate this post and think it is very insightful about what Brooks used to be like. By no means do I want to make this thread go downhill, but I have to respectfully say that this guy must have had a change of heart or just trying to jump on the "against the Islanders" bandwagon. He has in no way shown in the last few years that he backs the NYI. A guy who had that much respect for a team in the past is not going to all of a sudden go out of his way to put the organization down at every turn. I'm sure everyone in the Islander's glory days were on their side and giving praise, but the true supporters that have a great passion for this team don't throw them under a bus during the tough times. I'm sure there are a lot of people on this board that have stuck with the Islanders through the Dark Ages and beyond, maybe getting mad/frustrated, but never turning against them. Once again, in respect to this board, I don't want to make this a negative thread, but it just seems way to convenient for Brooks to take this route on the NYI...
Brooks is a slave to his corporate pay masters (which in this case have a vested interest in pleasing Ranger fans and disrespecting the Isles).... but then again aren't we all? Perhaps Isles fans shouldn't HATE the guy.... IGNORE is more appropriate.

The REAL problem is that the Isles are trashed routinely in the Canadian media who pretty much control the "tone" of hockey journalism throughout the continent (all American writers assinged to cover the NHL defer to their Canadian brethern IMHO)... I think this has an incredibly damaging effect when it comes to things like UFA's, national coverage, etc.... I'm sure Ryan Smyth thought he'd been traded to "Hell" when he got the news... fortunately I think he was pleasantly surprised. It shouldn't be that difficult though... I realize the Isles have brought a lot upon themselves... but the Bruins (as an example) have been a disaster on (last Cup in '71) and off the ice (stingy owners, lots of traded fan favorites, dumb contracts, etc.) as well and are pretty much still considered a "crown franchise"...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 10:58 PM
  #9
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,745
vCash: 500
Larry Brooks is the world weekly news of hockey, both are an entertaining read at times.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 11:02 PM
  #10
hgo
Registered User
 
hgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
I'm allowing this thread but I will predict that it will go sour quickly.

Prove me wrong, guys and allow this thread to stay open.
Sorry if my comment kinda put a negative connotation on this, but that's the first thing that came to mind after reading that post.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 07:39 PM
  #11
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Howatt View Post
I hope you guys allow this thread considering you just ended the previous Brooks thread.
I love Larry the writer, but mostly I love Brooks the hockey fan. Yes I disagree with many of his articles and I do wince when he takes unnecessary shots at our beloved Islanders but I've never read anyone as passionate about hockey as him.

Back in the mid 70's I am sure many of you know he was the NYPost beat writer for the Isles. He criticized, praised and made many suggestions for this young team. When I moved to, of all places, Buffalo (1978-1981 great years and yes I was at Nystrom's OT goal at The Aud), I had the Post mailed to me just to read Brooks. It would come 2-3 days late sometimes but I needed my fix of Islander hometown reading material and nobody was better. He cared so much about the players. Something that is difficult to see in his current articles. He was so insistant that as crucial as Gilles was to the team he was the wrong choice for captain. He praised Gilles and the team for changeing to Potvin even though Potvin was not the most popular player, he was a great captain. He wrote beautifully about the departure of long time Islander's Billy Harris and Dave Lewis in 1980. You could feel the depth of his sadness, he was losing maybe not friends, but mates, and he shared their sadness in leaving the Island with us. Even so he admitted this was a great trade for Goring. The article he wrote after Bob Bourne's son was born with Spina Bifida was amazing, I wish I saved it. This was not a sports or hockey article. It cut to the heart of a good man (Bourne), a team, a new father with a sick newborn. I had never read a sports article that had nothing to do with sports. It was Brooks' feelings for the players and team he covered that counted.............counted more than salary caps, UFA, the CBA, sports agents, or money period. Brooks wrote about the sport he loves, the players he loves, and he wasn't afraid to tell it his way.

But my favorite byline of all time, it will not be topped, was Brooks' byline for this article in I believe in 1982:


DON'T TRADE BOBBY NYSTROM


Reading this article was impossible because all you could think was please don 't trade Nystrom, never, no matter what, just DON'T.

So Larry Brooks leaves jounalism to work for the Devils when they move to NJ. Again his first love is hockey, but I guess jounalism is what he is good at so he returns to the Post. What has happened over the past 20 years may have more to do with the business horror show that hockey had become. Sometimes you've got to roll with the punches but for better or worse Brooks hangs in there with his convictions. Unfortunately I think he has become a victim of his convictions.

But if you think that he takes shots at the Islanders you should read his attacks on the Bruins and Blackhawks over the past 20 years for being so cheap and disrespectful of their fans and players. So I believe the shots he takes at US is more his feeling of disappointment of what has happened to the franchise over the past 14 years. I mean for the most part the Islander fans that I speak to agree with a lot of what he says, but I do agree a fair amount of cynicism has crept into his writing, espacially about US.

The easiest thing to do really is not read him any more, but I still need to. As far as the younger Islander fans please go ahead and hate him, ignore him, but deep down I think he is pulling for us to be very good again.

Brooks, NY Post, May 22 1981:

"The Islanders are the champions. Again. The team that wasn't supposed to be able to win the big ones has won the biggest ones in each of the last two springs. They won it last year as underdogs......and in overtime; they won it this year as favorites and had it sealed for the final 20 minutes of play. They won it on pride, and they won it on talent, and they won it on emotion.
The Stanley Cup can't be won any other way."


I don't post much at all, but I lurk very well. I enjoy this board and all of your perspectives.
Lets Go Islanders!
Welcome aboard my friend and fellow Isles fan.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.