HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When did this love affair start with Lundy?

Old
05-02-2007, 11:05 PM
TheRedressor

vCash: 500
definetly the Atlanta game.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:05 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I've always been of two opinions of Lundqvist: I love what a great goalie he is, what a great personality he is, that he's a Ranger.

I hate that he's the Swedish national team goalie... It makes Ola happy, though, so that's ok.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:05 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I've always been of two opinions of Lundqvist: I love what a great goalie he is, what a great personality he is, that he's a Ranger.

I hate that he's the Swedish national team goalie... It makes Ola happy, though, so that's ok.

Looking whos behind him on the depth chart in Sweden, its amazing that we could produce a goalie like that. When Lundqvist came up there where talk about how Sweden couldn't produce great goalies, and that many didn't expect much from Lundqvist because of it. When Hedberg and Holmqvist now have gotten a shot in the NHL Sweden have been forced to rush in a bunch of younger goaltenders, and oh baby do they suck. I am serious, the best Swedish goaltender in Europe is on par with Chris Holt. There are a few guys who are a bit younger that could become decent, but Sweden really sucks at producing goalies. Makes Lundqvists development even more amazing.

I clearly remember Lundqvists first two year in the SEL. He had some good games his first year, and some decent games, ending up with solid numbers, in his 2nd year he had amazing numbers (1.45 .948). Though he was down on his knees all the time. Now he kind of drops down every time there is a shot and the player doesn't got the angle to pick a corner. Though at that time he could drop down and stay down for 30 sec if there was pressure. His play of course was very promising for a young prospect, and he defenitly rised allot IMO in prospect rankings and stuff like that. Though the year after that, 03/04, he really really started to impress. He started to stay up allot more, become much more aggresive in the net. He started to play outside the net, staying on his feet comming out taking away angles, much more "Richter" then what we see from HL in NY right now. Then I really started to like him.

Lundqvist got the talent, no doubt. But we are also darn lucky with every aspect surronding him at the time. Frölunda had a really good team and played really good hockey during Lundqvists year there. He where never under siege, and I think that really gave him time to explore the goalie position and develop his game. His first two years he also split dutys with Fredrik Norrena (CBJ). He was never played too much, and could really build up his confidence. He was also used against the weaker teams allot in the beginning, which certainly helped his confidence.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 05:08 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

I clearly remember Lundqvists first two year in the SEL. He had some good games his first year, and some decent games, ending up with solid numbers, in his 2nd year he had amazing numbers (1.45 .948). Though he was down on his knees all the time. Now he kind of drops down every time there is a shot and the player doesn't got the angle to pick a corner. Though at that time he could drop down and stay down for 30 sec if there was pressure. His play of course was very promising for a young prospect, and he defenitly rised allot IMO in prospect rankings and stuff like that. Though the year after that, 03/04, he really really started to impress. He started to stay up allot more, become much more aggresive in the net. He started to play outside the net, staying on his feet comming out taking away angles, much more "Richter" then what we see from HL in NY right now. Then I really started to like him.

Lundqvist got the talent, no doubt. But we are also darn lucky with every aspect surronding him at the time. Frölunda had a really good team and played really good hockey during Lundqvists year there. He where never under siege, and I think that really gave him time to explore the goalie position and develop his game. His first two years he also split dutys with Fredrik Norrena (CBJ). He was never played too much, and could really build up his confidence. He was also used against the weaker teams allot in the beginning, which certainly helped his confidence.
Actually Norrena and Lundqvist only played together in 2002-03. He got his big brake when Petter Rönnquist got injured in the 2001-02 playoffs. You know, when Nils Ekman gunned for him. I was really impressed with him during 2003-04 when Norrena had left. He had all the pressure on him, being the starting goalie for a defending championship team, at age 21.

You are 100% correct about the fact that he doesn't play as agressive right now. You really noticed the diffrence during the olympics when he was back on the big ice.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 05:32 AM
tinyzombies

I lived in NY at the time and I remember that everyone thought the Rangers were going to suck after the lockout, but they won right away and they started chanting his name pretty early on. He was playing awesome.

I don't understand why some people on here think he came out of nowhere. He was highly touted and it was thought that he might even get lost in the shuffle or something from what I remember. But there was hype in hockey circles.

tinyzombies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:14 AM
Crazyhorse

I love him. When he retires, he will be bigger then Pelle Lindbergh, IMO, and that means the greatest swedish goaltender of all time.

Lundqvist have already beaten Salos post-season record(not to say thats a merit, even still), he have presented back-to-back seasons with 30 or more wins in his first two years in the NHL. He is still young don't forget, he could still improve much more, 25 years is not much by goalie standards.

For me, it all started when he and Norrena brought my favourite team the long wanted SEL-title which we had been waiting for over 25 years. No to mention the lock out-season... That season Lundqvist put up the best effort ever in the SELs history, and he did it when it probably was the best league in the world. His playoff record of 1.05 GAA in 14 games including the finals will be very very hard to beat, if it ever gets broken, it won't, IMO.
Frölundas SEL record, where they let in less then 100 goals, in a whole seaon was much because of Lundqvist(They did this twice, 2002/2003 and 2004/2005). No other team have ever achieved that in the SEL to this date.

I am dreaming of the day he returns to the SEL, and Frölunda, but i wouldn't mind if he brought a SC and a couple of Vezinas with him.

Last edited by Crazyhorse: 05-03-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:16 AM
gaglinefan

Henrik

In an exhibition game 2005 I think vs. the Bruins Henrik played a solid game and seemed to connect with the crowd. We won and he looked tough in the shootout. He fit right away and his competitive nature was clear, his love of the game, the team and the crowd was apparent. That was it for me, in Henrik we trust.

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:30 AM
Stoney La Rock

I heard about him via an Internet hockey site a few years back, and I started to talk him up to my hockey fan friends and relatives. They all thought I was crazy. Then they saw him play, and I was vindicated. I love the guy, not only because he's fantastic, but because he seems like he's genuinely happy and excited to be playing in NY and genuinely grateful for the opportunity to play at all.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 12:45 PM
You 'Orns!

Anyone else remember when he was listed waaaay down the development chart as a kind of darkhorse unknown, below Holmqvist (potential NHL star) and Asplund (better than Holmqvist at the same stage of development)?

To the credit of the writer of Lundqvist's HF profile at the time, if I remember correctly, he or she managed to dig up enough information on this 7th-rounder to note that he had potential to be better than either of the other two Swedes.

Old
05-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Ola

Quote:
Anyone else remember when he was listed waaaay down the development chart as a kind of darkhorse unknown, below Holmqvist (potential NHL star) and Asplund (better than Holmqvist at the same stage of development)?

To the credit of the writer of Lundqvist's HF profile at the time, if I remember correctly, he or she managed to dig up enough information on this 7th-rounder to note that he had potential to be better than either of the other two Swedes.
Yeah, and that Lundqvist was left of HF, TSN, THN and co's top 50 list after he had a great year in the SEL and was named the best goalie in the WCH. I doubt THN even had him on our top 10 list...

After he owned the SEL with a ton of NHL stars he was ranked 20th or something.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 05:02 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:

I didn't know Lebanon had a hockey team

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 05:09 PM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
I didn't know Lebanon had a hockey team
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=8757

I'm actually refererring to my other half, which is Finnish.