HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign WHL All-Star Defenseman Michael Busto

Old
05-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Haven't been all that impressed with Mara. But at the same time, he just got here. Puckmoving D's needs time with a new team. They need to get to know the forwards, how the team plays ect.

I got no big problems with that he isn't the fastest player, or stuff like that. But he have kind of struggled moving the puck, not had that poise. He doesn't make big misstakes, but he often runs out of time and is forced to make a so-so pass.

I don't see many players that I like in this years UFA crop. We should wait.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 05:44 PM
alkurtz

I'd be careful saying that we should move this guy or that guy. You can never, ever have enough D. They're like pitchers: just when you think you have enough, a whole bunch go down with injuries. I think every team needs a core group of 10 D men, including those on the NHL roster and those in the AHL who can step in and play. That of course opens up AHL spots to be filled by ECHL guys. So I'm loathe to just give Malik or Rachunek away (and I really don't like Rachunek) for mid or low draft picks. Off season NHL trades seemingly are becoming rarer and rarer. So, work with the number 10 when you think about the Rangers next year.
As for Girardi, heard a conversation recently (perhaps between Kenny Albert and Dave Maloney on Rangers On Demand from practice a few days ago, though it could have been elsewhere, even somewhere here on the boards) that discussed the point about him not being drafted. There were concerns about his skaking and that his skillset just wasn't right for the pre-NHL game. But with the emphasis for Dmen now being on positioning and smarts and being able to make a quick first pass, rather than on brute strength in front of the net, Girardi's game is perfect for the new NHL.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
I'd be careful saying that we should move this guy or that guy. You can never, ever have enough D. They're like pitchers: just when you think you have enough, a whole bunch go down with injuries. I think every team needs a core group of 10 D men, including those on the NHL roster and those in the AHL who can step in and play. That of course opens up AHL spots to be filled by ECHL guys. So I'm loathe to just give Malik or Rachunek away (and I really don't like Rachunek) for mid or low draft picks. Off season NHL trades seemingly are becoming rarer and rarer. So, work with the number 10 when you think about the Rangers next year.
That's why I'd rather trade Malik at the deadline, when GMs are looking for steady veteran defensemen such as Malik. Rachunek... the brass would see how he will progress through the playoffs and then would make a decision. i think.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:10 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
That's why I'd rather trade Malik at the deadline, when GMs are looking for steady veteran defensemen such as Malik. Rachunek... the brass would see how he will progress through the playoffs and then would make a decision. i think.
no team would be dumb to trade 4 Malik.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:03 AM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
no team would be dumb to trade 4 Malik.
IDK about that, i think somone would take him......

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:13 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Apple View Post
IDK about that, i think somone would take him......
he makes way too much for his role. on most teams he would be a 5-6 dman. he is a slow skater for the new nhl. alot of speedy forwards go to his side, i noticed that in the thrashers series as well as the sabres.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 07:10 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Right. So, he'll be a pending UFA come the February 2008 deadline, which is exactly what the GMs want - an expiring contract. And let's face it - Malik is having outstanding +/- stat season in and season out (nevermind the value of the stat), sound positionally, good 1st pass... I mean, what's for another GM not to like about him? But either way, he's gone after the 2007-2008 season. I wouldn't want to sign a FA to replace Malik because I would want to give a Hartford kid a chance. And I feel that we should give benefit of the doubt to our youngsters. I've always felt jealous of teams with home-grown cores. I wish for our Rangers to be such a team.
But do you really think the Rangers will carry Malik to next February's trading deadline if he isn't playing well and the young defensemen in Hartford are banging down the door looking for their opportunities?They have already shown that they are not afraid to waive a player and assign him to Hartford-Sandis Ozolinsh and Darius Kasparaitis.Ozolinsh came up lame after being assigned to Hartford

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
But do you really think the Rangers will carry Malik to next February's trading deadline if he isn't playing well and the young defensemen in Hartford are banging down the door looking for their opportunities?They have already shown that they are not afraid to waive a player and assign him to Hartford-Sandis Ozolinsh and Darius Kasparaitis.Ozolinsh came up lame after being assigned to Hartford
Malik is only 31 y/o, though he looked really tired early this season. It was defenitly not a given which one of Malik and Kaspar would be sent down there for a while, Malik played awful and had problems competing with a friendly ghost who belonged in a wheel chair due to a banged up body.

If Malik can't get into better shape he might not make it out of camp. Though, if he plays like he have so far in the Play Offs I could even see him getting resigned. Its all about staying fresh, in aspects like moving the puck D's often just gets better and better with age.

Old
05-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR957 View Post
Has Sauer even been signed yet? I don't remember him doing so. Correct me if wrong.
I think Sauer was signed right away, could be wrong though.

Old
05-04-2007, 10:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR957 View Post
Has Sauer even been signed yet? I don't remember him doing so. Correct me if wrong.
Sauer was signed last August-8/8/06

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Contrary to many Ranger fans, I see a solid and steady, if unspectacular defenseman in Malik. I don't consider him our best defenseman and I wasn't happy when they signed him, but as a fan, I have no say in personnel decisions. All I can do is support the organization and its employees. To this point, I think that he has done a satisfactory (not great, mind you) job as Rozsival's partner (other than his gaffe in Game 2). So, to answer your question - yes, I think that if Malik will continue to play steadily, he'll have a spot come October. It's a far cry between Malik and Ozo or between Malik and Kaspar who hasn't recovered from his injuries and looked worse than Colton Orr on skates. As for kids banging down the door - I believe it's Rachunek's door that they're banging on. IMO, unless Rachunek will return to March pre-injury form, he won't be qualified. So the fight for Mara's partner's spot would be between Pock, Staal, Baranka, Lampman (unless he's going to be a UFA).

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote