HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cornell Hockey at MSG: 11/24/07

Old
05-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Servo

vCash: 500
Cornell Hockey at MSG: 11/24/07

I know there are a few fellow Lynah Faithful such as Xander who post here, so in case anyone didn't know, Cornell is playing BU at the Garden on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It should be fun to see our Red play on our Rangers' ice.

Fittingly, the first game ever played at Lynah Rink was between the Blueshirts and the Rochester Amerks on March 21, 1957.

Anyway, for any of you who haven't really experienced college hockey, a Cornell game is a great one to start with. The crowd should be great, especially considering the sheer number of CU grads in NYC.

Let's Go Rangers! Let's Go Red!

Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:07 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
That'll be a hell of a game... I'm a Quinnipiac student, and I follow quite a bit of college hockey. BU is a top 10 team, and Cornell is trying to get back there after an off year.

Cornell has great fans. Respecful but loud, even to the opposition's fans.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Great news !

When was the last time Div.1 hockey was played at MSG?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
That'll be a hell of a game... I'm a Quinnipiac student, and I follow quite a bit of college hockey. BU is a top 10 team, and Cornell is trying to get back there after an off year.

Cornell has great fans. Respecful but loud, even to the opposition's fans.
Cornell had a very young team last year, and should improve consistently.

Quinnipiac made a huge leap last year, so I expect them to challenge for the ECAC title again.

Old
05-03-2007, 06:11 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
That's pretty cool. I've never seen a college hockey game in person. I saw Cornell play Columbia in football last year and I know that the Big Red definitely have a ton of fans/grads, so that should be fun.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Great news !

When was the last time Div.1 hockey was played at MSG?
Not sure, but it looks like there was a tournament held at the Garden in 1998.

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,1437/EC...enDoubleheader

Edit: The last game was 2003. Here's the release about the CU-BU game.

http://www.uscho.com/collegesports/b...ttleAtMSG.html

Old
05-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Servo

"We were all watching the Rangers-Sabres game today, and seeing them play at Madison Square Garden, how loud it was and the atmosphere and things, we can't wait for ourselves to be out there," said [Cornell] men's hockey assistant captain Topher Scott. "I've never played in front of that many people before; I doubt a lot of the guys on the team have. So, yeah, it's just something that we're pretty pumped for."

Old
05-03-2007, 06:50 PM
xander

Thanks to Servo for posting this, I've been meaning to put this on the Ranger board for some time now, but I never got around to it. I just bought my ticket a few days ago. I got mine through Cornell and it was only $15. I would expect that the prices are cheaper for students than the general public, but even so, this is still the cheapest hockey you'll ever see at MSG.

Some additional background: While Cornell and BU now play in different conferences, this rivalry goes back decades. Before the formation of Hockey East in the early 80s, the ECAC was a much bigger conference that encompassed most of eastern college hockey. During the late 60's and early to mid 70's Cornell and BU where the two powerhouses of the ECAC, with Cornell winning the league in 67', 68', 69’,70’ and 73, and BU in 72', and in 74' through 78'. The two programs where also prominent on the national level, combing for 5 national titles (Cornell in 67' and 70', and BU in 71', 72' and 78'.)

Further adding to the historical significance of this game is that the ECAC tournaments where often played at MSG during those years.

Cornell and BU have played sparingly since the ECAC/Hockey East split in 1983, but the rivalry is so ingrained that we still shout 'Screw BU' at each and every game at Lynah.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Sports Archaeologist

Cornell '06 and current graduate student here. Very stoked for this - it combines two very important things in my life...the 'Shirts and Cornell!

Sports Archaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:18 PM
nyrmetros

Is there a market for college hockey at MSG?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:20 PM
xander

whether or not there is a broader market for college hockey in NYC I couldn't say, but Cornell and BU both draw a ton of their student bodies from the greater new york metro area. I also know that the NY Cornell Club is quite active as well, not so sure about BU.

So, atleast for these two schools, I'd say there's a market.

Old
05-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Servo

Xander, where are your seats? I didn't think to call the Athletic Ticket Office. I purchased best available from ticketbastard and got seats in section 45 for $49.

Old
05-03-2007, 07:33 PM
xander

330, which is, I believe, the Cornell aloted secion. Sounds like you got alot closer to the ice for the extra $35.

This is the offical Cornell site for the game. http://bigredatmsg.com/

$15 for students (in the 300s) is the cheapest. You need a Cornell ID to get those, but I'm not sure if there's a limit to how many one student can buy. Maybe I can snag a bunch. Non-Student seats in the 300s are $24. Seats in the 100s are $29 and bigshots like Servo can pay $49 to sit rinkside. As I said before, the cheapest hockey you'll ever see at MSG. And no matter who you root for, it's the easiest wardrobe choice you'll ever make, as everyone should be in red (for those that don't know, Cornell and BU have extreemly similiar unis.)

Last edited by xander: 05-03-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old
05-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Servo

They looked like a good view from the interactive seating chart. It will be my girlfriend's first Cornell game, so I want to make a good impression If not Lynah, might as well be the Garden.

I keeping my fingers crossed that they won't just put the Garden in hockey mode for a single college game, and that the Rangers will also have a home game that weekend.

Old
05-03-2007, 07:43 PM
xander

A double header would have made sense, too much sense for either the Garden and the Cornell athletic office to come up with.

Last edited by xander: 05-03-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old
05-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
330, which is, I believe, the Cornell aloted secion. Sounds like you got alot closer to the ice for the extra $35.

This is the offical Cornell site for the game. http://bigredatmsg.com/

$15 for students (in the 300s) is the cheapest. You need a Cornell ID to get those, but I'm not sure if there's a limit to how much one student can buy. Maybe I can snag a bunch. Non-Student seats in the 300s are $24. Seats in the 100s are $29 and bigshots like servo can pay $49 to sit rinkside. As I said before, the cheapest hockey you'll ever see at MSG.
Hey, I'm an old fart from the class of 2001. It was either pay extra or get bifocals.

Old
05-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Crease

That's awesome. I'm transferring there in the fall. Maybe I'll be home for Thanksgiving break and can go.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:54 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
That's awesome. I'm transferring there in the fall. Maybe I'll be home for Thanksgiving break and can go.
I transfered in too. Where are they housing you? I know they're tearing down the transfer center after this semester.

Hope to see you at Lynah.

Old
05-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Servo

Quote:
Congrats. Its worth the tuition to be a Lynah season ticket holder!

Old
05-03-2007, 07:57 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
A double header would have made sense, too much sense for either the Garden and the Cornell athletic office to come up with.
When's the last time there was a doubleheader in any sport outside of baseball and soccer?

Old
05-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
When's the last time there was a doubleheader in any sport outside of baseball and soccer?
I'm pretty sure Cornell and BU wouldn't get too tired from watching the Rangers play

Old
05-03-2007, 08:02 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
this is true, but that doesn't meen that it wouldn't have made sense. They hold Ranger games and Knicks games on the same days, so it's well within the garden's capability.

And I'm not suggesting that both games be covered under one ticket, but it would have been smart to have done a Day/Night doubleheader with the Ranger game at night. They could have given half off admission to the Cornell/BU game to Ranger's season ticket holders, which would have been great because the game probably won't sell out.

Last edited by xander: 05-03-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old
05-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Crease

Quote:
I transfered in too. Where are they housing you? I know they're tearing down the transfer center after this semester.

Hope to see you at Lynah.
Yeah they're doing some rebuilding on campus right now. From what I understand, the Hansbrouck Community Apartments are going to serve as the temporary Transfer Center for next year.

My sister, who graduated from Human Ecology in 2006 warned me to stay close to where the action is and recommended Sheldon or Cascadilla.

Any suggestions?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 08:07 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
this is true, but that doesn't meen that it wouldn't have made sense. They hold Ranger games and Knicks games on the same dyas, so it's well within the garden's capability.

And I'm not suggesting that both games be covered under one ticket, but it would have been smart to have done a Day/Night doubleheader with the Ranger game at night. They could have given half off admission to the Cornell/BU game to Ranger's season ticket holders, which would have been great because the game probably won't sell out.
I am in agreement with you. It would be great for ALL hockey fans. Was just wondering myself when was the last time a doubleheader occurred not involving a baseball or soccer team. Specifically hockey....

Old
05-03-2007, 08:23 PM
xander

Quote:
Yeah they're doing some rebuilding on campus right now. From what I understand, the Hansbrouck Community Apartments are going to serve as the temporary Transfer Center for next year.

My sister, who graduated from Human Ecology in 2006 warned me to stay close to where the action is and recommended Sheldon or Cascadilla.

Any suggestions?
Housbrouck is way out there at the top of North Campus. On top of that, alot of grad students with families live in those apartments, and they're grumbling about having undergrads living in proximity.

The problem with getting housing as a transfer student is that housing draw is in febuary, and by the time transfers get to pick housing there isn't much left. But you might as well try anyway. Cascadilla and Sheldon are great because they're right smack in the middle of collegetown, but they also fill up quickly and I doubt that there is space left. I know it's a contentious subject, but I love Risley (the art dorm) and spent alot of time there during my first year. If your a bit artsy, or atleast alittle strange, you'll fit in there, otherwise you might end up hating it. I applied to live there as a transfer and got waitlisted till second semester (at which point I didn't want to uproot.) The new West campus dorms are nice on the inside (though I hate how they look from the outside.) The gothics are gorgeous, but they also fill up quickly.

Somthing else to consider is travel time. Cornell is huge (the size of the place can't really be described, you just have to experiance it) and your walk to class will vary gretly depending on where you live. If your on west campus, where I lived my first year, your going to walk up and down the slope a couple times a day, which is quite good for you and also quite exhausting. The southern end of north campus is, in contrast, about a 2 minute walk from the arts quad, and it's flat. If you end up in Houghton your probably talking about a 10 minute walk, downhill, to central campus (of course you'll have to walk uphill on your way home.) You'll also be walking through the heart of north campus, which means wading through hoardes of freshman. Personally, I always feel that a sense of social akwardness and sexual desperation pervades the place, but maybe it's just me.

Last edited by xander: 05-03-2007 at 08:29 PM.