HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff tries to plant seed with officials

Old
05-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime08091985 View Post
Yea, Zubrus gets the same treatment.
Yes. Zubrus is surely the talent that Jagr is. When was the last time Zubrus carried three guys on his back to the net for a scoring opportunity?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:26 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
With all due respect, you figure in Jagr's ice time and the amount of time he possesses the puck while on the ice...Jagr has it worse

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Balej20*

I think this sound bite needs to be updated to include Ruff's latest Gem's.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 WGR BUFFALO CRYING.mp3‎ (973.5 KB, 16 views)

Old
05-04-2007, 12:29 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

This should bother us Sabre fans way more than it should bother you guys. It's a sign of a coach taking desperate measures to spark his team out of this funk filled with lackluster play.

Nothing for Ranger fans to worry about... if the Sabres skate full speed the whole game, penalties will come regardless. If they don't, it'll look like you guys are "obstructing" the Sabres but in reality it's just a slow Buffalo team. I don't see anything changing from an officiating standpoint.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuddy View Post
This should bother us Sabre fans way more than it should bother you guys. It's a sign of a coach taking desperate measures to spark his team out of this funk filled with lackluster play.

Nothing for Ranger fans to worry about... if the Sabres skate full speed the whole game, penalties will come regardless. If they don't, it'll look like you guys are "obstructing" the Sabres but in reality it's just a slow Buffalo team.
No chance the Rangers may be outplaying them though, right? Nah, not possible. This arrogance is getting pretty old real fast.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:32 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
By the way, when you dump the puck in, you're allowed to get hit, it's called following through with the play. Idiot doesn't even know the rules.
This is what I thought as well. Not exactly sure what Ruff is objecting to.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Dr. Zoidberg

Quote:
This is nothing new, and he always gets his ****ing way. I guarantee you there will be 100 calls now against the Rangers in game 5. This ****ing coach is pathetic.
So if less interference is allowed in game 5 and the game is played in a manner befitting Buffalo, isnt this a strong move by Ruff? Their success is largely predicated on the officials calling the game tightly. Avery utilized the media at the start of the series to play mind games; how is this any different? Its the playoffs, and over his 10 or so years in Buffalo, Ruff has consistently used the media to attempt to get his team the upper hand.

Dr. Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg View Post
So if less interference is allowed in game 5 and the game is played in a manner befitting Buffalo, isnt this a strong move by Ruff? Their success is largely predicated on the officials calling the game tightly. Avery utilized the media at the start of the series to play mind games; how is this any different? Its the playoffs, and over his 10 or so years in Buffalo, Ruff has consistently used the media to attempt to get his team the upper hand.
haha I know. It's sad.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:36 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
I think this sound bite needs to be updated to include Ruff's latest Gem's.
Seriously?

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:37 AM
NYR2

Quote:
I can almost gurantee you will see a game called like game three where the Sabres got 6 straight PP's.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. I'm actually expecting it.

NYR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Avery utilized the media at the start of the series to play mind games; how is this any different?
Um, because Avery's comments were directed towards the opposing team, you know, how a playoff series is supposed to be. Ruff is trying to get a third man involved (refs) to help his team win. That is not gamesmanship. Not even close. It is a desperate coach grasping at straws because he knows his team has been outplayed for three straight games and is lucky not to be down 3-1 right now.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:41 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
No chance the Rangers may be outplaying them though, right? Nah, not possible. This arrogance is getting pretty old real fast.
You're the only one foolish enough to take what I'm saying as arrogance. We're OBVIOUSLY being outplayed by the Rangers. If we weren't being outplayed, the series wouldn't be tied.

We are a few Miller saves from being down 3-1 in this series. But the Sabres haven't even come close to playing anywhere near their capabilities. Part of that is inexplicable, and part of that is due to the Rangers (see my thread created on the Buffalo board about giving the Rangers credit).

But I think if the Sabres play like they can, they could win the next 2 games. If that's arrogance, then I really need a break from the message boards...

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Dr. Zoidberg

Quote:
haha I know. It's sad.
But why? Winning is the ultimate goal. Many coaches and players partake in similar actions; I used Avery as a pertinent example. At any rate, trying to debate a point with you is about as useful as hitting my head against a brick wall. Off to, ehem, edit some of my settings.

Dr. Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
But why? Winning is the ultimate goal. Many coaches and players partake in similar actions; I used Avery as a pertinent example. At any rate, trying to debate a point with you is about as useful as hitting my head against a brick wall. Off to, ehem, edit some of my settings.
You're coming over to the Rangers board and you're going to block me because I don't agree with you on something. Real mature.

Anyway, your point on Avery was responded to above...and very well I might add.

Old
05-04-2007, 01:33 AM
eco's bones

It's hard for any team to go through a very competitive game without commiting any fouls. It's not so much the penalties called on you--it's just that you expect things to go both ways. Of the two teams IMO the Sabres have gotten the benefit of the doubt more than us--however there are coaches that complain bitterly over every call. Pat Quinn is another example. You could give him 20 pwp's to 2 for the other team and he'd still cry that his team was getting screwed. Lindy's always done this--and it's completely in character. Hopefully the game is called fair--or more or less fair. Officiating is usually horrible anyway.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:38 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

thats called being a smart coach. hes doing everything he can to help his team win. think the refs wont start looking at us harder through the neutral zone and into our own zone? youre kididng yourself if you think this wont help his team.

hes a helluva coach.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 02:40 AM
jgrangers2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
Probably OT, but Jagr gets the least amount of respect from the officials in the entire league. He gets hooked, hacked, and grabbed on every shift and never gets a damn call.

And the reason is painfully simple, he doesn't dive. You'd think the league would award him for not diving, but instead they go and give the flopping Sabres every call in the book.

Just count tomorrow night how many times Jagr falls down vs. Briere. It's staggering.
The reason he doesn't get these calls are that, in this case, Jagr's size go against him. He is so big and strong that a little hook will only cause him to slow down instead of fall down while Briere, who's 6 inches shorter and 70 pounds lighter than Jagr, will be easily taken down by the slightest of tugs.

Now, this is the problem. The refs too often look at the end result as to whether or not they call a penalty when they should just look at the action.

jgrangers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 05:43 AM
Chimp

I don't get what Ruff is whining about, it's not like the Buffalo players aren't doing the exact same thing in their gameplan.

It's that "oops, did I skate in front of you trying to forecheck the dump and chase for a second?" thing and both teams are doing it.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 05:46 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
You're coming over to the Rangers board and you're going to block me because I don't agree with you on something. Real mature.

Anyway, your point on Avery was responded to above...and very well I might add.
Maybe you should give him Vinnies watch.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 05:47 AM
HAPPY HOUR

[QUOTE=Millertime08091985;9171119]Yea, Zubrus gets the same treatment.[/Q

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 06:55 AM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Unless the rangers can somehow magically blow the sabres out tonight it's going to be real tough to pull off a win. Guarentee one of 2 things will happen: 1. rangers score a goal and then get 6 penalties called against them or 2. game starts off with rangers getting like 4 or 5 calls against them to the sabres 1-2. Either way I don't see this game being too amusing tonight.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 06:59 AM
MrRuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
thats called being a smart coach. hes doing everything he can to help his team win. think the refs wont start looking at us harder through the neutral zone and into our own zone? youre kididng yourself if you think this wont help his team.

hes a helluva coach.
we have a winner. A coach isnt there to be called "classy" by opposing team's fans. He is there to make a team win. If it takes whining (even though its subtle) to do that he will do it.

He wont win popularity contests thats for sure but then thats not what he gets paied for.

The media is a great tool to swing opinions and spark the fans and intensity of a series. Handling the media in a (for his team) favorable way is also part of coaching.

MrRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 07:04 AM
BroadwayBlueshirt85

So making excuses for your team makes you a great coach now?

BroadwayBlueshirt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 07:30 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
I can almost gurantee you will see a game called like game three where the Sabres got 6 straight PP's.
I was worried about this based soley on the no-goal call, like a make-up kiss from the league. Now you have Ruff making these comments which are obviously a plea to get calls his way. I felt like we got a shift in officiating in game 4 because of the Rachunek goal... I wouldn't say it was wildly in our favor but the best officiated game for us in the series. I don't really feel like Ruff is out of line for what he's doing, I wouldn't say he's better or worse than Renney for his actions. His job is to get his team to win games and if this wins him game 5 than bravo to the Sabres' coach.

This of course doesn't guarentee that the Sabres get the calls. The officials might feel embarassed or resent Ruff calling them out publically. They might get bent out of shape that the team that is abusing the interference and obstruction is complaining about the lack of enforcement. Maybe they'll start calling it on us but really come down on the Sabres as well.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 08:02 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Yes, i felt so bad for him when he elbowed Jagr in the head with no call. I hope his elbow is okay because of this injustice.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote