HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rozsival

Old
05-03-2007, 04:50 PM
DontStaal

vCash: 500
Rozsival

I remember a lot of guys on here were highly critical of Rosie's play this year and last year. He has obviously risen to our #1 defenseman in my book.

With him in the lineup, our PP point is clicking, our PK is tough, Malik's mistakes are accounted for (sorry had to), etc. Without him, well just look at Game 2.

My question... do you guys think that with his performance in these playoffs (where I think he has seriously upped his game) he as become a top defensemen in the league?

Thoughts? Opinions? The Buffalo Sabre fans are definitely recognizing his play

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:51 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I don't think he was looked down on last season, he was considered our #1.

This year he was brutal in the first month and a half coming off his injury and he took a lot of heat from it on the board. But he played great since December and has been one of those special players that picked up his game to a new level in the playoffs.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
I remember a lot of guys on here were highly critical of Rosie's play this year and last year. He has obviously risen to our #1 defenseman in my book.

With him in the lineup, our PP point is clicking, our PK is tough, Malik's mistakes are accounted for (sorry had to), etc. Without him, well just look at Game 2.

My question... do you guys think that with his performance in these playoffs (where I think he has seriously upped his game) he as become a top defensemen in the league?

Thoughts? Opinions? The Buffalo Sabre fans are definitely recognizing his play
I remember having allot of heated debates on Rozsival. Though, in all fairness, after watching him in Pittsburgh and his first season here in NY, at first the defense for him was that he was playing solid hockey, while many thought he didn't belong.

The way he is playing now though, I don't know what to say. Nobody saw that comming. Obviously playing D is about beeing consistant, though there aren't that many D's in the game who I rather would have then Rozsival right now. Rozsival is dooing it all, really solid defense, he makes just spectacular plays cutting of players and just taking away the puck, and then moves it really well the other direction. Not only that, he is shooting the puck really well too, and have become a big offensive threat.

We can look at someone like Kubina, he doesn't got it in him to play as well as Rozi is dooing right now, and he is a 6m D. Someone like Souray can only dream about it, he will probably become a 5-6m D.

We shouldn't fool ourselfs, Rozi got allot left before he can be compared with the top 4 D's in this league. The next 10 after thoose 4 is a matter of taste, but Rozsival playing like he does right now defenitly belongs somewhere in there.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I was never a big fan but he's shown that he can play a steady 20-plus minutes a game. Good shot from the point, he has to work on finding the open lanes like he did scoring the OT goal in game 3.

He makes a good pairing with Malik, the Bert & Ernie duo

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:21 PM
dank

yea, he might be our defacto #1 defenseman, but he is sure as hell not a #1 D-man..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Even I have to say Lets not get ahead of ourselves here...

Rozsival is a good #4 defensemen who has stepped up his game in the playoffs..

I've been a huge fan since last season...but...to expect Rozsival to do this over the course of next season is asking for disappointment...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:36 PM
HockeyBurd*

He is playing well considering the tremendous responsibility that has been imparted upon him. But he is in no way, shape or form a legit #1 D-man. But then again, there are plenty of teams without a legit #1 if we are talking about a guy who consistently performs like somebody who can be mentioned in Norris talks. Ideally, Rozsival would be on the second pair and not asked to play the kinds of minutes he has been playing. But the fact that he has 10 G and 40 pts this season really says a lot about the admirable job he has done. 6 important points in 8 playoff games as well. You gotta give him his due.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Madness

I have only one thing to say regarding Rozsival's play as of late and that is...........

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:43 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Michal Rozsival has more goals in these playoffs than Danny Briere.

Besides that fact, he has been amazing on defense as well as the power play. He has easily been our best defensman in the playoffs.

With that said, however, he is simply not one of the best in the league. The Rangers play a team-centric defensive style and no one on our D-core is an all star. When he is out though, it's like the lynchpin has been removed.

PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 08:22 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNiteDumpsterBaby View Post
Michal Rozsival has more goals in these playoffs than Danny Briere.

Besides that fact, he has been amazing on defense as well as the power play. He has easily been our best defensman in the playoffs.

With that said, however, he is simply not one of the best in the league. The Rangers play a team-centric defensive style and no one on our D-core is an all star. When he is out though, it's like the lynchpin has been removed.
I'll stick my neck out here and say that his play warrants the label of one of the better Defenseman in the NHL - I won't say he is one of THE best, but I will put him in the top 25%. The guy is very poised with the puck, mostly makes good decisions with it and he is very sound defending. Throw in the fact that he is playing hurt and has some grit to him and he gets my vote as one of the better NHL defenseman.

RANGERDIEHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 08:24 PM
bleedblue94

certainly not a #1 but lets be serious... hes not a #4. he is a VERY solid #3 but more likely a good #2 but the bottom line is he has stepped up this year where last year he whittled and looked awful in the playoffs. i was one of the people who thought he was not a good fit here, but he has completely proven me wrong. in all honesty if he could get away from malek i think he would only get better bc he wouldnt have to worry aboutcovering for so many mistakes

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 08:43 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I don't think he was looked down on last season.
With all due respect, you have got to be kidding. He was brutalized here last year. Some of it well earned but much of it naive and nasty.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 09:53 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
With all due respect, you have got to be kidding. He was brutalized here last year. Some of it well earned but much of it naive and nasty.
I really don't remember him getting ripped that bad. At times yea..but not that often...I thought most thought he played solid..which he did most of the time.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 11:07 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

It's all about the right situation. Under the Rangers system, Rozsival can play like a top pairing defenseman. It helps that most of his even strength icetime comes with Jagr's line out there which more often than not, controls possession and keeps the puck in the offensive zone. He has been solid for months now.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 11:07 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
I really don't remember him getting ripped that bad. At times yea..but not that often...I thought most thought he played solid..which he did most of the time.
i admit i bashed him alot but he played very well this year, better than last year. Id bring him back next year, 2 years at most. right now id dump rachunek for a draft pick, maybe on draft day we can get something. teams can use dman that can skate. his offense aint that great, i always thought he was a bit overrated in that department. Maybe a team like the Jackets or Bolts would consider him. that would leave a spot for Pock, he needs to play. Staal would go to Hartford to get alot of ice time. Injuries do happen so he would be one of the first to be called up with Baranka, Liffiton, Busto.. A guy Id like to see get a shot is Lampman. He almost made the team a few years ago but injuries hurt him, and hopefully Baranka would go through that as it seemed this year he got hurt.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 11:09 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
certainly not a #1 but lets be serious... hes not a #4. he is a VERY solid #3 but more likely a good #2 but the bottom line is he has stepped up this year where last year he whittled and looked awful in the playoffs. i was one of the people who thought he was not a good fit here, but he has completely proven me wrong. in all honesty if he could get away from malek i think he would only get better bc he wouldnt have to worry aboutcovering for so many mistakes
i agree, malik brings him down. when Rozsival played while Malik was hurt, Rozsival played better and more grittier.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 11:30 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Oh he was ripped alright last year - especially by the "old school" posters on here.

RANGERDIEHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:37 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I was calling for Roszival's head for pretty much every game starting at the beginning of last season until midway through this season. However, since his play in the playoffs he has really won me over.
I would say he still is far from an elite defender, but he is a very servicable defender. I'd say he'd be a solid #2 defender on a team with a good D-core and a great #3 defender.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:23 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hes a good defenseman, but lets be real folks, hes a #2-3 on just about any decent team out there.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:26 AM
eco's bones

He's played well and picked it up a level in the postseason. He's not a Number 1. He and Tyutin and Girardi are the guys I feel most comfortable with. Malik apart from the brain cramp he has now and again has also played fairly well--it's just that one completely stupid maneuver in game 2 may in the end cost us the series. PK wise he's been solid. I thought Pöck played well in Atlanta. Rachunek and Mara have not been bad either but they are the weakest pairing--as of now. Mara if he gets caught out on a long **** gets gassed--same with Malik sometimes.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
He's played well and picked it up a level in the postseason. He's not a Number 1. He and Tyutin and Girardi are the guys I feel most comfortable with. Malik apart from the brain cramp he has now and again has also played fairly well--it's just that one completely stupid maneuver in game 2 may in the end cost us the series. PK wise he's been solid. I thought Pöck played well in Atlanta. Rachunek and Mara have not been bad either but they are the weakest pairing--as of now. Mara if he gets caught out on a long **** gets gassed--same with Malik sometimes.
Malik is such a terrible defenseman, its not even funny.

The strange thing about this guy is that, sometimes for 10, 20, even 30 minutes at a time, hes flat out brilliant. excellent positioning, perfect, no hesitation passes to start the rush. perfect board work to neutralize the forecheck, i mean, the guy can be a flat out dominating defenseman at times. then, equally for 10, 20, 30 minutes at a times, hes a bumbling, moron who wouldnt make the right play if there was a gigantic arrow pointing him in the direction he should pass. he'll turn the puck over, he'll get caught on a bad line change, he'll get too far outside on a player and theyll cut back in and make him look like an idiot.

its this dichotomy that I simply abhor him for. To me, hes a terrible defenseman because he CAN be so good, yet often is just so bad.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 04:02 AM
Ola

So far in the PO's, I think he have been elite. There are so many D's out there who can't dream of bringing such a complete game as he have.

I mean if we look at other D's, who could play so well both ways in such a big role as Rozsival have so far? Its a short period, only 8 games, so maybe its a bit unrealistic to make a comparision like this, I don't know. But I am really impressed with his performance.

Though, we can take away the top four, Kaberle, Lidström, Nieds and Pronger, they are on another planet. But after that.

Dan Boyle- Makes far to many misstakes defensivly to keep such a high level.
Bryan McCabe- Doesn't got the agility to play nearly as high defense as Rozi does. Doesn't move the puck as well. When Roz is scoring from the blueline, 3 in 8, McCabe can take a seat.
Brian Rafalski- Isn't as physical defensivly, nor as good either. Got a step on Roz when it comes to passing the puck though. If I had the chance to swap like it was a computer game, I think Rafalski would have problems to top the way Roz have battled for us.
Jay Bouwmeester- I think he have really started to pick it up lately for Florida. Though right now there is the experience factor. Dion Phaneuf certainly wasn't impressiev for Detroit either. Both are kind of misstake prone.
Sergei Gonchar- Just doesn't got the defense.
Sheldon Souray- I defenitly behind Roz defensivly as well. Don't move the puck as well. Battles harder.
Kimmo Timmonen- Got a big weakness in his size and defense in his own end. Hard for him to play such a complete game as Roz have so far. Though he is a heck of a player.
Zedno Chara- Hard to compare with. I think Chara still could be a monster for a good team, allot harder for him on a team like Boston, put him in Anaheim instead of Pronger and who knows, he could be a Norris Candidate. Though isn't great when hanged out to dry...
Kevin Bieksa- I just think Roz got a higher natrual level of hockey sense and is better defenivly then him.

My point is that I got a hard time finding 60 D's in the NHL who I even think remotly could step in and play as well as Rozival. I also got a hard time finding 30 D's in the NHL that even got potential to play as well as Rozsival have both ways so far. Top 15, now it becomes a matter of taste, but when Roz is scoring from the blueline I would put him in it.

There are allot of great up and comming D's, the guys in Nashville, Bouwmeester and co. They will peak pretty high. Though comparing Rozivals play with the last generation of top D's, like Gonchar, McCabe, Souray, Rafalski, Öhlund, Jovanovski and co I haven't seen anyone of them play a complete hockey game from a blueline in the NHL in a long time.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 06:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Rozsival didn't take alot of abuse?Are you kidding?Some people wanted the Rangers to dump Rozsival so the Rangers could sign Brian Leetch.When the Rangers gave Roszival the 2 year/$4.2 million contract last summer,you would have thought it was a 15 year Charles Wang special

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 06:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
hes a good defenseman, but lets be real folks, hes a #2-3 on just about any decent team out there.
And what's wrong with that?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote