HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Renney respond to Ruff?

Old
05-04-2007, 11:20 AM
dave4

vCash: 500
Should Renney respond to Ruff?

I don't mean respond directly, of course, but do you think he should also comment to the media about the officiating? Not sure I feel about it, but I do feel the need to mention that I think Renney has done everything right so far, handling himself and the team with class and dignity, even in the face of adversity.

There is something to be said, however, for planting a seed in the officials' collective minds. Look what happened after game two, despite a 2-0 series lead Ruff loses it after the game, complaining about almost everything under the sun, and what happens? The very next game the Rangers have penalty after penalty called against them. It gets to be so bad that even Islander fans, Devil fans, and fans of a lot of other teams are coming into the GDT to tell us they think we're getting hosed....IN OUR OWN BUILDING!

I'm not talking about the no-goal call on Rachunek, I'm talking about despite outshooting the Sabres even WITH all the power plays we were making a steady parade to the box. Was that because the Rangers were committing penalties, or because of Ruff's whining? I don't know, officiating is VERY subjective, what is a penalty in one game or one shift isn't always a penalty next time...but the complaining didnt' hurt. Nobody ever gets two minutes for whining.

So here we go again, Ruff either really feels like his team is getting robbed, or he feels the need to deflect attention away from his coaching and his team's play, or he's trying to buy calls. But if the whining leads to another steady stream of power plays for his team, will we be posting tomorrow that Renney owes it to his team to respond in some fashion?

Or is Ruff risking going into Ted Nolan territory, complaining so much about so many things that his team takes on a victim mentality? Sometimes complaints get into the head of your team and give you an excuse to lose. Sometimes they get into the referees head and they give you a key call.

It's going to be interesting how they call tonight's game, because you know the Buffalo crowd will be screaming about every check at the blue line after a dump in.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Why is this a whole new thread?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 11:33 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Why is this a whole new thread?
Because it's a whole new question and I don't want it to get lost in the quagmire that some threads become.

Old
05-04-2007, 11:36 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Tom Renney and the New York Rangers organization has more class than that.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Speedtrials

I think a big part of the reason we are still in this series is because of Renney's calm composure. I think the team feeds off a coach that believes enough in the team that he doesn't have to whine about every little thing. During Sunday's game Piere Maguire kept mentioning how impressed he was with the job Renney was doing that game. He was calm and collected, which I think helped provide a confidence in the team that they could win the game. So I really don't think Renney should change his approach to the game.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Nich

no, play our game.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 11:55 AM
pld459666

I think that Renney should refrain.

Ruff cries to the Refs. It's what he does. Renney only makes comments when they are needed. I don't think that he needs to stoop to Ruffs level and complain about the officiating.

I truly believe that Ruff may not believe in his teams ability to win playoff hockey. He's asked them to play a style that is different from what made them successful during the regular season because it's not conducive to the more physically demanding tighter defensive game played in the playoffs.

that free-flowing skating game that the Sabres are so good at only works agaionst teams that cannot defend it or employ it themselves.

Teh Rangers have done a great job over the last 2-3 months of shutting down those passing lanes and clogging up those skating lanes.

You can obstruct the opposition without touching them and the Rangers have been able to do that for the last 3 games, two of which they won, the 3rd they should have won.

If I were Renney, I'm feeling confident in my team and that we have shown to the refs that the style we play is not physically obstrucive and let them call the game the way it should be called.

Plus, one of these days, the Refs are going to hold the crying against him and it's gonna hurt.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

The players should repond to Ruff. With more pucks behind Miller than Hank, and a win.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Rangers need to just keep playing their A+ game

One shift at a time

05-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Nich

seriously, let ruff stay in his own heads team. we need to stay in ours and play our game, and realize that playing our game caused him to say this in the first place.

so like other posters said, you respond by playing the same game like the past 3...hopefully more results like game 3 and 4

Old
05-04-2007, 12:30 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
seriously, let ruff stay in his own heads team. we need to stay in ours and play our game, and realize that playing our game caused him to say this in the first place.

so like other posters said, you respond by playing the same game like the past 3...hopefully more results like game 3 and 4
hahaha, funny image.

Old
05-04-2007, 12:39 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

People complain that Crosby whines... I think this guy takes the cake.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:59 PM
BernieNicholls9

Renney is just fine, he shouldn't stoop to Ruff's level of constant whining like a *****, Mr. Tom Renney has more class than that whole Buffalo organization anyway

BernieNicholls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Pizza

The best response is to win.

Beat them on their ice and take a 3-2 lead in this series.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The best response is to win.

Beat them on their ice and take a 3-2 lead in this series.
pizza always hits the spot!

Old
05-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Ola

I think its obvious that we got very little respect in this league. Look back the last 4 seasons, wheater its conscious or un-conscious (which defenitly is possbile), we get questionable calls against us and never gets anything back. We destroyed the game, according to every Canadian media, for like 8-9 years (since the Sakic signing in 97' right?). That could play a part in it.

Anyone remember (?) a Kovalev incident when he dived and that Van Helmut ref or whatever his name is took allot of heat for calling something (or not calling something?), I never saw it but have heard about it after. Supposedly didn't make us popular either. Think it was in 95' against Qubeck in the PO's.

If you are Detroit or NJD you can put on a charade and still be respected in the end. If we would take that route we would loose that respect.

I rather we keep building for a while longer.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
Tom Renney and the New York Rangers organization has more class than that.
Agree.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 02:13 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

He should respond by getting his team ready to kick their ass in their own building.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 04:10 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I think its obvious that we got very little respect in this league. Look back the last 4 seasons, wheater its conscious or un-conscious (which defenitly is possbile), we get questionable calls against us and never gets anything back. We destroyed the game, according to every Canadian media, for like 8-9 years (since the Sakic signing in 97' right?). That could play a part in it.

Anyone remember (?) a Kovalev incident when he dived and that Van Helmut ref or whatever his name is took allot of heat for calling something (or not calling something?), I never saw it but have heard about it after. Supposedly didn't make us popular either. Think it was in 95' against Qubeck in the PO's.

If you are Detroit or NJD you can put on a charade and still be respected in the end. If we would take that route we would loose that respect.

I rather we keep building for a while longer.
Man, you're old... I agree completely. Plus Ruff almost lost his job by barking at the league at some points of his tenure there. Renney should be careful. All of that is done for the fans i.e . not being important.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 04:13 PM
cringer

Ruff is a notorious whiny Bee atch.

Renney is not. The Rangers need to stay 100% focused on their game, not what the officials are doing.

Losers need to massage the refs for help. Winners just win.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Or is Ruff risking going into Ted Nolan territory, complaining so much about so many things that his team takes on a victim mentality? Sometimes complaints get into the head of your team and give you an excuse to lose. Sometimes they get into the referees head and they give you a key call.
Just for the record, Ted Nolan never whined like a ***** after a game in which his team won.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 04:37 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Just for the record, Ted Nolan never whined like a ***** after a game in which his team won.
Very true. Most coaches don't actually.

Old
05-04-2007, 05:03 PM
blue425

Yes Renney should say something.

By burying pucks behind Miller.

Let the boys do the talking.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Yes Renney should say something.

By burying pucks behind Miller.

Let the boys do the talking.
Agree, the game is played on the ice after all, why risk shifting the focus from the game to silly stuff, Renney is handling this very good so far.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 06:27 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieNicholls9 View Post
Mr. Tom Renney has more class than that whole Buffalo organization anyway
The classiest team does not always win. What Ruff is doing is called gamesmanship. Something basketball coaches always engage in. Whether it is Jackson, or Bird (when he coached) or Riley. The good coaches realize that you have to seize every advantage. And if Ruff is doing just that in such a pivotal game, then he has done his job. And if Ruff's gamesmanship will cause a tilt in the officiating (which has been fairly one-sided throughout the playoofs for Buffalo anyway) in such a pivotal game, then Renney should engage in something similar.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote