HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Deadline minimums

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2004, 08:26 AM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Deadline minimums

I'm assuming we would all be happy if almost all the deadwood got shipped out, but what is the fewest number of players you need to have moved in order to call this a successful trade deadline?

Nedved
Kovalev
Mironov

If these three are dealt, the team should get enough in return for me to be satisfied. Icing on the cake would see the following go (in no particular order):

Messier (no chance)
Lindros (He says he wants to play again this season. Would TO make a deal predicated entirely on picks for conditions met?)
Malakhov
Simon
Rucinsky

Old
02-22-2004, 09:06 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I would add Poti to that list

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
I'm assuming we would all be happy if almost all the deadwood got shipped out, but what is the fewest number of players you need to have moved in order to call this a successful trade deadline?

Nedved
Kovalev
Mironov

If these three are dealt, the team should get enough in return for me to be satisfied. Icing on the cake would see the following go (in no particular order):

Messier (no chance)
Lindros (He says he wants to play again this season. Would TO make a deal predicated entirely on picks for conditions met?)
Malakhov
Simon
Rucinsky
To me, the top three assets Sather has are Kovalev, Poti and Nedved. Kovalev should net either a top prospect or quality young player and at least a #2 pick, if not a #1. Poti should bring back a top prospect or a quality young player. Nedved should bring back something along the lines of what Zhamnov brought back. After that, I'd like to see a deal with Ottawa involving Simon and Rachunek.

The rest I see as follows:

Rucinsky - a #3 pick (I'd target STL)
Mironov - a #4 pick (similar to the Weinrich trade)
Malakhov - perhaps a #5 pick?? (maybe that's a stretch)
Lindros - look to both TOR and DET, most likely a deal involving conditional draft picks
Messier - I have no clue

IMO, I don't see a need to make a deal involving Leetch, unless a team bowls us over. My defense next year is constrcted of Leetch, DeVries, Kasparitis, Tjutin, Rachunek, and, either a young player acquired at the deadline (Jillson, perhaps) or, if he's ready, Lampman. Lundmark should get second line minutes. Holik centers a checking line with Ortmeyer and possibly Garth Murray. Dom Moore and Chad Wiseman also get legitimate chances to make the team. And, this team falls into the top five of the draft and takes either the best forward available, or a potential top two d-man.

Old
02-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Larry Melnyk

Unfortunately..

The "When" is just as important as the who...The longer Sather diks around and holds onto his delusions, the longer more sellers will put other players on the market (i.e., Nyalander from the Caps to join Lang, Kolzig and Gonchar), the COyotes (after losing Nagy) and increasing the chances of the Rangers missing the boat even if they want to trade these guys....

As for who, indeed, I never want to see about 15 of these gutless pukes in a Ranger sweater again, Get what you can for anybody but The kids and Devries...

As for the best trading chips it's gotta be Kovalev, Barnaby, SImon and Rucinsky....I would say Poti and Nedved but I'm not sure Cup contending teams would want to take on these two lilly-livered prancing purse swingers..But perhaps there is a sucker out there...

And then there Leetch..Personally, I trade him yesterday for the right deal..ANd I think there might be good deal out there for him with the Rangers bringing back two young players that are ready to play..Do it...He ain't gonna be part of no rebuilding here, and if we do get better, it won't be before he retires..Business is business..Trade him..

Old
02-22-2004, 10:46 AM
rootin tootin

Everyone on this team has been infected, trade as many as you can even if it is not fair value. This team is a proven loser and already has a stigma instilled in them about the Rangers. Except for Tyutin, Leetch and Jagr I would trade anyone on this roster including the kids. It's gotten to the point where I think Lundmark needs a change of scenery. I just do not see him making it here. While he has been abused by Sather's system once again, his game has been stale and likely that is the reason for it. Regardless reality is he's a 23 year old that has not been developed properly, has regressed in a year and who's value is quickly fading. Trade him now so maybe this time we get something better then Barrett Heiston. I suppose Ortmeyer is the only other kid, how pathetic is that. I would be more reluctant to trade him but I think a big deal involving a nice blue chipper coming our way would require a player like him to be included so I would not be against a trade provided it makes sense.

Old
02-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Fletch

MIght as well put Poti out there...

I'm only assuming but the play of Tyutin may mean the end of Poti...which, again, I'm assuming since they rushed the kid to the NHL.

Additionally, might as well move Rucinsky...he would be good for a team looking for a playoff push...bet you can get around a third rounder for him. I like him and orindarily would keep him, but why keep a pending UFA...for the comp pick the Rangers never seem to get as a result of signing so many UFAs?

After moving certain players, Moore, Wiseman and/or Murray should be recalled, with Hlavac sitting down immediately and never seeing another NHL shift (it's a travesty that the Rangers acquire Jagr and play him with Hlavac - ditto Kovalev), Lundmark playing with Jagr, etc., etc., etc. Let's finally see if we have anything in that kid.

And sorry Hartford, it's time the Rangers see if they have any NHLers in the making. Murray played well in his role. Moore played well in his. Wiseman, I thought, was fine in limited action. Ditto Lundmark. Let's see what these kids got.

One caveat...who gets recalled is dependent to a certain extent as to who the Rangers get in return for the players that are traded.

Old
02-23-2004, 05:55 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
And then there Leetch..Personally, I trade him yesterday for the right deal..ANd I think there might be good deal out there for him with the Rangers bringing back two young players that are ready to play..Do it...He ain't gonna be part of no rebuilding here, and if we do get better, it won't be before he retires..Business is business..Trade him..
I'm sorry, but business is not business. In my mind nothing can be further from the truth. that's the way this team has been treating its existence anyways. I'm first and foremost a fan and sometimes rational doesn't play into the thought process. I don't want Leetch gone, not unless the Rangers get something fantastic back and even then I'd still be sad. There are a couple all-time ranger stats and personal stats that leetch is close to. ie Games played, Points, 1000 points and I want to see him do it all as a Ranger. At this point, it may be the only reason to be a fan of this god aweful team.

What I don't understand is that in this day and age where all you hear from fans is how athletes are mercenaries and don't have any pride or allegiance to any organization, alot of us are real quick to get rid of a guy that has been the epitomy of what this team should be. I think that's quite hypocritical and Leetch deserves better then that from all of us.

Last edited by JCProdigy: 02-23-2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old
02-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
I'm sorry, but business is not business. In my mind nothing can be further from the truth. that's the way this team has been treating its existence anyways. I'm first and foremost a fan and sometimes rational doesn't play into the thought process. I don't want Leetch gone, not unless the Rangers get something fantastic back and even then I'd still be sad. There are a couple all-time ranger stats and personal stats that leetch is close to. ie Games played, Points, 1000 points and I want to see him do it all as a Ranger. At this point, it may be the only reason to be a fan of this god aweful team.

What I don't understand is that in this day and age where all you hear from fans is how athletes are mercenaries and don't have any pride or allegiance to any organization, alot of us are real quick to get rid of a guy that has been the epitomy of what this team should be. I think that's quite hypocritical and Leetch deserves better then that from all of us.
Agreed. The next year there is a hockey season is going to be a very lean year for the Ranger organization (assuming some major changes are made to get the franchise back on track). Having Leetch around will ease the pain and perhaps even provide a bridge back to a better time in Rangerland as well as provide some guidance toward the future.

If Leetch is willing to stay and be part of the next chapter he should not be traded.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Agreed. The next year there is a hockey season is going to be a very lean year for the Ranger organization (assuming some major changes are made to get the franchise back on track). Having Leetch around will ease the pain and perhaps even provide a bridge back to a better time in Rangerland as well as provide some guidance toward the future.

If Leetch is willing to stay and be part of the next chapter he should not be traded.
Exactly. Barring some insane offer Leetch retires a blueshirt. Although trading him would be a fitting end to the Sather era dont you think?

Old
02-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Edge

if we can add even a single top level prospect or a first round pick i will consider the deadline a "success" if that's even the approriate term for this teams sad state of affairs.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Exactly. Barring some insane offer Leetch retires a blueshirt. Although trading him would be a fitting end to the Sather era dont you think?
No, finding someone who would actually want Malakhov on their team (for any price) would be a fitting end to the Sather regime. Trading Holik without eating part of his contract would be a fitting end to the Sather regime. Trading Poti for someone with a heart, courage and a brain would be a fitting end. Admitting for just one minute that this franchise is in worse shape than when he came would be a fitting end.

Trading Leetch would be the final travesty.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:18 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Trading Leetch would be the final travesty.
Thats what I meant. A terrible end to a terrible regime. Very fitting isn't it?

Old
02-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Thats what I meant. A terrible end to a terrible regime. Very fitting isn't it?
No, it wouldn't be. It would be the final insult. Sather has always undervalued Leetch and I have absolutely no faith that he would get nearly enough to make trading Leetch worthwhile from a saving the franchise perspective. Plus, Leetch is willing to stay here and be a part of whatever comes next. As far as I'm concerned Leetch has earned the right to make his own choice. Loyality, especially in hockey matters.

Old
02-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
No, it wouldn't be. It would be the final insult. Sather has always undervalued Leetch and I have absolutely no faith that he would get nearly enough to make trading Leetch worthwhile from a saving the franchise perspective. Plus, Leetch is willing to stay here and be a part of whatever comes next. As far as I'm concerned Leetch has earned the right to make his own choice. Loyality, especially in hockey matters.
I agree.... I think your missing just my sarcasm.... I mean if you have a terrible date and at the end you trip and twist your ankle and you say "Perfect end to the perfect evening!" Thats the sarcasm I'm alluding too, just didnt word it correctly.

Unless some offer comes along that is absolutely unbelievable I dont think twice.

Old
02-24-2004, 05:00 AM
HyBuller#4

speechless

Quote:
I agree.... I think your missing just my sarcasm.... I mean if you have a terrible date and at the end you trip and twist your ankle and you say "Perfect end to the perfect evening!" Thats the sarcasm I'm alluding too, just didnt word it correctly.

Unless some offer comes along that is absolutely unbelievable I dont think twice.
You want to rebuild the team, trading only the players you don't like. What makes you think that anyone else would like them. You have to trade something to get something. With precious few assets that are coveted around the league, you need to trade anyone who brings a fair return. We need young players not draft picks. Our drafting is second only to our coaching.

Old
02-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy

That's cool, Isee where you are coming from and we'll just agree to disagree on this one. It's just my feelings but, honestly, Leetch as a Ranger means absolutley nothing to me in the present tense. Least of all his stats and records. Even further, I honestly don't care one iota about any player connected with the present of this team that can not impact the future. The future is all that matters, the past is done and can live on in memories. What he or they do now is not going to change that.

And I'm not so sure that the RANGER Brian Leetch of today is the epitomy of what this team should be. Half the time he skates around with his head up his ass and he is as underacieving as any player on the team. And I don't know why this is so. My bet is that if Brain Leetch is traded to a team where he is surrounded by solid, repsonsible players and a stuctured environment, we will see the Brian Leetch that we fondly remember, except in another uniform. And if you are a Brain Leetch fan, it's the second best thing next to him doing it in a Ranger sweater---which ain't going to happer. Deal him.

Closed Thread