HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How good are professionals?

Old
05-04-2007, 06:22 PM
slade

vCash: 500
have a friend who played some echl as a goalie....he played against glenn anderson for a benefit not too long ago and said he was the best player hes ever seen.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 07:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

We had a private practice with many of the local better amature hockey players and we invited Iain Duncan to come out and skate with us. We had 2 russians that had been cut from CHL teams, one guy that played for the Riverkings (CHL) and tons of travel team players and Iain with his two bad knees smoked all of us and he wasn't even trying too.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Markov79

The I've ever played against was a guy who managed a year in the AHL as a fourth liner. He schooled everyone on the ice several times over.

Markov79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 08:51 PM
MikeD

the reason most pro goalies move to play out when they retire...off speed shooting and slow speed games are not fun. In many ways its harder with the timing issues being all messed up.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:58 PM
SomeDude

RJ Umberger usually shows up to a few pick up games during the offseason. Although he's as cocky as they come, he has more skill in his left ear then everyone else has combined.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Cujo31

Played pickup with leading scorer on an OHL team this week, few other O players including a goalie. Quickly came to me why I never 'made it', and doubt any of those guys will. Every level is a huge step skill wise, can't imagine how fast the game is at NHL level. On ice with JR players, with some on each team they go full tilt-scary.

Could play 20 games with those guys and score once-managed to with my kids watching hockey gods watching over me.

Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Happy Pony

I've played with some guys who played CHL, ECHL and one guy who played IHL back in the day.

They are pretty sick.. I think the thing that seperates NHL'ers from those in the A or other minor leagues is the ability to get off a 90mph slapper in a split second. Theres plenty of people who can shoot 90mph but only a select few who can do it in a fraction of a section and accurately.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlewis4 View Post
I've played with some guys who played CHL, ECHL and one guy who played IHL back in the day.

They are pretty sick.. I think the thing that seperates NHL'ers from those in the A or other minor leagues is the ability to get off a 90mph slapper in a split second. Theres plenty of people who can shoot 90mph but only a select few who can do it in a fraction of a section and accurately.
Actually, I think the biggest difference is the 'mental game'. There's probably tons of AHLers and even ECHLers that have better physical tools than a lot of NHLers but lack the hockey sense/game understanding/poise/decision making to take it to the next level.

Zine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Actually, I think the biggest difference is the 'mental game'. There's probably tons of AHLers and even ECHLers that have better physical tools than a lot of NHLers but lack the hockey sense/game understanding/poise/decision making to take it to the next level.
Thats a good point as well.. but I think we can both agree that it takes both physical and mental tools to make it in the NHL. Lots of people have one or the other but you really need the whole picture, skating, shooting, passing and hockey sense to really make an impact in the league.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 01:52 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Look at Gretzky, he wasn't the most talented player ever, heck even then there were more talented players but he was the smartest player on the ice... always. He knew where the puck, his teammates and the opposing team went before it/they got there. He also had the most detication and determination of anyone... That's why he was the greatest, not because he was the most talented. I recall hearing after retiring when asked if there was anything he regretted, Wayne said: "I wish I was as talented as Mario."

I think that's really the difference between most of the non-stars in the NHL and decent ECHL and AHL players, their understanding of the game and how fast they can make the right decisions. From what I've seen the overall speed of the players is about the same BUT the speed in which the game is played is faster in the NHL... if that makes sense.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 09:41 AM
LePalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Look at Gretzky, he wasn't the most talented player ever, heck even then there were more talented players but he was the smartest player on the ice... always. He knew where the puck, his teammates and the opposing team went before it/they got there. He also had the most detication and determination of anyone... That's why he was the greatest, not because he was the most talented. I recall hearing after retiring when asked if there was anything he regretted, Wayne said: "I wish I was as talented as Mario."

I think that's really the difference between most of the non-stars in the NHL and decent ECHL and AHL players, their understanding of the game and how fast they can make the right decisions. From what I've seen the overall speed of the players is about the same BUT the speed in which the game is played is faster in the NHL... if that makes sense.
Exactly. The thing that seperates the levels is thinking at a faster pace pretty much.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 03:03 PM
TBLfan

that was surprisenly not horribly written by me... I was drunk. haha

Old
05-05-2007, 03:05 PM
sabresfan129103

I'm curious about stats. Anybody know the percentage of an OHL or QMJHL player, making the NHL, or better yet even drafted. I'd also be curious to hear about the percentages of the NCAA players making the big time.

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 05:43 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
that was surprisenly not horribly written by me... I was drunk. haha
You write better when you're drunk than sober

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Phoenix

What's the highest level that you get mixed male-female teams over there, (N America/Canada/Europe)? Or, what's the highest level a woman has gotten to on a men's team?

And in comparison to other sports, how popular is it for women over there?

Just curious....have no idea...coming from the other side of the world

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 12:41 AM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
You write better when you're drunk than sober
surprisingly*

dammit! in my defense, I had just got up from about 10 hours of sleep.

Old
05-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Free Probie

I had the opportunity to play 4-4 against alot of former Wings during the lockout season at the Joe. My comparison would be 30 something olds playing against mite players. It was sick. Pat Verbeek, Larry Murphy, Joe Kocur, Mike Krushelniskey, with Ken Holland in net. They would bait you into making a pass only to take 3 strides and cross the entire width of the ice to intercept it. They rounded out their line up with some trainors and equiptment guys to keep it fair. We still lost like 28-6 with minimal effort from them. Larry Murphy blew right around me when I was playing D. I said "I thought you were supposed to be slow, his response was " I am slow" very humbling. I did put 3 in against Ken Holland though.

Free Probie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Senor Rational

Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
Quote:
Pat Verbeek, Larry Murphy, Joe Kocur, Mike Krushelniskey, with Ken Holland in net.
Joe Kocur?

Ive played pick up with some of the local Jr players oh by god are they faster stronger smarter and just overall BETTER, i cant imagine what itd be like against pro's!

Jackman and Tkachuk played in the St. Louis top amatuer (beer) league here and they were barely trying. On one play, KT won the face off, glided torward the middle, Jackman snapped a pass and in three strides KT was all the way down the ice on a break a way, made the goalie look foolish and snapped in top left corner

Senor Rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Odinsky*

Aaron Downey anyone...

Odinsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
What's the highest level that you get mixed male-female teams over there, (N America/Canada/Europe)? Or, what's the highest level a woman has gotten to on a men's team?

shannon szabados has played in the AJHL for hte past few seasons and has been one of the better goalies in that league while doing so. She tried out in Tri-Cities of the WHL a few years ago as well.

She's really the only female I know that has played 'that high' in Canadian hockey on a mens team...other than Manon Reheume back in the day with Tampa and in the IHL etc...

as far as the highest level females play in north america...I'd say it really depends. I've played against AAA midget teams back when I was young...so....8/9 years ago....and there were a couple females playing back then...so it depends

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
As far as pro hockey players go...ya...they're freaky good.

There's a guy in our rec league...Lee Leslie...he was a Sharks pick back in the early 90s...played a bunch in the AHL and for the National team...and he still blows by everyone in the league...

I have however scored on Byron Dafoe!

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

Hayley Wickenheiser played mens pro in Finland. Her first the team was in the 3 rd highest league and the next season they were in the 2nd highest level.

Angela Ruggiero played a game for the Tulsa Oilers in the Central Hockey League, her brother played goal for the oilers.

Kim St Pierre played a game for the McGill mens university team, I think there regular goalies were injured or something so they got her to play for them she was playing for the McGill womens team at the time.

Then as was already mentioned Shannon Szabados

Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 04:24 PM
PMP5030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris View Post
I have however scored on Byron Dafoe!
Who hasn't?

Haven't played against any pros, but have skated against current NCAA Division 1 players. I kept up OK, the main thing was adjusting to how much quicker the passes came. I felt bad for my goalie buddy, though, who got lit up like the 4th of July.

PMP5030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 05:02 PM
YoungJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron View Post
Hayley Wickenheiser played mens pro in Finland. Her first the team was in the 3 rd highest league and the next season they were in the 2nd highest level.
She was OK for the 3rd highest level, but after they got up to the 2nd highest, her skills just werent enough. The coach, Matti Hagman (former NHLer btw) put her on the bench and thats when Wickenheiser had had enough, and returned to Canada. I guess it was the physical aspect of the game that prooved to be to much for her.

But the Wickenheiser-Finland stuff was more of a media-trick by the club, they wanted sponsors and so on by "making history". But it was interesting, to say the least. She had her own lockerroom etc.

YoungJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Redden Hogalot*

I remember she scored on her own net once too, Lol.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote