HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #7, Part III

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2007, 12:57 AM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
There are very few certified MONSTERS in NHL history, which has to count for something.

And how many guys can combine "soft supple hands" and "unbelievable gap control" with the ability two throw multiple bodychecks at once?

Old
05-05-2007, 01:29 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
The Bruins select Murray Balfour. a rugged RW who played on the "Million Dollar Line" with Bobby Hull.
I was sure he was drafted! nice pick!

This said... Nothing's better than a Vondel aside of a fire. A Top-5 beer for sure. Anybody has a clue about my next "try"? Feels like I have drank pretty much everything in sale in Quebec....

Old
05-05-2007, 01:35 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
yep. I have no idea who to pick, I guess I'll go with a random player:

Winnipeg selects, D Dion Phaneuf

Too early? Is he the worst 7th ATD d-man ever?
No... or yes. We cannot say. I feel he's a better pick than many guys -- the way I construct my team, I wouldn't have drafted him, but mainly because I have a specific idea in mind.

And please be confident about your picks. Some of your old-timers were great, especially Esposito who's gotta be one the most underrated netminders.

Old
05-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
I guess LL left, so I'll announce his pick.

The Leafs select one of their own in Tomas Kaberle, D.
Thanks i was doign areinstall

pc ssaftey tech support helped me with my virus but th e cal lwas 3 hrs long andf i had to call back so i called a guy and had awipe done for 25 bucks

Quote:
Tomas kaberle has become an all round star on the blue line kabs has superior hockey sense and this allows him to play with a healthy self-confidence and collects points because he possesses tremendous hockey smarts and has the ability to find his teammates on the ice. A fluid elegant swift skater, he can wheel with the puck and loves to join the attack. Is an excellent accurate passer.Tomas Kaberle provides constant support for his team while becoming one of the top defencemen in the league.He is 4th all time in franchise scoring for a leafs defensman.

If you look at the chain of great leafs defenceman you will see many talented leafs d-man from way back when to current Hap day King clancy Red horner Bob Goldham Jim Thomson Tim Horton Allan Stanley Carl Brewer Bob Baun Ian Turnbull Borge Salming AL Iafrate Dave Ellett Dimitri Yuskievich Tomas Kaberle

05-05-2007, 02:58 AM
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
The Aurora Tigers select a man who's name is surpassed in awesomeness only by his 'stach, the greatest Latvian hockey player ever:

Helmut Balderis

During his heyday (roughly 1975-1985), he was amongst the very elite offensive players in the USSR (two time scoring champ, once the league MVP). Unlike many Soviet stars, he only spent 3 years with CSKA, playing most of his career with Dyanmo Riga. He was selected as best player at the 1977 World Championships, and scored over a PPG between his Canada Cup, Challenge Cup, and Super Series appearances. He is the only Latvian in the IIHF hall of fame (pending Ivanans' retirement, naturally)

When Latvia gained independance, he came out of retirement to play in the newly formed Latvian league in his 40's. He won the scoring title in 1993 with a comical 142 points in 22 games. Not that it really means anything, but it's kinda funny. How many other guys in this draft have scored at over 6 points-per-game?

*edit*

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why his name is spelled "Helmut" in some places, and "Helmuts" in others? I know Latvian has something fishy going on with the S at the end of names. Thanks.
No idea, but his name is definitely Helmut. Great pick BTW. And the stache....

Old
05-05-2007, 03:06 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
yep. I have no idea who to pick, I guess I'll go with a random player:

Winnipeg selects, D Dion Phaneuf

Too early? Is he the worst 7th ATD d-man ever?
Probably too early, but, he was a 7th d-man last time, so he's actually become a better pick this time around.

05-05-2007, 03:29 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Probably too early, but, he was a 7th d-man last time, so he's actually become a better pick this time around.
kruez picked him for sentimental reasons. At this point, he's around the 170th defenceman taken. It is somewhat of a futures pick, and it's not uncommon to see teams take a young defenceman for that No. 7 spot, or a young forward for the No. 13 spot.

Phaneuf will have worked his way into a top six role in this draft within the next three years.

Old
05-05-2007, 10:51 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Detroit takes G Dave Kerr to back-up Broda

- Stanley Cup
- Vezina
- 1st team all-star
- 2nd team all-star
Already drafted by 66. Rank 475

Old
05-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Spitfire11

I don't really like taking so many active players, but he is by far the best defensive foward in the NHL today and IMO, the best still on the board. Won an Olympics gold medal in 2006 and a lockout World Championship Gold in 2005.

Detroit takes C Samuel Pahlsson

1-4 is the there a better team on faceoffs than the Wings?

Old
05-05-2007, 10:59 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
kruez picked him for sentimental reasons. At this point, he's around the 170th defenceman taken. It is somewhat of a futures pick, and it's not uncommon to see teams take a young defenceman for that No. 7 spot, or a young forward for the No. 13 spot.

Phaneuf will have worked his way into a top six role in this draft within the next three years.
... And there are other guys who might become fixtures for this draft in a 28-team format. Pretty sure Brad Richards is right now, and amongst the recently drafted, Tomas Kaberle.

Old
05-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Already drafted by 66. Rank 475
Dang, good pick #66

First time I've done that in a long time..

Old
05-05-2007, 11:19 AM
MXD

Is there anybody who can take a list? I'll be gone fishin' in the afternoon.

Old
05-05-2007, 11:29 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I don't really like taking so many active players, but he is by far the best defensive foward in the NHL today and IMO, the best still on the board. Won an Olympics gold medal in 2006 and a lockout World Championship Gold in 2005.

Detroit takes C Samuel Pahlsson

1-4 is the there a better team on faceoffs than the Wings?
I'll take my chances in the face-off circle. Clarke is arguably the best face-off man of all-time .... Drury and Draper both great to follow.

Also taking a quick look at your roster, MacLeish should be the 2nd line center ... he never played the wing. Brind'amour has spent time at LW .... and he can still take the face-offs.

Old
05-05-2007, 11:30 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Is there anybody who can take a list? I'll be gone fishin' in the afternoon.
I can take a list, I should be around for the next 5-6 hours .... then back again for the Devils/Sens game tonight

Old
05-05-2007, 11:31 AM
God Bless Canada

I have pit's pick. The Nanaimo Clippers are pleased to select C Phil Goyette.

I'd like to take your list, MXD, but it's a busy weekend in town, and I'm not sure when I'll be around. I need someone to take Murphy2's list off my hands.

Old
05-05-2007, 11:32 AM
MXD

Quote:

I'd like to take your list, MXD, but it's a busy weekend in town, and I'm not sure when I'll be around. I need someone to take Murphy2's list off my hands.
I will be there to call my next pick by the clock for sure : however, that would just speed up things a little...
Too bad then.

Old
05-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Also taking a quick look at your roster, MacLeish should be the 2nd line center ... he never played the wing. Brind'amour has spent time at LW .... and he can still take the face-offs.
I'm still not sure about any of my forward lines (except the 4th), but thanks for the tip, I was under the impression MacLeish also played LW.

Old
05-05-2007, 11:42 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I'm still not sure about any of my forward lines (except the 4th), but thanks for the tip, I was under the impression MacLeish also played LW.
He always played C ... he was known for coming down the right wing with the puck and then cutting to the middle of the ice and letting go a laser of a wrist shot. Goalies used to say that he actually created his own screen when he did this. Tremendously strong wrists ..... not going to show up for every regular season game ... but he was a money player, and always shined in the biggest games.

Old
05-05-2007, 12:08 PM
reckoning

To finish off my checking line, I'll grab a RW whose NHL career only lasted 6 seasons, but was an accomplished player in Europe before that (Swedish Player of the Year in 1979). A gifted offensive player who was transformed by Al Arbour into an effective checker and became one of the most underrated pieces of the Islanders 80s dynasty.

Buffalo selects:

Anders Kallur

Old
05-05-2007, 12:22 PM
John Flyers Fan

MXD - Miami Screaming Eagles select - G Pete Peeters.

Old
05-05-2007, 12:31 PM
BM67

Quote:

Send it along. I don't pick again for a couple of rounds, I need something to do besides update the picks.

Old
05-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I'm gonna be gone all day, so anyone want my list?

Old
05-05-2007, 02:23 PM
pnep

Siberian Bears: Tony "T-Bone" Amonte

Old
05-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Apologies, I stepped out yesterday to pick someone up from the airport and it turned into a trek over three states... don't ask.

Pick coming shortly.

Old
05-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Hockey Outsider

The Montreal Canadiens are pleased to select C Glen Skov. This will allow us to re-unite two-thirds of the shut-down line of one of the NHL's most succesful dynasties. Skov was a three-time Stanley Cup champion who used his size abd strength to neutralize opponents' top scorers.

"[In Detroit] he continued to demonstrate his offensive prowess and his ability to play a solid, physical game.

The Red Wings brought Skov on board near the end of the 1950-51 season and, from that point on, he remained at the NHL level. His role as a forward, however, underwent a change. In the Motor City, the roster was already filled with top-line offensively oriented gunners. To secure his place farther down the ranks, Skov had to play as a two-way centre who made his top priority to neutralize the opposition's number-one centreman.

Skov proved to be very adept at his new assignment. He consistently provided the Wings with the unsung support that the star forwards needed to chase Lord Stanley with credibility. Collective success came in the form of league championships in 1952, 1954, and 1955."

Closed Thread