HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR 2007-2008 Speculation

Old
05-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Smashley

vCash: 500
Shanny basically just said on Hockey Night NY live that if the rangers want him back and everything is kosher by his agent he's ready for '07-'08.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 05:54 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Gun to my head since I haven't given this any thought...

Hossa/Nylander/Jagr
Shanny/Dawes/Straka
Prucha/Cullen/Callahan
Avery/Betts/Ortmeyer

Rozsival/Souray
Tyutin/Girardi
Staal/Mara

Lundqvist
I don't know which backup goalies are out there

I'd love to see a PP with Rozie and Souray blasting it from the blueline.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 05:58 PM
gers*

the only thing im not looking forward to seeing next year is the new jerseys

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 05:59 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvisbisk View Post
EXACTLY

I just realized this, but this was the last time we saw our traditional ranger jerseys....

A sad day in rangers history.......

mrhockey193195 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 06:01 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Straka-Drury-Shanahan
Prucha-Cullen-Callahan
Avery-Betts-Ortmeyer
Hollweg/Orr

Timmonen/Preissing-Staal
Tyutin-Girardi
Mara-Rozsival
Pock

Lundqvist
Valliquette

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 06:06 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvisbisk View Post
I remember hearing that the NHL is going back to the "white jerseys" for the home teams. Anyone know for sure??

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
I remember hearing that the NHL is going back to the "white jerseys" for the home teams. Anyone know for sure??
Thought that was a rumor and they were going to try it in the AHL and see the response... but given the way that Bettman handles things... you never know...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
Yes.

Diehardfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 06:32 PM
DutchShamrock

No UFAs. The only upgrades this team needs will be provided by the improvements of the youngsters. We can't get greedy. This is how promising organizations get derailed. They feel like they are 1 or 2 players away and they start mortgaging the future (see: Nashville; Atlanta You must remain patient and stay the course. Follow the formula that has obviously worked since the spring of '04. The Sabres remain the blueprint to a successful francise in the Cap era. Grow your talent, don't buy it.

Trades are another story, but only under the right circumstances. As of now, we have 1 spot on defense open for competition between Pock, Staal, Sauer, Baranka, Liffiton and more. There is no need to fill it in early May, there's no need to lock it up before October. There are always 6th/7th d-men floating around for cheap but let's see what we have in the system rather than overpay for a Souray... just look at the horrible signings from last summer.

We have a few more spots open for competition on forward, but that will surely mean that someone like Ortmeyer, Hollweg or Hossa will be out. Our top 6 is fine, and there is more than enough available in the organization to improve the bottom 6 without giving away money. We don't have to win the cup next year, we just have to keep growing and building the core... 3 more years and we will be perennial favorites.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 06:34 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

You realize the design of the jerseys as far as striping and color and Rangers written diagonally isn't changing, right? The only thing changing is the way it fits.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
No UFAs. The only upgrades this team needs will be provided by the improvements of the youngsters. We can't get greedy. This is how promising organizations get derailed. They feel like they are 1 or 2 players away and they start mortgaging the future (see: Nashville; Atlanta You must remain patient and stay the course. Follow the formula that has obviously worked since the spring of '04. The Sabres remain the blueprint to a successful francise in the Cap era. Grow your talent, don't buy it.

Trades are another story, but only under the right circumstances. As of now, we have 1 spot on defense open for competition between Pock, Staal, Sauer, Baranka, Liffiton and more. There is no need to fill it in early May, there's no need to lock it up before October. There are always 6th/7th d-men floating around for cheap but let's see what we have in the system rather than overpay for a Souray... just look at the horrible signings from last summer.

We have a few more spots open for competition on forward, but that will surely mean that someone like Ortmeyer, Hollweg or Hossa will be out. Our top 6 is fine, and there is more than enough available in the organization to improve the bottom 6 without giving away money. We don't have to win the cup next year, we just have to keep growing and building the core... 3 more years and we will be perennial favorites.
Dude, you seriously need to get out of my brain.

Great Post, Agree on All Accounts.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
Dawes - Nylander - Jagr
Straka - Smyth - Callahan
Avery - Cullen - Prucha
Hossa - Dubinsky - Ortmeyer

Hannan -Tyutin
Staal - Roszival
Mara - Girardi
Shanny will be signed nbo questions, he is needed to be here for the young guys. anyway here is what i see or would like to see, and please see'ing dawes on the first line seriousley is a joke man.

FA - Nylander - Jagr
Shanahan - Straka - Callahan
Avery - Cullen - Prucha
Hollweg/Orr - Dubinsky - Ortmeyer

toughness needs to sttay in the lineup, and Hossa will be back unfortunatley, but i would like him not to be, and so will Betts most likley cause NYR did give him a 3 year deal.

I must say i like these d pairings, but Toots and DG should remain together kep getting to know each other, thats how you build a team, keep these kids with talent together and keep it like that year in and out and watch how damn good they got, look at them now.

Girardi -Tyutin
Staal - Hannan ( thik these 2 would be a huge big time pairing for NYR )
Mara - Roszival

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 06:46 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan419 View Post
Yes.
Good. I never got used to seeing the Rangers in thier white jerseys on the road.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I think the forwards are going to look basically the same. I think we re-sign both of Shanny (1 year) and Nylander (2 years), as both mean a lot to the team and both want to come back. Orts will re-up as well. So that means if we want to add a forward, whether it's a FA or a rookie, someone has to go. From this group, that's probably Prucha. I don't know if that's good or bad. I guess it depends on the return. It's possible that Dubi gets an audition as the 2nd line center if Straka is not good to go for the opener.

On D, I don't see Rachunek coming back, and I don't see a big splash signing. Malik, Rozsival, Tyutin, Girardi, Mara and Pock are our 6. Pock plays unless he gets beaten out by Staal or Baranka in camp.

Lundqvist is our goalie. Montoya takes another year in Hartford. Valiquette or a FA for the backup.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 06:58 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Shanny - Drury - Callahan
Prucha - Cullen - Avery
Hossa - Betts - Orts

Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - Mara
Malik - Rozsival

If we somehow rid of Malik though I would be very happy. Sign someone then...maybe even overrated Souray.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Shanny - Drury - Callahan
Prucha - Cullen - Avery
Hossa - Betts - Orts

Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - Mara
Malik - Rozsival

If we somehow rid of Malik though I would be very happy. Sign someone then...maybe even overrated Souray.
Does Montoya back up Lundqvist next year? Or do we go with Vally?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 07:06 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Does Montoya back up Lundqvist next year? Or do we go with Vally?
I'd keep Vally or sign a backup for a few bucks. Lundqvist is going to be playing 70 games a season, maybe more.

Montoya should definitely stay in the AHL another year.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 07:26 PM
TheRedressor

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Callahan-Drury-Shanahan
Prucha-Cullen-Avery
Hossa-Betts-Ortmeyer

Dawes and Orr

D is where the improvement will dramatically be needed.

Rozsival-Mara
Tyutin-Girardi
Staal-Hannan
Pock

Lundqvist
Backup UFA

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I'd keep Vally or sign a backup for a few bucks. Lundqvist is going to be playing 70 games a season, maybe more.

Montoya should definitely stay in the AHL another year.
I agree. There was a point during the Wold Pack's season where Monty was practically giving up nothing, and I thought it would be best for him to get 20 or so starts in the NHL next year as Lundy's back up...

But he came back down to earth at the end of the season and probably could use atleast another half of a year down on the farm.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Ola

The hunt for the cup!

What needs to be done?

New faces?

I am not comfortable to bring in size or toughness either up front or on defense, while it wouldn't hurt, through UFA. A new face will cost, the better he is the more he will cost. Size and toughness should be promoted from within, or through other cheap channels. Our buck needs to be put on hands that are hard to promote from within.

There are very few players on the UFA market that I would go into a bidding war for. One of them is Daniel Briere. He wuold make sense now and down the road. He is 29 y/o, though he might as well be 25. If we sign him to a 5 year deal, I would project it to be very safe that he will contribute at least as much year 5 as year 1. Briere have been one of the elite offensive players in this league the last 2 seasons. It looks like Buffalo will have to let one of Briere and Drury go, and with that team beeing on the brink of a dynasty a GW like Drury is worth more. If Briere don't really step up in the PO's, its possible that he only will take 6 million to get him signed.

He might not be a perfect fit for this team next season, but there is no perfect fit for this team next season on the market. And Nyls and Straka will soon be gone, with JJ in line, we will need talent. Scoring power. Players that can put us on the board on a regular basis. They are never easy to come by. We might got our chance now with Briere. He is one of the most lethal offensive players in the game.

He is not a franchise player, but 6m is nothing for a nr 2 offensive player these days. The fact that he only have broken out after the new rules, and that he haven't stepped up yet, could give us a good bargain. Normally a player like him would cost 7-8m, look at Richard and Datsyuk, 9m and 7m. If the cap goes up 6m for a player like him isn't much.

While Ryan Smyth, Gomez or Chris Drury maybe would cost as much, and maybe bring more for a cup run next season, I don't think they make as much sense down the road as Briere. Looking down the road we will have a ton of attitude and stuff like that, but we don't got that last touch offensivly that will make us a threat on a regular basis, someone that will lift others and put them on the board. I think thats the direction this league is heading. Look at Spezza and Alfie in Ottawa, and Buffalos team. Size and attitude, thats great, could make the diffrence in the end, but, without a ton of scoring you won't go anywhere. I don't think the teams that are successful will be so because they got a Scott Hannan. I think the teams that are successful wil be thoose with the most firepower. Thats why I am not willing to pay 6m for a defensive D, but for a 1-way offensive player.

I am also expecting Staal to win a spot in NY right away. And want to leave room for one of Dubinsky, Dawes and Korpikoski. A summer is allot for these kids, one of them will be ready.

Changes in philosophy:
I think its time for Renney to take another step. We need to adopt the Detroit in their prime way of rolling 4 lines. I am not talking about 10 minutes for the 4th instead of 7. We should create 4 lines that all can play, and play them equally, untill absolutely forced to do otherwise. Like down a goal and 5 to go. The order we start them will give the 1st a bit more then the 4th, since they are more likely to get in shifts before penaltys. Though the players that demands much ice time should get that on the PP, besides that they have to make do with what they get. Buffalo have gone all out with 3 offensive lines, I think its even better if you can have 4 that can win momentum.

Especially with our stars getting older we will need this. We can't afford to give players more ice time just to get them started. We can't afford to look at a individual and say that this player demands/must get more ice time then what he gets while rolling 4 lines. We must look at the team.

Here is how I would format the team, with comments behind my thinking:

Lines
Straka-Nyls-Jagr//Is not extremely effective, but give us momentum. Straka is great at that, getting the puck into the attacking zone. Just pushing the other team back is extremely important. It gets them off their game.
Avery-Dubinsky-Briere//My thinking here is that Briere really could jumpstart Dubinsky offensivly in the NHL. Both Dubi and Avery can shoot the puck, Daniel is a great passer, but can also finnish. I like the mix of one guy who can drive to the net, a center who can do a bit of both and a RW that would run the show. While Briere, who is a great set up player, may not play with the best shooter in Shanny, I think this is the best enviorment for him. Both Dubinsky and Avery works really hard, both hits, both got a ton of energy, that would open up ice for Briere. Thats what a player like him need.
Prucha-Cullen-Callahan//This line might not be a perfect fit offensivly. But they got tremendous energy. We would need that looking at how the rest of the team is set up. Cullen will probably be better from the get go with a longer summer.
Hossa-Betts-Shanahan//Shanny on the 4th? SHANNY ON THE 4TH?? We will playing Crosby 8 times. There will be many FO's late in games in our end. This is a line that is very aware defensivly. This is a big and tough line that would chip in with some goals. And when it comes to Shanny, he would get top minutes on the PP. I don't think he have been great 5 on 5 all season. I think this is the optimal way to use him. Late in games. On special teams. And defensivly 5 on 5. They can go up against any line in the league and hold their own, and will chip in with some offense. Can especially see them on the ice with 5 to go, when we are up a goal, against the other teams top line, and not only shut them down but score a important goal. If we play Toronto or Philadelphia and they start rolling on us, this is the line we play hard for like a 10 minute stretch. They got the size, they would still provide some offense.
Orr//The weakness IMO with my lineup is that there is no natrual position for Orr. Instead of Hossa? Nah. Prucha? Nah, and he wouldn't contribute at all for Cullen...

D-Pairings
Staal-Rozsival//I think this is the "easiest" position on the team. Its also a perfect position for Staal. He would get involved both ways right away. He would play allot with the puck, and enough without it.
Tyutin-Mara//Would like to see this pairing since they would give us allot of offensive firepunch, could defenitly help the 2nd and 4th unit.
Malik-Girardi//I think these two would be good fit with the 3rd line. Defense first and that unit doesn't use their D's all that much in the offensive zone. Many will say, wait a minute, Malik? I think he contributes allot on the PK and late in games. He wouldn't be asked to do too much in a role like this.
Pck

Lundqvist
Weekes/Valley/UFA
// Don't think its wise to bring up Montoya yet, he needs more timme in the AHL. Think he develops more there.

1st PP unit
Avery-Briere-Shanahan
Mara-Cullen//Briere would give this unit a whole other dimension. Defenitly better suited for slow regular season game then JJ's unit.

2nd PP unit
Prucha-Nyls-Jagr
Straka-Rozsival
//When JJ is 125% on, play him till he dropps on the PP. But, in 2nd periods when we have started well and got a opertunity to put the game away, JJ isn't a perfect fit. He needs to be desperate, Nyls too.

PK units
1. Hossa-Betts-Malik-Girardi
2. Avery-Shanahan-Tyutin-Mara
3. Cullen-Callahan-Rozival-Staal

Bye, bye
Ryan Hollweg and Jed Ortmayer. Honestly sad to see you guys go. Though, if Shanny is comming back, and Betts, I don't see any room for Orts. I want Shanahan in his "role" 5 on 5, and other would have to step up on the PK. While Holly's hitting is something that we lack, I don't think its possible to spare one spot for that ability alone. Dubinsky can hit hard. Avery can hit. Callahan can hit. Prucha can hit. Shanny could atleast hit. They have to step up. We will see injurys, then someone like Byers could come in and hit. Though, we can't justifye Holly from my point of view. Another aspect is that Orts have stepped back, not up, in the playoffs for two staight years. When the gooing have gotten really tough he have dissapeared. I don't see that changing. If we are gooing for the cup next season, I don't see him playing a huge role. All 19 players that play must be able to be great in their specific role. Orts can be extremely useful, though I don't see him playing great in the PO's.

Last word
I think its absolutely essential for this team to have 4 solid lines if we are to have a remote shot at the cup. I could backfire if we drop Orts, and Shanny might struggle offensivly not playing with the best linemates ect. Our 1st might not be able to come through enough. But, the "safer" options, with 3 peaked lines and a 4th that can take some heat, would put us in the same position again. With Jagr and co running out of gas at this time of the year. Not in their legs necessary, but in his head. Without a doubt the penatlys was a result of beeing tired mentally and all the pressure. 4 lines that can play, if they all click, if that lets us cruise into the PO's, and if the young players can step up even more, might might might give us a shot at the Cup. I don't see another option.

Last edited by Ola: 05-06-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 07:48 PM
John Torturella

Next years team

I dont think it is necessary to make any big free agent signings other than Shanny and Nylander

Im interested to see your lines but I cant say because I am unsure as to how far along many of the prospects are in development

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Richter35

assuming shanny stays, and we trade malikenstein and holly who i dont think has much use anymore:

strak - nyls - jagr
avery - drury - shanny
prucha - cullen - callahan
hossa - betts - ortmeyer
orr
staal - rosy
mara - rachunek
tyutin - girardi
pock

lundy
montoya

we were so close to winning, this team just needs that extra edge, that gamebreaker. thats chris drury. honestly, him on our team with the roster we had and i think we coulda made it to the finals. here's towards next year.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Ola

I am not perfectly comfortable with Drury. He is more of a finnisher/gamebreaker, then someone who lifts others. Besides the extremely huge goals he scored against us, what did he accomplish offensivly? Almost nothing.

He would be here for 5-6 years if we sign him. If we are gooing to commit to that length it should be someone who got the raw skills to make players around him better. Its wrong to say that Drury takes advantage of other peoples hard work. But, if Drury played for Boston this season I don't think he would make a huge diffrence.

Straka and Nyls are on the way out, with JJ in line. Real offensive firepower will be hard to come by.

Chris Drury have never really been close to beeing a point per game player and is 30 y/o. His career high is 69 pts.

We don't got a offensive force in the system, the money we spend must go on elite offensive players, every cent. Character and stuff like that can be promoted from within, we got a ton of that in our system.

I am not keen on spending 7 million times 5 years on a forward who isn't a lock to be top 10-15 in scoring. Drury, while you really appriciate and is fashionated by him, is a lock to not be top 15 in scoring. 3 years from now when JJ, Nyls and Straka are gone, we would be spending big buck on a character forward who will score big goals in the PO's, and around 65 pts in the regular season. And have a ton of decent offensive players like Prucha, Callahan, Dubinsky, Korpikoski and guys like that. Though not one real go to player offensivly. All succesful teams today seems to have 2-3 atleast. Thats why I am skeptical when it comes to Drury.

Last edited by Ola: 05-06-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Crease

Seeing how good a team like Buffalo is with four lines of legitimate threats, it becomes easier for me to cut ties with players like Hollweg and Orr. Yes they'd be effective put into the lineup against a team like the Islanders or Flyers, but otherwise, they should be up in the box eating popcorn.

Some here feel that players like Dawes, Immonen, and Dubinsky shouldn't be up on the big club unless they're in their natural roles, but why not put together a speedy, two-way line with hands to play 8-12 minutes a game as a fourth group? When you look at a team like the Sabres, they roll four lines and it keeps them fresh the entire way. Yes we play four lines regularly, but we only expect scoring out of three and we only see scoring out of one. I think it's ok to acquire a legit second liner and bump a Callahan or Dawes down a group. It would only add to our depth and provide scoring options on four lines while not sacrificing any defense.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
A dman I would really like is Scott Hannan

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote