HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Lundqvist considers new contract at 7y - $4.5M/per

Old
05-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Linnarhult

vCash: 500
RUMOR: Lundqvist considers new contract at 7y - $4.5M/per

I found this article in a swedish newspaper saying that Henrik Lundqvist is offerd a 7 year contract at $4.5 milion. Thats insane!!

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/...062776,00.html

Last edited by Linnarhult: 05-08-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Linnarhult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:14 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnarhult View Post
I found this article in a swedish newspaper saying that Henrik Lundqvist is offerd a 7 year contract at 4,5 milion $. Thats insane!!

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/...062776,00.html
This is the only thing I understood " HEN-RIK, HEN-RIK- HEN-RIK!"

Could you give us more detail on what the article says?

05-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Chimp

That's a long contract, but considering his age and how he has played, I see no indication he will get anything but better.

$4.5 million each year certainly doesn't sound far off. We're talking about a double nominated Vezina goaltender here. Around $5 million was what I expected him to receive.

A fast translation of the article:

Lundqvist eliminated - but now he can receive 210 million SEK.
NEW YORK

Henrik Lundqvist is devastated after the elimination in the Stanley Cup playoffs. But according to our sources he can shortly comfort himself with a record long contract worth more than 210 million SEK ($4.5 million @ 7 years).
- Rangers definitely want to keep him for a long time, says a well placed source.
During his first two seasons of success, New York Rangers Swedish goaltender has made around 5.4 million SEK in two years - plus some nice bonuses. It may sound like a salary for kings, but for NHL stars of the caliber "King Henrik" now has become - especially regarding his performance in this years playoffs - it's only exchange money.

Contract expires
That's why the interest is so big when the celebrated keeper's contract is now about to be renegotiated. For himself the 25 year old Swede doesn't want to say much in the subject.
- I can only say that the contract I've had expires after this season. We'll see what happens.
But you want to stay?
- Hehe... yes, I like it alot here.
The feelings are mutual. According to Sportbladets sources Lundqvist will be offered a 7 year contract with a guaranteed salary at about $4.5 million - around 30.3 million SEK - each season.

Long time to come
Added together such a contract, with today's value, would be worth 212 million SEK.
- Rangers definitely want to keep Lundqvist for a long time to come, says a source with informatoin regarding the inner life in the club to Sportbladet.
- And they are certainly willing to pay well for it.
A 7 year contract would be the longest a Swedish player has ever signed for a NHL club. But then you should remember that "King Henrik" isn't just a young elite goaltender.

Echoed high
He has also, during his relatively short stay in New York, become a big fan favourite and an important franchise player for the club. When the crowd at Madison Square Garden yesterday, despite the loss, celebrated their heroes it was one name that echoed higher than any other in the classic arena:
- HEN-RIK, HEN-RIK, HEN-RIK!
Such players are worth big investments.

Last edited by Chimp: 05-07-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Fletch

Not sure how insane that is...

for a guy who in his first two NHL seasons was a Vezina finalist, and who this season put his team on his back and led them to the playoffs and gave them a shot in 5 second round playoff games. They're convinced he's the real deal - at this pace, in 3-4 years he could become quite expensive. I'm not a huge fan of long contracts, but in this NHL, you may see more of them for young franchise players.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I think that's a reasonable contract, maybe even under the dollar amount that I expected. It's no 15 year contract, that's for damn sure.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:21 AM
UAGoalieGuy

$4.5 million for 7 years? That would be pretty good for the organization IMO. It may be a little long, but a $4.5 million cap hit for a franchise goalie its pretty good. If he signed say a 3 or 4 year contract and his progress continued, you could be looking at $6-$7 million/year for that 4th or 5th year. I hope that this news comes true...

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Linnarhult

It basicly says that the Rangers want's to keep him and they will try to look him up, that Henrik would like to stay in NY and also that the fans in NY loves him.

Linnarhult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Speedtrials

I don't think that is a bad contract at all. $4.5 is a fair number now, and will look like a deal within a few years. I have no doubt that Henrik is the real deal, and I think could challenge for best goalie in the league within a year or two. Lock him up Slats!!

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:36 AM
n_a_c

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but he is currently 25, and has played for two years. That means he'll be a UFA when he hits 27, which is only 2 years away.

I think he is the Real Deal, and could be a perennial Vezina finalist - just like he was the past two years. And most goalies continue to improve and peak later than 25. This is a guy you build a team around.

DiPietro got 4.5 M for 15 years. Luongo, another Vezina finalist got 6.75 M for 4 years. I have little doubt that 4.5 M is underpayment for Lundqvist once he is a UFA. If the contract is seven years, he is signed until he is 32 - at which age most all-star players continue to be all-star players and some are just about peaking.

The only risk I see is that he is injured and can continue to play, but not as high of a level. But 4.5 M, while painful, is not a _huge_ amount of contract to eat for nothing (think of Weekes & Ozolinsh).

I would love if he signed this deal. If anything, I think it might not be enough money.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:42 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I think that IF Lundqvist is signed for 7 years, Montoya will more than likely be moved by the trade deadline next season. No matter what though, the Rangers need to draft a goalie THIS year in the 2nd or 3rd round (Smith or Cann would be nice).

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:47 AM
broadwayblue

7 years at 4.5 per is a very reasonable contract for HL. He has shown he is the real deal and this keeps him in NY for quite a while. It will be a steal to have him for only 4.5 mil a couple of years from now. Didn't Kevin Weekes make 4 mil this year? Seems like a bargain to get Henrik for an extra 500k!

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Chimp

No, I think Weekes made around $2 million.

Old
05-07-2007, 09:56 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
No, I think Weekes made around $2 million.
You are right. I stand corrected. In any event, I don't think 4.5 per is a bad deal. Henrik is pretty much our franchise player at this point...so getting him for less than franchise player money is a bonus.

Old
05-07-2007, 09:58 AM
bathgate

As we've seen in this year's playoffs, a goalie can steal a series and a Cup. To me,Henrik is a franchise goalie around which we build our team. Give him the contract. With him, Staal, Tyutin, Girardi, Sauer(having a great junion playoff), Sanguinetti,Baranka, Pock, Rozsival, we are in very good shape on the back line. Further, I do not believe it is a terrible cap hit for a franchise player of his caliber.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
nyr7andcounting

Is his current deal up on 7/1 or are they just giving him an extension because he's been so good?

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 10:02 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Only 7 years? Jeez, Dippy got 15.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 10:03 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I think that IF Lundqvist is signed for 7 years, Montoya will more than likely be moved by the trade deadline next season. No matter what though, the Rangers need to draft a goalie THIS year in the 2nd or 3rd round (Smith or Cann would be nice).
I think if the right deal is available to the Rangers, Montoya gets moved this off-season.

Old
lotus

I dig it. This is big news.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
Is his current deal up on 7/1 or are they just giving him an extension because he's been so good?
He is a RFA according to this page. I think it's accurate, even Lundqvist himself says his contract will expire when this season is over.
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyr.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Only 7 years? Jeez, Dippy got 15.
Yes, but our GM is not insane.

Old
05-07-2007, 10:10 AM
broadwayblue

oh yeah, forgot to mention...4.5/year sounds like a lot better deal than 4.5/month the Yanks just made.

Old
05-07-2007, 10:12 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

To lock Henke up at age 25 with a 7 year, $4.5 million contract is sheer genius on the Rangers part. That's a reasonable cap hit., and it keeps the Rangers most important player under contract for the prime of his career.

Old
05-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
To lock Henke up at age 25 with a 7 year, $4.5 million contract is sheer genius on the Rangers part. That's a reasonable cap hit., and it keeps the Rangers most important player under contract for the prime of his career.
THis seems like a smart idea. he seems to be the real deal for your team. thats the same amount of pay DP gets just his is 15 years. I think 7 years is a really good idea for the rangers.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 10:30 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post

Yes, but our GM is not insane.
LOL, I'm glad someone replied to that quote before I did. No reason anyone should get more than 7 years, period. Dipietro's a huge risk for that contract, like A-rod's. 7 years is good for Henrik, he's really pulling through for you guys and is becoming one of the top goalies in the league, 7 years at $4.5 million is a steal for his caliber.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 10:33 AM
bcrt2000

I guess this means Lundqvist avoided the EA Sports curse (he was the on the cover of the Swedish NHL 07).

PS: I'd sign this guy for 10 years at that price.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 10:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Lundqvist made nearly $4 million in his first two NHL seasons w/his performance bonuses

Miikka Kiprusoff signed for 3 years/$10 million deal after the lockout ended-$2.9,$3.5 and $3.6 million

Ryan Miller signed for 3 years/$8 million before this season-$2 million,$2.5 million and $3.5 million

Kiprusoff will cash in next summer when he is a group III or when/if Calgary rewards him

I thought 4 years/$14 million would be a fair deal for Lundqvist-$3,$3,$4 and $4 million.You could look at years 5-7 being worth $5.8 million which would still be a good deal considering Tomas Vokoun is making $5.7 million cap# in a four year extension which starts next season which is the same amount Marty Turco is making(entering 2nd season of a 4 year extension).Evgeni Nabokov is making $5.375 million cap #(entering 2nd season of a 4 year extension).Roberto Luongo is making $6.75 million cap #(entering 2nd season of a 4 year extension)

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote