HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Malik Interview

Old
05-07-2007, 05:22 PM
MMessier11

vCash: 500
Malik Interview

I've been hearing everybody talk about how much of a jerk Malik sounded like in an interview with him yesterday, but I didn't see the interview. Does anyone know where I can find it or if someone can put it on youtube? If not can you guys explain what he said.

And on another note, even if he was a jerk when talking about the fans, what did we really expect. The guy can only get booed so much before he starts disliking those that dislike him.

MMessier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMessier11 View Post
I've been hearing everybody talk about how much of a jerk Malik sounded like in an interview with him yesterday, but I didn't see the interview. Does anyone know where I can find it or if someone can put it on youtube? If not can you guys explain what he said.

And on another note, even if he was a jerk when talking about the fans, what did we really expect. The guy can only get booed so much before he starts disliking those that dislike him.
I havent seen this but I cant blame him if hes pissed at the fans.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Onion Boy

He was not a jerk at all. If anything I felt bad for the guy. He competes so hard and his teammates love him.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
He was not a jerk at all. If anything I felt bad for the guy. He competes so hard and his teammates love him.
exactly, he basically said he doesnt play for the fans, he plays for his teammates, he said theres nothing he can do if they keep booing him.

i never boo a player, even poti (*shudders*), but the guy deserves the ire of the fans (though i prefer they dont boo him)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
FLYLine24*

When there was 30 second left and the Rangers were in the process of calling a timeout, Malik was looking toward the crowd and raising his hand up to get the Fans to cheer louder, he did this about 4 times to different areas of the arena..I thought that was pretty cool of him to do and the fans definitely responded to that.

How often does a player interact with the fans like that? Pretty much never (cept Lundqvist last year).

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 06:50 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
exactly, he basically said he doesnt play for the fans, he plays for his teammates, he said theres nothing he can do if they keep booing him.

i never boo a player, even poti (*shudders*), but the guy deserves the ire of the fans (though i prefer they dont boo him)
I'm basically of the same mindset as you. He didn't sound like a jerk but the fans really can't complain if he was being one.

The only thing that bothered me is that he said he wouldn't change his game. I don't know if I'm inferring too much or maybe he's being stubborn now, but I just wish he would be a bit more conservative with the puck. Reduce the turnovers.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 06:52 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Malik definately gets a raw deal from fans. I think if you guys shored up your D, especially if Staal is ready...then he will thrive in his role better.

B.D. Gallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 07:01 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D. Gallof View Post
Malik definately gets a raw deal from fans. I think if you guys shored up your D, especially if Staal is ready...then he will thrive in his role better.
The guy makes some mistakes, some at bad times, but he is not the worst defensemen I have ever seen. He has made a lot of good plays with the puck in our end. He does not panic with the puck, he tries to make a play almost all the time and most of all, I really believe he gives 110% out there, how many players on the rangers since 1997 until last year could we say that about!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 07:32 PM
nyrage

As great as the fans were after the game, I thought it was disgraceful for people to boo Malik during the game. It's not like he is dogging it out there. Mara and Rachunek make a ton of mistakes, too. Even Rozie is sloppy at times.

I'm not a fan of Malik, but I didn't take his interview negatively.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 07:34 PM
MMessier11

I agree with all of you guys...I hate when fans boo him because I think for the most part it's just ignorant people who don't know enough about hockey. Don't get me wrong the guy makes plenty of mistakes, but he's no Dale Purinton. Plus, to boo the guy in the playoffs when all it can do is rattle him and in turn screw us as fans of the team, is just stupid.

MMessier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 07:35 PM
in the hall

Quote:
thats a bunch of crapola. i am tired of arguing this

malik will continue to get booed by me as long as he plays like the crap he has been this season

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 07:37 PM
JR#9*

I'm not a fan of Malik but I still would never boo him. Its tough when your a 5th or 4th defencemen getting #1 defencmen minutes.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
thats a bunch of crapola. i am tired of arguing this

malik will continue to get booed by me as long as he plays like the crap he has been this season
yeah, that +32 plus/minus is horrendous. Off with his head!

oh..and he was +6 for the playoffs

#2 D man for the playoffs in minutes on the Rangers

he's a guy who should be a 3rd or 4th dman...not eating up all those huge minutes. Thats a definative problem of not his creation.

its a shame that fans wear some funky muddy glasses and grasp on to the mistakes and forget the good plays he does that gets him these numbers.

B.D. Gallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Screaming Banshee

Marek Malik in NY reminds me of Aki Berg in Toronto. Big Euro d-man who couldn't win the fans over if he paraded down the streets throwing cash at them.

Screaming Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:01 PM
nickrOck

it pisses me off so much that people have the balls to boo this guy.. i mean enough is enough.. there was one play yesterday in front of the net w/. drury where he was going at it with him and did'nt give an inch.. he brought his game yesterday and has all season.. okay he makes a few mistakes.. every player in the nhl makes mistakes, even the "great" sidney crosby.. so i mean give it up, if your a ranger fan your a fan of the team and you don't boo one of your own.. who here boo's jagr when he lolly gag's it to the bench on every line change all season.? nobody so i think this crap needs to stop next season..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:03 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I'm basically of the same mindset as you. He didn't sound like a jerk but the fans really can't complain if he was being one.

The only thing that bothered me is that he said he wouldn't change his game. I don't know if I'm inferring too much or maybe he's being stubborn now, but I just wish he would be a bit more conservative with the puck. Reduce the turnovers.
I loved that part of the interview. The day that the ignorant people in the stands start influencing the way that a guy plays, that's the beginning of the end for that person as an NHLer.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

If Malik played in less key situations most fans would probably like him as a player...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:10 PM
mrhockey193195

Malik gained a lot of my respect with that interview.

I was not much a fan of the guy throughout the season (though I never booed him, I never boo my own players), but I feel real bad for him. And in the playoffs, he really stepped it up a notch. Aside from his game 2 blunder, he played quite a solid few weeks.

Like someone else mentioned, that play where Drury was in front on the Powerplay, Malik didn't give him an inch. He started using his body this playoffs, in addition to making great outlet passes. He was very good for us. You could see that he wanted to win, and he wanted to win for the rangers.

Also, it takes a lot of guts to try and pump up a crowd in an elimination game when that crowd has been booing you all season.

I'd like to see Malik back w/ this team next year (though in his proper role as a 3rd-4th d-man)

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:18 PM
cringer

There is a contingent of Ranger fans that cannot seem to be happy without a Ranger villian to boo at.

It's Malik now... before him Ozolinsh, before him Poti, before him Nedved, etc etc.

Malik's only hope if he sticks with the team is that some other fool makes a few mistakes and takes the spotlight of hate away from him. Until that happens - tag, he's it.

Personally I frickin hate it, but to each his own. The only time I really get pissed off about it is during the playoffs.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:28 PM
SickNice

Quote:
yeah, that +32 plus/minus is horrendous. Off with his head!

oh..and he was +6 for the playoffs

#2 D man for the playoffs in minutes on the Rangers

he's a guy who should be a 3rd or 4th dman...not eating up all those huge minutes. Thats a definative problem of not his creation.

its a shame that fans wear some funky muddy glasses and grasp on to the mistakes and forget the good plays he does that gets him these numbers.
NY fans are knowledgable for the most part and a bad turnover is a bad turnover, regadless of what # defenseman you are. That is why he hears Boos.

But you do bring up a valid point. Malik, much like Matt Cullen as a 2nd line center (and Bobby Holik as a 2nd line C, etc.), is a player that management brought in to fill a role that they are not accustomed to. I agree with Malik can be a very strong 3rd or 4th D-man on a roster. Arguabley a solid #2 D-man if partnered with a bonifde #1 (see Jovanoski). But here he is not. That is another issue to debate.

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:28 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
I never booed or hated Malik. He mad some stupid plays. But his passing skills are pretty nice (like long distance passes) He is a good defender no one seems to realize that.

This interview made me feel really bad for him. I love the guy.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:43 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I loved that part of the interview. The day that the ignorant people in the stands start influencing the way that a guy plays, that's the beginning of the end for that person as an NHLer.
Yeah, it would be a shame if he stopped turning the puck over. It would totally signal the end of his career if he would just use the boards as opposed to making that no-look backhander through the middle of the ice.

It's not like the fans are asking him to hit everything that moves or score or spring forwards for breakaways. All they want is for the turnovers to stop. He just has to be competent in his own end and responsible with the puck. Everyone makes it sound like the negativity is based on his style or his nationality or his abilities. This is rooted soley in his decision making. I'm not going to imply that the fans know more than the players or even as much, but I don't think the fans are asking for too much here.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

If a player is wearing my favorite teams jersey I will never boo him. Actually come to think of it, I don't think Ive booed any player except DP, but that was just to annoy a few Isles fans I was sitting next to.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:48 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Yeah, it would be a shame if he stopped turning the puck over. It would totally signal the end of his career if he would just use the boards as opposed to making that no-look backhander through the middle of the ice.

It's not like the fans are asking him to hit everything that moves or score or spring forwards for breakaways. All they want is for the turnovers to stop. He just has to be competent in his own end and responsible with the puck. Everyone makes it sound like the negativity is based on his style or his nationality or his abilities. This is rooted soley in his decision making. I'm not going to imply that the fans know more than the players or even as much, but I don't think the fans are asking for too much here.
but what many people don't realize is that for every turn over, he makes 5-10 excellent breakout passes that lead to scoring chances.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:53 PM
philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
I'm not a fan of Malik but I still would never boo him. Its tough when your a 5th or 4th defencemen getting #1 defencmen minutes.
Excatly

If Malik were to play 6th dman minutes, not take his madatory penalty, keep the game-winning turnovers to a minumin, and ocassionally use his size, I can't imagine we'd be dumping on him so much.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote