HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IIHF transfer agreement almost official

Old
05-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
IIHF transfer agreement almost official

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news...p?idNews=24632

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 12:07 PM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Still no word if Russia will sign, though.

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Erik Estrada

Here we go again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
It seems that Russia again wont be a party to the agreement ...

http://www.kommersant.com/p764042/Na...ockey_League_/

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
It seems that Russia again wont be a party to the agreement ...

http://www.kommersant.com/p764042/Na...ockey_League_/
I for one can say I saw that coming.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:38 PM
tiredman

What's the problem if the RSL doesn't sign it ? We can still sign a guy like Emelin even if the russians don't agree to it...

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:44 PM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456 View Post
What's the problem if the RSL doesn't sign it ? We can still sign a guy like Emelin even if the russians don't sign it...
That's the whole point. We can't (at least not as easily).

If the RSL doesn't sign it, then everything must be dealt on a case-by-case basis. If we want Emelin and he has a contract with a RSL club, we have to negotiate with the club compensation. If they had signed, the compensation would have been a preset amount, and the RSL club couldn't just refuse. Now, if Emelin actually wants to honour his contract and not have to get lawyers/courts involved, and the RSL club doesn't want him to leave, there's nothing we can do. With the tranfer agreement, it would all be sorted out.

Of course, courts have set a precedent by telling the RSL club of Malkin to basically suck it when the Pens just stole him away, which kind of confirms that RSL clubs aren't entitled to nothing and would be better off just signing the damn deal... But, you know, greed > logic...

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
What's the problem if the RSL doesn't sign it ? We can still sign a guy like Emelin even if the russians don't sign it...
Emelin is still under contract with Lada for 1 year... The RSL clubs have the following position regarding these players:

“I think that an NHL club can make a contract with a European hockey player only if he is a free agent. If a player is needed who has a contract with a European club, then please be so kind as to contact his employer.”

-Gennady Velichkin, president of Metallurg (in Kommersant article)

Bottom line, more red tape and complications to make him come to NA.

Old
05-07-2007, 08:48 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEB View Post
That's the whole point. No.

If the RSL doesn't sign it, then everything must be dealt on a case-by-case basis. If we want Emelin and he has a contract with a RSL club, we have to negotiate with the club compensation. If they had signed, the compensation would have been a preset amount, and the RSL club couldn't just refuse.

Of course, courts have set a precedent by telling the RSL club of Malkin to basically suck it when the Pens just stole him away, which kind of confirms that RSL clubs aren't entitled to nothing and would be better off just signing the damn deal... But, you know, greed > logic...
Well, I read somewhere that if the players wants to leave, he has to give his team a 2 weeks notice. After that, he can leave when he wants after this period. But when it does happen, does the NHL club still have to pay his russian club ? I think they don't have to but I'm not sure...

Old
05-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Well, I read somewhere that if the players leaves, he has to give his team a 2 weeks notice, he can leave when he wants after this period. But when it does happen, does the NHL club still have to pay his russian club ? I think they don't have to but I'm not sure...
Agents to these players and NHL clubs have started using this Russian labor law notice for hockey players. Obviously, the RSL clubs argue that it doesn't apply to hockey players. What it means is more litigation...

If the 2 weeks notice would be respected by all parties, then the NHL club would not have to pay the russian club. Problem is, the RSL clubs still ignore this notice and would still require the NHL club to pay compensation fees for a player they still consider under contract.

Old
05-07-2007, 08:59 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Emelin is still under contract with Lada for 1 year... The RSL clubs have the following position regarding these players:

“I think that an NHL club can make a contract with a European hockey player only if he is a free agent. If a player is needed who has a contract with a European club, then please be so kind as to contact his employer.”

-Gennady Velichkin, president of Metallurg (in Kommersant article)

Bottom line, more red tape and complications to make him come to NA.
This RSL sounds like a mafia league. Remember the Malkin story... Damn, he had to flee from his country and no one knew where he was... he was even hesistating to say he wanted to join the penguins... just like if his life was menaced or something ... I mean, the players are supposed to have the right to do what they want. If he wants to leave his club, that's his choice, even if he has contract.

However, I agree that the RSL team can sue the player for not respecting the terms of his contract.

Old
05-07-2007, 09:09 PM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I mean, the players are supposed to have the right to do what they want. If he wants to leave his club, that's his choice, even if he has contract.

However, I agree that the RSL team can sue the player for not respecting the terms of his contract.
Isn't the first statement contradicting the second one?

Anyway, it's the same thing here. A player with a NHL contract can't just decide to leave to go play in the RSL without either compensation or being sued, exactly like what the RSL clubs are doing to players that leave to the NHL. It's just that you rarely see it. The RSL isn't more mafia-like on this point that the NHL is.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEB View Post
Isn't the first statement contradicting the second one?
Anyway, it's the same thing here. A player with a NHL contract can't just decide to leave to go play in the RSL without either compensation or being sued, exactly like what the RSL clubs are doing to players that leave to the NHL. It's just that you rarely see it. The RSL isn't more mafia-like on this point that the NHL is.
No. They are supposed to have the right to do what they want when they want even if they can be sued for it.

For example, if you have a contract at your job that you signed and that says you MUST stay until 2009 and you're tired of this job. You can leave your job now but your boss can sue you for not respecting your contract. But you have the right to leave.