HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now that the Sharks out of the playoffs ...

Old
05-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Now that the Sharks out of the playoffs ...

Its time for Poile to retool this ****in' defense ... and priority #1 is sign Scott ****in' Hannan

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I wouldn't mind letting him go. It's insanely clear that the Sharks need a puck-moving defenseman with a hard, accurate, point shot. Hannan is a great one on one defenseman, but the Sharks would have easily beaten the Red Wings if they had a Wade Redden at the point on the powerplay (no disrespect to the Wings, but the Sharks sucked on the PP)>

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 01:50 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
I wouldn't mind letting him go. It's insanely clear that the Sharks need a puck-moving defenseman with a hard, accurate, point shot. Hannan is a great one on one defenseman, but the Sharks would have easily beaten the Red Wings if they had a Wade Redden at the point on the powerplay (no disrespect to the Wings, but the Sharks sucked on the PP)>
LOL. Losing in six games to winning EASILY because of a good puck-moving defenseman?

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 02:02 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
LOL. Losing in six games to winning EASILY because of a good puck-moving defenseman?
If you watched the series, you would see that the Sharks could not effectively break out of their zone very often. The Wings, with Nicklas Lidstrom making breakout passes, had little trouble doing this.

The Sharks powerplay got shut down for one reason. They didn't have an accurate point shot, allowing defenses to focus 100% on Joe Thornton on the half-wall. With someone like Mathieu Schneider on the point, opposing PKers would not be able to focus only on Thornton, because if they did, Schneider would be ripping shots from the point all day.

If the Sharks had a Timmonen, Schneider, or Rafalski, they score on the powerplay more often, and win the series.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 04:35 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Sharks lost to the better team with the better coach, plain and simple.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 05:23 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

You guys sign Timonen, we'll sign Hannan.

It's an unspoken agreement that was just spoken!

it will be interesting to see what happens to Ron Wilson. We were positive Trotz was gone after this year's exit and the way it happened...but a little over a week later, he was extended.

I mentioned in another thread...I'm just glad that I can stop rooting for the Red Wings. I feel filthy.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I mentioned in another thread...I'm just glad that I can stop rooting for the Red Wings. I feel filthy.
You too...I thought it was just me. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:44 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
You too...I thought it was just me. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one.
Im dancing for joy! No Cup for Ron Wilson!

Now I can pull for Anaheim, they can beat the Wings, and everything will be fine.

The Ducks-Wings series is gonna be great, two really great teams going at each other.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Uggh. I don't want Timonen. Sharks need an offensive defenseman with quality playoff experience.

You guys can have Hannan though.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 10:24 AM
PredsMan

I'm with you guys...it was hard to know who to root for...but somehow I just can't stand the sharks anymore.

now I can go back to hating the Red Wings.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 10:51 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
If you watched the series, you would see that the Sharks could not effectively break out of their zone very often. The Wings, with Nicklas Lidstrom making breakout passes, had little trouble doing this.

The Sharks powerplay got shut down for one reason. They didn't have an accurate point shot, allowing defenses to focus 100% on Joe Thornton on the half-wall. With someone like Mathieu Schneider on the point, opposing PKers would not be able to focus only on Thornton, because if they did, Schneider would be ripping shots from the point all day.

If the Sharks had a Timmonen, Schneider, or Rafalski, they score on the powerplay more often, and win the series.

Neither Timonen, Schneider, nor Rafalski is Lidstrom. Lidstrom very rarely makes mistakes. Nashville was a team full of puck-moving blueliners and they couldn't clear the puck.

As for San Jose's PP, Nashville provided a fairly good blueprint (way too often) on how to effectively play against the San Jose PP.

The truth is that Detroit executed their game better overall. For those people that believe that size is everything, notice that Datsyuk and Zetterburg hasn't had too much problems scoring in the series. Who was the least penalized team overall? Detroit. That allowed their players to stay fresher and neutralize the size advantage the bigger San Jose team had.

Detroit played their game. They played a disciplined game. They executed well, and when San Jose did get an advantage (which is to be expected given that they are a very talented team) Detroit relied on their experience and belief that if they executed their style and game plan, they would win. They were right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
You guys sign Timonen, we'll sign Hannan.

It's an unspoken agreement that was just spoken!

it will be interesting to see what happens to Ron Wilson. We were positive Trotz was gone after this year's exit and the way it happened...but a little over a week later, he was extended.

I'm not a fan of Brian Burke, plus I have a high respect for the vast majority of its organization and players.

Therefore, I hope Detroit beats Anaheim.

David

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
You can't have Pronger!

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Well, I can safely say there are three teams left that I will all equally root for against the Wings.

I do not think the Wings get past game 5 in this series. I truly believe the loss of Schneider will have a huge effect on the Anaheim series.

05-08-2007, 01:32 PM
RollingPredFan

It's funny how a series can turn on a dime. I have been reading the boards, the Wings fans were saying, we have to get bigger in the offseason after they were down 2-1. The more obnoxious of the Shark contingent began posting how great the Ducks/Sharks matchup would be, and totally jinxed them LOL

Then the Wings got the OT win and never lost the momentum from there. Now Wilson (who totally outcoached Trotz) needs to be axed.... Marleau needs to be traded? (I'd take him on the Preds thank you lol)

Oh well hopefully Poile and Trotzy can come up with a plan to get us over the hump next year. I don't know if we just need to get bigger or play wiser and have more vets on the team like the Wings.. They played much more composed.

Anyways now I will pull for the Duckies

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 01:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Its time for Poile to retool this ****in' defense ... and priority #1 is sign Scott ****in' Hannan
Look at that team, and why they lose. I wouldn't want anyone off that team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
It's funny how a series can turn on a dime. I have been reading the boards, the Wings fans were saying, we have to get bigger in the offseason after they were down 2-1. The more obnoxious of the Shark contingent began posting how great the Ducks/Sharks matchup would be, and totally jinxed them LOL

Then the Wings got the OT win and never lost the momentum from there. Now Wilson (who totally outcoached Trotz) needs to be axed.... Marleau needs to be traded? (I'd take him on the Preds thank you lol)

Oh well hopefully Poile and Trotzy can come up with a plan to get us over the hump next year. I don't know if we just need to get bigger or play wiser and have more vets on the team like the Wings.. They played much more composed.

Anyways now I will pull for the Duckies
I wouldn't ... Lochness Monster award of the series goes to said player ... he was as white as a ghost and nowhere to be found ... and that's your captain ? ... oooookay then

Old
05-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
I wouldn't ... Lochness Monster award of the series goes to said player ... he was as white as a ghost and nowhere to be found ... and that's your captain ? ... oooookay then
Sharks fans are overreacting. He had one bad series. The guy has been a playoff stud for the Sharks previously. 6 points in 5 games against the Preds this year in the playoffs. 8 points in 5 games against the Preds last year in the playoffs. Not too shabby, eh?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out he played hurt in the Detroit series. He wasn't himself. Even if he was healthy, it was one series. Fans are entirely too fickle these days.

Old
05-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Sharks fans are overreacting. He had one bad series. The guy has been a playoff stud for the Sharks previously. 6 points in 5 games against the Preds this year in the playoffs. 8 points in 5 games against the Preds last year in the playoffs. Not too shabby, eh?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out he played hurt in the Detroit series. He wasn't himself. Even if he was healthy, it was one series. Fans are entirely too fickle these days.
Excuses are for what ?

Old
05-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

I should have expected you to dodge the main parts of my post.

Don't worry. Marleau will be around next year in the playoffs when the Sharks battle the Preds. You can call him a ghost then.

Old
05-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Cyberslacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post

Seperated shoulder.

Similarly, Calder is having a playoffs to forget, but he's rumored to have a broken hand.

Cyberslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 01:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberslacker View Post
Seperated shoulder.

Similarly, Calder is having a playoffs to forget, but he's rumored to have a broken hand.
Calder has had a season to forget. We tried to tell Wings fans this would happen. He dissed the Flyers on his way out after he went out of his way to get an interview to tell the Flyers how excited he is to come here, and frankly Kukkonen and a 3rd, Flyers fans are thrilled with.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberslacker View Post
Seperated shoulder.

Nope, he's just a dog. Enjoy.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Is he really what you guys need? A one-dimensional defenseman? Don't get me wrong, I love Hannan's shut-down play, but thats all he really brings to the ice. I would love to see him out of our core D.

Rem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Cyberslacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Calder has had a season to forget. We tried to tell Wings fans this would happen. He dissed the Flyers on his way out after he went out of his way to get an interview to tell the Flyers how excited he is to come here, and frankly Kukkonen and a 3rd, Flyers fans are thrilled with.
With Detroit in the RS he had 14 pts in 19 games and was a +6. Wings fans are thrilled that he's a huge upgrade over Williams.

I guess this means the Blackhawks got screwed!

Cyberslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 06:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
Is he really what you guys need? A one-dimensional defenseman? Don't get me wrong, I love Hannan's shut-down play, but thats all he really brings to the ice. I would love to see him out of our core D.
I know it sounds odd, but yes, that's exactly what we need. We have enough one-dimensional OFFENSIVE d-men to balance him out...we need someone that does nothing but hang back and cover mistakes. Weber played a nice shutdown role this year, but with getting more time on the PP, it'd be nice if someone else could spell him a bit, ES.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote