HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What FA Would you desire the most?

View Poll Results: What Fa do you desire the most?
Chris Drury 82 52.90%
Peter Forsberg 4 2.58%
Ryan Smyth 6 3.87%
Daniel Briere 12 7.74%
Sheldon Souray 19 12.26%
Brad Stuart 7 4.52%
Scott Gomez 25 16.13%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-08-2007, 02:38 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Scott Hartnell. Alot of teams are gonna be after him. Hed give us size and grit and scoring. And only 25, one of the younger ufa out there. Id offer him a 4-6 year deal. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...=nhl-predators He will be entering his prime. Think people a 30 year old vet or a young ufa that we can build around and he would be in his prime.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 06:26 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNiteDumpsterBaby View Post
Can I vote 'none'? Cuz I vote none.

Same here. No reason for the Rangers to clutter up their salary cap by giving a player WHO HASN'T DONE SQUAT FOR THE RANGERS a max contract. The first player who should get that kind of contract is Henke. The Rangers have plenty of good, young , inexpensive to make trades for what they need. There's no reason to overpay to fill holes anymore.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 06:38 AM
pld459666

Out of the players listed above, Drury is the most complete player amongst them.

A very gifted player offensively, underrated defensively and as clutch as they come.

I was heavily leaning towards Scott Gomez throughout the season, but seeing 6 games of Drury who is NEVER out of position has changed my mind.

If we are to get the center we need to take the next step I'm not sure that there's a better option than him right now.

Let Shanny walk

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Prucha - Drury - Callahan
Cullen - Dubinsky - Avery
Dawes - Immonen - Bourret

extra forwards - Betts, Orr and Byres

Reason being is that while I love the hustle that Ortmeyer brings to the table, he has no offensive abilities at all same goes for Hollweg. They both have a place in the NHL, but I think that if we want to roll 4 lines and be successful to the point of contending for a Cup, you need to get production from the bottom portion of the line-up to keep the other teams honest.

Defence

Roszival - Malik
Girardi - Tyutin
Mara - Staal

Extra Defencemen - Pock and Baranka

As much as I rail against the top pairing, there's no argument that it's worked for 2 years in a row now. The 2nd pair could supplant the top guys as the playoffs showed how good they can be. That is a nice problem to have. I think that Having Staal with Mara is actually going to help MARA. The kid is a shut down type with a good shot and some decent offensive instincts, but Mara has not been the Mara from the Coyote years and having that stay at home good passing defenceman could really help him get his game back.

In Nets

the King and Montoya

He (Montoya) needs to start seeing NHL rubber so we can build up his trade value

Last edited by pld459666: 05-08-2007 at 06:54 AM.
pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 06:56 AM
chosen

Gomez by a country mile.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 07:42 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

None

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 08:10 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Souray would be a nice signing. He have grit, guts and a hell uva shot that Jagr and NYlander could use as an option when they passing the puck around. 3 years at $4m would be nice but I guess he will get more then that some where else. Ok, he aint the best in his own zone but pair him with some one who is and it could look really good, and with Lundy at the back, who needs a great D any way???

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 08:20 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
None
I guess I'm somewhat ambivalent. To a large degree, I agree with you. However, I'm not sure if we stay the course we can win the Cup in Jagr's last two years.We need to develop a top flight center and puck moving defenseman. Staal and Baranka should compete for blueline minutes and I'm comfortable. We need an adequate backup for the King. My real concern is upfront. REgrettably, our best players are over 34, Jagr, Nylander, Straka, Shanny. Avery though a nice addition is suited for third line duty with Cullen. wHAT DO WE DO WITH THE SECOND LINE, especially during the next two years? Develop Callahan, Prucha Dubinsky, and Bourret or do we go for it and sign Gomez, Drury or Briere. All things equal, I also stay the course or look to get younger through trades. However, management may look to sign a ufa and bring back Shanny.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Forsberg would have a lesser role on this Ranger team = less icetime, less pressure, less injuries more bang for buck.

He might really be a great fit as a 2nd line C. and if he does get hurt a kid gets a chance.

Forsberg, Nylander and Lundqvist

The Swede Trifecta

05-08-2007, 08:57 AM
nyr7andcounting

Off that list I like Smyth most... and think Souray would help our team most. But I wouldn't spend much on any of them. These guys are all over 30 with the exception of Gomez/Stuart, and maybe Drury.

If we're going to spend big money on a UFA let's wait until a younger guy is available. Players who started in the NHL at 18 or 19 will be UFA age at 25/26 with the new CBA (correct?). I'd rather throw big money at them than a guy over 30.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:27 AM
giacomin1

No free agents! Let's sign our own (Nylander and maybe Shanny).

This team needs to grow from within, and we now have the players in the system we need to make it happen.

giacomin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Drury. To this day I still have no idea why the Avs ever traded him.

05-08-2007, 09:35 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Drury or nothing.
The Rangers should know better than to sign an ex-devil. Everytime we do it backfires.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:58 AM
nyrtexan

I don't want Scott Gomez wearing our sweater.

nyrtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

No on Souray, just think he's a bad fit. Scott Hannan has stayed with the Sharks for a reason, they know he's valuable and several teams have already tried to pry him from the Sharks. I'd be surprised if he went elsewhere.

Our options are Drury & Gomez, Briere is too expensive. I like Drury, would love to have him come in and play 2nd line Center. Gomez is good too, but the Ex-Devil success rate is pretty bad - Driver, Maclean, Holik.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 10:46 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Same here. No reason for the Rangers to clutter up their salary cap by giving a player WHO HASN'T DONE SQUAT FOR THE RANGERS a max contract. The first player who should get that kind of contract is Henke. The Rangers have plenty of good, young , inexpensive to make trades for what they need. There's no reason to overpay to fill holes anymore.
You know part of me agrees with that but...

The team is in the same situation it was last year. Jagr is only playing another 2? years. As long as the big guy is on the team it's not going to be a pure rebuild. It just isnt. Nor should it be. The team did an excellent job this season of balancing a rebuild and a run into the playoffs. A couple of bounces and thsi team is in the ECF right now and that can't be ignored.

The team really improved itself at the deadline with Avery and Mara, I don't miss Ward and Ward do you? These guys will now get a full camp under Renny. Big PLUS

What was the team missing in the Buffalo series that would have carried them through?

Is that player/players already in the system?

Dubinsky? Bourett? Dawes? Staal? Korpi? etc?

Are those guys going to turn the Rangers into a Cup contender during Jagrs remaining years?

I think the Rangers will make a move for a quality UFA to improve the NOW. I think the team showed enough skill and heart to make that a smart move too.

As for the guys in Hartford coming up.....our present 4th line has NO offense. I know they make a great energy line and the PK guys sit there but look at Buffalo. Look at that 4th line. Connelly? Vanek?

We need some of that. We need guys who can block shots AND score.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 10:48 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The Rangers need to be wary of Gomez baiting them with a drawn out tease of a negotiation while the other UFA's get scooped up, just to see him turn around and give Lou the hometown discount.

Ala Elias

Old
05-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Stinkin' Root Beer

Wow, everyone's hot for Drury. I voted for Briere. Drury is all heart and soul (and a ton of skill, of course), so I would take him if Shanny doesn't re-sign. If we keep Shanny, I feel like there would be too much personality in the room and it might cause friction with Drury there as well. I think it would be great having a 1A scoring line centered by Briere behind the Jagr line.

That being said, a franchise d-man would be the best possible scenario, but that's just not happening this summer.

Stinkin' Root Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 11:01 AM
NYROrtsFan

Maybe Forsberg does make some sense...

If he gets injured as expected, then we go right in there with Dubinsky. If Forsberg plays 60 or so games, then Dubinsky can get some valuable experience playing the remaining 20 and we get to find out more about Dubi at the same time.

And if Forsberg stays healthy then we have a hell of a player too.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 11:24 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Maybe Forsberg does make some sense...

If he gets injured as expected, then we go right in there with Dubinsky. If Forsberg plays 60 or so games, then Dubinsky can get some valuable experience playing the remaining 20 and we get to find out more about Dubi at the same time.

And if Forsberg stays healthy then we have a hell of a player too.
For the right price, thats a win/win scenario.

Old
05-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Braxo

Drury, But I have a feeling that he will command a 7 mil /year contract next season. Hence the Sabres can't afford both him and Briere

Braxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 11:39 AM
NY Ranger86

as of right now.

i hate chris drury

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 01:21 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
You know part of me agrees with that but...

The team is in the same situation it was last year. Jagr is only playing another 2? years. As long as the big guy is on the team it's not going to be a pure rebuild. It just isnt. Nor should it be. The team did an excellent job this season of balancing a rebuild and a run into the playoffs. A couple of bounces and thsi team is in the ECF right now and that can't be ignored.

The team really improved itself at the deadline with Avery and Mara, I don't miss Ward and Ward do you? These guys will now get a full camp under Renny. Big PLUS

What was the team missing in the Buffalo series that would have carried them through?

Is that player/players already in the system?

Dubinsky? Bourett? Dawes? Staal? Korpi? etc?

Are those guys going to turn the Rangers into a Cup contender during Jagrs remaining years?

I think the Rangers will make a move for a quality UFA to improve the NOW. I think the team showed enough skill and heart to make that a smart move too.

As for the guys in Hartford coming up.....our present 4th line has NO offense. I know they make a great energy line and the PK guys sit there but look at Buffalo. Look at that 4th line. Connelly? Vanek?

We need some of that. We need guys who can block shots AND score.
this is why id love for the Rangers to go after the younger ufa. Guys like Vishnevski, Hartnell, Pyatt, Sarich. Hartnell is only 25 and will be entering his prime and get better. Pyatt had one good year and should get better, and since we already have his brother, it cant hurt, id rather take a risk on a 25 year old than a 30 year old that can break down at anytime.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I like the idea of a yojng shut-down d-man, but something about Gomez is very intriguing. I think the marketing possibilities in NYC would be huge, too. I also picked Gomez, becuase everyone was going to pick Drury.

I really see Renney putting together three speedier lines with at least Dubi & Dawes being added to the roster to give those lines some offensive punch, which will make it much harder to defend against, and hopefully draw some penalties.

No to Forsber, no to Kariya. Haven't we been down this road before?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 05:01 PM
slim399

I like the idea of signing Forsberg to a one year deal. Give him something similar to what we gave shanny last year. Maybe 3 Mill with incentives up to 5.8 mill. Perfect one year solution until Dubinsky is ready for big minutes. Don't forget Anisimov, aren't we bringing him over to play with the pack this year? He could be in the same spot as Dubinsky next off season.

Buy out Malik- 2.5 off the books and trade Rachunek 1.8. Total 4.3 Mill. That will pay for Forsberg.

Resign Nylander 2 years at 4 Mill per and Shanny at 1 year 4 Mill.

Deal off Hossa, Betts, Rachunek, Immonen, and one of Orr and Hollweg for some solid prospects or to move up to a nice spot in the draft.

Just love the idea of having 4 lines that can score... similar to the Sabres.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr (Great Chemistry, Love playing together, Keep them happy)
Callahan-Avery-Shanahan (Shamrock Line back together)
Dawes-Forsberg-Bourret (Let the two kids grow together, add a Great Vet to lead them)
Prucha-Cullen-Byers (Solid two way line- that can score)
Hollweg/Orr

Tyutin-Girardi
Baranka-Rosival
Staal-Mara
Pock

Lundquist
Montoya

Straka, Shanahan, Forsberg, Mara, Rosival all on one year deals
Jagr, Nylander, and Pock on two year deals.

Perfect line up to make another solid run in the playoffs... but keeping spots open for the future. You have to remeber that we have so many young players... coming up Anisimov, Pyatt, Dupont, Jessimen, Korpikoski, Sanguinetti, Sauer... just to name a few.

It also leaves spots open for some great Young UFAs that will come in the next two or three offseasons

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 05:16 PM
bleedrngrblue

Souray, Drury, Smyth in that order. Of course if Forsberg were to come here ala Shanny on a year contract to "test the water" and not look for a ridiculous contract, he'd go to the top of the list.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote