HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NYR 2007-2008 Speculation

Old
05-08-2007, 06:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
I just love the media who are assigned to cover the Rangers

Steve Zipay is an arrogant moron

What youth movement according to Steve?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

Just look at some of the players he suggests the Rangers sign

From the people who brought us Ice-Girl gate

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 06:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Larry has his usual Devil fetish

Quote:
Group II Michael Nylander will command a cap-charge increase of about $1.5M with a new deal likely at approximately $3.5M per, but the Blueshirts at the same time should enthusiastically dive head-first into the free-agent pool for 27-year-old Scott Gomez, even at the cost of five years and $27.5-30M.

If not Gomez, a breathtaking, break-down puck-transporter who would bring an entirely new and necessary tempo to the team, then by all means Chris Drury or Daniel Briere, both of whom will cost as well. Matt Cullen will be better - he better be - but the Rangers will be making a major mistake if they think the current group plus, say, Brandon Dubinsky, can get them a title
Quote:
Sean Avery, who is owed a $1.1M qualifier and likely will get a two-year deal for around $3M, is more valuable as a play-up-when- necessary third-liner rather than as a second-liner
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05082007...oks.htm?page=2

That Gomez number is light.He will get more than that

A title?

Old
05-08-2007, 11:00 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I hope we don't get Gomez. He hates the Rangers, and no Devil should ever put on the Rangers sweater ever again unless they've been through a thorough cleansing (been on another team for a while).

BTW, new jerseys next year, so either way they can say it's the "New Look" Rangers again .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
MrAlfie

i thought about this when i was browsing the other boards and saw a thread named "Kovy getting traded?".

Just wondering, how likely is it that the Rangers will go after a young superstar alα ovechkin,kovalchuk and horton?
i think ovechkin is out of the question because leonsis would get strung up by his balls if he let it happen.

oh and by the way, not that we need him but id like to see zherdev in a rangers uni. who knows, maybe the big apple will tickle out his true talent.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 01:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
i thought about this when i was browsing the other boards and saw a thread named "Kovy getting traded?".
Could have been about Kovalev . There have been a lot of rumors out of Montreal about him being moved.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 02:29 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Tom Renney told the Rangers beat writers this afternoon that Michal Rozsival might have shoulder and knee surgery this summer to strengthen up those areas.Karel Rachunek might have knee surgery and Sean Avery will have wrist surgery

I remember watching one of the Rangers practices on their site before game 3 and Avery was hit into the boards.He seemed to be favoring his wrist

The audio was on Sam Weinman's blog

Old
05-08-2007, 04:41 PM
mach777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't think Forsberg can be succesful playing center in this league anymore. Atleast not unless he somehow get his skating back. He hurt Nashville allot. A center these days must be able to cover a ton of ice.
Agree 100%

mach777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
The hunt for the cup!

What needs to be done?

New faces?

I am not comfortable to bring in size or toughness either up front or on defense, while it wouldn't hurt, through UFA. A new face will cost, the better he is the more he will cost. Size and toughness should be promoted from within, or through other cheap channels. Our buck needs to be put on hands that are hard to promote from within.

There are very few players on the UFA market that I would go into a bidding war for. One of them is Daniel Briere. He wuold make sense now and down the road. He is 29 y/o, though he might as well be 25. If we sign him to a 5 year deal, I would project it to be very safe that he will contribute at least as much year 5 as year 1. Briere have been one of the elite offensive players in this league the last 2 seasons. It looks like Buffalo will have to let one of Briere and Drury go, and with that team beeing on the brink of a dynasty a GW like Drury is worth more. If Briere don't really step up in the PO's, its possible that he only will take 6 million to get him signed.

He might not be a perfect fit for this team next season, but there is no perfect fit for this team next season on the market. And Nyls and Straka will soon be gone, with JJ in line, we will need talent. Scoring power. Players that can put us on the board on a regular basis. They are never easy to come by. We might got our chance now with Briere. He is one of the most lethal offensive players in the game.

He is not a franchise player, but 6m is nothing for a nr 2 offensive player these days. The fact that he only have broken out after the new rules, and that he haven't stepped up yet, could give us a good bargain. Normally a player like him would cost 7-8m, look at Richard and Datsyuk, 9m and 7m. If the cap goes up 6m for a player like him isn't much.

While Ryan Smyth, Gomez or Chris Drury maybe would cost as much, and maybe bring more for a cup run next season, I don't think they make as much sense down the road as Briere. Looking down the road we will have a ton of attitude and stuff like that, but we don't got that last touch offensivly that will make us a threat on a regular basis, someone that will lift others and put them on the board. I think thats the direction this league is heading. Look at Spezza and Alfie in Ottawa, and Buffalos team. Size and attitude, thats great, could make the diffrence in the end, but, without a ton of scoring you won't go anywhere. I don't think the teams that are successful will be so because they got a Scott Hannan. I think the teams that are successful wil be thoose with the most firepower. Thats why I am not willing to pay 6m for a defensive D, but for a 1-way offensive player.

I am also expecting Staal to win a spot in NY right away. And want to leave room for one of Dubinsky, Dawes and Korpikoski. A summer is allot for these kids, one of them will be ready.

Changes in philosophy:
I think its time for Renney to take another step. We need to adopt the Detroit in their prime way of rolling 4 lines. I am not talking about 10 minutes for the 4th instead of 7. We should create 4 lines that all can play, and play them equally, untill absolutely forced to do otherwise. Like down a goal and 5 to go. The order we start them will give the 1st a bit more then the 4th, since they are more likely to get in shifts before penaltys. Though the players that demands much ice time should get that on the PP, besides that they have to make do with what they get. Buffalo have gone all out with 3 offensive lines, I think its even better if you can have 4 that can win momentum.

Especially with our stars getting older we will need this. We can't afford to give players more ice time just to get them started. We can't afford to look at a individual and say that this player demands/must get more ice time then what he gets while rolling 4 lines. We must look at the team.

Here is how I would format the team, with comments behind my thinking:

Lines
Straka-Nyls-Jagr//Is not extremely effective, but give us momentum. Straka is great at that, getting the puck into the attacking zone. Just pushing the other team back is extremely important. It gets them off their game.
Avery-Dubinsky-Briere//My thinking here is that Briere really could jumpstart Dubinsky offensivly in the NHL. Both Dubi and Avery can shoot the puck, Daniel is a great passer, but can also finnish. I like the mix of one guy who can drive to the net, a center who can do a bit of both and a RW that would run the show. While Briere, who is a great set up player, may not play with the best shooter in Shanny, I think this is the best enviorment for him. Both Dubinsky and Avery works really hard, both hits, both got a ton of energy, that would open up ice for Briere. Thats what a player like him need.
Prucha-Cullen-Callahan//This line might not be a perfect fit offensivly. But they got tremendous energy. We would need that looking at how the rest of the team is set up. Cullen will probably be better from the get go with a longer summer.
Hossa-Betts-Shanahan//Shanny on the 4th? SHANNY ON THE 4TH?? We will playing Crosby 8 times. There will be many FO's late in games in our end. This is a line that is very aware defensivly. This is a big and tough line that would chip in with some goals. And when it comes to Shanny, he would get top minutes on the PP. I don't think he have been great 5 on 5 all season. I think this is the optimal way to use him. Late in games. On special teams. And defensivly 5 on 5. They can go up against any line in the league and hold their own, and will chip in with some offense. Can especially see them on the ice with 5 to go, when we are up a goal, against the other teams top line, and not only shut them down but score a important goal. If we play Toronto or Philadelphia and they start rolling on us, this is the line we play hard for like a 10 minute stretch. They got the size, they would still provide some offense.
Orr//The weakness IMO with my lineup is that there is no natrual position for Orr. Instead of Hossa? Nah. Prucha? Nah, and he wouldn't contribute at all for Cullen...

D-Pairings
Staal-Rozsival//I think this is the "easiest" position on the team. Its also a perfect position for Staal. He would get involved both ways right away. He would play allot with the puck, and enough without it.
Tyutin-Mara//Would like to see this pairing since they would give us allot of offensive firepunch, could defenitly help the 2nd and 4th unit.
Malik-Girardi//I think these two would be good fit with the 3rd line. Defense first and that unit doesn't use their D's all that much in the offensive zone. Many will say, wait a minute, Malik? I think he contributes allot on the PK and late in games. He wouldn't be asked to do too much in a role like this.
Pφck

Lundqvist
Weekes/Valley/UFA// Don't think its wise to bring up Montoya yet, he needs more timme in the AHL. Think he develops more there.

1st PP unit
Avery-Briere-Shanahan
Mara-Cullen//Briere would give this unit a whole other dimension. Defenitly better suited for slow regular season game then JJ's unit.

2nd PP unit
Prucha-Nyls-Jagr
Straka-Rozsival//When JJ is 125% on, play him till he dropps on the PP. But, in 2nd periods when we have started well and got a opertunity to put the game away, JJ isn't a perfect fit. He needs to be desperate, Nyls too.

PK units
1. Hossa-Betts-Malik-Girardi
2. Avery-Shanahan-Tyutin-Mara
3. Cullen-Callahan-Rozival-Staal

Bye, bye
Ryan Hollweg and Jed Ortmayer. Honestly sad to see you guys go. Though, if Shanny is comming back, and Betts, I don't see any room for Orts. I want Shanahan in his "role" 5 on 5, and other would have to step up on the PK. While Holly's hitting is something that we lack, I don't think its possible to spare one spot for that ability alone. Dubinsky can hit hard. Avery can hit. Callahan can hit. Prucha can hit. Shanny could atleast hit. They have to step up. We will see injurys, then someone like Byers could come in and hit. Though, we can't justifye Holly from my point of view. Another aspect is that Orts have stepped back, not up, in the playoffs for two staight years. When the gooing have gotten really tough he have dissapeared. I don't see that changing. If we are gooing for the cup next season, I don't see him playing a huge role. All 19 players that play must be able to be great in their specific role. Orts can be extremely useful, though I don't see him playing great in the PO's.

Last word
I think its absolutely essential for this team to have 4 solid lines if we are to have a remote shot at the cup. I could backfire if we drop Orts, and Shanny might struggle offensivly not playing with the best linemates ect. Our 1st might not be able to come through enough. But, the "safer" options, with 3 peaked lines and a 4th that can take some heat, would put us in the same position again. With Jagr and co running out of gas at this time of the year. Not in their legs necessary, but in his head. Without a doubt the penatlys was a result of beeing tired mentally and all the pressure. 4 lines that can play, if they all click, if that lets us cruise into the PO's, and if the young players can step up even more, might might might give us a shot at the Cup. I don't see another option.
I really like Ola's thinking here, and would probably amend my choice on the FA thread from Gomez to Briere on this thinking. My only concern about Briere is his production to date in the POs. Then again, Gomez wasn't at his best this year either.

The thing about rolling 4 speedy lines, is the likelihood your opponent will take dumb interference penalties, because they can't keep up.

Nice analysis, Ola!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Bretzky*

Selanne Nylander Jagr
Shanahan Kariya Straka
Avery Cullen Callahan
Hossa Betts Ortmeyer

Tyutin Girardi
Staal Roszival
Mara Malik

Lundqvist
Montoya

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Tom Renney told the Rangers beat writers this afternoon that Michal Rozsival might have shoulder and knee surgery this summer to strengthen up those areas.Karel Rachunek might have knee surgery and Sean Avery will have wrist surgery

I remember watching one of the Rangers practices on their site before game 3 and Avery was hit into the boards.He seemed to be favoring his wrist

The audio was on Sam Weinman's blog
I don't think Rachunek won't be wearing Broadway Blue in 07-08.

Old
05-08-2007, 05:24 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Selanne Nylander Jagr
Shanahan Kariya Straka
Avery Cullen Callahan
Hossa Betts Ortmeyer

Tyutin Girardi
Staal Roszival
Mara Malik

Lundqvist
Montoya
Am I missing something? When did Kariya ever move to center ice?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Larry has his usual Devil fetish
Elias, the best player in the league according to Brooks...

I like Gomez more then Drury (for us that is).

Though, I am a bit afraid that we will overrate the offensive productions both can bring. Drury with a career high of 69 pts and Gomez having only scored more then 71 pts once in a very good enviorment.

My guess is that all 3, and every other big UFA, will be looking for long contracts, like 5 years.

When I look at homegrown players that we got here in NY or comming through the pipeline I see Prucha, Callahan, Avery (will probably be here for a while), Hossa, Korpikoski, Dubinsky, Bourret, Dawes, Pyatt, Moore, Anisimov, Dupont and a few others like them. There is all the character, attitude and work ethic in the world on that list, though not any top notch firepower.

If we commit to a player like Gomez, we will be paying him 6-7 m in the season of 2013. He is a good fit in our system, he would be a good fit in the lockerroom, he is a good player in allot of aspects. He would compliment Shanny really well next season, and be a great fit after Nyls. But 3 years down the line, he makes allot less sense for me.

Go for Briere. He is underrated IMO. At below 180 lbs, and for a player with his style, it was extremely hard to be successful in the old NHL. He is pretty much impossible to shut down these days. He can be kept off the scoreboard but when he is on the ice his line will always create offense.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 05:58 PM
hlundqvist30*

Keep Valiquette as backup up. First of all, I can think of a much better way to spend 1-1.3 mill than on a backup goalie with whom we have in goal right now. We haven't even given him a chance. We are talking about a guy that won a game for us IN HIS FIRST CAREER NHL START. Yes, he wasn't exactly Ken Dryden, but he was pretty decent, and once again, it was his first start. If come December of next season we realize he isn't getting it done, then fine, trade for a goalie. Give the guy a chance. Throwing him away without a real shot would be what the pre-lockout Rangers would do.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Keep Valiquette as backup up. First of all, I can think of a much better way to spend 1-1.3 mill than on a backup goalie with whom we have in goal right now. We haven't even given him a chance. We are talking about a guy that won a game for us IN HIS FIRST CAREER NHL START. Yes, he wasn't exactly Ken Dryden, but he was pretty decent, and once again, it was his first start. If come December of next season we realize he isn't getting it done, then fine, trade for a goalie. Give the guy a chance. Throwing him away without a real shot would be what the pre-lockout Rangers would do.
Valiquette is thirtysomething years old--that wasn't his 1st start in the NHL. He's a journeyman who's never started more than 35 games in the AHL--that's right, he's never even been the go-to guy in the minor leagues. Being stupid and having him as the backup goalie would be a throwback to the pre-lockout Rangers though, like the year Jason Mazzatti was signed as the backup for Richter.

The regular season is a real grind and can wear any player out--especially a goaltender. The Rangers need a backup who has the confidence of management and the players. Don't leave that job to a journeyman who's never shown much at all, even if it costs a little more.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:48 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Henrik (sign at 4 – 4.5 M for 5 years)
J Hedberg - new backup

Weekes let go
Montoya traded?? To Florida ???

Souray (sign as UFA at 3 years for 5 M/year) – Rozsival
Staal – Mara
Girardi – Tyutin

Pφck – 7th man

Malik traded (if possible)
Rachunek let go

Baranka, Sangunetti, Liffton and Sauer waiting in Hartford for the callup

Prucha - Nylander (sign 2 years at 4 M/year)– Jagr
Dubinsky – Horton - Straka
Callahan – Cullen – Avery (sign 3 years at 2.5 M)
Shanny (sign 1 year at 3 M) - Betts – Hossa

Orr, Hollweg extras - kept as insurance for toughness

Ortmeyer traded

Isbister – maybe kept as a spare part in Hartford (although the kids will probably take his spot when this is due) cause I think he was very useful down the stretch. His kind of player (i e big, stron and good in corners) was very effective against certain opponents style of play on the 1st line w Jagr/Nylander – but someone else could and should fit that role better.

Dawes, Korpedo, Bourret, Moore... waiting anxiously in Hartford for injuries and Old Father Time

Anisimov (will be a future top line center imo) being tuned in in Hartford

Malik, a pick and Montoya traded to Florida for Horton
Immonen, Jessiman and Ortmeyer traded to Atlanta for J Hedberg

This looks good...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
J Hedberg - new backup

Weekes let go

Staal – Mara
Girardi – Tyutin

Pφck – 7th man

Rachunek let go

Ortmeyer traded

Isbister – maybe kept as a spare part in Hartford (although the kids will probably take his spot when this is due) cause I think he was very useful down the stretch. His kind of player (i e big, stron and good in corners) was very effective against certain opponents style of play on the 1st line w Jagr/Nylander – but someone else could and should fit that role better.

Dawes, Korpedo, Bourret, Moore... waiting anxiously in Hartford for injuries and Old Father Time

This looks good...
I don't agree with a lot of the stuff you said, but wow was that a pretty post.

Old
05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
J Hedberg - new backup

Weekes let go

Staal – Mara
Girardi – Tyutin

Pφck – 7th man

Rachunek let go

Ortmeyer traded

This looks good...
Why completely change the face of the team? The team we have now works, just needs some tweaking. Maybe if we didn't make the playoffs I'd agree with you, but that's not the case...

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
J Hedberg - new backup

Weekes let go

Staal – Mara
Girardi – Tyutin

Pφck – 7th man

Rachunek let go

Ortmeyer traded

This looks good...
we overpay for a backup and Flordia would not want Malik, they would want one of Staal, Sauer, Baranka, Tyutin in a deal for Horton.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Forechecker

Orts is a UFA, so he'd be difficult to trade. Why would Atlanta or Flordia makes those deals to a conference rival? Shanny as a $3MM 4th line checking winger, I wouldn't resign him if that was going to be his role, we've got others to do that. What has Prucha done lately to earn/be given a spot on the top line?

Old
05-09-2007, 01:13 PM
King Prucha

how about....

Prucha, Montoya, and a 1st

for one of Lecavalier or Richards.

Would be a relatively young stud center in their prime.

TB needs a goalie, and needs cap room as well.

Just thinking out loud.

King Prucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 01:15 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I don't agree with a lot of the stuff you said, but wow was that a pretty post.
Kinda like M & M:s
Look better than they taste

Old
05-09-2007, 01:29 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Orts is a UFA, so he'd be difficult to trade.
True

Quote:
Shanny as a $3MM 4th line checking winger, I wouldn't resign him if that was going to be his role, we've got others to do that.
I think that it would be a very strong and tough line to meet (not playing other teams top lines though) as they would combine speed, tenacity and toughness unheard of on most teams 4th lines. Phasing out Shanny (use him on PP though) with 10-14 minutes of efficient time while providing guidance and leadership NA style for the youngsters is imo a very cheap investment for one year - when a run for Stanleys Cup could actually be made.

Quote:
What has Prucha done lately to earn/be given a spot on the top line?
I believe Pruch on the 1st line backed with Jagr and Nyles- especially if he puts on a kg or two this summer -would net 30-35 goals next year. That should do. He΄s scored over 50 goals his 1st 2 years being bounced around and not getting optmal minutes. There are many alternatives with this lineup if this were to falter. Just my opinion though

Old
05-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Forechecker

I don't disagree that a 4th line with Shanny would be huge, but not sure he would sign/accept that role, nor would I blame him. 3rd line with a similar role and 14-18 minutes is a comprimise I think he would accept.

My issue with Prucha, who has huge upside, is I think he gets a bit star-struck playing with Jagr, and moves out of his game to try to match jags. He seems to play more naturally as a north-south kind of guy, and could really have a break out year with a playmaker center. We could really see him flourish on a 2nd line with Straka and a Center TBD.