HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery calling for Gomez;takes one last jab at sid

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2007, 12:15 AM
  #1
JamesG1221
 
JamesG1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Avery calling for Gomez;takes one last jab at sid

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/


Good stuff on the blog tonight so check it out. One part that I got a kick out of was this part from Avery who will apparently be having wrist surgery in the offseason.




And speaking of free agents, Tom Renney, Sean Avery, and Brendan Shanahan all acknowledged the teamís need for a second line center, with Avery going so far as to single out Scott Gomez.

ďI think Gomez would be, I certainly wouldnít mind playing with him, thatís for sure,Ē Avery said.ĒThat would be big. Thatís where the depth comes in. I think thatís the difference. As much as I can handle playing 18 minutes a night, a guy like that is a second line center or first line center, thatís his job. Then you just throw me on the wing to clean up all the dirty stuff.Ē

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:17 AM
  #2
DontStaal
Registered User
 
DontStaal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
<---------

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:18 AM
  #3
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,160
vCash: 500
Awards:
I believe Gomez has already stated he won't sign with the Rangers.

__________________
1995, 2000, 2003..........
Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:31 AM
  #4
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
I believe Gomez has already stated he won't sign with the Rangers.

I heard that somewhere too...

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 01:27 AM
  #5
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
I believe Gomez has already stated he won't sign with the Rangers.
I dont think he will but...money talks....

as for avery...somebody needs to tell him his act is going to wear thin in New York if his play drops off even a little bit next season...

I love Avery but there is no need to take shots at these guys....funny or not...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 01:33 AM
  #6
The Polak*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I dont think he will but...money talks....

as for avery...somebody needs to tell him his act is going to wear thin in New York if his play drops off even a little bit next season...

I love Avery but there is no need to take shots at these guys....funny or not...
There is no chance the rangers will be the front runners for Gomez. (assuming shanahan re-signs)

The rangers have other more pressing needs and Edmonton/washington/philly/others could easily offer 6-7 million on a longterm deal.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 01:40 AM
  #7
HVPOLARBEARS19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY
Country: Israel
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
I believe Gomez has already stated he won't sign with the Rangers.
Good...I'd rather have Briere or Drury if the oppurtunity arises. Gomez is definately a good player, but I don't think he's as talented as Briere, or even close to as clutch, or as good of a leader as Drury.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 01:48 AM
  #8
Captain11
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Upstate New York
Country: United States
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Gomez had a great year last year (80 some points i believe) but then came down to earth with 60 this year. Hes only had 2 70 point seasons and that 80.

....what I'm saying is that although hes a good presence on the ice and the locker room, hes not worth the 5 million hes making this year. Gomez would play on a line with avery and who knows (shanny? prucha?) -- Either way its not going to be Elias, and I really dont think he would top 50 points without playing with an elite scorer.

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:14 AM
  #9
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
Bottom line the Rangers don't want a guy that just wants the money. That player has to want be a New York Ranger i.e. Shanahan. Gomez strikes me as an integrity player. If he wants to be a Ranger and the feeling is mutual, then the Rangers will be front runners for him.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:15 AM
  #10
JamesG1221
 
JamesG1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain11 View Post
Gomez had a great year last year (80 some points i believe) but then came down to earth with 60 this year. Hes only had 2 70 point seasons and that 80.

....what I'm saying is that although hes a good presence on the ice and the locker room, hes not worth the 5 million hes making this year. Gomez would play on a line with avery and who knows (shanny? prucha?) -- Either way its not going to be Elias, and I really dont think he would top 50 points without playing with an elite scorer.




Way I see it is if they're going to spend serious money on a 2nd line center it should be someone else. Gomez has had "Nylanderitis" in the past (not shooting enough). Can't see him wanting to come here either. He's one of those guys with the Lou Lam loyalty. Can't resist mentioning though that if he DID come, Gionta would probably be tempted to be next having both Gomez and his pal Callahan playing on a line in NY together

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:32 AM
  #11
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,247
vCash: 500
i have a feeling Atlanta is going to go HARD after Gomez.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:37 AM
  #12
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,748
vCash: 500
Whatever the case--with Gomez or not the Rangers need to find a top line center. It is their biggest hole and one they don't seem to have a good fit yet ready within their own system of prospects for. To me this is the only real hole they have to fill.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:48 AM
  #13
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Whatever the case--with Gomez or not the Rangers need to find a top line center. It is their biggest hole and one they don't seem to have a good fit yet ready within their own system of prospects for. To me this is the only real hole they have to fill.
i agree a 2nd line center is VERY important. my choices would be as follows (in order):

Nathan Horton
Vincent Lecavalier
Peter Forsberg
Brandon Dubinsky

i dont think the free agent centers that are available are game breaking center. they are 2nd line guys who are going to get paid first line money.
I think we need to go after REAL, ELITE talent. not filler talent. Dubinsky is the 2nd or 3rd line center of the future, and Anisimov has high expectations as well, hence using Forsberg as a 1 year stopgap. However if you have a chance to get Horton or Lecavalier, you do it....gladly.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 03:08 AM
  #14
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i have a feeling Atlanta is going to go HARD after Gomez.
I concur. Edmonton seems like a decent destination for him, but someone random like Phoenix could step up.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 03:22 AM
  #15
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i agree a 2nd line center is VERY important. my choices would be as follows (in order):

Nathan Horton
Vincent Lecavalier
Peter Forsberg
Brandon Dubinsky

i dont think the free agent centers that are available are game breaking center. they are 2nd line guys who are going to get paid first line money.
I think we need to go after REAL, ELITE talent. not filler talent. Dubinsky is the 2nd or 3rd line center of the future, and Anisimov has high expectations as well, hence using Forsberg as a 1 year stopgap. However if you have a chance to get Horton or Lecavalier, you do it....gladly.

I've been screaming for Lecavalier for a while now, I would give up a nice package for him, starting with Prucha, dawes, Montoya maybe Hossa & Malik too

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 06:47 AM
  #16
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,656
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polak View Post
There is no chance the rangers will be the front runners for Gomez. (assuming shanahan re-signs)

The rangers have other more pressing needs and Edmonton/washington/philly/others could easily offer 6-7 million on a longterm deal.
no they don't

The Rangers most pressing need is a center that has the ability to set up the wingers that we have.

The team's defence as a whole is fine, the bugaboo was not being able to score goals outside of the Jagr line whrn the opposing team shut them down.

A 2nd line center that has equal or better playmaking abilities than Nylander would have been the difference in the close games against Buffalo

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 07:49 AM
  #17
Ranger35
Proud of NYR
 
Ranger35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: Israel
Posts: 3,461
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I've been screaming for Lecavalier for a while now, I would give up a nice package for him, starting with Prucha, dawes, Montoya maybe Hossa & Malik too
Levacalier is the one guy I don't mind trading for, and I'm of those that would normally scream in terror whenever a trade with Prucha is mentioned, and of late I'd say Hossa too, I think Marcel can still gain more confidence and play even better.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
  #18
Speedtrials
Registered User
 
Speedtrials's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alphabit City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i have a feeling Atlanta is going to go HARD after Gomez.
Gomez setting up either Kovulchuk and/or Hossa is a scary thought. With the Rangers, my first thought was to sign Gomez, but if it is true that money would be his biggest reason coming here, then I would have second thought. Playing the Devils 8 times a year, plus possibly the playoffs, might not help his game. Now that I am hearing Buffalo might keep Briere instead of Drury, I would love if we signed Drury.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 08:05 AM
  #19
LogiquePaR4dOcKs
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Helsinki, FIN
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I've been screaming for Lecavalier for a while now, I would give up a nice package for him, starting with Prucha, dawes, Montoya maybe Hossa & Malik too
So you don't think Tampa would want a single player with even second line production in exchange for Lecavalier? Throw in all the draft picks you want but that's not even a start.

LogiquePaR4dOcKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 08:13 AM
  #20
Ranger35
Proud of NYR
 
Ranger35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: Israel
Posts: 3,461
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG1221 View Post
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/


Good stuff on the blog tonight so check it out. One part that I got a kick out of was this part from Avery who will apparently be having wrist surgery in the offseason.




And speaking of free agents, Tom Renney, Sean Avery, and Brendan Shanahan all acknowledged the teamís need for a second line center, with Avery going so far as to single out Scott Gomez.

ďI think Gomez would be, I certainly wouldnít mind playing with him, thatís for sure,Ē Avery said.ĒThat would be big. Thatís where the depth comes in. I think thatís the difference. As much as I can handle playing 18 minutes a night, a guy like that is a second line center or first line center, thatís his job. Then you just throw me on the wing to clean up all the dirty stuff.Ē
There is one quote I liked best from that article:

Quote:
ďI think I can be better than I was last year, or maybe the year before that, you know,Ē Jaromir Jagr said. ďItís all Ė if I stay healthy during the season. But Iím going to make sure Iím going to be the best player Iíve ever been.Ē
Jagr can make it happen, do it!

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 10:41 AM
  #21
zestystrat
Registered User
 
zestystrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC > Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
The new team directive (via the Tom R administration): If you don't want to be here or you are only coming for the money we are going in the other direction.

This team has a lot of things NYR teams of the last 10 years have not had, one of them is chemistry. Lets not F that up with a FA that doesn’t want to be here but is in a NYR uniform for the paycheck.

I don't give a crap what Avery says, if Gomez doesn't want to be here, we don't want him.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 11:03 AM
  #22
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,794
vCash: 500
I remember hearing about Gomez saying that he wouldn't want to play for the Rangers, but does anyone know about an actual source for that? Or was it just hearsay on a message board? I've been searching on Google but I couldn't find anything.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 11:25 AM
  #23
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
clmetsfan: If I remember correctly there was an article saying how he "hated" the Rangers and didn't want to see them win. However that was early on-to the middle of the season and as someone said early on in the thread, that money talks, so we will have to see with him.

Also if anyone wants to see a great interview with Avery, go to www.newyorkrangers.comand go to rangers on demand. Its worth a watch if you have 7 or so mins.


Last edited by Finest: 05-09-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 11:30 AM
  #24
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i agree a 2nd line center is VERY important. my choices would be as follows (in order):

Nathan Horton
Vincent Lecavalier
Peter Forsberg
Brandon Dubinsky

i dont think the free agent centers that are available are game breaking center. they are 2nd line guys who are going to get paid first line money.
I think we need to go after REAL, ELITE talent. not filler talent. Dubinsky is the 2nd or 3rd line center of the future, and Anisimov has high expectations as well, hence using Forsberg as a 1 year stopgap. However if you have a chance to get Horton or Lecavalier, you do it....gladly.

After the year Vinny L had, I think the boat on getting him has long sailed.

Horton I think would be given at least 2-3 more years in Florida before they "give up" on him. Forsberg would break his leg the second he landed in JFK. Dubs is a not ready for 1st or 2nd line minutes. But I def would LOVE to see Vinny or Horton on this team next year.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:36 PM
  #25
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I think Gomez is going far, far away to a West Coast team if he doesn't end up staying in New Jersey after testing the free agent market. Something about being closer to home.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.