HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECC winner will play with Montreal before WC-2008

Old
05-08-2007, 02:53 AM
Muscle Bob

vCash: 500
ECC winner will play with Montreal before WC-2008

Hi guys.
I've got information that European Champions Cup winner will play with Montreal before World Championship 2008 in Canada.
I hope my team Metallurg Magnitogorsk will win ECC and meet with Montreal.
Good old Russia-Canada series

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 03:23 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Here was the original story if anyone missed it:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=206911&hubname=

Thanks for the news Muscle Bob. If it is indeed Montreal, it should be a fun event. Good stuff.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 08:37 AM
henri2014

But if we loose, the shame will be unbearable. If we win maybe it could help the team get rdy for the season.
If its only a game or 2 its ok but having playing a series might be too much. If its in September the team thats gonna play will probably play rookies and not many vets. I expect a first nhl exhibition game type of team for a lineup. A mix of promising AHL vets and good junior players.

Last edited by henri2014: 05-08-2007 at 09:02 AM.
henri2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:06 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by henri2014 View Post
But if we loose, the shame will be unbearable. If we win maybe it could help the team get rdy for the season.
If its only a game or 2 its ok but having playing a series might be too much. If its in September the team thats gonna play will probably play rookies and not many vets. I expect a first nhl exhibition game type of team for a lineup. A mix of promising AHL vets and good junior players.

I do not agree, if the NHL is going to be part of this they are going to ask the team that participates to be ready to win and the best players are the ones that are most likely to play.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:14 AM
flappuck

They can have the game at the Bell Center but if they're going to send the best of the ECC, they should play against the best of the NHL, the Stanley Cup Champions.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:45 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
They can have the game at the Bell Center but if they're going to send the best of the ECC, they should play against the best of the NHL, the Stanley Cup Champions.
That's the idea for future years. This year they're just trying it out and I guess Montreal volunteered. Not a terrible idea to expand brand recognition and player awareness in Europe.

05-08-2007, 10:55 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
That's the idea for future years. This year they're just trying it out and I guess Montreal volunteered. Not a terrible idea to expand brand recognition and player awareness in Europe.
Not at all, Feasel just said he would love for it to be the Habs but it is not his choice and a decision on who will go is expected in December.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
We now have a link to shed some more light on the issue.
English: http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=206997&hubname=
French: http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/228711.html

It seems it's just the IIHF President who wants it to be Montreal that GOES TO EUROPE to play against a European team.

The final decision on what team represents the N.H.L. will be agreed upon by the NHL and the IIHF at a later date.

" "As a Francophone who grew up as a Canadiens fan, it would be a dream for me to have the Canadiens," he said during an interview in French on Tuesday. "But the decision is not up to me. We will have to talk with the league." "

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 11:32 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
We now have a link to shed some more light on the issue.
English: http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=206997&hubname=
French: http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/228711.html

It seems it's just the IIHF President who wants it to be Montreal that GOES TO EUROPE to play against a European team.

The final decision on what team represents the N.H.L. will be agreed upon by the NHL and the IIHF at a later date.

" "As a Francophone who grew up as a Canadiens fan, it would be a dream for me to have the Canadiens," he said during an interview in French on Tuesday. "But the decision is not up to me. We will have to talk with the league." "
It's really an odd idea. Playing the NHL champion doesn't make any sense because if recent years are examples, each Cup winner loses half their good players in the subsequent offseason anyway.

I hate this parity BS, it just means that teams who can't build depth effectively look better and punishes the teams with excellent scouting and player development.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

I think this is awesome news, and I hope the NHL chooses the Canadiens. It is a very flattering offer for our club, and hopefully we win some more fans over in Europe.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 11:36 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I hope it's Perezhogin's team then we can embarass him and make him cry.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Cloudigger

Montréal vs europe

René Fazel, of International hockey federation, dreams of an hockey game between Montreal and Europe's Best for the Victoria's Cup. What do you think?

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...NH-mardi.shtml

Victoria'S cup is going to be a tounament between three teams, best team from Europe, hometown team and one team coming from NHL

Cloudigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 01:50 PM
SpreeEndaz

He said he'd like it to be the Habs but it isn't chosen yet so this is pure speculation.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 01:58 PM
MoonlightGraham

By the way, the tournament is called the Victoria Cup because Victoria was the name of the rink where the first hockey game was played. It was of course in Montreal. So it would make sense to see the Canadiens there as the first NHL team to compete for the Victoria Cup, unless they choose to send the NHL champions.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

As a matter of fact, it should be a four team affair with the Habs (As the most storied franchise in hockey), the ECC champions, Stanley Cup Champions, and home team.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Penalty Killer

I'm not sure if this would screw up the whole season, or give the Habs a head start over the other teams.

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:37 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
He said he'd like it to be the Habs but it isn't chosen yet so this is pure speculation.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:57 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I don't know why the NHL wouldn't choose the Habs. For a first it would be normal to have the most storied franchise in the world and the team in the city where hockey was born.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911 View Post
I don't know why the NHL wouldn't choose the Habs. For a first it would be normal to have the most storied franchise in the world and the team in the city where hockey was born.
Plus, I get a sense that an owner like Gillett gets it. He understands that hockey has avenues in which to grow, and by owning Liverpool (who is heading to the Champions League final at the end of the month), I really think that Gillett would be supporting this.

There are so many owners/managers across the league who would look at this and would probably shake their head, and refuse to go. It's part of the attitude that will probably end the Olympic/NHL partnership after 2010, even though it is probably best for the global game if the best players continue to go to the Olympics. Gillett's interest in European football would probably motivate him to pursue this, and try to expand the Canadiens' brand over in Europe.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 11:56 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911 View Post
Sidney Crosby. That's the main reason why the Habs wouldn't be chosen I see right now. The NHL would want to show the young star in Europe.

Though I hope the Canadiens get chosen for this tournament in 2008. I really like the idea and to me it would be normal to have the most storied franchise in hockey open the tournament. Unless of course they want to go with the Stanley Cup champions vs the European Champion. If that's what they choose, we just have to win the Cup next year and we're in.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote