HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey in So Cal...

Old
04-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Cropduster

vCash: 500
Hockey in So Cal...

having played quite a bit of hockey myself down here, is hockey "losing it" or did it just grow to quick in the early 90's?

Long Beach Ice Dogs-gone
San Diego Gulls-gone
RHI hockey-gone (much more popular in California than most places)

local rec leagues (in my neck of the woods): these may not seem important but with these shutting down, so do many/most high school grass-root programs:

Corona gone
Chino gone
Upland gone
La Verne gone
San Bernardino gone

There is some bright spots, such as the exciting new Ontario arena coming around which with the population base out here I am sure will do well, but I just wonder did it grow to fast or are we going to go back to a pre-Gretzky era where hockey is to take a back-seat to just everything?

Cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 01:42 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
you can't lose something you never had... Gretzky was all smoke and mirrors... there were fleeting moments, but hockey has always been an afterthought in Southern California... comes with the turf. Depressing, but true.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Awayboardn

Send a message via AIM to Awayboardn
Yea...hockey is slowing falling apart in socal...at least it already has were I live...me and some buddies just play tournments all around here...that's pretty much all the hockey we can get unless you go play ice somewhere in the valley....

Awayboardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
you can't lose something you never had... Gretzky was all smoke and mirrors... there were fleeting moments, but hockey has always been an afterthought in Southern California... comes with the turf. Depressing, but true.
Yeah, weird considering it snows here 9 months of the year.

04-27-2007, 02:28 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
I am perhaps on an island, but the Health South / Toyota Center league in El Segundo is running as strong and as well-attended as ever. Maybe the small core of fans not involved in the post-Gretzky bubble have gravitated to the well run leagues?

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Cropduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
I am perhaps on an island, but the Health South / Toyota Center league in El Segundo is running as strong and as well-attended as ever. Maybe the small core of fans not involved in the post-Gretzky bubble have gravitated to the well run leagues?
glad to hear... I am out here in the I.E. where $ affluency is not as high as Orange or LA County so maybe I'm on my own island. Glad to hear Health South and such are doing great

Cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Mindcircus

Where i used to play roller in the mid to late 90s, there's nothing but foot hockey now which isn't hockey at all in my opinion.

Also notice how you don't see many people rollerblading on the street anymore. Kind of sad really.

Mindcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Osprey

Cropduster, you may be interested in going to hockeydb.com and checking out all of the NA hockey teams that have existed over the last 100 years. You'll find that there are dozens and dozens of teams that lasted as few as 3 years, and not just in places like SoCal; teams sprout up and prompty disappear in prime hockey regions, as well. In SoCal, teams have been coming and going for 30+ years. I think that it's just the way of things for minor pro teams, especially in a sport that struggles most places in the US. I think that you may have a point, though, about a post-Gretzky decline.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 10:10 PM
ExplosionsintheGine

Add the Ventura Mariners Jr. B to that list...I was hoping to follow the footsteps of my brother by making that team, but right now I can't do that...they are no more.

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 10:11 PM
ExplosionsintheGine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcircus View Post
Where i used to play roller in the mid to late 90s, there's nothing but foot hockey now which isn't hockey at all in my opinion.

Also notice how you don't see many people rollerblading on the street anymore. Kind of sad really.
??

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2007, 09:26 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
If you want to play rec hockey in SoCal you pretty much have to fork over the big money and play ice. I live in Yorba Linda and play at Riverside Ice Town, Ontario, Yorba Linda Ice Palace and Anaheim Ice. There is also the newer ice rink in Artesia and Healthsouth. When I 1st started playing hockey (roller) in 1992 there was Stuart's Roller World and nothing else. Now I think all that is left for roller is AHC, West Covina and the 949 Center around here. So I think roller hockey isn't as popular as it once was but there are definetely a lot of choices when it comes to ice hockey.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

After Labeda closed all the big roller venues seemed to follow suit. There is a very good rec league in escondido which consists of 2 rinks, It is technically outdoor but it has a roof and has indoor tile. It also boasts very even leagues in terms of skills.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Big Daddy

Minor hockey in So Cal is producing several top end youth prospects that are moving to Junior, Major Junior, and College. In the last few years these players from So Cal are currently playing in the WHL:

Cam Cepak
Jon Blum
Ryan Letts
CJ Stretch
Mitch Wahl
Colin Long
Matt Sokol
Shane Harper
Joey Perricone
Jon Millhouse

With a newly added team this year and another one next year, the WHL is now holding camps in So Cal to recruit or draft these players in the bantam draft. Youth players from Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, etc. are now coming to So Cal to these camps hoping for a shot to advance.

I wouldn't pull the plug just yet. Several coaches and GM's that I talk to are licking their chops over this new and un-tapped market.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Kingsfan65

Same here in Phoenix. Used to be leagues all over the city. Now there are 2 left. Even with Gretzky here coaching (??) people are not playing like they did 10 years ago. Very sad.

Kingsfan65 is offline   Reply With Quote