HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Performance Appraisals

View Poll Results: How would BG and GCs' performance rate in a real world performance review?
Extraordinary 0 0%
Exceeds Expectations 2 2.99%
Satisfactory 32 47.76%
Below Expectations 27 40.30%
Unsatisfactory 6 8.96%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-08-2007, 12:47 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Performance Appraisals

If Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau were not icons, and if attendance was related to performance, how would they rate on a perfomance appriasal in the real world?
Extraordinary
Exceeds expectations
Satisfactory
Below expectations
Unsatisfactory

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Gainey: Overall, satisfactory, this year, below expectations.

Carbonneau: Unsatisfactory.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 12:51 PM
zurg999

You have to break the poll into 2 parts at least.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 01:05 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
You have to break the poll into 2 parts at least.
They are one management team, both responsible. Gaineys lives and dies with GC, and GC works with players Gainey provides.

Old
05-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Bulis hit

Satisfactory is my pick. The only reason why people vote unsatisfactory is because you are always awaiting from people to show all of their potential when you want them to.

I think carbo will be a much better coach next year. He will also have a much better roster to work with. The habs are FINALLY becoming a more stable organization(having a coach who stays even though the team plays bad) so lets be happy about this.

Look for the best, it's right ahead!

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Easily "satisfactory". I'm a little bit worried about some of what Carbo did, but I'm ready to look for improvements on his part next season. But I really like everything about Gainey. He's classy, focused, patient, he really brings the kind of approach and stability that we need. The player transactions aren't really significant compared to that (although he has also been fine with his transactions too). I can't say that he "exceeds expectations" in that, however, since it's basically exactly what I expected.

Hearty "satisfactory" for Gainey, cautious "satisfactory" for Carbo. And it *is* proper to disassociate them, IMHO... because I'm heartily satisfied with Gainey's approach to seeing Carbo grow on the job, even while being more cautiously satisfied with some of the specific growing pains Carbo has demonstrated.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 05:58 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
I fail to see how GC falls below anyone's expectations as a rookie coach.
#1 pp % overall - regular season
That stat alone should bring him up to satisfactory.
I understand the notion that he maybe mismanaged players but, those players also did not perform the tasks assigned to them.
We finished with 90 points which is above .500 and only 2 points out of a playoff spot and we all saw the Habs/leafs game and we played poorly enough to lose a game we should not have lost.
We have an all star goalie who really is not an all star and finished the season with a respectable goals against considering David Abiecher.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 06:15 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Carbonneau did a good job as a first year coach. Like an above poster said, under him the PP became 1st in the league and at one point the PK was up there too, ended up being middle of the pack which is good considering your goalie is your best penalty killer and our all-star goaltender was out for 2 months.

He did play the bottom lines a lot, but that's because he's old school and believes in line matching. Obviously hockey is different now. It worked when Lapierre went against Crosby (for the most part) but other times these lines were not up to par as Begin had an off season and Murray/Downey are garbage. Carbo was pretty much playing playoff style hockey the whole season, he needs to realize that playoffs and regular season are totally different, especially in our division with the explosive offensive teams.

A lot of people blame Carbo for "alienating" players. I think it's moreso the players alienating themselves. Kovalev is just a personality case, Mr. Ego thinking he can do anything and everything. He's lucky Carbo cut him slack and played him while benching Samsonov. We saw at the end of the last game he didn't put Alex on at all, and its a good message to send. Not his fault Kovalev doesn't give 100%, he has done it his whole career. He also handles the media well and protects his players.

All in all, a rookie coach with rookie mistakes. He did pretty good having no true offensive stars. We had a healthy Koivu, not being overworked and results coming in. Ryder with a 30 goal season, Plekanec given more responsibility and answering it very well, Higgins looking like he'd break out before he got injured, Komisarek put on the top-pairing and becoming one of the most reliable defenceman in the league I think. This was more of a year of transition, passing the torch to our young guys, and next year hopefully some support comes in and we become a playoff team.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 06:36 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Easily "satisfactory". I'm a little bit worried about some of what Carbo did, but I'm ready to look for improvements on his part next season. But I really like everything about Gainey. He's classy, focused, patient, he really brings the kind of approach and stability that we need. The player transactions aren't really significant compared to that (although he has also been fine with his transactions too). I can't say that he "exceeds expectations" in that, however, since it's basically exactly what I expected.

Hearty "satisfactory" for Gainey, cautious "satisfactory" for Carbo. And it *is* proper to disassociate them, IMHO... because I'm heartily satisfied with Gainey's approach to seeing Carbo grow on the job, even while being more cautiously satisfied with some of the specific growing pains Carbo has demonstrated.
Is cautiously satisfied like not quite pregnant? The Habs didnt make the playoffs. In the real world a manager is responsible for who he hires.

Old
05-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Is cautiously satisfied like not quite pregnant? The Habs didnt make the playoffs. In the real world a manager is responsible for who he hires.
And as I'm said, I'm very satisfied with who he hired. And very satisfied with the idea that who he hired stays hired. It really doesn't mean I have to be satisfied to exactly 100% the same extent with the performance of the guy he hired. They are separate issues. Not completely unrelated. But still separate.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Bob Bastards

We have to stop asking for the coach and GM head every time we miss the playoff or the Habs will start to look like the PQ...
Let's face it, we didn't have the firepower this season to compete agains the man in the league.
Kovy who was a head case (he always was).
Samsonov who did play half as good as he was suppose to.
Abby who look like a clone of Theodore.
Our defensive corps who riddle by the injuried bug.
The flu bug.
Our best forward this season were a second year smallish center (Plek), a soon to be power forward but still a rookie (Lats for half the year), a swiss dman who was convert as a forward (Streit) and a kid who came for a 20 games stint at the end of the season (Lapierre).

Our defense as to be upgrade. Markov have to be resign and if we loose Souray, we have to find a replacement.

Bob Bastards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Gros Bill

Below expectations for me. No playoffs + record worse than last year's = a step back.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:42 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

I voted 'below expectations' just because I think they should take some of the blame, even if I do not think either one of them is the root cause of our failures. Our lack of success lies with the players themselves and their inability to elevate their gameplay in a time of crisis. In essence, I think it is a case of the players making their coach look bad, as our system was working quite well for us until December, when the team just fell apart.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Kostitsyn404*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
I fail to see how GC falls below anyone's expectations as a rookie coach.
#1 pp % overall - regular season
That stat alone should bring him up to satisfactory.
I understand the notion that he maybe mismanaged players but, those players also did not perform the tasks assigned to them.
We finished with 90 points which is above .500 and only 2 points out of a playoff spot and we all saw the Habs/leafs game and we played poorly enough to lose a game we should not have lost.
We have an all star goalie who really is not an all star and finished the season with a respectable goals against considering David Abiecher.
I fail to see how GC is actually up to par with anybodies expectations as a rookie coach.

Key word: expectations

How were your expectations of carbs after the first half of the season? High I suppose.

Well even at the beginning of the season I'm sure we all had moderate to high expectations for him as he is Guy Carbonneau and Kirk Muller is his partner in this. On paper there's no reason not to have high expectations.

Did he go below my expectations? Yes. Were my expectations of him high? Yes.

Anybody here who thought the habs were going to make it into the playoffs MUST have had GC fall short of their expectations, (duh) and that's most people here.

So really, I can't see how anybody could disagree that GC fell short of expectations.

This is a team that should've made the playoffs. Somewhere along the way, Carbonneau's coaching took a good team and made them ******. And that's why we went from having the 2nd highest points in the east to 1pt behind TO. That's why we didn't beat TO. Because an amateur coach made a poor decision to put a struggling (just off of injury) Huet in nets when really, he should've put Halak. Halak had something to prove, he had been playing recently and was ready for that game. I doubt that second weak goal would've happened to Halak. I don't blame Huet, I blame whoever rushed him back behind the posts. (Probably Carbs)

Either way though, it was Carbs choice to play an injured goalie. This is a player who wasn't supposed to be back until IN the playoffs. Not only that, this is a coach who pulls a goalie who has been doing decently well to put in an injured goalie.

Sorry but GC fell severely short of my expectations.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote