HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bye-lander

Old
05-09-2007, 06:37 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Bye-lander

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05092007...oks.htm?page=2

Seems like Nylander's return might not be as guaranteed as we all originally thought. I think Nylander's in a perfect spot, but, if he and his agent overprice his worth, I don't break the bank for him..

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 06:46 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Just don't see it happening. He will resign here.

He's not leaving his family and newborn to make an extra half million. And he's not moving his whole family either for another season.

He's not going to leave Jagr either.

Just a strategy IMO to try to get a few more bucks from Glen.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

He's not leaving his family and newborn to make an extra half million. And he's not moving his whole family either for another season.

I see it that way too.
One would think GMs have a few marbles after all, and Nylander is not worth the money he would get somewhere else without Jagr. Yeah, on his own, he's a decent 2nd line center... But with Jagr, he something much more to the Rangers.

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

Thats whats the most plausible IMO.

Though, there is also some room for "concern". Nyls have never had a big payday. He have made 4 m for us over 2 years. 2.6m the season before the lockout. And under or just above a 1m per year before that. I think its safe to say that he got enough money to live happy for the rest of his life, but I would be suprised if he have been able to stuff away enough to pass on a fortune to 6 kids.

He did go to Siberia, Russia and play during the lockout, and he had 5 kids at the time, instead of spending time in Stockholm.

What could Nyls get on the open market? Look how few good players are available this summer. Look what guys like Zhamnov got lately, 4m. Nyls is probably only looking for a 2 year contract. Thats pretty safe for a team wanting to get some respect fast.

I am not saying that I would want my team to do it, but I often think allot of GM's are stupid, I am afraid that if Nyls hit the open market he soon gets a 2x5m contract from a team like Chicago/STL/Washington/Philly/Atlanta or somebody. Then we aren't taking about taking a 500k cut, it would be a 3-4m cut. There are allot of teams looking for a upgrade, and with allot of cap room, and not many players available to go around. GM's seems to be desparate to get teams that are respectable, since its really hard for a team like for example Chicago to get players signing for them since they have performed so bad for such a long time.

I don't know, defenitly only speculating here, and like I said I think Fly's scenario is the most likely. Though I am a bit concerned. At 3.5 I defenitly wants him to stay.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Smashley

Yeah he pretty much said after game six that as long as Jag's was back, so was he.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
It makes too much sense for Nylander to stay here with Jagr and Straka already signed. He's easily had his finest season with playoffs included, why fix something that isn't broken?

Even if he doesn't sign, there should be some nice options for #1 center this off season.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Speedtrials

I would be absolutely shocked to not see him in a Ranger jersey next season. From an outside perspective it just seems to make perfect sense for everyone, for him to come back.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Chimp

Yeah I would also be very, very surprised if Nylander wasn't on the team this autumn. He and Jagr are perfect together and they produce great hockey.

Nylander wants to stay, so should Rangers want.

Last edited by Chimp: 05-09-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 07:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
. Nyls is probably only looking for a 2 year contract.
Quote:
Nylander told me he wants to play another six or seven years. And he definitely wants to re-sign with the Rangers. The sides exchanged contract extension numbers during the season. But Nylander cut off the talks as the playoffs approached, wanting to concentrate solely on the games.

"Now that the hockey is over, we can talk again," Nylander said
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Paul Theofanous owes the Rangers for the Sandis Ozolinsh debacle.The knee was fine when he was playing in the NHL but when he was placed on waivers and assigned to Hartford,his knee became an issue.If the Rangers wanted to suspend Ozolinsh w/out pay and drag out any grievance filed by Theofanous for the next 10 years,they could have done it.Cablevision has many lawyers at their disposal

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 08:49 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

blah blah blah

I'd say there is zero chance Nylander thinks of signing anywhere else, even for more $$$

He's got a good thing here in NY.

05-09-2007, 09:01 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

More drama from the usual suspect. Take it easy on the estrogen pills. Where does it say he was not coming back besides the headline?

If Nylander doesn't come back Jagr burns MSG down.

05-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
It's just crazy Uncle Larry making shee-it up again.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/

[Nylander told me he wants to play another six or seven years. And he definitely wants to re-sign with the Rangers. The sides exchanged contract extension numbers during the season. But Nylander cut off the talks as the playoffs approached, wanting to concentrate solely on the games.

"Now that the hockey is over, we can talk again," Nylander said.]
Hehe, he loves the game.

I know there is some loose talk about him returning to his first team in Sweden late in his career.

He played for AIK. Its somewhat of a cult club, probably got the biggest and defenitly the most violent fanbase in the entire country, but have always struggled. Some negatives involved playing for them, like if you plan to leave don't be suprised if you wake up one morning with the head of a horse in your bed, or at the least a brick through the window... Though if you do well for them there is maybe 600 000 people who will litterary threat you like you are a god for the rest of your life. They went bankrupt and was degraded to the 5th tier league like 4-5 years ago, and have slowly started the road back to the SEL. Norström, Tärnström and Nylander is three players they have raised who supposedly have had very loose talks with each other about returning at the same time to the 2nd tier league and help them up to the SEL.

Though I wonder if he will ask for a longer contract then 2 years. The thing is, if he asks for 3-4 years allot of suitors will back down, and the market will be much smaller. If he asks for 2 years, and proves that he can keep playing, he could make allot more dough.

Last edited by Ola: 05-09-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 10:11 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Nylander's already at the negotiation table. I don't get into a bidding war. He's in a great place, in a great situation, on a good team, centering a great player.

05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yeah, if he goes for more money, he will never hoist the stanley cup because i dont see contenders have the cap space to be able to afford him. if he goes for less money, then he wont wanna leave jagr, and NY.

id be SHOCKED if the guy was so greedy that he would take himself out of a cup running for the rest of his professional career.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:02 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrials View Post
I would be absolutely shocked to not see him in a Ranger jersey next season. From an outside perspective it just seems to make perfect sense for everyone, for him to come back.

Someone mentioned in another thread about how Atlanta was going to go hard at Gomez so they had someone to feed Kovalchuk and or Hossa...I'd assume Nylander wouldn't be too much worse with one of them rather then Jags....Point being- he'd have other choices but at 35 years old you have to wonder if he really wants to uproot and start somewhere else. Espeically with his family like someone mentioned..

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:04 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
It's just crazy Uncle Larry making shee-it up again.

Wait...this was a Brooks article? No wonder! lol...

Old
05-09-2007, 12:05 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Looking at the quote... this is yellow journalism at its finest.

Don't fall for it.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:07 PM
MMessier11

ya...please. The idiot Larry Brooks is just trying to drum up a story where there isn't one. Notice every other writer says its in the bag that he's back. Larry Brooks is the biggest joke of a writer in this town and he's at it again. Let's all remember the "JAGR ON THE MARKET" headline the day of the trade deadline.

MMessier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 01:15 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMessier11 View Post
ya...please. The idiot Larry Brooks is just trying to drum up a story where there isn't one. Notice every other writer says its in the bag that he's back. Larry Brooks is the biggest joke of a writer in this town and he's at it again. Let's all remember the "JAGR ON THE MARKET" headline the day of the trade deadline.
It's not him, it's his paper. The Post is renowned for being the most yellow journalistic paper out there. It's way worse than the Daily News. The Post doesn't need facts for a story, they just need their own imaginations.

Look at Nylander's quote... there's nothing to see here, there really isn't.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I can't believe that after all this time people are surprised by what Brooks writes. It's about as stunning as people being amazed by the drivel that comes out of the 2 clowns on FAN.

At some point, shouldn't we know what to expect?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Fletch

I'm not sure why...

Nylander wouldn't believe he can get $5MM per for three years elsewhere, or at least try, instead of the $3MMish the Rangers allegedly would offer. We all believe he put up his numbers because of Jagr, but there are GMs out there with teams in need of centermen who have decent wingers (at least I assume so). Perhaps Sather should've exercised that option in the Summer.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Luckily Larry Brooks wrote that!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:54 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I can't believe that after all this time people are surprised by what Brooks writes. It's about as stunning as people being amazed by the drivel that comes out of the 2 clowns on FAN.

At some point, shouldn't we know what to expect?

Agreed. Gotta love his little insinuation about Straks at the end of the article too. "Straka, whose left-shoulder separation somehow healed itself as he played with it the last two months, will not require surgery"?? What's that supposed to mean? That he wasn't really hurt? in fact, it was a bicepts tear not a shoulder seperation..he can't even state the correct injury.. GIMME A BREAK BROOKS