HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Larry Pleau Rates the Blues prospects at Worcester:

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Nick Blue

vCash: 500
Larry Pleau Rates the Blues prospects at Worcester:

And it doesnt look good:

http://www.stlouisblues.com/columnists/gc_home.html

Old
02-20-2004, 02:34 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
Hopefully the injuries are the reasons for some of these guys poor play.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I wasn't surprised of the comments made about Trevor Byrne and Aaron MacKenzie, I saw both of play last season in the NCAA. I was however a bit surprised of his comments on Sejna.

For those who don't follow NCAA Hockey, here's something to keep in mind about prospects who go to (or have gone to) ECAC schools, which Trevor Byrne did. The ECAC plays fewer games in their season than the other conferences. Coupled with the stringent demands that come with an Ivy League school (which Byrne also attended) it may take more time for a player from an ECAC school than say a WCHA school. This is by no means a knock on Byrne, Dartmouth or the ECAC nor is this ALWAYS the case. Byrne played in a vastly different system at Dartmouth. The one common problem that I find many NCAA players have when it comes to adjusting to the pros is having to adjust to a faster, tighter-checking game where in many cases, there is FAR less room to skate. IMO, this seems to be a more difficult adjustment than the grueling schedules.

Old
02-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Hopefully the injuries are the reasons for some of these guys poor play.
The only guy that's really played poorly is Pohl - and it wasn't due to an injury.
Sanford has had some bouts of poor play, but overall has been average.

Old
02-20-2004, 06:25 PM
c-carp

Thanks to both Oilers Chick and Speed for your commments.

Old
02-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Speed

Quote:
OK I got a little time to expand my response..
I agree with Pleau's assessment 100%.
What we should all hope for is that these kids are actually around in 2 or 3 years.
I wasn't expecting much from the IceCats this year, i was going to make it a 'sit back and watch them grow" kinda year.
I think McClement has progressed the most this season so far.
I think 210 is higher on Sejna's play than I am, but I can definately 'see something' in him. So give him tons of ice time, stick him on a one with one veteran and one guy his age up front, and see what happens.
I think the only one who's play sufferred due to inury/paternity leave was Sanford.
Now we're in a mode where Panzer, Pohl, Sanford, Johnson are hurt. And before that it was Pollock, Valeev and Scheff.
Hopefully they can all sync up, because for the most part ths year we've seen individual bodies on the ice, not a 'team'.
I'm still surprised they haven't signed Glumac yet.
If these guys can stay in the system without being traded, I think the Blues will be in good shape. If they start trading for 38 year old guys - well that's another story.

Old
02-22-2004, 09:10 AM
purple_heart

I would say I agree with Pleau in almost all the players he evaluated. He seemed to be as direct as he could without knocking the guys too much. His comments on Senja and Pohl were right on, although a bit on the rough side. Senja has loads of talent but has not produced neraly enough for all the hype (and money) he received. Pohl has been a disappointment and hopefully do to injuries.

I agree that McClement has been the most improved, probably along with Byrne.

McKenzie has been quite solid and a surprise -- you have to like him, but I am not totally sold on his NHL potential. Stuart is much like McKenzie, but injured a lot has limited NHL potential. Sheff has been out too much also.

Valeev and Black are AHL players at best. Not sure what to think about Hemmingway as he was not even mentioned. Quite disappointing as well.

I am still not sure why Hartlieb and Glumac were not at least mentioned. Are they not owned by the Blues and why not rate them too? They certainly have been 2 of the better Cats this year and are both young.

I pass on the goalies...

The top prospects would have to McClement and Senja upfront and Byrne on defense. Byrne continues to improve and will get better as he gets more comfortable. All 3 will have to become more physical to move to the next level.

Speed and 210, please continue to keep us informed.

Old
02-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Comments...

Sejna: "He's got a chance to be a top three-line player". Phew! That's a relief. I'm sure we all thought "3rd line" when we saw and heard about him.

McClement: Sounds about right - he'll be a 15-20 goal scorer, nothing more offensively. As long as the defensive aspect of his game excels, he's got value.

Valeev: "He can be an energy guy with size." I hate the term "energy guy" - I see that and think "skates around a lot, very limited offensive side". Let's hope concussions aren't a thing with him.

Quote:
In summary, none of the players listed above are ready at this point to make the leap to the NHL, according to Pleau.
Really? You think if we had someone who was, they'd still be in Worcester?

02-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Lowetide

Is he always this open? Holy crap. btw, Kekalainen was a brilliant pickup imo, the guy was terrific in Ottawa. I'll look forward to this guy's posting his interview next week. Will someone post it? Nick? Nick? Nick Blue?

Old
02-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Is he always this open? Holy crap. btw, Kekalainen was a brilliant pickup imo, the guy was terrific in Ottawa. I'll look forward to this guy's posting his interview next week. Will someone post it? Nick? Nick? Nick Blue?

You got it. I will post it when it comes online.

Old
02-24-2004, 12:58 AM
Saprykin Fan

hey

knowing every coloroado college player, and seeing them play alot, i am very suprised with sejna and stuart in diffrent ways.

Start with Stuart: I am very suprised on how well he has developed since WCHA, and looks like a solid future number 6,7 guy in the NHL, maybe a 5 if he gets soem hands, him and my brother fooled so many people on the PK last year it wasnt even funny, they played against the other teams top line, thats what i see his role in the future, to shut down the opposition's top line and make that quick,solid pass outa the zone that coaches love.

Now with good old Peter: hang in there peter!!!! Quenville just expected him to produce with weight, he wasn't given the chance to play with any other players such as demitra who he played with in world championships, from experiance you gotta play with diffrent people to find chemistry, i totally agree with pleau though, taking that step from NCAA to NHL is a huge step with skill level and most importantly of all, the schedule, in NCAA, u play every weekend, only 2 games, and end up playing an average of 50 games a year if ur a good team that CC was, he should have gotten used to the harsh schedule in the ahl this year then bring him up next year, the blues diminshed his confidence, and now he is starting to get it back, and is shown by his numbers, he told me he floated around cause he was pissed off, but now he has learned from his mistakes and is doing pretty well in the ahl now, hes gettin more ice time and the coach has shown alot of confidence in him, putting him into key situations, and he is benefiting from it, if the blues continue to slide i'm sure you will see sejna again this year in the NHL, if i were the blues i would play him now!!!!!!!!!!!! they need to do something to change some stuff up.

Those are my thoughts

reviews?thoughts?critisicm, greatly apreciated!!!!

Old
02-25-2004, 12:35 AM
CuSa_1

why risk his development to shake things up for the blues? If hope is lost, may as well continue to allow him to get better in the AHL.

Closed Thread