HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The reality of the next half dozen years

Old
05-10-2007, 09:51 PM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
The reality of the next half dozen years

I'm as optimistic and hopeful as most....whether we stay with building from within, shore up our weaknesses with free agents, or manage to pull off some trades that work to our benefit....the next few years should be good ones in Ranger land.
BUT...we should recognize that we are facing a potential absolute monster team in the Pittsburgh Penguins. As good as we can get, we probably won't be able to measure up to what the Pens may become. I can see us getting to the Conference Finals year after year and going home disappointed.
There's no guarantee that the Pens will become the reincarnation of the mid 80s Oilers, but the comparison is certainly justified.
Next years the Pens will likely make a deep run in the playoffs and win their first cup two years from now.
Kind of reminds me of the peak of the Emile Francis years which were also the peak of the Bruins Orr/Esposito tandem, or the good Ranger teams of the early 80s which were always getting eliminated by the Islanders.
The collection of talent on the Pens is downright scary and will be the dominant theme in the NHL for at least the next six years.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 09:57 PM
geisenNYR

I agree that both us and the Pens will probably be the top two teams in the Atlantic, and top contenders in the east. I'm not underestimating the talent of the Islanders and the Flyers who I feel have bright futures, while the Devils are on the decline. The one battle that I think may give the Rangers an edge over the Pens is the goaltending consistency. I don't think that Fleury can be as Good as Lundqvist in a seven game series. The east is definitely on the rise and with our strong farm system I think we will be a contender in the east.

geisenNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:01 PM
TheRedressor

the key is going to be the defense

Staal-Sanguinetti
Tyutin-Girardi
Sauer-Baranka
Liffiton

They are going to need to be able to shut down Crosby, Malkin, Staal etc

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Chimp

Will the future NYR be a copy of NJ Devils? A franchise goaltender and a strong defense, with a team emphazising their play on defense?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post

Staal-Sanguinetti
Tyutin-Girardi
Sauer-Baranka
Liffiton

i REALLY like those combinations in 3-4 years....

but i would put sauer and staal together...can you say shut down d men?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:13 PM
zestystrat

Penn will not be able to hold onto all of that lottery talent. Some will leave as FA's

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:15 PM
TheRedressor

pitt will keep one of the following combos:

1. Crosby/Malkin
2. Crosby/Staal
3. Malkin/Staal

Still a great 1-2 punch either way it goes.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:16 PM
blue425

I would worry, but not too too much. I see the cap playing havoc with all those stars in Pittsburgh. Some of them will have to go.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Will the future NYR be a copy of NJ Devils? A franchise goaltender and a strong defense, with a team emphazising their play on defense?
yes, but more offense, and less boring play.

Old
05-10-2007, 10:28 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
pitt will keep one of the following combos:

1. Crosby/Malkin
2. Crosby/Staal
3. Malkin/Staal

Still a great 1-2 punch either way it goes.
I would think it would be Crosby then either Malkin or Staal. But who knows, maybe Crosby can come to the Rangers when he becomes a UFA in a couple years.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2 View Post
I would think it would be Crosby then either Malkin or Staal. But who knows, maybe Crosby can come to the Rangers when he becomes a UFA in a couple years.
malkin will replace Jagr

Old
05-10-2007, 10:53 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
malkin will replace Jagr
Or Jordan Staal will. Then the Rangers can draft Jared (or Jered, not sure which is right) then score a goal Staal from Staal and Staal. (wishful thinking, I know)

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:02 PM
blue425

Very.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:04 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I berlieve the Staal vs. Crosby battles of coming years will become the stuff of hockey legend.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:

Staal-Sanguinetti
Tyutin-Girardi
Sauer-Baranka
Liffiton

While certainly a nice thought, that has basically zero chance of happening. I think Baranka & Liffiton are long shots to have any kind of career with the NYR.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:46 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
While certainly a nice thought, that has basically zero chance of happening. I think Baranka & Liffiton are long shots to have any kind of career with the NYR.
True, but the reality is we could very likely have 5 home grown guys on D (Staal, Sanguinetti, Tyutin, Girardi and Sauer. That would be very impressive.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 12:57 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Or Jordan Staal will. Then the Rangers can draft Jared (or Jered, not sure which is right) then score a goal Staal from Staal and Staal. (wishful thinking, I know)
WOAH woah woah! Let's not get ahead of ourselves here! Cause you know ERIC Staal will sign as a UFA before Jordan. and then it will be Staal to Staal to Staal to Staal. Of course you're right. It'll only be 3 Staals on the score sheet. Can you imagine the locker room?

Q:"Where did they move my locker?"
A:"Four Staals down"

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 01:24 AM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
WOAH woah woah! Let's not get ahead of ourselves here! Cause you know ERIC Staal will sign as a UFA before Jordan. and then it will be Staal to Staal to Staal to Staal. Of course you're right. It'll only be 3 Staals on the score sheet. Can you imagine the locker room?

Q:"Where did they move my locker?"
A:"Four Staals down"

Lets just get 1 Staal up her already... and I mean the actual player, not a locker

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Interesting tid bit probably limited worth to the words i'm going to type but... In reading a book entitle "The Rookie" about Sidney Crosby's first year in the pro's it gives interesting insight to what the NHL really wanted. Which was Crosby on broadway. He too wants to play in MSG and is quoted as saying something like "The atmosphere is amazing and it's somewhere he would enjoy playing much more".

Not only that but he's predicted to peak right at the time he becomes an FA, i pray for him to come to the Rangers every night, not now but at 25.... That would be domination you have to love the kids ability even if you don't like his attitude at times. But he did matture alot this year as opposed to last.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 01:41 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I have a feeling Malkin is the odd man out if indeed they do cut ties with one of them. That Pitsburgh team isn't really european based..BUT...I welcome Malkin with open arms to play for our Rangers.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 02:01 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

another staal or a malkin to the rangers would make me SOO HAPPY

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 07:50 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
As much as I hate them, even the Flyers are a team to worry about for the future. They sucked last year and yet I don't think I saw them loafing it in a single game..they gave us some hard fights. They don't have the depth of the Penguins in terms of Crosby, Malkin, Staal, ect..but guys like Downey and Giroux if they pan out as well as whoever they take at 2, they won't be down for long.

I think this whole division is on the right track. The Atlantic getting four teams into the playoffs was not a fluke.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 08:30 AM
alkurtz

I think the Rangers have put themselves in a very enviable position in regards to free agents. A recent Hockey News pool among NHL players listed the Rangers and NY as one of the most desirable places to play. I think it has become well known around the league that the Rangers treat their players first class all the way as far as training and medical facilities, travel accomodations, treatment of families, etc. And of course, the incredible crowds at MSG (unless you're the one Dman the crowd picks out to boo consistently....Driver, Poti, Malik...going back aways to Beck, Howell). Even Shanny alluded to it the other day when he said that it used to be that players came to the Rangers for money, now there are many reasons to come.
So...as much as I've been unhappy with Sather and Dolan, I must give them credit for changing the whole culture around the Rangers and making the team attractive. Tacked on to the big stage in NY and you have an unbeatible combination. So, yeah, I have those fantasies about Crosby, Malkin, and the Staals playing in NY. Do you have much doubt that some of them will one day end up here? I don't..its just a matter of time and us remaining competitive.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 09:47 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

2 things will hinder them, their ability to play a quality defensive game and money.
It is nice to have all that offense, but unless they develop 2 quality checking lines and a sold defense it will be all for naught. The pens have always had money problems, so why would the future be any different. The only way that changes is with a sweet heart deal on an arena and maybe new ownership that could retire some of the debt they have.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 09:49 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Well, Crosby is a free agent after next season, Malkin after two seasons from now, Staal two seasons from now, and Fleury after next season too.

Fleury is already on his second contract, but Crosby, Malkin, and Staal are going to have their rookie contracts expire. Meaning big raises. They aren't going to able to pay those 3 that much money, I'll tell you now.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote