HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who will be the new goalie for Toronto?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2004, 05:30 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Who will be the new goalie for Toronto?

Quote:
The Sergei Gonchar trade watch heated up over the weekend, stoked in part by a report in last Friday's New York Daily News claiming the Toronto Maple Leafs not only had interest in the blueliner but might also try to swing a bigger deal with the Washington Capitals.

According to the Daily News, the Leafs may be attempting to swing a blockbuster deal with the Caps that would ship Gonchar, goaltender Olaf Kolzig and defenseman Brendan Witt. The report didn't indicate which players the Leafs were offering up in return.
I can understand the Leafs potential interest in Gonchar, but I don't know if they're willing to part with the players and the cash to bring in those other two.

Gonchar presently makes over $3.6 million, he's a Group II free agent at season's end and has arbitration rights. It's a safe bet he'll seek a raise to at least $5 million per season. Kolzig meanwhile makes $6.25 million and has two more years remaining on his contract worth over $12 million. Witt has the least expensive contract at $1.75 million per season.

I'm guessing the rationale for the Leafs supposedly wanting Kolzig is their concerns over Ed Belfour's ailing back. "Olie the Goalie" comes slightly cheaper than Belfour, he's healthier and could potentially be a replacement for "Eddie the Eagle" if the Leafs opt not to re-sign him at season's end. Witt would also help bolster the Leafs blueline.

However, such a move would mean the Leafs would have to part with youth, and to pull off a deal of that magnitude, the Caps would probably want goalie Mikael Tellqvist, blueline prospect Carlo Colaiacovo, and any one of young forwards like Matt Stajan, Nik Antropov or Alex Ponikarovsky.

It would also mean bloating the Leafs payroll beyond it's current $54.9 million, and with the possibility of the League getting a salary cap in the next collective bargaining agreement, that could mean the Leafs either dumping salaries next year or face paying penalties for going over the cap.

As it stands, the asking price for Gonchar alone is believed steep (a good young roster player, a touted prospect and a high draft pick). Giving up a lot of young talent in a blockbuster deal for those three has the potential to harm the Leafs in the future.
Trade Option 1

Quote:
RW Alexander Mogilny is back in the Maple Leafs' lineup, and that's a plus, but the team's playoff hopes rest on the injured back of G Ed Belfour. A few bad outings recently have shown that G Trevor Kidd is too shaky to trust as the backup. G Mikael Tellqvist is not the answer for that spot in the playoffs, either. If the Leafs can pull G Manny Fernandez from the Wild to be the backup, they should make the deal. If Toronto improves its defense, as the Leafs are expected to do, the goaltender may not be tested as much. Acquiring D Sergei Gonchar from the Capitals, as has been rumored, would do more for the Maple Leafs' offense and power play than their defense. .
Trade Option 2

Be forwarned though trade option 2 is by Kara Yorio

Old
02-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Savage

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Simply put the Leafs will not go after a goalie because they don't need one!

Mikeal Tellqvist has proven he can handle the load well Belfour is out which isn't going to be for much longer. Tellqvist has now not lost a game in any of the 7 games he's played this season and has won 5 of them.

The fact of the matter is this, there's no goalies that can carry the Leafs out there on the block like a Belfour. Even if there was he wouldn't come cheap thus eliminating any interest they have because any resources they have will go to getting the defencemen they need.

Old
02-23-2004, 05:44 PM
jincargo

It states in the Article that the Caps would want Mikael Tellqvist in return....that I highly doubt with Ouellet and Stana currently ready for NHL duty and Daigneault and Gershon in the system.

Soooooo...just drop him off and send the rest!!! Colaiacovo, Stajan, Antropov and Ponikarovsky for Gonchar, Witt and Kolzig!

Old
02-23-2004, 05:44 PM
caber24

Option 1 will never ever happen and I don't even see an Option 2 that involves players names..

Old
02-23-2004, 05:46 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Well it's in the prelim stages probably, seeing if Fernandez would go to Toronto

Old
02-23-2004, 05:49 PM
caber24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Well it's in the prelim stages probably, seeing if Fernandez would go to Toronto
i would be far more interested in that as opposed to option 1.

Old
02-23-2004, 05:50 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
I would be too, still want Bombardir + Fernandez for Bell oh yeah a third and fourth pick were in there, I think third was Minnesota and fourth was Toronto, maybe the other way around?

Old
02-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Kugel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Trade Option 1

Trade Option 2

Be forwarned though trade option 2 is by Kara Yorio
i dont like either trades......i dont know why the leafs didnt go for bobby boughner or someone like him.....i dont think we need gonchar......also kara yario doesnt know anything about hockey, and for sure she doesnt get any scoops, i read the sporting news and its just horrible.

Old
02-23-2004, 07:39 PM
Peter Griffin

If the Leafs were to go after a goalie, I think they would have more interest in Kolzig. Yes he has another two years on his contract, but who knows if Belfour will be around next year? If there is any form a lockout, he could very well retire, Kolzig would be a decent replacement. In any case, I don't think the Leafs will make a trade for a goalie.

Old
02-24-2004, 10:57 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Unless Belfour gets himself knocked out for the rest of the year, I don't see the Leafs getting a goaltender at the moment. However, once Belfour announces his retirement, they'll be searching for someone. I don't see Tellqvist as the guy who can save their bacon as much as the guy who can hold the fort while the #1 is healing.

Old
02-25-2004, 08:37 AM
hockeyhomer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Unless Belfour gets himself knocked out for the rest of the year, I don't see the Leafs getting a goaltender at the moment. However, once Belfour announces his retirement, they'll be searching for someone. I don't see Tellqvist as the guy who can save their bacon as much as the guy who can hold the fort while the #1 is healing.
Hell keep him drunk and in a bar fight with his gal and keep feeding him Sudafed by the bottle and he'll bring you a cup.... Did here!!!!

Closed Thread