HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are your expections....

Old
05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
CuSa_1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
The main sale to FA's this year will be our play under Murray(20-10-5 from when Murray took over until the TD). We can also sell him on our Defense(easily a top 5 group) and/or tell him that he'd be put on a line with one of the games "up and coming Stars" in Lee Stempniak. There's also the personal angle in McKee and Weight and the "Team USA" angle in Stempy, Backes and EJ(who will very likely be on the next USA Olympic team with Drury).
With what we know about JD, I'm thinking he could paint a nice little picture about the ONE person we need to be a true cup contender.

I'm in no way implying we should be the TOP choice for him, just that we're not in as bad shape as you might think when you see we're picking 9th.

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Racki View Post
Frenzy, I understand your point, but neither of those guys solves the problem on the powerplay...it is brutal, and must be improved by 15% if the Blues want to make the playoffs...so, I like what you are saying, but I don't think it will be enough.
I think the biggest issue of the PP is not the forwards but the blue line. You want to improve the PP, you have to have a QB and big shot from the point. We have not had this since Big Al and CP. That is why the PP has stunk for the past two seasons.
A guy like Sheldon Souray would add just as much if not more to the PP then one the big 3. And no, I would not want to add Sheldon, but IMO that is the biggest weakness on the PP.

How much are you willing to spend on Drury? I just dont see him coming to St. Louis. And if he doesn't come, I think the Blues still need to be active in the UFA market.

I understand the arguement about Zus and the prospects in the system but there are two issues - 1. we have no idea of how Soderberg will recover from the eye injury. 2. We have 4 contracts coming off the books after next seaseon (Weight, MR, Hinote, Drake). I think Cajanek has 1 year left beyond that. We have plenty of room to add the two kids who will be ready in Berglund and Oshie.

If we need to we can move one of the Centers to wing.

If we were to trade Backman for picks and prospects, it wouldn't help us make the playoffs this year. Which is something the mgt needs to get done to get the casual fan back into the seats.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 09:43 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Frenzy you are right about us not having certainty on any individual prospect (you mentioned Soderberg) but I still maintain that with the volume of prospects we have in Peoria, Europe and McClement-types we have already on the team, there just isn't much worry in the aggregate about the bottom spectrum of that top-9 forward group. Remember, there's Stastny, Birner, Drazenovic, Soderberg and Oshie, with Oshie projected as the best of that group All these guys (except maybe Drazenovic) project at 12-24 months away from arrival if they are going to arrive. Kana is not long behind that. McClement, Backes, Stempniak, Boyes are already established.

I mistakenly said "2d/3d line center" when I should have expanded it to 2d/3d line player generally, since you are correct that we can move players to wing. [And to further clarify, I'd like to see a mingling of what is traditionally called 1st, 2d, 3d line talent throughout the top 3 lines so every line is offensively dangerous, is defensively responsible and has power, aggressiveness and speed.]

So, even if Soderberg is delayed a little longer, he would still need to have room well before a 30-year old's UFA deal was up, and Handzus would be one more (solid, good) player in that bunch. Frankly, if you are worried about RFA jealousy, giving 4M a year to a 2d line forward is more corrosive to the payscale IMO than giving 7.5M a year to an All-Star stud. Management can say to the good players that hey, there is premium on greatness if you want to compete in the free agent bidding market. But it's harder justifying offering Stempniak 2.5M if Handzus is making 4M.

By contrast, Berglund and Oshie are the only guys right now who project as possible perennial All-Star guys, but that is only if they both maximize their potential. Plus, they are a ways away. Drury is a perennial playoff All-Star, and Gomez had a strong year this year in the postseason - those are the elite kind of performances this team doesn't have on the roster or in the pipeline. Handzus is good but he's not that level.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 06:58 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Frenzy you are right about us not having certainty on any individual prospect (you mentioned Soderberg) but I still maintain that with the volume of prospects we have in Peoria, Europe and McClement-types we have already on the team, there just isn't much worry in the aggregate about the bottom spectrum of that top-9 forward group. Remember, there's Stastny, Birner, Drazenovic, Soderberg and Oshie, with Oshie projected as the best of that group All these guys (except maybe Drazenovic) project at 12-24 months away from arrival if they are going to arrive. Kana is not long behind that. McClement, Backes, Stempniak, Boyes are already established.

I mistakenly said "2d/3d line center" when I should have expanded it to 2d/3d line player generally, since you are correct that we can move players to wing. [And to further clarify, I'd like to see a mingling of what is traditionally called 1st, 2d, 3d line talent throughout the top 3 lines so every line is offensively dangerous, is defensively responsible and has power, aggressiveness and speed.]

So, even if Soderberg is delayed a little longer, he would still need to have room well before a 30-year old's UFA deal was up, and Handzus would be one more (solid, good) player in that bunch. Frankly, if you are worried about RFA jealousy, giving 4M a year to a 2d line forward is more corrosive to the payscale IMO than giving 7.5M a year to an All-Star stud. Management can say to the good players that hey, there is premium on greatness if you want to compete in the free agent bidding market. But it's harder justifying offering Stempniak 2.5M if Handzus is making 4M.

By contrast, Berglund and Oshie are the only guys right now who project as possible perennial All-Star guys, but that is only if they both maximize their potential. Plus, they are a ways away. Drury is a perennial playoff All-Star, and Gomez had a strong year this year in the postseason - those are the elite kind of performances this team doesn't have on the roster or in the pipeline. Handzus is good but he's not that level.
I think we both agree on having multiple solid forward lines, but just not on how it should be done. But a good debate none the less.

Who would you rather the team sign, say to a 6 million contract? Gomez, Drury, or Briere?

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 10:45 AM
blueshead

Expectations or hopes???

Hopes...

..Sign Drury, Gomez, Briere - I would say pretty unlikely

Expectations w/ a dash of hope

..Trade Backman for a top 5 pick and somehow land Cheperanov without giving up our #9
..Draft Espo at #9
..Sign Comrie
..Sign either Handzus or Tkachuk

blueshead is offline   Reply With Quote