HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues deal draftpicks

Old
05-10-2007, 08:03 AM
sniper96

vCash: 500
Blues deal draftpicks

hi folks,
pls I need some help: 1997, 2001 and 2002 the st. louis blues did not have a first round pick. they did trade it away ahead of the draft day. but who did they get for the picks? what deals did they make? thanx!

sniper96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Crap ... thought I had posted this elsewhere.

1997 - traded to Los Angeles in the deal that brought in Wayne Gretzky.
2001 - awarded to New Jersey as a result of a January 4, 1999 ruling by the NHL after it was proven that the Blues had tampered with Scott Stevens in 1994 before the official free agency period started.
2002 - traded to Phoenix in the deal that brought in Keith Tkachuk.

And for completeness ...
1991-1995: awarded to Washington as compensation for signing Scott Stevens as a restricted free agent
2003 - New Jersey elected to swap places in the 1st round with the Blues as a result of the January 4, 1999 ruling.

05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Carl Racki

Send a message via AIM to Carl Racki
jesucristo I would love to hit Lou Lamoriello in the head with a ball-bat every time I see that crap...Shanahan and Stevens would have both retired as Blues if that tea-baggin turd had not caused so many problems...

Carl Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Racki View Post
jesucristo I would love to hit Lou Lamoriello in the head with a ball-bat every time I see that crap...Shanahan and Stevens would have both retired as Blues if that tea-baggin turd had not caused so many problems...
According to Judge Houston, had we offered Vince Riendeau instead of Curtis Joseph we would have retained both guys.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
According to Judge Houston, had we offered Vince Riendeau instead of Curtis Joseph we would have retained both guys.
...and if you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to interest you in.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
...and if you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to interest you in.

P_B

Nah ... I've had enough of the Northeast, I think I'll retreat back to the Midwest shortly.

Old
05-10-2007, 02:04 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Crap ... thought I had posted this elsewhere.

1997 - traded to Los Angeles in the deal that brought in Wayne Gretzky.
2001 - awarded to New Jersey as a result of a January 4, 1999 ruling by the NHL after it was proven that the Blues had tampered with Scott Stevens in 1994 before the official free agency period started.
2002 - traded to Phoenix in the deal that brought in Keith Tkachuk.

And for completeness ...
1991-1995: awarded to Washington as compensation for signing Scott Stevens as a restricted free agent
2003 - New Jersey elected to swap places in the 1st round with the Blues as a result of the January 4, 1999 ruling.
is there a list somewhere of who was picked in those positions that we lost?

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
I recall looking that up a few years ago, and not being too disappointed about the losses. Granted, the Blues probably wouldn't have picked the same guys that the Caps and Devils ultimately did....but drafting never was a strong-suit of the organization anyway. Most of those Washington picks never materialized for them.

Nothing would have pissed me off more that seeing a bunch of all-stars drafted with those picks...but those picks ultimately turned into a bunch of never-were's, IIRC.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
Gosh, you're asking for everything, aren't you?

1991: #21 - Trevor Halverson. (No, no one else remember him either.)
1992: #14 - Sergei Gonchar
1993: #11 - Brendan Witt
1994: #15 - Alexander Kharmalov.
1995: #23 - Miika Elomo (actually played 2 NHL games!)
1997: #15 - Matt Zultek (would go unsigned and re-enter the draft, to get taken by Boston at #56 in 1999; still never played in the NHL)
2001: #24 (traded to Florida) - Lukas Krajicek
2002: #23 - Ben Eager
2003: #22 (traded to Edmonton) - Marc-Andre Pouliot; New Jersey traded up to 17 to get Zach Parise.

Old
05-10-2007, 06:00 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

still. not some entirely bad names in there.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Robb_K

The Blues could have used Gonchar. Even Witt was a decent choice. But, at that time, The Blues weren't drafting very well. They may have also drafted several players who never would be solid NHLers. But out of all those first rounders, they should have had at least two solid players (as Washington did), if not three.

In any case, I would have put more money into scouting, and tried to build from within, rather than give up FIVE 1st rounders for an RFA! I wouldn't give up THAT MANY 1sts, even for a 27 year-old Gretzky or even Bobby Orr (well, maybe Bobby Orr (if his knees were okay).

With five 1st rounders and decent scouting, you can be well on the way to building a powerhouse team. True, they can't ALL be superstars, but ONE of the five should be a very, very good player (if you have excellent scouting), one more should be a very good player, and the others should be long career serviceable NHLers. Also, when you get the players from the start of their careers, they will generally provide better production vs. cost. That's especially important now, with the salary cap. It's almost completely irrational to sign away a major star as an RFA nowadays.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 09:43 PM
BigTeddyPaul

vCash: 872
You might not have wanted to give up 5 1sts for Stevens BUT I dare you to tell me that the Devils would have won their championships without him. The Cup is the prize not a pick.

If I remember correctly only Carolina with Federov and us with Stevens have actually tendered offers. For some reason Sakic creeps in my head but whatever. Both players went on to win cups and I do not blame either team.

Out of all the tampering consequences the one that allowed NJ to switch 1sts with us when they got Parise (granted the had to trade up) left the nastiest taste in my mouth. The only thing that made it bearable was the fact that NJ no longer asked if we preferred to bend over or get on our knees.

BigTeddyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 06:13 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTeddyPaul View Post
You might not have wanted to give up 5 1sts for Stevens BUT I dare you to tell me that the Devils would have won their championships without him. The Cup is the prize not a pick.

If I remember correctly only Carolina with Federov and us with Stevens have actually tendered offers. For some reason Sakic creeps in my head but whatever. Both players went on to win cups and I do not blame either team.

Out of all the tampering consequences the one that allowed NJ to switch 1sts with us when they got Parise (granted the had to trade up) left the nastiest taste in my mouth. The only thing that made it bearable was the fact that NJ no longer asked if we preferred to bend over or get on our knees.

Sakic was tendered an offer from NY that Colorado matched.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 01:22 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
LA Kings are the "kings" of getting shot in the foot with bad trades. Ray Bourque and Rod Schutt to name two--there is a long list of picks traded in the 70's and 80's by the kings that went onto greatness.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote