HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

In NY, during game 5...

Old
05-09-2007, 03:13 PM
mrhockey193195

vCash: 500
In NY, during game 5...

Was I imagining things, or did they show a shot of NYC during the MSG broadcast during game 5 in Buffalo (Friday, May 4) with the Empire State Building draped in a large ranger banner?

I saw in on TV (at least, I think I did. These past few weeks have been so crazy, I wouldn't put it past me to have started hallucinating), and I thought it was the coolest thing. But I'm looking for pictures online, and can't find them anywhere. For all I know, it might have been a CGI image.

I wasn't in the city that day, so I never look at the ESB with my own eyes.

Was I just imagining it, or did this actually happen? And if so, does anyone have any pictures?

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 03:49 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I saw that... it was computer generated.

I live in NJ where i can see the empire state building and i think i'd notice it if had a Rangers Jersey on.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 04:23 PM
mrhockey193195

Lol, ok thanks.

I guess I got my hopes up that hockey could take such a massive stage in NYC.

Old
05-09-2007, 05:19 PM
blue2noise

Funny you mentioned that. I found an online webcam of th ESB and there was no jersey to be found.

That would have been sweet. Although the windows would be covered for like 40 floors

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 05:31 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Funny you mentioned that. I found an online webcam of th ESB and there was no jersey to be found.

That would have been sweet. Although the windows would be covered for like 40 floors
I found one too (must've been the same webcam) and was terribly confused when I saw no banner.

Lol, true on the windows. But I thought that maybe it was ok for them to do it b/c it was a Friday night, so fewer people would be there to complain

Old
05-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Balej20*

There were Ranger jersey's drapped all over statues and such all over NYC though.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 01:11 AM
mucker*

I'm curious, now that the playoffs for NY have concluded, how did the city deal with the sucess?

Did the Rangers again go under the microscope and treated like Caps would be in DC OR did the Rangers garner substanial gains in fans, media coverage, and generate citywide interest far reaching?

In other words did this help bring hockey back, was the treatment the Rangers got on par with what PHI would get for hockey in the playoffs or BOS, our chief counter towns?

The way I see it, baseball is 1st in NY, football in PHI, and baseball 1st in BOS, you won't overtake them with hockey, but if we got similar support citywide and regional, that's cool.
Just as long as we weren't niched or bandwagoned like they do in the sunbelt.

BTW...for the showings at MSG, did they have a lot of people come.
Do you think if we made it to the 3rd round it's be similar to crowd outside HSBC tonight?
Thanks.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 08:10 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by iglooed View Post
I'm curious, now that the playoffs for NY have concluded, how did the city deal with the sucess?

Did the Rangers again go under the microscope and treated like Caps would be in DC OR did the Rangers garner substanial gains in fans, media coverage, and generate citywide interest far reaching?

In other words did this help bring hockey back, was the treatment the Rangers got on par with what PHI would get for hockey in the playoffs or BOS, our chief counter towns?

The way I see it, baseball is 1st in NY, football in PHI, and baseball 1st in BOS, you won't overtake them with hockey, but if we got similar support citywide and regional, that's cool.

Do you think if we made it to the 3rd round it's be similar to crowd outside HSBC tonight?
Thanks.

Yeah there was a good showing at the garden. Everyone, and everything, was kept to one half so it made it seem nice and full. Alot like being at a game really, except different, not as loud I guess too. I came out from LI, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, even if I had to pay the 10.00 next time.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 08:14 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by iglooed View Post

Thanks.

Yeah there was a good showing at the garden. Everyone, and everything, was kept to one half so it made it seem nice and full. Alot like being at a game really, except different, not as loud I guess too. The team not being on the ice, and the size of the crowd were really the only differences. I came out from LI, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, even if I had to pay the 10.00 next time.

Hockey in NY, is hockey in NY. Casual fans don't really care unless the teams are doing well. I'm sure if the Rangers begin to be consistant contenders, then that will change. Until the cycle repeats anyway. It's certainly no Detroit/Montreal/Toronto culture, if that's what your asking, but it was good to hear people talking about the team for awhile. We even got a few back covers in the paper

Old
05-11-2007, 02:39 PM
mucker*

I'm not comparing us to DET/BUF or Canada, and those two US cities are border Canada towns.
I'm comparing us to most US towns and in particular, PHI, and BOS, two Northeastern hockey areas.
Do we compare as well or better?

I was discouraged that our playoff ratings were so low, why were they and how can we be a big NHL town if they are that way?

BOS in 04 had ratings near 10, yet ours was 2.2. and outdone by the Nets.

It's confusing, are we a big NHL city a notch below BOS and PHI NE towns, are we the number 5 team at least more popular than the Nets and close to the Knicks?
Thanks.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 04:37 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Who cares about ratings and what casual fans think and crap like that? I know I don't.

All I care about is that this team created a buzz for the first time in a decade and I will never forget it.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 05:06 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Who cares about ratings and what casual fans think and crap like that? I know I don't.

All I care about is that this team created a buzz for the first time in a decade and I will never forget it.
Of course, your 100%, I'm just saying it was nice to say, "I'm going to the garden tonight" and people assumed it was the Ranger game for once.

Old
05-11-2007, 05:10 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Of course, your 100%, I'm just saying it was nice to say, "I'm going to the garden tonight" and people assumed it was the Ranger game for once.
I completely and whole-heartedly agree with you and it was so great to see all kinds of people all over the city getting into this team..I was on 2 of the bus trips and I can say first hand it was great.

My gripe is directed at the people always trying to compare the Rangers to somebody...trying to compare them to the Knicks or Yankees or Mets or whatever...and trying to compare New York as a hockey city to Detroit or a Canadian city or Philly or Boston or whatever. There's no use. New York is New York.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote