HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

It's up to Bob says Boivin

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2004, 11:32 PM
Guy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Strange, isn't that the prez complaints about lack of help from govmt's and then adds that the owner is ready to shell out more cash for players...

Show me the books! That's all I have to say about that.
I believe later on that day, whilst doing another interview, Boivin stated quite clearly that if the Habs made it to the third round of the playoffs, they would be making money. That tells me two things:

1. That the Habs stand to lose at least $6 million. Boivin indicated that each home game for the Habs netted a shade over a million bucks. With a minimum of two games per round, you get the six.

2. That a rental player (which you don't have to pay for much) or two, if managing to get us to the third round, would not be fiscally irresponsible, quite the opposite.

The key here is that Gainey is committed to the youth run, so any trade made has to take that as prime consideration. The idea here isn't to make the playoffs and make money at the expense of the future, but to make the playoffs, make money, and still have that bright future to look towards. Acquiring a couple of rental players, or on the other hand shifting assets to improve the core of the team to improve both this years outlook as well as that of the future, are both within the realm of the possible, *and* of the responsible.

It's a well-known business fact that you have to spend money to make money. The most important point to consider is that the Habs will want to divest themselves of a pile of salary after the season comes to a close. We already have a few higher priced salaries ending this year, and adding a couple of rentals surely won't affect the bottom line for any length of time. Changing the core of the team is another thing entirely, though, so I can't comment to that (nor can anyone up until the day it happens, should that be Gainey's choice).

It's a reality that in today's NHL not only do you have to understand and evaluate players, but you must be something of a speculator and have an intimate knowledge of the financial aspect of the game.

ACF

Old
02-25-2004, 08:12 AM
romain_jaime

I would not be surprised if BG traded young talent for young talent to get bigger. This would solve the catch 22 of not having size but not wanting to trade away the youth movement.

The key factor here is if the Canadiens scouts have been watching the other AHL games/players closely.

Old
02-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Darz

The biggest thing I tke awy from the article is this:

it is pointed out that if the habs made the third round of the playoffs the habs would break even at an estimated $1M per playoff game, which is basically saying if we DON'T make the playoffs we would lose approximately $7M-$8M this year. The habs tax bill is $8.2M, which means if we didn't pay ANY tax we could make a small profit even if we didn't make the playoffs.
Now we all know we ain't get the taxes reduced to nothing but if we could get them lets say cut down to $3M-$4M a year, I think we could be looking at a more resonable bottom line.
Hopefully we will see things fall into line financially within the next year or so, and all us fans can go back to the way it was not too long ago..in the dark about the financial runnings of an NHL team.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:01 AM
Jacques Strappe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruen
What did O'neil say about the world cup, I know he said something negative I just never found out what exactly he said... i've done abit of searching but came up dry
I believe I saw on HNIC that he said something along the lines of:
"The Team Canada Executives can just tear up my phone number and throw it away."
Meaning that no way in hell is he playing for Team Canada.
What I don't know is who said they were interested in him anyway? Just off the top of my head, I can think of a half dozen right wingers I'd take ahead of him:
Martin St. Louis, Bertuzzi, Iginla, Murray, Ryder, Nolan, Hunter....and the list goes on...

Old
02-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
I believe I saw on HNIC that he said something along the lines of:
"The Team Canada Executives can just tear up my phone number and throw it away."
Meaning that no way in hell is he playing for Team Canada.
What I don't know is who said they were interested in him anyway? Just off the top of my head, I can think of a half dozen right wingers I'd take ahead of him:
Martin St. Louis, Bertuzzi, Iginla, Murray, Ryder, Nolan, Hunter....and the list goes on...
From what I read he was peeved that Team Canada isn't even considering him for the World Cup, so he said they better not even think about calling him for the World Championships this summer.

Old
02-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Jacques Strappe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
From what I read he was peeved that Team Canada isn't even considering him for the World Cup, so he said they better not even think about calling him for the World Championships this summer.
That makes more sense.

Closed Thread