HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The return of Irbe?

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2004, 09:13 PM
Skydog

vCash: 500
The return of Irbe?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=72568&hubName=

Perhaps those trade rumors are ture.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:56 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 560
Just heard on Talk 640 (Toronto) Leafs Talk Irbe has been recalled. He may even see game action on Thursday.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Plan 9

Never thought I would see the day.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:12 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
No idea as to why the Canes would recall Irbe. Storr hasn't exactly been that great as a backup this year, but Irbe was equally craptacular last year and was a cancer in the locker room from all that I've heard. It will be interesting to see what happens now.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
S-H-O-W-C-A-S-E

Come on, everybody! Say it all together!

Anyways, it looks as if Carolina is going to be draft pick collectors this season.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:22 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I'd be willing to take a 6th for Irbe at this point.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:25 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUCanesFan
I'd be willing to take a 6th for Irbe at this point.
if whoever takes his salary....hell yes!

Old
02-18-2004, 07:40 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
if whoever takes his salary....hell yes!
Exactly, I can't think of an offer that the 'canes wouldn't take. If this is not a showcase for a trade, they are taking the team out in the backyard and shooting it.

Old
02-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Les Ouragans

Primary purpose certainly has to be to showcase and see if his market value can increase to the point where a deal is possible. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say I'd do any deal at this point. Maybe, just maybe, competitor that he is, he'll come back and shine a little. Making a reasonable deal a possibility. At this point I'd like to see him get a shot somewhere. I chalk a lot of last year up to a couple of proud people (Rutherford, Irbe) unwilling to back down and saying some things that in retrospect they would have kept to themselves.

Secondary purpose is probably for attendance boost, he is still extremely popular here and if he plays it will have an impact on attendance. it has already created quite a buzz in Carolina. Even people who don't know a two-line pass know who Irbe is.

Old
02-18-2004, 09:45 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneflyer
Secondary purpose is probably for attendance boost, he is still extremely popular here and if he plays it will have an impact on attendance. it has already created quite a buzz in Carolina. Even people who don't know a two-line pass know who Irbe is.
I hope you are right, but if he goes out and coughs up 3 or 4 goals, that will only last for one game. Even if he does play well, I am not sure this is a good idea. As bad as this team has been this year, they seem to have pretty good chemistry, and I would hate to see that jeopardized. If he isn't traded, and stays in Raleigh, does he contend for the starting job? Would he be willing to be a back up? I am curious to see how other Hurricane's fans feel about this.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:05 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
It's about time. Even if he's traded, it's just good to see him on the roster. Maybe the team's fortunes change just being in the locker room with the guys.

I just watched some old tape of a game against Toronto a couple of years ago with him in the net. Got nostalgic about it; it's just great seeing him again.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Skydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
I hope you are right, but if he goes out and coughs up 3 or 4 goals, that will only last for one game. Even if he does play well, I am not sure this is a good idea. As bad as this team has been this year, they seem to have pretty good chemistry, and I would hate to see that jeopardized. If he isn't traded, and stays in Raleigh, does he contend for the starting job? Would he be willing to be a back up? I am curious to see how other Hurricane's fans feel about this.

Well it was brought up on another message board but if Irbe was in the minors during a work stoppage then the Canes would have to pay his salary but if he is with the big club then they don't. I imagine this move is purely for financial/trade purposes and not to have Irbe as the starting goaltender. Last year Irbe played about as good as Storr has this year, so no I don't think he can contend for the starting job.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Les Ouragans

It will be asking a lot for him to step in and face NHL shots for the first time in a year and be stellar. If we are showcasing, it may take a few games. Then again, you never know with Archie.

Interesting point about the salary payment duing a stoppage. That could be a factor.

I don't know that I see him contending for a starting goalie spot, if he looks like he can cut it, then I expect a deal will be struck. If he does play well and the Canes consider him in the mix again, we'd be back in the Catch-22 from October 2002 that sent us down this road. While I'm not sure the Irbe was handled well coming into the 2002 season, I don't want to go back to the goalie controversy days.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

That is great both for Irbe and Latvia.

Old
02-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Les Ouragans

So I now pose two questions for the Canes faithful (one of which I posed in the other Irbe thread).

If he comes back and plays fairly well, and we get a team willing to do a deal, how much of that contract do we eat. What is our willingness to pay? One million to get rid of 2.5?

Is there any scenario at all where he comes back, plays well and gets back into our mix in goal?

Old
02-18-2004, 09:18 PM
WoodGundy

Quote:
So I now pose two questions for the Canes faithful (one of which I posed in the other Irbe thread).

If he comes back and plays fairly well, and we get a team willing to do a deal, how much of that contract do we eat. What is our willingness to pay? One million to get rid of 2.5?

Is there any scenario at all where he comes back, plays well and gets back into our mix in goal?
1. I would say the amount we eat is inversely proportionate to the return in the trade. I would give him away to clear his salary off the books and I would pay $2m of the $2.5m we owe anyway if a decent pick was coming the other way.

2. This is Weekes team. I don't know how we could have asked more of him this year.

Old
02-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Les Ouragans

Fair enough. If we got a decent pick out of it, I might be willing to go 1.5 million or 2 million, but it would have to be something with some value. I don't know what the market would bear for Irbe now.

I also tend to think the answer to #2 is no - unless it is Weekes that is being shopped (some speculation to that effect).

I think Weekes has had a pretty fair year. When I looked last week he was 19th in the league in save percentage and 26th in GAA (maybe thats backwards). Not incredible but not bad.

It must be hell to play goal on a team that can't score - where every shot could be the difference between a win or loss. Too much pressure for anything less than a top notch netminder. That has to get inside your head after a while.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:00 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

1. Like someone else has posted, I think they would be foolish not to eat most of his salary if anything comes back. Gven that the other choice would be to continue to pay him the full amount and keep him. Get rid of all the salary they can, 2 million is better than 2.5.

2. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a locker room cancer, but Irbe did burn a lot of brigdes during his last stint with the big club. I hope he can be traded and I really do hope he finds a place somewhere, just not with the Hurricanes.

Last edited by The Kitner Boy: 02-19-2004 at 07:46 AM.
Old
02-19-2004, 12:03 AM
bleedgreen

1. i would pay as much as 1.5 to move him-i dont care what we get back. one million of his salary could be a free agent depth d-man next year.
2. weekes' job is as safe as can be. we have all lamented the lack of quality backup goaltending, not that irbe did it last year.....he has to be better than storr.

Old
02-24-2004, 05:42 PM
ToothlessAggression

I've been a huge fan of Irbe's for about ten years now, I am as happy as anybody to see him back.

He has never been a good backup, he is one of those guys who needs to play a lot or he struggles. He also is usually a pretty slow starter, he got off to a bad start last season so they gave Weekes more time. As a former goalie, I know how hard it is when your confidence is shot, the only way to get it back is to play, and in Irbe's case play a lot. However there were a lot of expectations put on the 'canes last year seeing as were coming off they're huge playoff run, they just could not afford to wait for Irbe and he got fed up with it.

I saw an interview with Brind'Amour today, he said most of the team did not really know much about the situation and that there were no problems with Irbe in the dressing room.

Old
02-25-2004, 08:51 AM
jeffbear

FWIW, Irbe is likely to make his 03-04 NHL debut tonight against Washington.

Old
02-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Les Ouragans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergize
I've been a huge fan of Irbe's for about ten years now, I am as happy as anybody to see him back.

He has never been a good backup, he is one of those guys who needs to play a lot or he struggles. He also is usually a pretty slow starter, he got off to a bad start last season so they gave Weekes more time. As a former goalie, I know how hard it is when your confidence is shot, the only way to get it back is to play, and in Irbe's case play a lot. However there were a lot of expectations put on the 'canes last year seeing as were coming off they're huge playoff run, they just could not afford to wait for Irbe and he got fed up with it.

I saw an interview with Brind'Amour today, he said most of the team did not really know much about the situation and that there were no problems with Irbe in the dressing room.
I completely agree. Our management unwittingly set up a problem last year by the way they treated the goalie situation during the 2003 offseason. Irbe does need a lot of play to do well and he starts slow. Everyone knew that, but if you look back now at what transpired between the loss to Detroit in the Cup finals and the "play me or trade me" complaint, the storm clouds are easy to detect in hindsight.

1. Irbe and Weekes both play well in Carolina's Cup run, but it is Irbe who closes the deal against TO and he goes in the Detroit series. After the celebration et al and the Irbe bobbleheads et al, he must go into the offseason feeling pretty good about himself and his role, he signs a new three-year deal

...but then...

2. Rutherford and Maurice (to lesser degree) start making "Weekes is the goalie of the future for us" statements over the summer and into preseason, and refuse to name either as the definite starter. I clearly remember this, though I didn't think much about the impact it might have on Irbe. The thunder is now rumbling - Weekes isn't sure where he stands but is getting lots of support, Irbe is getting PO'd that he's not getting the respect he thinks he's due after the playoff run.

and then...

3. Irbe plays poorly in game one of the 02-03 season and Weekes gets the start in game two of the season. Clearly Irbe feels he has no margin for error after this, plus the continuing "Weekes is the goalie of the future" comments from management.

We all know what happened from there. I personally think management thought that the creative tension between the two guys would create a scenario where they would each push a little harder - but it had a very different result.

I have also never heard any player talk about any issues with Irbe in the locker room. I think they appreciated him, but to a forward/d-man he is a temperamental goalie. A different breed - like any teams forwards/d-men treat those pipe dwellers.

Well, gee, what NHL players isnt familiar dealing with one of those??? Again, if you go back and listen to what was said after things got bad late in 2003, it was management cultivating that implication of Irbe being a problem in the locker room. The other guys were professionals, a player complaining about ice time was nothing unusual to them - I think Irbe's complaints, while unfortunate and ill-timed, actually had little bearing on how the team played. Other factors were at work

Closed Thread