HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

another Poile playoff?

Old
04-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
The magic number is seven: In 24 years of continuous employment as a NHL GM, Poile's teams have won seven playoff series total, including the one and only time one of his teams won a second round series.

He assembles good teams, but for whatever reason, they rarely win in the playoffs. Over a quarter century... well, that's a trend.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 08:58 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It was really painful watching Nashville. They reminded me of the Caps of the 80's and 90's. Good, skilled team, who can't score when they need to most. Really was tough to watch them go through that, because you can't really do anything that all of the sudden makes the puck start going in.

I don't get the argument about the playoff format. That's just another excuse for a poor performance in my book. Nashville didn't win their division so they get a lower seed, simple enough.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 10:45 AM
BTCG

To C Dogs:

SJ over Nashville?????

It's gotta be the coaching!

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
I don't get the argument about the playoff format. That's just another excuse for a poor performance in my book. Nashville didn't win their division so they get a lower seed, simple enough.
i wasn't trying to make an excuse for Nashville, i just think it sucks that the best teams in the west meet in the first rd of the playoffs. combine that with the fact I love the divisional playoff system (as that is how real rivalries were made) and you have to reason why I brought it up.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 11:17 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
i wasn't trying to make an excuse for Nashville, i just think it sucks that the best teams in the west meet in the first rd of the playoffs. combine that with the fact I love the divisional playoff system (as that is how real rivalries were made) and you have to reason why I brought it up.
IMO...the only team Nashville could have beaten was the Wild.

As to the seeding, it's not only not the same every year, but it hardly matters. Didn't the top 3 western teams all win their series? Looks like the person who designed the format got it right this year.

And in truth: If your team is to proceed, it'll have to beat either the higher seeds, or those teams that beat the higher seeds anyway. No way around this.

From memory, I think Detroit was 6-2 against the Preds this year. We were all hoping to meet them in the playoffs.

Old
04-24-2007, 11:26 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Anaheim/San Jose/Detroit are all strong. I would think the ducks could handle Vancouver. San Jose and Detroit will be a good series. Not sure what the head to head record this was this season.

I agree with BTCG that Nashville would have likely only been able to beat the Wild.

04-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Looks like the person who designed the format got it right this year.
Yea, Atlanta did really well

And nevermind the fact that the time NHL rivalries started to die was when they switched from divisional playoff system. However I assume you think this idea that playing teams 8 times a year is good too. But this is all a discussion for another time.

back on topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Anaheim/San Jose/Detroit are all strong. I would think the ducks could handle Vancouver. San Jose and Detroit will be a good series. Not sure what the head to head record this was this season.

I agree with BTCG that Nashville would have likely only been able to beat the Wild.
I disagree, I think Nashville and San Jose are both better teams than Vancouver, Minnesota, Calgary and Dallas. And right there with both Detroit and Anaheim.

Last edited by Jasper17: 04-24-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old
04-24-2007, 11:39 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

The Wild actually played pretty decent against the Ducks. Anaheim is just a steam roller. Not 100% sure if the Preds could have even beaten the Wild in 7. It would have been close.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 09:04 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Yea, Atlanta did really well

Wow Jasper...when did Atlanta move to the West?

Old
04-25-2007, 09:47 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I think it was prior to the 1981 season.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Does the east not use the same system as the west?

Last time I checked they used the same system, so what does playing in the east or west have to do with anything?

Or maybe I just didn't understand what you were trying to say when you wrote...

"Didn't the top 3 western teams all win their series? Looks like the person who designed the format got it right this year."

What exactly was the point you were trying to make there? Because to me it sounded like you were trying to use the fact that that all the top seeds won as proof that the current seeding system is fair and good. So I will ask again, how did Atlanta do? Or do you just want to continue to pretend they don't use the same system in the east?

Last edited by Jasper17: 04-25-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old
04-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

i don't really blame NSH D or lack of size.

SJS are one of the biggest teams in the league, and thornon and patti are a load to handle nigth in night out.

clearly i am biased as my name gives away, but they had nothing besides forsberg out there. sully hurt (as usual), erat hurt, hartnell not 100%, karyia invisible most games, arnott-legwand worthless.

granted the GM puts the team together. but i think they had the team on paper to get it done. not the GMs fault they didn't. and i will never fault a team for losing to the sharks who can roll the best 1-2 puch out down the middle. in a couple years sid and malkin may well be the best 1-2 punch ever but rigth now thornton and patti are getting it done.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 01:03 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
IMO...the only team Nashville could have beaten was the Wild.
I have to agree...I just don't think Nashville has the size to go along with the skill of the other West teams. They probably would make a lot of noise in the East though.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
To C Dogs:

SJ over Nashville?????

It's gotta be the coaching!

lol

would you like some salt to pour into the, now gaping, knife hole you just cut in me?

ronnie, winning a playoff round....

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 11:37 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
lol

would you like some salt to pour into the, now gaping, knife hole you just cut in me?

ronnie, winning a playoff round....
Sorry about that CD. Of course, the Wings just sent Ronnie & company off to the golf course, so there is some solace there, eh?

Looks like the Ducks don't have what it takes to knock off them Wings either....which could very well result in the Wings winning the Cup...in the first year of their rebuild. How bout that ted & George?
What with the Pistons and Tigers as well...it's a great time for the Detroit sports fan.

Old
05-11-2007, 11:38 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Does the east not use the same system as the west?

Last time I checked they used the same system, so what does playing in the east or west have to do with anything?

Or maybe I just didn't understand what you were trying to say when you wrote...

"Didn't the top 3 western teams all win their series? Looks like the person who designed the format got it right this year."

What exactly was the point you were trying to make there? Because to me it sounded like you were trying to use the fact that that all the top seeds won as proof that the current seeding system is fair and good. So I will ask again, how did Atlanta do? Or do you just want to continue to pretend they don't use the same system in the east?

The fact that you don't understand IS the point dude.

Old
05-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
The fact that you don't understand IS the point dude.

whatever you say.

Old
05-13-2007, 01:56 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
I have to agree...I just don't think Nashville has the size to go along with the skill of the other West teams. They probably would make a lot of noise in the East though.
Yeah, I think all but the novice fan would agree on this.
I have always liked Korea, but I agree with you: his size limited his effectiveness in the playoffs. Forsberg's foot problems took a huge bite outta his toughness too. They need more Hartnell types. I like their goaltending though.

Old
05-13-2007, 02:04 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
i don't really blame NSH D or lack of size.

SJS are one of the biggest teams in the league, and thornon and patti are a load to handle nigth in night out.

clearly i am biased as my name gives away, but they had nothing besides forsberg out there. sully hurt (as usual), erat hurt, hartnell not 100%, karyia invisible most games, arnott-legwand worthless.

granted the GM puts the team together. but i think they had the team on paper to get it done. not the GMs fault they didn't. and i will never fault a team for losing to the sharks who can roll the best 1-2 puch out down the middle. in a couple years sid and malkin may well be the best 1-2 punch ever but rigth now thornton and patti are getting it done.
Detroit was hurting worse, yet took those last 4 head to head games. I think Nashville's on the right track...but as I said, they need more Hartnell types. Although I understand why you wanted em to win after seeing your screen name(and I appreciate your honesty), but as they stood, I really think the Wild would have been the only team they could've beaten.