HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

hossa a candidate for the "C" kovy for an "A"?

Old
05-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Cors

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Cors
I think Holik gets "C"

Kozzy and Havalid or Zhitnik "A"

Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 06:24 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
2007 Playoffs:

Hits:
Hossa 8
Heatley 18

Blocked Shots:
Hossa 0
Heatley 4

Goals:
Hossa 0
Heatley 5

Heatley 15

Wins:

Hossa 0
Heatley 9

Hossa is probably the LAST person on your team you should give the C to. I'd give it to Kovy before Hossa because at least he's signed for the next few years and showed some emotion against the Rangers.
Yes, and Fernando Pisani should be the C for the Oilers, because he played well in the playoffs last year

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 11:45 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Yes, and Fernando Pisani should be the C for the Oilers, because he played well in the playoffs last year
I'm sorry, but Dany Heatley has been absolutely awesome for the Senators this postseason. He's gone into the high traffic areas, scored goals, made some pretty passes and helped play defense in the final minute of one goal games.

Hossa, so far, has proven to be a great regular season player. That's it. Can that change? Of course it can, but he has to change his attitude when it comes to postseason play. You can't score the same type of goals or make the same type of plays. There's a reason why he was never great in the playoffs in Ottawa, even when they went to the ECF as he went without a goal in the last 10 games.

Heatley, on the other hand, has raised his game, and with another couple of assists tonight, he leads the league in playoff scoring as Ottawa is up 2-0 and only a couple of wins away from the finals.

Give the guy some credit. You can dislike him as a person all you want, but he's one hell of a hockey player and he's proven that this year.

I mean, Heatley is just 5 points away from eclipsing Hossa's career playoff point totals, and he'll do it in about 23 games while it took Hossa 55.

Last edited by DaveMatthew: 05-13-2007 at 12:01 AM.
DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 07:48 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

You do realize we never wanted to trade Heatley in the first place right? He killed a teammate, requested to be released outright by the Thrashers(after the charges had been plea bargained by the county D.A.), and then failed to serve one second of his punishment in the state of Georgia.

I hope that punk never gets his hands on the Stanley Cup

Dany Heatley has nothing to do with this conversation what so ever, and the fact that Ottawa dares to even put an A on his chest is hilarious.

Old
05-13-2007, 07:58 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
Give the guy some credit. You can dislike him as a person all you want, but he's one hell of a hockey player and he's proven that this year.
The problem is not Thrashers fans hating Heatley(rightly so).

The problem is Ottawa trolls attacking Hossa on a thread that has to do with our teams leadership.

Old
05-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Refuse
Mr. Hockey

Quote:
The problem is not Thrashers fans hating Heatley(rightly so).

The problem is Ottawa trolls attacking Hossa on a thread that has to do with our teams leadership.
True, but to be fair, naming Hossa captain would look pretty strange after the postseason he had.

Refuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 12:19 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
You do realize we never wanted to trade Heatley in the first place right? He killed a teammate, requested to be released outright by the Thrashers(after the charges had been plea bargained by the county D.A.), and then failed to serve one second of his punishment in the state of Georgia.

I hope that punk never gets his hands on the Stanley Cup

Dany Heatley has nothing to do with this conversation what so ever, and the fact that Ottawa dares to even put an A on his chest is hilarious.
Why? He's one of the players that Ottawa counts on, scores huge goals and is always out there in the final minute of 1 goal games. I can't say what goes on in the room, but he's also a member of the 6 player "leadership committee" that Bryan Murray has set up along with Alfredsson, Redden, Phillips, Spezza and Fisher. So it seems to me that he deserves an A when Phillips, Redden or Fisher get injured...

Regarding Hossa, like I said previously, a captain is a guy you want to come up in the clutch and lead by example. Hossa has yet to do that, be it in Ottawa or Atlanta. Can he? Probably, he's a terrific player, but until he shows it on the ice I wouldn't give him the captaincy.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Heatley4Hart*

Honestley, Hossa isn't even in Heatley's league after watching these playoffs, cup or no cup. Even last year when Ottawa was eliminated in round 2 the guy had 14 pts in 10 games. That type of production usualy takes Hossa 3 or 4 years in the playoffs to match

Heatley4Hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Evil Genius

If resigned I'd probably give Kozzie the 'C' for next season and keep Hossa an assistant. Why not make Kovalchuk an assistant captain? He's demonstrated a continuing maturity and growth, as well as improved defensive responsibility for several seasons now. After the Heatly car accident in 2003 Kovalchuk picked the team up and carried it on his shoulders. I think he does deserve a chance at it, why not?

And what the heck does Dany Heatly have to do with this thread? If the Sens fans trolling this board have something meaningful and constructive to say, I'd like to hear it. If it's just to rub Hossa's lousy playoff performance in our noses then I hope y'all just go take a hike.

Evil Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengu View Post
Honestley, Hossa isn't even in Heatley's league after watching these playoffs, cup or no cup. Even last year when Ottawa was eliminated in round 2 the guy had 14 pts in 10 games. That type of production usualy takes Hossa 3 or 4 years in the playoffs to match
IMHO Hossa is the better player, albeit not by much.

im a 3rd party so i cant be accused of being biased towards either team.

Hossa has far less to work with in Atlanta. You guys simply do not have playmakers like Alfredson and Spezza. Both are all-world passers, and both create time and space with their amazing skill set.

who did Hossa play with? i honestly dont keep track of the line combinations, but i know for a fact none of the players in the thrashers lineup comes close to the skill level these guys have in terms of passing.

its easy to call Heatley a better player when he plays with Spezza and Alfredson, but if you look at the bigger picture, Hossa creates a lot more stuff through sheer skill, speed, and will, rather than relying on other guys.

If i were the Thrashers GM, point 1 would be to sign Scotty Gomez asap. Put him on a line with Hossa, and you can guarantee, injuries aside, hossa will put up 50+ goals easy.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 07:58 PM
pepty

Hossa is a class person as well as a great player.

It sounds like there was something wrong with the team as a whole in the playoffs.

I would love to see him wear the C and knowing Hossa he would take it to heart.

Some of our players who are doing really well this year have done poorly in the past.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Heatley4Hart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
IMHO Hossa is the better player, albeit not by much.

im a 3rd party so i cant be accused of being biased towards either team.

Hossa has far less to work with in Atlanta. You guys simply do not have playmakers like Alfredson and Spezza. Both are all-world passers, and both create time and space with their amazing skill set.

who did Hossa play with? i honestly dont keep track of the line combinations, but i know for a fact none of the players in the thrashers lineup comes close to the skill level these guys have in terms of passing.

its easy to call Heatley a better player when he plays with Spezza and Alfredson, but if you look at the bigger picture, Hossa creates a lot more stuff through sheer skill, speed, and will, rather than relying on other guys.

If i were the Thrashers GM, point 1 would be to sign Scotty Gomez asap. Put him on a line with Hossa, and you can guarantee, injuries aside, hossa will put up 50+ goals easy.

You are NUTS if you think Heatley relys on anyone to score, nuts. And he proved that in the 17 games little over a month Spezza was injured. He actualy averaged MORE points and scored MORE goals in that stretch than any other time in his career including NHL player of the month. He was centered by Chris Kelly and his game actualy improved big time as well away from the puck. As for playmaking Heatley is one of the best playmaking wingers in the NHL and I can tell you that much. He is such a great passer if you watch him play and sets up those guys as much as they set him up. You should watch.

As for Hossa he is a great person and has lots of skill and speed, but his finish is not the best and when there is pressure he goes missing. That is the only thing and ultimately biggest thing. You play the game for the playoffs and getting the job done there, not regular season. That is the bottom line. If you want that excuse Hossa has been with this team and has played with Alfredsson and Spezza even though he was just 20 then. He had Martin Havlat, wade Redden to get him the puck also and a stacked 113 pts presidents trophy Ottawa team. And he still underwhelmed.

Old
05-14-2007, 12:35 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

All I know is, with Hossa, Ottawa went nowhere in the playoffs, because Hossa ends up on a milk carton every year.

Now, with Heatly, Ottawa is probably going to the Stanley Cup Finals.

It's the same reason I wouldn't want Thornton on my team. I just don't think those guys have an ounce of heart.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Heatley4Hart*

Thrashers that making excuses for Hossa like: Well he doesnt have this or this playing with him, or saying Heatley plays with this or that are grasbing at straws. And besides, Heatley has recorded 109 assists the last 2 years (tops in all wingers in the NHL). He leads all players in the stanley cup playoffs in assists and in pts (6g 17 pts)

Old
05-14-2007, 02:11 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Scoring in the playoffs doesn't equal heart.

And for all the people comparing Hossa's Ottawa playoff stats to Heatley's....that was before the lockout in the old NHL...when goals were MUCH harder to come by.

If the Sens lose the next 4, and Heatley doesn't score any points in those games....someone will make him the goat.

Old
05-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Scoring in the playoffs doesn't equal heart.

And for all the people comparing Hossa's Ottawa playoff stats to Heatley's....that was before the lockout in the old NHL...when goals were MUCH harder to come by.

If the Sens lose the next 4, and Heatley doesn't score any points in those games....someone will make him the goat.
Exactly.

While Hossa must take a share of the blame for the Thrashers poor "performance" in the playoffs, the entire team sucked, and you can hardly blame one player for the entire team sucking. We were out in four games, so Hossa never had much chance to put up points.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Heatley4Hart*

So because you were out in 4 games that is the excuse now that he "never" had a chance?

Too many teams he was counted on got swept from the playoffs. Better teams than the Thrashers. So I guess teams better do what the can to 'sweep' any team he is on before Hossa the great 'wakes-up' few days later like he does in his 8 straight WHC apearances

Old
05-18-2007, 10:14 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengu View Post
So because you were out in 4 games that is the excuse now that he "never" had a chance?

Too many teams he was counted on got swept from the playoffs. Better teams than the Thrashers. So I guess teams better do what the can to 'sweep' any team he is on before Hossa the great 'wakes-up' few days later like he does in his 8 straight WHC apearances
I still don't understand the point. It's not like Atlanta wanted to trade Heatley. I watch Heatley play a lot, and yes, he does produce, and that's what matters ultimately. But no, he doesn't have the skillset of Hossa. Hossa is an amazing player and does so much more on his own.

Heatley reminds me a lot of Savard: you have no idea what he's done but at the end of the night he's got 3 points.

You notice Hossa. And yes, if your team gets ousted as bad as the Thrashers did these playoffs, you don't have much of a chance to put up points.

I don't get your argument - you're acting like an elitist, as if this was some rip-off deal you made personally and are trying to justify it after the fact, not before.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Heatley4Hart*

The Pens didn't make this deal did they? I am not Ottawa fan. I am just telling you that this guy is a choker and Heatley is a difference maker in the playoffs. It is all good and well to score 50 goals 100pts whatever, but that is what it is all about, winning the Cup. And Heatley will probably lead his team to a Cup this year if you have seen him in the post season.

Before you say Hossa does this and that by 'himself', so can Heatley. He is big and strong and won player of the month playing without Spezza for 20 games scoring more pts/goals than he ever did with even Spezza. Also he's back checking and breaking up plays from speedsters like Breire and Drury. Still leads the playoffs in scoring. That is what it is all about, can you produce and make a difference in the playoffs? No one realy cares how much you skate around with the puck.

Plus Hossa has played with all those talented euros that use to be in Ottawa including Alfredsson Havlat...on 114+ pt presidents cup teams that always choked or got swept by 7th/8th seeds.

Old
05-18-2007, 11:09 AM
KevFist
is best pony

What do you not understand about "ATLANTA DIDNT WANT TO TRADE HEATLEY"......

If you forgot, here's a few reminders.....

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Heatley4Hart*

Why are you showing me about Dan Snyder? I know the "accident"

It wasn't like Heatley is guilty of 'killing' his friend.

2 filthy rich kids drive around speeding in Ferrari / Lamborghini. They are not wearing a seatbelt and they get into an accident. That is an accident. It was not like Snyder the stranger was pleading with him to stop and let him out of the Ferrari. I am sure they sped around b4. It could have been the other way around, Snyder driving breaking his knees and head and dead Heatley.

If Heatley was drunk or anything like that, then yes, he is guilty and should be in jail. If they killed a pedestrian, same. But if 2 20 year old rich kids are speeding and get into an accident not wearing their seatbelts, tough luck. It is a tragedy and Snyder cruising in front passenger seat next to his best bud isn't any more innocent that Heatley the driver. Get over that.

Old
05-18-2007, 01:49 PM
KevFist
is best pony

uGH.....

http://www.atlantathrashers.com/View...a-6253769d94d9

Quote:
ATLANTA (August 23, 2005) -- The Atlanta Thrashers have acquired forward Marian Hossa (right) and defenseman Greg de Vries from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for forward Dany Heatley, according to Executive Vice President and General Manager Don Waddell.

“Our entire organization is thrilled to add a highly-skilled, proven scorer in Marian and a solid veteran defenseman such as Greg who has Stanley Cup experience,” said Waddell. “Marian is arguably one of the top players in the world and Greg possesses the invaluable intangibles you need to achieve success. We have now significantly upgraded our roster with six new, key veterans [Hossa, de Vries, Holik, Modry, Havelid, Mellanby], each of whom possess the qualities that will help us become an upper echelon team for many years to come. Today's transaction was set in motion when Dany requested a trade to another team due to his unique personal circumstances. Dany has made significant contributions to the Thrashers and we respectfully agreed to honor his wish while protecting the best short-and-long-term interests of our franchise. Though we are sad to see Dany go, we are very pleased to be able to add these two high-caliber players.”

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote