HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sathers Gone

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2004, 07:23 AM
musdy

vCash: 500
Sathers done as a coach

he has decided to resign

NEW YORK (AP) -- Glen Sather will step down as coach of the slumping New York Rangers just more than a week after saying he would remain behind the bench for the rest of the season, the New York Post reported Wednesday.

Sather met with team owner James Dolan on Tuesday and decided to relinquish his coaching responsibilities, but will remain the Rangers' president and GM, the newspaper said, citing unidentified sources.

An official announcement was expected before practice Wednesday, the Post reported.

With 20 games remaining, it appears the Rangers will miss the playoffs for the seventh straight season despite a roster loaded with expensive stars.

When Sather said he'd remain the Rangers' coach on Feb. 17, he didn't rule out stepping down for a while to concentrate on his GM duties as the March 9 trade deadline approaches.

``Anything is possible,'' he said. ``Let's just wait and see what does happen.''

The Rangers are 22-29-7-4 -- 14 points behind the New York Islanders, who hold the last playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. The Rangers, 4-13-2 in their last 19, play the Islanders on Thursday night.

The 60-year-old Sather has been booed recently by disgruntled fans, and chants of ``Fire Sather!'' have been common at Madison Square Garden.

Despite that, Sather said last week that he'd stay behind the bench.

``I'm coaching the rest of the year,'' he said. ``Who knows, but I don't expect to make any changes in that position at this time.''

On Jan. 26, Dolan gave Sather a vote of confidence despite the team's struggles.

``I don't agree with anybody who thinks Glen has lost the team,'' Dolan said. ``I don't think that's the case at all.''

It was unclear who would take over for Sather, 33-39-11-7 in 90 games with the Rangers. Assistants Tom Renney and Terry O'Reilly would be possibilities, as would former NHL coach Jim Schoenfeld, the GM of the Rangers' AHL affiliate in Hartford.

Two other coaches became available when they were fired Tuesday: St. Louis' Joel Quenneville and Phoenix's Bob Francis

Last edited by musdy: 02-25-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old
02-25-2004, 07:25 AM
MojoJojo

Hell hath no fury like HF unleashed. get ready for the board crash.

edit: on second thought, all hes doing is relinqueshing his coaching duties. The big problem, Sather as GM and president, is still there. Wait until he steps down for real.

Last edited by MojoJojo: 02-25-2004 at 07:29 AM.
Old
02-25-2004, 07:44 AM
Ridley Simon

Meet the new coach of the New York Rangers----

Joel Queneville!

Old
02-25-2004, 07:52 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon

Joel Queneville!
Could be. Or maybe Keenan?

One more position to quit on Sather!

Old
02-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon

Joel Queneville!
His next quote should have said "and replacing myself with a recently available coach." No way is this a coincidence.

Old
02-25-2004, 08:49 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

sather's still the gm tho
nothing has changed

Old
02-25-2004, 09:02 AM
Other Dave

What a disaster for Rangers fans! With Slats as GM and the coaching spot open, he can keep a revolving door of coaches and never have to take responsibility for the team's failings.

Other Dave

Old
02-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
What a disaster for Rangers fans! With Slats as GM and the coaching spot open, he can keep a revolving door of coaches and never have to take responsibility for the team's failings.

Other Dave
That's exactly what I thought. When does the GM get held accountable?

Old
02-25-2004, 10:14 AM
NYR469

quenneville isn't coming, atleast not yet...sather will be replaced by an interm coach, either renney or o'reilly to finish the year...

Old
02-25-2004, 10:34 AM
jacksheit

Send a message via ICQ to jacksheit Send a message via MSN to jacksheit
I WANT KEENAN!

Old
02-25-2004, 10:35 AM
incawg

The thrill is gone, the thrill is gone away............

Old
02-25-2004, 11:25 AM
RE-HABS

Ownership should have fired Sather and not given him the choice of resigning from the coach position. Maybe they will wait till the summer to fire the whole management and coaching staff.

Old
02-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
His next quote should have said "and replacing myself with a recently available coach." No way is this a coincidence.
To play Devils Advocate, why would Q want to wind up in NY?

The team doesn't play well, especailly on D. Q put a D system in in St. Louis but I can't see him doing it there is NY. High payroll, poor player mgt have put NY is a tough spot. While it would be a challenge to get the ship righted in NY, and some poeple love challenges, I think there are other teams, in better situations, that would be more attractive.

Old
02-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1

The team doesn't play well, especailly on D. Q put a D system in in St. Louis but I can't see him doing it there is NY. High payroll, poor player mgt have put NY is a tough spot. While it would be a challenge to get the ship righted in NY, and some poeple love challenges, I think there are other teams, in better situations, that would be more attractive.
I think the key word is challenge.
I agree that it is a bad situation as they have a ton of money in some long contracts but it is most definitely a challenge to get that ship going again.
I think Pho will also push for his services and has a very nice young base of players and a new arena.

Old
02-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1

The team doesn't play well, especailly on D.
That team you are referring to will be gone by summer.

The only forwards under guaranteed contract for next season are Jagr and Holik. Everyone else is either UFA or is under club option, such as Nedved and he's history fersure.

Old
02-25-2004, 02:32 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
That team you are referring to will be gone by summer.

The only forwards under guaranteed contract for next season are Jagr and Holik. Everyone else is either UFA or is under club option, such as Nedved and he's history fersure.
Let me clarify. Lundmark is RFA - but he's not the problem.

Lindros has a club option for $10M guaranteed. That will not be exercised.

Messier is UFA.

Nedved has a club option. He's gone.

Hlavac is UFA.

Rucinsky (who I'd like to see come back) is UFA and has told friends that he's probably finished in the NHL. He wants to play with Reichel in the Czech league.

Kovalev is UFA.

Barnaby is UFA.

Simon is UFA.

Bure is singed through next season - but his case is wierd and he cannot be blamed for what went down. Blame Danton for taking out Bure's knees.

Guys like Ortmeyer, LaCouture, Lundmark are fine to keep. I'm certain that Quenneville would have no problem with their presence.

Old
02-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
Let me clarify. Lundmark is RFA - but he's not the problem.

Lindros has a club option for $10M guaranteed. That will not be exercised.

Messier is UFA.

Nedved has a club option. He's gone.

Hlavac is UFA.

Rucinsky (who I'd like to see come back) is UFA and has told friends that he's probably finished in the NHL. He wants to play with Reichel in the Czech league.

Kovalev is UFA.

Barnaby is UFA.

Simon is UFA.

Bure is singed through next season - but his case is wierd and he cannot be blamed for what went down. Blame Danton for taking out Bure's knees.

Guys like Ortmeyer, LaCouture, Lundmark are fine to keep. I'm certain that Quenneville would have no problem with their presence.
I'm fairly certain that Bure's contract next season is a club option, so he won't be back either. Mironov and Malakhov are also UFA's this summer and there are a handful of Group VI bit players...

Closed Thread