HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Rutherford gets extension from Hurricanes

Old
04-17-2007, 03:12 PM
A-Train in Motion

vCash: 500

Link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=204524&hubname=nhl

What do you guys / girls think?

A-Train in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Stephen

From an outsiders perspective, I'm not a fan of the move. Rutherford is a guy who doesn't manage with any sort of long term vision and makes his fair share of poor moves.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 03:58 PM
bleedgreen

overall over the length of his career i feel he is only gm in the league that can have a mediocre to bad team for so long and still have a job. i believe the reason for his longevity has been his relationship with karmanos, as they were from the very beginning in it together.

having said that, once the team loosened the purse strings a bit, and jr learned on the job a bit he put together some solid teams. i dont think he is a masterful gm. i think he built a solid mostly veteran team that got hot at the right time in 2002, and i think he one season of pure gold last season. that actually was two offseasons because of the lockout. everything he touched turned to gold, and the team went all the way.

i think the criticism that he is shortsighted is fair. prospects and high picks are never safe on his teams. when the team was bad he would do anything to make them mediocre, when they were good he would do anything to keep them there. in theory, that is a good attitude, to be the best team you can be now. many others would say mixing that with some patience and letting a team grow up can go a long way too, especially if you want your team to maintain its success.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 04:54 PM
DeathFromAbove

He won the cup with a team-imposed cap of $29 million.

Anyone who says he is a bad GM is an idiot.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:30 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
He won the cup with a team-imposed cap of $29 million.

Anyone who says he is a bad GM is an idiot.
at times i think he has been a bad gm. if that makes me an idiot so be it. i think i hold my own around here, though.

that payroll was timing more than anything. staal, williams, and cole all in contract years and would give career performances. whitney and stillman on huge discounts. didnt think it was at 29 million when all was said and done. what was tampa's payroll when they won?

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 08:49 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
I have no problem with this move. While he isn't great by any means in terms of prospect development, he is a good capologist. He knows how to put together a quality team when Karmanos loosens the purse strings a bit. I don't blame him entirely for this season, although his inability to get a good #3 center when we had so much cap room was one of a number of things that cost us the playoffs. That said... 5 year deal? No thanks, if this team doesn't turn it around next year that contract is going to look godawful.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I have no problem with this move. While he isn't great by any means in terms of prospect development, he is a good capologist. He knows how to put together a quality team when Karmanos loosens the purse strings a bit. I don't blame him entirely for this season, although his inability to get a good #3 center when we had so much cap room was one of a number of things that cost us the playoffs. That said... 5 year deal? No thanks, if this team doesn't turn it around next year that contract is going to look godawful.
I tend to agree. Our player development under his realm has not been what it should, but maybe Ronnie Franchise will help with that. He's made his share of moves he'd take back, but overall its hard to argue with him. When he has had maneuverability, he's done some good things. Length of the deal is maybe a bit much. I'm all right with it.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:33 AM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I agree with you here. And the other good news or positive however you want to take it, He admitted that he didn't fill the #3 center roll very well. I like how when something doesn't work out he can acknowledge it and fix it. We'll have to see how he fixes the #3 center role over the next few months, but it sounds like that will be his first free agent signing. He also noted that we need a defensemen, but that center position will be his priority and I have to agree here. Not having an effective #3 center killed us this year.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 02:10 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I don't care for Rutherford, but I rather have the Karmanos/Rutherford relationship that has stuck with the headaches over the years than most GMs and owners in this league. We should feel blessed.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
I love the fact that JR is our GM.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote