HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Wolfpack Update

Old
05-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Wolfpack Update

According to Zipay's blog, it looks the Pack will stay in Hartford for at least one more season. He doesn't give any more detail than that.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 02:57 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Zipay is an idiot

This story was in the Hartford Courant three-four days ago

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...adlines-hockey

Zippy should at least give Bruce Berlet a mention since it's his story

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 04:07 PM
alkurtz

Still stuff going on with Glens Falls: new seats might be installed over the summer, the AHL commissioner is visiting this week.
Sounds to me as if the Rangers are playing both sides (Hartford and Glens Falls) off against each other in an attempt to get the best deal. There seems to be some bad blood in Hartford.
From what I've gathered (reading local papers and various websites), any deal with either Hartford and Glens Falls will be short term (1 or 2 years) as the Rangers try to come up with a long term solution to the location of the franchise.
Aside from Hartford and Glens Falls (Hartford is an excellent location, as is Glens Falls), options may include Brooklyn (expanding Aviator or playing in the Nets facility), Westchester (don't have a clue at this point where that would be, doesn't seem viable) or Danbury (where negotiations on a new 5000 seat arena are in a "quiet period" (essentially a no comment period where all sides have agreed not to comment to the press).
So, I would think its either Hartford or Glens Falls for 07-08. The AHL needs to begin work on its schedule ASAP and needs to know fairly quickly.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Looks like the Wolf*Pack will stay in Hartford

Quote:
Madison Square Garden and a group headed by Hartford real estate developer Larry Gottesdiener will announce a multiyear deal Tuesday to keep the Wolf Pack in Hartford, according to sources close to the negotiations.
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...headlines-home

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:42 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Good, I'm going to college next year in Conn. and I think its kinda close to Hartford and I'm hoping to catch a couple games next year..

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:46 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Very good.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Yeap, tomorrow is the deadline. Great news!!!

And where are you going to college in CT?

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Hartford HockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post

I cant wait for the announcement. Lets Go Wolf Pack!!

Hartford HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Very good.
I don't think it's really that good at all. The team needs to be closer to MSG. Much closer.

As in Brooklyn closer.

And I hope that comes as soon as possible.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Hartford HockeyFan

Wolf Pack To Stay In Hartford

10:06 PM EDT,May 14, 2007
By Bruce Berlet, The Hartford Courant Madison Square Garden and a group headed by Hartford real estate developer Larry Gottesdiener will announce a multiyear deal Tuesday to keep the Wolf Pack in Hartford, according to sources close to the negotiations.

Gottesdiener and AEG Northland, the company that won the bidding to run the Civic Center, conferred again Monday with officials from MSG, which has handled the facility for 10 years.

Tuesday is the deadline for franchises to stipulate whether they're going to play next season because it's the final day of the AHL's spring meetings in Springfield.

Both sides have expressed interest in reaching an agreement but continue to remain noncommittal about any decision.

"Talks are ongoing," said Chuck Coursey, a spokesman for Gottesdiener. "When there's something to report, we'll announce it." And a spokesperson said MSG-Connecticut stood by its earlier stance that it will "comment at the appropriate time."

AHL president and CEO Dave Andrews could not be reached, but last week he said he thought there would be a team in Hartford for at least an 11th season.

"In my mind, there's a perfect marriage to be made between the groups," Andrews said. "AEG has the building and an interest in the AHL, and Hartford has a franchise that has a track record in the marketplace and a fan base. And the Rangers clearly would prefer to be in Hartford, so that all kind of speaks for itself."

Though the AHL's constitution states that today is the deadline, Andrews has said he would consider an extension if the parties appeared close to a resolution. MSG and AEG are not expected to ask for one.

The Wolf Pack this year joined the Hershey Bears (1938-49) and Montreal/Nova Scotia Voyageurs (1969-84) as the only teams in the AHL's 71-year history to qualify for the playoffs in each of their first 10 seasons. The Rangers moved their top affiliate from Binghamton, N.Y., to Hartford after the Whalers left for North Carolina in 1997.

Neither MSG nor Gottesdiener has many options, especially since Gottesdiener's group doesn't own an AHL franchise. The Edmonton Oilers have a suspended franchise for sale after the AHL's Edmonton Roadrunners went inactive, but that's not a feasible alternative at this late date.

The Oilers recently signed a three-year affiliation deal with Springfield.

Contact Bruce Berlet at bberlet@courant.com.

Old
05-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Why do they need to be closer? Roughly two hours is damn close for a minor league affiliate. Hell, Edmonton is going to have their team in Springfield, MA next season.

Old
05-14-2007, 11:34 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:

Quinnipiac.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Mistress Mandy

Quote:
Roughly two hours is damn close for a minor league affiliate.
The Flyers have their AHL affiliate across the street from them. Now that's "damn close".

Anyway, that's some really good news. Keeps the team in the city for a couple more years, and gives me something to do over the winter for the seventh straight winter.

Mistress Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:44 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2 View Post
Good, I'm going to college next year in Conn. and I think its kinda close to Hartford and I'm hoping to catch a couple games next year..
45 mins by car, but you can't have a car on campus freshman year which might make it a little tough.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Yeah, I realize the Flyers affiliate is there, but if you look around that's really not common at all, so I was speaking universally.

Old
05-15-2007, 01:45 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyB View Post
The Flyers have their AHL affiliate across the street from them. Now that's "damn close".

Anyway, that's some really good news. Keeps the team in the city for a couple more years, and gives me something to do over the winter for the seventh straight winter.
The Leafs AHL affiliate is in the same city although you could probably say that they are on the opposite side of downtown that the Leafs are at.

Buffalo isn't very far from Rochester (just over an hour).

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 08:38 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Yeah, I realize the Flyers affiliate is there, but if you look around that's really not common at all, so I was speaking universally.
its not common because most cities don't have 2 arenas to support 2 teams, and lots of those markets can't support 1 teams...but that does NOT mean that the situation isn't ideal. the ideal situation is to move the pack closer to nyc and then buy a echl franchise and move them into the general area too. but you obviously don't think so cause you are from CT and would be one of the fans unfortunately screwed by such a move.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Hartford HockeyFan

Wolf Pack Expected To Remain In Hartford

May 25, 2007
By BRUCE BERLET, Courant Staff Writer A deal between a group headed by Hartford real estate developer Larry Gottesdiener and Madison Square Garden that would keep the Wolf Pack in Hartford is expected to be announced Tuesday, according to sources.

The AHL spring meeting ended with the AHL Board of Governors unanimously approving the relocation of a franchise owned by the Calgary Flames from Omaha, Neb., to the Quad Cities of eastern Illinois and western Iowa.

No other action was taken, but the league announced the Quad City Flames are one of 29 AHL teams active for next season. Spokespersons for Gottesdiener and MSG said talks on a multiyear deal continue. The Tuesday announcement is expected to be at the Civic Center, which MSG will no longer manage after 10 years as Gottesdiener's Northland Investment Corp. and AEG Facilities will take control of the building.

AHL vice president of communications Jason Chaimovitch said the Calgary franchise transfer was the only item on the board of governors' agenda, so the end of the spring meeting indicated no other team would relocate or suspend operations. Despite no formal announcement, the Rangers, owned by MSG, were ready to continue to have the Wolf Pack remain their top affiliate in partnership with Gottesdiener.

"We didn't get any notification from the other 28 teams that they're moving," Chaimovitch said. "It's incumbent on [Gottesdiener and MSG] to strike any deal they need in order to play, but we're moving forward with division realignment and scheduling and have no reason to believe there's not going to be a team in Hartford next season. As of now, we have the 27 teams we had this season, plus Rockford [Ill.] and Cleveland."

Quad City is expected to take Omaha's spot in the West Division, which will add Rockford as an eighth team. Cleveland will join what will become a seven-team North Division. The Pack will remain in the seven-team Atlantic Division. Bridgeport remains in the seven-team East Division.

Contact Bruce Berlet at bberlet@courant.com.