HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which road map do you want the Rangers to follow?

View Poll Results: What direction should the Rangers go in?
Option A (UFA NOW) 33 34.74%
Option B (BLOCKBUSTER TRADE NOW) 13 13.68%
Option C (STOPGAP NOW, BIG UFA LATER) 12 12.63%
Option D (STAND PAT, PLAY THE KIDS) 37 38.95%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-15-2007, 12:01 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Which road map do you want the Rangers to follow?

Now that our season is over it's time to start looking towards the future. In the past week or so there's been a good bit of speculation regarding which direction the team should head in going forward. While there have been many thoughts on the issue, it seems that 4 main options have emerged. Which one do you support, and why?

Option A (UFA NOW)

The team signs one of the best available UFAs this summer (e.g. Drury, Briere, Gomez.) On the plus side, it only costs us $ against the cap. We keep all our assets. We get a legitimate talent to play on the top 2 lines and as a result the team can play guys in their proper positions (e.g. Cullen centering the 3rd line.) On the downside, these guys are all tier 1A players at best, and they will cost. They are going to want a lengthy contract and a big payday (5+ mil/per.) In a couple of years when Jagr and company are gone this guy will still be here and probably won't be able to bring it on his own.

Option B (BLOCKBUSTER TRADE NOW)

The team sends a package of players, prospects and draft picks (e.g. Montoya, Prucha, 1st rounder, etc.) for an elite player like Lecavalier. Please note the point here isn't to determine fair value or whether VL is available, but rather to say we give up what it takes to get a player of this talent. On the plus side we get a world class talent and immediately become one of the scariest offensive teams in the league. We get a guy who is just entering his prime, and when Jagr's days are done we have our franchise player to lead the charge. On the downside, we give up major assets and lock up a ton of cap space on one player. Assuming Montoya is dealt we will need to address our depth at the goaltending position.

Option C (STOPGAP NOW, BIG UFA LATER)

The team signs a player with a question mark, such as Peter Forsberg, to a 1 year deal to hold us over until the big crop of UFA's hit the market next summer. On the plus side we add a playmaker who can also score, and averages a point/game when healthy. He fills a needed top line center position, and as a result the other forwards can be played in their proper roles (see Cullen above.) Since recent history indicates that PF won't be durable enough to start 82 games, it could benefit a kid like Dubinsky as he could get some quality starts. We also hang on to all our assets. Cap hit won't be an issue as it comes off the books after the season. We can even pay him a premium to entice him if we think he's the right guy. We can then swing for the fences next summer and try to land a tier 1 elite stud from the likes of Heatley, Hossa, Thornton, Iginla or others who might be looking to test the free agency waters. On the downside, there is obviously great risk associated with signing any older or injury prone player. Also, Jagr and friends ain't getting any younger, so looking to '08-'09 before the start of '07-'08 might not be the best bet short term.

Option D (STAND PAT, PLAY THE KIDS)

The team doesn't make any moves and stays out of the free agent market. They keep a couple of roster spots open and let the kids fight it out in camp. The best of Dawes, Dubinsky, Korpikowski, Bourret, etc. get the nod. On the plus side it costs very little and we keep all of our assets. We stay well under the cap and can make deals during the season to fine tune the lineup. On the downside these prospects might not be ready for primetime come opening night. As mentioned above, the window of opportunity for a championship with Jagr at the helm is closing quickly, and leaving the team's fate to a couple of rookies in '07-'08 might not be the best use of #68's talents.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

B-->C-->D

A

in that order.

First I would look into acquiring a YOUNG franchise type player, because we really arent that far off, and still have enough tradeable talent w/o killing the farm system (frankly where are most of these guys going to play...probably not here)

if nothing is available at a price we are comfortable paying, then try to get Forsberg or another 1 year stopgap

if none of those players are willing to come here at a reasonable price, then stand pat.

do not sign any of these long term schmos available (unless by some miracle they are willing to sign contracts that more accurately reflect their worth).

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:19 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
UFA. The UFA centers available this year are all young enough to fit into our plan.

I don't want to trade away assets at all for another player unless they are of the Lecavalier nature.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Czech Your Math

Whether through trade or FA, it's time to go for the Cup.

Add the pieces necessary to compete with Ottawa next year, as I believe the Rangers can compete with any other team in the east.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:47 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
UFA. The UFA centers available this year are all young enough to fit into our plan.

I don't want to trade away assets at all for another player unless they are of the Lecavalier nature.
Those centers though are not worth that kind of money (imho)

Old
05-15-2007, 12:54 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Those centers though are not worth that kind of money (imho)
I definitely think they are worth the money. Drury is the kind of player this team needs.

Briere is a bonafide #1 center in this league and he's definitely worth the big bucks. Same as Gomez.

Gomez, frankly, has the most "potential" out of all of them as he's never really been in a more offensive friendly system. He could hit over 100 points.

Imagine him feeding the puck to Shanny or Callahan? Man alive would it be magic out there.

Imagine Drury scoring the game 7 goal against the Sabres in the ECF to move on to the SCF.

I mean, these guys are great players. Every single one of them. I'd rather sign one of them and possibly regret it a bit rather than trade assets for a guy like Richards, who makes more than any of them will get, and regret it AND regret trading the assets (probably Dubinsky, 1st round pick, + someone else) for him.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:36 AM
eco's bones

Option A is the best now. I'd go after Gomez who is still young and try to get him between 5 and 6 mil. As for Option B I'm not really against that either though I'm not sure we're pulling off a VL deal. There are young centers around like Horton or Bergeron for two--maybe Marleau that would be worth looking at via a trade. All in all here I'd only be looking at getting one top line center between both those options. Option C is the worst to me. It's more in line with standing pat than Option D. In any case I think the Forsberg idea is awful.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:37 AM
Pizza

It could go to hell, but I'd say sign a good UFA with some years in front of him.

It's only $$$, not picks or prospects.

Gomez would seem to be a good fit if he wants to wear Blue. The Rangers would have a better than decent shot at the Cup and building a winning tradition is good for the youth.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
I definitely think they are worth the money. Drury is the kind of player this team needs.

Briere is a bonafide #1 center in this league and he's definitely worth the big bucks. Same as Gomez.

Gomez, frankly, has the most "potential" out of all of them as he's never really been in a more offensive friendly system. He could hit over 100 points.

Imagine him feeding the puck to Shanny or Callahan? Man alive would it be magic out there.

Imagine Drury scoring the game 7 goal against the Sabres in the ECF to move on to the SCF.

I mean, these guys are great players. Every single one of them. I'd rather sign one of them and possibly regret it a bit rather than trade assets for a guy like Richards, who makes more than any of them will get, and regret it AND regret trading the assets (probably Dubinsky, 1st round pick, + someone else) for him.
Heatley, Thornton, Hossa, Iginla, those are the kind of guys worth 6 years at 7 million dollars.

Gomez? 7 years NHL experience, how many times has he scored over 20 goals? once. He averages roughly 64 points a season, this season 64 points puts 58 players AHEAD of his output.

Briere? first off, hes going to be 30 years old this october, a 6 or 7 year deal takes him into that scary 35 year old area. for a smallish guy like him, thats risky. second off his last 4 complete seasons (hes had a lot of injuries) hes averaging about 70 points per season, this season, 70 points has 30 people ranked ahead of your output.

Drury? he'll be 31 in august, see briere for my thoughts on that. Output? about 58 points per season. last season, 58 points has about 84 players putting up better numbers than you.

Not to mention that Briere and Drury both play on a highly explosive offensive team that preaches attack first, defend second, we preach defend first, attack second. their numbers would likely go DOWN in our system. How about Gomez? well we can assume his numbers would go up, but by how much? its not like he was playing with horrendous linemates, for gods sake the guy had Elias AND Gionta on his line. Even if you think he can match his 1 year explosion 2 years ago playing for us, that still leaves him at roughly Rod Brindamours career average. Rod's peak salary was 5 million in his career. Youd be ok with giving this guy 6, 6.5? for 1 good year?

no....thanks.

ill take Forsberg if were talking just free agents, who will likely cost us 5 million at 1 year. Hes averaged 76 points per season (including his injury years, not counting overseas play) since 00-01. Thats still better than any of the three guys listed above. If you even say he puts up the average between his last 2 years, (55/75) thats 65 points. About what those 3 would give you, which would allow for one of our kids to come up the next year to take his place.

Long and the short of it, I have yet to hear a single argument as to why these 3 are worth the money except for the usual "they are #1's, they are worth it". please, do tell why you think they are worth it. Unless you are willing to buy walk year numbers as what you should expect here, i cant think of a possible argument justifying 6 years, @ 6-7 mil per.

Old
05-15-2007, 04:32 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Heatley, Thornton, Hossa, Iginla, those are the kind of guys worth 6 years at 7 million dollars.

Gomez? 7 years NHL experience, how many times has he scored over 20 goals? once. He averages roughly 64 points a season, this season 64 points puts 58 players AHEAD of his output.

Briere? first off, hes going to be 30 years old this october, a 6 or 7 year deal takes him into that scary 35 year old area. for a smallish guy like him, thats risky. second off his last 4 complete seasons (hes had a lot of injuries) hes averaging about 70 points per season, this season, 70 points has 30 people ranked ahead of your output.

Drury? he'll be 31 in august, see briere for my thoughts on that. Output? about 58 points per season. last season, 58 points has about 84 players putting up better numbers than you.

Not to mention that Briere and Drury both play on a highly explosive offensive team that preaches attack first, defend second, we preach defend first, attack second. their numbers would likely go DOWN in our system. How about Gomez? well we can assume his numbers would go up, but by how much? its not like he was playing with horrendous linemates, for gods sake the guy had Elias AND Gionta on his line. Even if you think he can match his 1 year explosion 2 years ago playing for us, that still leaves him at roughly Rod Brindamours career average. Rod's peak salary was 5 million in his career. Youd be ok with giving this guy 6, 6.5? for 1 good year?

no....thanks.

ill take Forsberg if were talking just free agents, who will likely cost us 5 million at 1 year. Hes averaged 76 points per season (including his injury years, not counting overseas play) since 00-01. Thats still better than any of the three guys listed above. If you even say he puts up the average between his last 2 years, (55/75) thats 65 points. About what those 3 would give you, which would allow for one of our kids to come up the next year to take his place.

Long and the short of it, I have yet to hear a single argument as to why these 3 are worth the money except for the usual "they are #1's, they are worth it". please, do tell why you think they are worth it. Unless you are willing to buy walk year numbers as what you should expect here, i cant think of a possible argument justifying 6 years, @ 6-7 mil per.

I agree with most of those points EXECPT for the Forsberg signing, Health Issues aside I can't see him mixing well with this group of players. I would really like to see a trade VL being my coveted player of choice Followed byu Marleau or Horton.
We have the assets, & we would not be giving up all of them 2 or 3 of our top 5 prospects ,plus add a throw in player & a pick or two and we are GLODEN

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 06:20 AM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I agree with most of those points EXECPT for the Forsberg signing, Health Issues aside I can't see him mixing well with this group of players. I would really like to see a trade VL being my coveted player of choice Followed byu Marleau or Horton.
We have the assets, & we would not be giving up all of them 2 or 3 of our top 5 prospects ,plus add a throw in player & a pick or two and we are GLODEN
GLODEN! AT LAST!!!

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 06:28 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

no....thanks.

My sentiments almost to a tee. Not one of those three are going to be worth spending a max contract on, at least not from a Ranger standpoint.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 06:39 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

I wonder if Atlanta would be willing to part with Kovalchuk with the right offer...
He'd replace Jagr once he retires...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 06:52 AM
pld459666

well, considering that Heatley, Thornton, Hossa and Iginla probably won't be available to sign without giving anything up off our current group of players/prospects, I don't see them being worth the cost to acquire them PLUS the contract and if I had a choise to make between signing a guy for cash and acquiring a guy for that same cash plus assets, it's an easy choice for me.

I still do not believe that we are nearly at the point where we can start moving assets for players. We still do not have that top flight young forward prospect in the system which means that any deal for any of the four mentioned above costs us two out of the following Sauer, Sanguinetti, Montoya, Bourret, Dubinsky, Korpikoski and I'm not sure that we are in position of strength to deal depth from any position in this organization.

As for Drury being 31, you are correct he's a bit older, but he's exactly the type of player the Rangers could use. An above average defensive center perfect for the
2nd line. Not sure we can go wrong with that signing.

And Gomez isn't being signed by a team out there because of his goal scoring abilities. He's being signed because his play making abilities can probably help push Shanny to 40 goals this year, get Prucha back to the 30+ goal plateau and in all probability find Callahan more often than anyone Ryan has ever played with. With Jagr getting up there in age, we need the ability of a playmaker on another line without parting with major assets and the same type of contract. In fact, an argument can be made that the additional money that a Gomez or Drury get could be the cost of keeping your assets. Because we know that going out and acquiring franchise type assets will cost a bundle in terms of players and cash, why not save the players (and still build from within) while adding a major piece to the puzzel for nothing but money.

I choose option A

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
My sentiments almost to a tee. Not one of those three are going to be worth spending a max contract on, at least not from a Ranger standpoint.

Old
05-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Levitate

Quote:

First I would look into acquiring a YOUNG franchise type player, because we really arent that far off, and still have enough tradeable talent w/o killing the farm system (frankly where are most of these guys going to play...probably not here)
I agree with this one. Jagr isn't going to be here much longer, and while I think the Rangers could build a strong team without a true star player, having one would make them a much better contender. If they can swing something for a young star player without giving up the farm, I say do it.

If they can't...a big part of me says stand pat and bring in a guy like Dubinsky to play that #2 center spot. Maybe look for a UFA to fill in the wing on that line (whether it's Shanny or whoever). The problem, in my opinion, is that the Rangers have some young players who will be beating down the doors to get in, if they're not already. If they go out and sign a UFA to play that center spot, they're locking a player like Dubinsky out of the lineup for years to come, basically. They'll be pretty filled up down the center, assuming Nylander is re-signed, and no FA is going to sign without getting at least something like a 3 year deal.

So you'd have Nylander, FA, Cullen, Betts, and no place for someone like Dubinsky to play for the next 2-3 years. Of course, things can always change, but I'm just wary about the Rangers locking their own young players out of the lineup by going the FA route. The only center they have that they've "developed" is Betts. They need to develop one at some point.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Madness

Quote:

no....thanks.

Agree on everything, this summer's UFAs aren't worth it. If we can get a good young player (Horton), I'm all for it, if not then sign Forsberg 1 year.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 09:22 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
well, considering that Heatley, Thornton, Hossa and Iginla probably won't be available to sign without giving anything up off our current group of players/prospects, I don't see them being worth the cost to acquire them PLUS the contract and if I had a choise to make between signing a guy for cash and acquiring a guy for that same cash plus assets, it's an easy choice for me.
What do you mean by this? All 4 are UFA's after this season. IF, and that's obviously a big IF, they decide to go the free agency route we can sign one without giving up anything in return. Or are you saying that they will re-sign with their current clubs and as a result we'd have to trade for them? I'm not sure why they would want to re-sign if they want to go somewhere else though.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 09:26 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think at this point with the available UFA's out there - the big ones might not be the answer for this team.

Inferno pointed it out about the production of Gomez, Briere and Drury.

I also like to look at how those players perform in the playoffs too. Gomez had a very good playoffs and Drury, well... he gets his big goals. But Briere and Drury lately - now i dont know if they are banged up or whatver, but they are the two leaders of the Sabres and they arent playing that way. I give Ottawa credit but the Rangers shut them down for the most part too. I don't like their "spirit" right now.

Anyway...

If you think about the production of this current Rangers team the last half of the year its not out of the realm of possibility that this team can compete for the division next year with the players they have.

Maybe going after a top pick in this years draft isnt so bad if that kid can step in and play in a season or two. Its all about timing though.

But lets not forget how many threads we started and sabotaged about a "true top center". The Rangers need one if they want to take the next step. And even if you go out and get one you can still do some other little things. Its just a question of who.

With that said if you can get a guy like (namely) Lecavalier for the right price.. f it... any price...do it. The guy is at the top of his game and i think he will be in the top 3 in the league for the next 4 or 5 years. He adds a whole different dynamic to team and hes a rising leader as well.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 05-15-2007 at 09:37 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:21 AM
WheresBarnaby

I wouldn't do anything crazy for a UFA right now. If need be just play the kids till a great deal comes along. I do think we're going to need another big name to get from a B+/A- team to A+, especially since Shanny won't have too many seasons left.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Wow, right now more votes for us to use the youth and not go UFA.... shocking considering that most of the posts I read have Dury/Gomez/Briere on the first or second line of next years line up....

Silent majority?

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:01 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Read My Lips... No New Free Agents!
...also, no trades too

I can just see us resigning Shanny & Nylander and a UFA. What a death blow that would be. You kill the whole depth chart. You'll be putting all of these young guys on the fourth line to rot while the 30+ yr old guys plus maybe one younger guy rule the top 2 lines. Great, just what we need 1998 - 2004 all over again.

Why is it that this is the only team that is unwilling to put their young guns in the top two lines?
We have, Prucha, Callahan, and Dawes all waiting for second line minutes and instead we're going to stick them in the 3rd/4th lines or in Hartford next year.

Truthfully for the development of our youth, and although some may see it as a step backwards, drop Shanny.
Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Prucha - Dubinsky - Callahan
Avery - Cullen - Dawes
Bourret/Orr - Betts - Hossa

Staal - Rozsival
Girardi - Tyutin
Mara - Malik/Pock

Bold are the 30+ guys.
Underlined are those between 26 & 30
I think 4-5 vets, 5 almost vets, and 8-9 youngins is a good mix.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 05-15-2007 at 11:22 AM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think we should find a #2 center who can fill the gaps until the summer of '08 when the real meat will be on the market. If we get a Drury or similar and lose Nylander in a year or two, we will be right back where we started (#1 center with no #2). However, if a true #2 center is available for a decent rate, then sign them up.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I wonder if Atlanta would be willing to part with Kovalchuk with the right offer...
He'd replace Jagr once he retires...
Thats two years from now, we need a center NOW, not another winger.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:20 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

That's why we should develop from within! I think a Dubinsky or an Immonen can be a #2 center. #1? Probably not, but #2 definitely. Plus Dubinsky has some experience with Callahan, so it could work out well. We'll have to draft a center with the first round pick this year.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 05-15-2007 at 11:25 AM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote