HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Which road map do you want the Rangers to follow?

View Poll Results: What direction should the Rangers go in?
Option A (UFA NOW) 33 34.74%
Option B (BLOCKBUSTER TRADE NOW) 13 13.68%
Option C (STOPGAP NOW, BIG UFA LATER) 12 12.63%
Option D (STAND PAT, PLAY THE KIDS) 37 38.95%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
What do you mean by this? All 4 are UFA's after this season. IF, and that's obviously a big IF, they decide to go the free agency route we can sign one without giving up anything in return. Or are you saying that they will re-sign with their current clubs and as a result we'd have to trade for them? I'm not sure why they would want to re-sign if they want to go somewhere else though.
Notable 2008 UFAs (Most are currently 30 or under, forwards only. Salary # is their expected 07/08 salary. Info is from www.nhlnumbers.com):
  1. Iginla, Jarome $7MM/season
  2. Morrison, Brendan $3.2MM
  3. Naslund, Markus $6MM
  4. Demitra, Pavol $4.5MM
  5. Thornton, Joe $6.7MM
  6. Marleau, Patrick $4.5MM
  7. Hecht, Jochen $2.4MM
  8. Samsonov, Sergei $3.5MM
  9. Heatley, Dany $5.5MM
  10. Spezza, Jason (RFA) $5MM
  11. Hossa, Marian $7MM

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:41 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'll take Heatley, Spezza, Hossa, and Mr. Thornton please... I'd rather wait til next year, but that's just me.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:49 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Notable 2008 UFAs (Most are currently 30 or under, forwards only. Salary # is their expected 07/08 salary. Info is from www.nhlnumbers.com):
  1. Iginla, Jarome $7MM/season
  2. Morrison, Brendan $3.2MM
  3. Naslund, Markus $6MM
  4. Demitra, Pavol $4.5MM
  5. Thornton, Joe $6.7MM
  6. Marleau, Patrick $4.5MM
  7. Hecht, Jochen $2.4MM
  8. Samsonov, Sergei $3.5MM
  9. Heatley, Dany $5.5MM
  10. Spezza, Jason (RFA) $5MM
  11. Hossa, Marian $7MM

Right, there are some great talents on that list. What I didn't understand was what pld459666 meant when he said that these guys would not "be available to sign without giving anything up off our current group of players/prospects." If they are UFAs after next summer (when I said this season I meant the one coming up) I don't see how it will cost us anything.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:54 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
Read My Lips... No New Free Agents!
...also, no trades too

I can just see us resigning Shanny & Nylander and a UFA. What a death blow that would be. You kill the whole depth chart. You'll be putting all of these young guys on the fourth line to rot while the 30+ yr old guys plus maybe one younger guy rule the top 2 lines. Great, just what we need 1998 - 2004 all over again.

Why is it that this is the only team that is unwilling to put their young guns in the top two lines?
We have, Prucha, Callahan, and Dawes all waiting for second line minutes and instead we're going to stick them in the 3rd/4th lines or in Hartford next year.

Truthfully for the development of our youth, and although some may see it as a step backwards, drop Shanny.
Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Prucha - Dubinsky - Callahan
Avery - Cullen - Dawes
Bourret/Orr - Betts - Hossa

Staal - Rozsival
Girardi - Tyutin
Mara - Malik/Pock

Bold are the 30+ guys.
Underlined are those between 26 & 30
I think 4-5 vets, 5 almost vets, and 8-9 youngins is a good mix.
In answer to your question, it is because they are unproven. Callahan, while he looks like a keeper, has not even played a half season in the NHL. Dubinsky has played what, a couple games? Look at that second line...that's a real gamble after coming within 2 games of the ECF this year...when we all know we needed to get more production from that line. Add Dawes and Bourret and there's a big chance we don't make the playoffs next year. I'm not saying these kids aren't going to be good...but this team is built to win now. They are only a couple of pieces away from winning it all. Dubinsky, Dawes and Bourret MIGHT be those pieces, but it's a HUGE risk. None of these guys are Sidney or Alex.

Old
05-15-2007, 11:02 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Option D

Investing millions into Chris Drury is the answer.The New York State Police need to put out a missing persons report for Drury.He has been invisible in Ottawa series.Did anyone see Jason Spezza beat Drury on the faceoff in OT of game 2?That was pathetic.I was watching last night and you could not find Drury on the ice.No shots on goal.No hits.Brutal PP.

Even Briere.He saw his icetime slashed in game 1

Let the Flyers and the Sabres give them their retirement contracts

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:04 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Right, there are some great talents on that list. What I didn't understand was what pld459666 meant when he said that these guys would not "be available to sign without giving anything up off our current group of players/prospects." If they are UFAs after next summer (when I said this season I meant the one coming up) I don't see how it will cost us anything.
Get ready to hear this "wait until next summer" list EVERY single year. While that list is enticing, almost all of them will get resigned.

I expect a Savard/Gomez (1a talent) to be available every offseason, I think you'll see a real franchise player go to the UFA market every 3 years.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:09 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
the rangers should focus on 2ed tier free agents, like the past few years. they signed guys like cullen, ward and strudwick. i dont think they will sign a drury or briere. they could sign a guy like Pyatt, Hartnell, and use Immonen or Dubinsky as a centre on the team. we can use more size on the wing. Hartnell is 25 years old, one of the younger ufa. On d, maybe a player like Cory Sarich to replace Rachunek. He played with Mara on the Bolts. A player like Vishnevski and Salvador would also not be a bad option as well. I suspect Sather to something like this.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:11 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Get ready to hear this "wait until next summer" list EVERY single year. While that list is enticing, almost all of them will get resigned.
That's because the lists will be getting bigger and better each year as a result of the new CBA. And you state that "almost all of them will get re-signed." True, but we only need 1 of them.

Old
05-15-2007, 11:18 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
the rangers should focus on 2ed tier free agents, like the past few years. they signed guys like cullen, ward and strudwick. i dont think they will sign a drury or briere. they could sign a guy like Pyatt, Hartnell, and use Immonen or Dubinsky as a centre on the team. we can use more size on the wing. Hartnell is 25 years old, one of the younger ufa. On d, maybe a player like Cory Sarich to replace Rachunek. He played with Mara on the Bolts. A player like Vishnevski and Salvador would also not be a bad option as well. I suspect Sather to something like this.
You do realize the Rangers have many of their defensemen signed for next season

Tyutin
Girardi
Roszival
Mara
Malik
Pock

Then you have Staal

Where are some of the guys you mentioned going to play?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:26 AM
94now

I just don't get it why the choice has to be made. Those options are not being the mutual exclusions. All 4 could be done. I now started thinking the way Devils fans were doing for years: as long as we got Lundqvist, we gonna be alright regardless of option chosen.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:20 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

If we're gonna wait until 2008, we have got to sign Heatley. He is truly one of the best players in the league. We should definately leave a bit of cap space for one major UFA signing that year. At the same time, we should not count of it, because remember a few seasons ago when everyone though there would be a ton of talented free agents, and they all resigned. Its not a good idea to bank of one offseason. This year if we don't want to spend a ton and sign a guy to a 1 year contract, we could go for a guy like Paul Kariya, who would definately be less expensive. The problematic thing in pursuing Drury, Briere and Gomez is that these players are not 6-7 million dollar players and are not that young. These guys should not make more than 4.5 million. I'd like an extra dman as well because I'm not convinced we're gritty enough or skilled enough. We have alot of 3,4,5,6 guys who can hit a little and score a little. The only guys I'd like to keep for the long haul are Dan Girardi, Michal Roszival, and Tyutin. Slats will not hesitate to throw dead weight to the minors so if we sign a guy like Scott Hannan or Brian Rafalski and Marek Malik, or Paul Mara looks like crap I don't think Slats hesitates to send them down. I personally don't think Staal makes the team. I have a feeling they will put him through 1 year of the AHL and if he looks ready maybe call him up.

Last edited by ChrisKreider20: 05-15-2007 at 12:35 PM.
ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:35 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I just don't get it why the choice has to be made. Those options are not being the mutual exclusions. All 4 could be done. I now started thinking the way Devils fans were doing for years: as long as we got Lundqvist, we gonna be alright regardless of option chosen.
Well, honestly I don't see all 4 being done. Are we really going to sign Drury, trade for Lecavalier, and then let the kids play? Probably not. I mean it's possible, but unlikely. The goal of this thread was really to see how fans want the team to move forward. While it's true that these 4 options are not mutually exclusive, in all liklihood the team gameplan will have them moving in one particular direction.

Old
05-15-2007, 01:06 PM
dank

this one:

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 01:09 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
Wow, right now more votes for us to use the youth and not go UFA.... shocking considering that most of the posts I read have Dury/Gomez/Briere on the first or second line of next years line up....

Silent majority?
I think the UFA surge is just a natural reaction to losing a series. You are hurting and are willing to do anything to get over the hump.

I have to be beating a dead horse at this point but we should really go into next year with this same line up and deal for whatever parts we need at the deadline. Think about it. This year's team didn't come together until mid-Feb after the Avery/Mara trades, why do we have to have a contender lineup in place in October? We don't even know what our needs will be until later in the season anyway. As others have pointed out, we have too much in the prospect line. It won't kill us to unload some in a trade for a bonafide #1 center or D come February or deal for a pending UFA that fills a need temporarily. This course also allows you to look at your prospects that are ready this coming season.

So we can still contend for a cup, play our prospects, save cap room for '08, address our true needs when the arise. Sounds good to me.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
My sentiments almost to a tee. Not one of those three are going to be worth spending a max contract on, at least not from a Ranger standpoint.
NONE of those 3 will get a max contract.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 01:55 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I think the UFA surge is just a natural reaction to losing a series. You are hurting and are willing to do anything to get over the hump.

I have to be beating a dead horse at this point but we should really go into next year with this same line up and deal for whatever parts we need at the deadline. Think about it. This year's team didn't come together until mid-Feb after the Avery/Mara trades, why do we have to have a contender lineup in place in October? We don't even know what our needs will be until later in the season anyway. As others have pointed out, we have too much in the prospect line. It won't kill us to unload some in a trade for a bonafide #1 center or D come February or deal for a pending UFA that fills a need temporarily. This course also allows you to look at your prospects that are ready this coming season.

So we can still contend for a cup, play our prospects, save cap room for '08, address our true needs when the arise. Sounds good to me.

I think we'd better off trying to fill the top line center hole long before the deadline. To me trading for the player or signing him is almost a whatever. What's apparent to me is we only have one center (Nylander and that's if he signs) who is capable of producing on a top line level. Dependent of course on whether Shanny comes back or whoever we use as wings on the second line we have a need for a player who can set them up. We need a more diversified attack. That lesson was learned after 05-06 but only half addressed in 06-07. We need to go the rest of the way. It would slot Cullen in on the third line with Prucha, Avery, Callahan or whoever it is who drops down from the second line. That kind of move should give us three effective--in an offensive sense--lines. Don't want to sign a UFA--that's fine--but then we need to make a trade--which might cost a roster player or two or some prospects. We have enough of them though and we have a need.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Heatley, Thornton, Hossa, Iginla, those are the kind of guys worth 6 years at 7 million dollars.
HOSSA? HAH! That's laughable.

You want to talk about someone being invisible, look no further than Marian "Houdini" Hossa.

Old
05-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post

hate to beat a dead horse as well but..

I agree 110 %.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Aaron Ward? Adam Hall?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:32 PM
blue2noise

I think the real answer is an intelligent mix of all four options.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 03:02 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
What do you mean by this? All 4 are UFA's after this season. IF, and that's obviously a big IF, they decide to go the free agency route we can sign one without giving up anything in return. Or are you saying that they will re-sign with their current clubs and as a result we'd have to trade for them? I'm not sure why they would want to re-sign if they want to go somewhere else though.
Ok, you're the GM of any one of San Jose, Atlanta, Calgary or Ottawa and you have a choice to make regarding the players in question.

Do you deal them before they test the waters? Or do let them walk via UFA (all the while trying to sign them)??

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that we are not going to hape to part with assets to first acquire their services and then hope that we can re-sign them without letting them walk themselves.

The bottom line is that Atlanat is not going to let Hossa walk and with the moves they made they need to wrap him up long-term to ensure that they remain somewhat competitive.

Heatley in Ottawa is also not going anywhere. They will usher Alfredsson out the door before they let the Heater walk.

Joe Thornton is a player that I actually don't want to see here in NY, one of the best in the league no doubt, but when he gets pissy he really mails it in and he's really not someone I want my youth learning the game from.

Iginla I like, but he's the face of that franchise and the only way he leaves is if the Flames choose Kipper over him, and to be honest, I don't see that happening.

So, what are you willing to pay for the player, then what are you willing to pay the player? Let's think Sanguinetti, Montoya and a 1st for any one of those players and then sign them to 5-7 year contracts at 7 mil per.

That is insane, but that is probably the scenario and one that I'd be very uncomfortable with.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 03:11 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
In answer to your question, it is because they are unproven. Callahan, while he looks like a keeper, has not even played a half season in the NHL. Dubinsky has played what, a couple games? Look at that second line...that's a real gamble after coming within 2 games of the ECF this year...when we all know we needed to get more production from that line. Add Dawes and Bourret and there's a big chance we don't make the playoffs next year. I'm not saying these kids aren't going to be good...but this team is built to win now. They are only a couple of pieces away from winning it all. Dubinsky, Dawes and Bourret MIGHT be those pieces, but it's a HUGE risk. None of these guys are Sidney or Alex.
Agree. It seems to me at least over the short term of the next season or two the guys most likely to be replaced by the Bourret's, Dawes' and Dubinsky's are more likely to be the Hollweg's, Hossa's and Bett's. In any case Jagr for one and Avery (for Gomez) for another are already putting their two cents in--and in Jagr's case keeping him happy means status quo be damned we need to stop experimenting and get a second line in gear.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 03:39 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
HOSSA? HAH! That's laughable.

You want to talk about someone being invisible, look no further than Marian "Houdini" Hossa.
you do realize that he's already had shoulder surgery right?

I think that even the great Jagr would have been invisable while playing with a shoulder that needed surgery...wait a minute...you get what i'm saying right?

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
you do realize that he's already had shoulder surgery right?

I think that even the great Jagr would have been invisable while playing with a shoulder that needed surgery...wait a minute...you get what i'm saying right?
I thought the shoulder surgery thing wasn't even happening. He played in the Worlds right after the playoffs.

He's been awful in the playoffs since his Ottawa days. You do realize that, right?

Old
05-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Nemchinov13

Option D. Give kids a chance. Although, I don't think that Dubinsky is ready - he played agressively, but he was still very raw. He'll need at least another year in Hfd, IMO. I think he'll be ready for the 2008-2009 season. For the next season, I'm willing to see Avery/Straka as 2nd line centers.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote