HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Janne Niskala

Old
02-20-2007, 04:18 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 500
Janne Niskala

Janne Niskale are in talks with Nashville about a possible move in the summer. He is under contract for one more season with his current club Färjestad BK but I belive he have a NHL-clasule in the contract. He was approached a few years ago but was offerd the NHL minimun, he wants more, something he might get after the stuff he is doing in the SEL.
So far he have been a record breaking D-man offensivly in the SEL this season. Scoring and assisting almost every game.

If he comes over to you all I can say is enjoy even do he cant defend very well.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Janne Niskale are in talks with Nashville about a possible move in the summer. He is under contract for one more season with his current club Färjestad BK but I belive he have a NHL-clasule in the contract. He was approached a few years ago but was offerd the NHL minimun, he wants more, something he might get after the stuff he is doing in the SEL.
So far he have been a record breaking D-man offensivly in the SEL this season. Scoring and assisting almost every game.

If he comes over to you all I can say is enjoy even do he cant defend very well.
we've got enough two-way dmen that hopefully we can say good bye to Zidlicky ... when he's not scoring he's absolutely useless on the ice

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:40 PM
johnny_rudeboy

He is mostly one way...

He was asked why he became a defender since he have such a nice wrister and he said he was a forward when he was young but the one in his team who could skate backward the fastest so he become a defender. He is not terrible in his own zone but not some one you let in charge of a PK... but on the PP, wow.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 06:15 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
we've got enough two-way dmen that hopefully we can say good bye to Zidlicky ... when he's not scoring he's absolutely useless on the ice
I'm more worried about keeping the forward/center pipeline full in case we lose a few guys to bigger money in a couple years.

But he sounds good. Maybe we can sign him and trade him for Upshall?

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I'm more worried about keeping the forward/center pipeline full in case we lose a few guys to bigger money in a couple years.
Agreed, but this move might allow us to move Zidlicky during the summer to have more money to retain our free agents (Kariya, Hartnell, Timonen, and now Forsberg and Vishnevsky). Moving Zidlicky and Mason this summer (if Niskala or Klein can step in for Zids and if Rinne is ready to backup full-time next season) will allow us to make a good offer for all three of our aforementioned "original" free agents and/or allow us to make a play for Forsberg or Vishnevsky instead of one of the original three.

Quote:
Maybe we can sign him and trade him for Upshall?
Why in the world would we want to do that? Upshall was buried in depth here at the wings and needed a change of scenery due to the frustration level caused by his consistent string of injuries since being drafted. I wish Scotty the best and really think he will click in Philadelphia, but I don't think it would be right for either party (Nashville or Upshall) to get him back in the navy and gold.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 08:05 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Agreed, but this move might allow us to move Zidlicky during the summer to have more money to retain our free agents (Kariya, Hartnell, Timonen, and now Forsberg and Vishnevsky). Moving Zidlicky and Mason this summer (if Niskala or Klein can step in for Zids and if Rinne is ready to backup full-time next season) will allow us to make a good offer for all three of our aforementioned "original" free agents and/or allow us to make a play for Forsberg or Vishnevsky instead of one of the original three.

Why in the world would we want to do that? Upshall was buried in depth here at the wings and needed a change of scenery due to the frustration level caused by his consistent string of injuries since being drafted. I wish Scotty the best and really think he will click in Philadelphia, but I don't think it would be right for either party (Nashville or Upshall) to get him back in the navy and gold.
Well, the Upshall crack was just a little joke. But along the lines of that "buried in the depth chart" can change in a hurry depending on a teams free agent situation. But still just a joke.

Thanks for the free agent mentions. I wasn't sure who was up thus why I said "a couple years" thinking that a couple of those guys were up next year along with Legwand. I figured this year we could afford the signings, but's it more then I thought.

I'd like Timonen back, but not at much bigger if at all then what he currently makes since he'll maybe start an age related decline if he hasn't already. Kariya, for a modest raise maybe has a couple more solid seasons left I would think. I can't see how we could break the bank and resign Forsberg, but it'd be nice if he wanted to stay for a bit less then he could get on the open market. Everybody in Nashville treat him real nice ya hear?

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think it would be a mistake not to sign Niskala. This guy is at the least an above average prospect defenseman. We should sign him to a two year 700k deal......or something along those lines and see how he fits in. Who knows, we could be in for a surprise....

02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think it would be a mistake not to sign Niskala. This guy is at the least an above average prospect defenseman. We should sign him to a two year 700k deal......or something along those lines and see how he fits in. Who knows, we could be in for a surprise....
same could be said about Mr. Jr Goal Scorer in Sweden (Hornqvist)

Old
05-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Pablo

According to Iltasanomat "the contract is sealed" for next season. Niskala didn't verify it though.

Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
According to Iltasanomat "the contract is sealed" for next season. Niskala didn't verify it though.
Does that mean he is or isn't coming to Nashville?

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Jude

Quote:
Does that mean he is or isn't coming to Nashville?
Is coming

Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Does this mean we're trading Zidlicky? ...

Old
05-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Jarnberg

To me it looks like this means we will not be resigning Timonen.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
To me it looks like this means we will not be resigning Timonen.
whatever helps freeing up money to bring a veteran defensive defenseman ... I'm down

Old
05-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Its always good to bring in a high-caliber defensive prospect. Now....if we can just keep Koistenen here and bring over Stehlik, Sulzer, Shafigulin, Laakso, and Glazachev.......I believe that would complete the Euro quintet with moderate talent (although Glazachev and Stehlik are all but busts at this point.)

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
whatever helps freeing up money to bring a veteran defensive defenseman ... I'm down
We'll see if Poile does...

Old
05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Its always good to bring in a high-caliber defensive prospect. Now....if we can just keep Koistenen here and bring over Stehlik, Sulzer, Shafigulin, Laakso, and Glazachev.......I believe that would complete the Euro quintet with moderate talent (although Glazachev and Stehlik are all but busts at this point.)
He had a very disappointing season in 07. Doubt that he could do much for the Preds.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 01:33 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I know Niskala had a 19 and 21 goal season but how well does he do on the defensive end? Are the Preds just getting a cheaper version of Zids? And if so, I won't cry about it.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I know Niskala had a 19 and 21 goal season but how well does he do on the defensive end? Are the Preds just getting a cheaper version of Zids? And if so, I won't cry about it.
I take it you are assuming we dump Zidlicky and bring in another vet?

Old
05-15-2007, 01:38 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I believe the Preds are gonna find a sucker for Zidlicky and get a sizeable return. Hell, would it be far fetched to simply trade him to the Flyers for J. Timonen to be the 7th defensemen and a 4th? Use the cash to sign Kimmo and then have both brothers in the system?

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 01:38 PM
AdmiralPred

So... Koistinen but with more of a shot than playmaking skills?

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I believe the Preds are gonna find a sucker for Zidlicky and get a sizeable return. Hell, would it be far fetched to simply trade him to the Flyers for J. Timonen to be the 7th defensemen and a 4th? Use the cash to sign Kimmo and then have both brothers in the system?
Jussi couldn't crack a very bad Flyers lineup for long, this year. The whole "Timonen wants to sign in Philly to be with his brother" thing has been shot down by even Flyers fans at this point, because they feel there's something wrong if Jussi Timonen ever makes their team.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 03:17 PM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Is Koistenin (sp?) ready for the NHL? When we needed bodies we used Klein and Brookbank.

Is bringing Niskala over like Lehtonen? A tryout to see how he does and if not he can go to MIL or back to Europe...

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29 View Post
Is Koistenin (sp?) ready for the NHL? When we needed bodies we used Klein and Brookbank.
Koistinen plays a tad bit different style compared to Klein and Brookbank. We saw Brookbank brought up for a phsyical presence to make up for Weber going down. Hence if Zidlicky or Kimmo were down for a bit of time, I think we would see Koistinen brought up. He lost the roster spot battle to Lehtonen early on, however I'm not sure how much difference there was between the two before Lehtonen got traded and the point became mute.

Quote:
Is bringing Niskala over like Lehtonen? A tryout to see how he does and if not he can go to MIL or back to Europe...
No one is sure Niskala has even signed yet, but I'm sure we'll see if the deal is announced. Once would assume he'd have an option to jet to Europe if he couldn't make the team, although he is younger than Lehtonen was when he was brought over.

Old
05-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
I think we might have a tough time getting someone to take Zidlicky after his disappointing season and if we do, the package will be watered down due to his season and his salary.

More so, I couldn't see us trading him for J. Timonen. He wouldn't do anything for us. If we were to trade Zidlicky, it would be for a draft pick or perhaps a third liner.