HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which road map do you want the Rangers to follow?

View Poll Results: What direction should the Rangers go in?
Option A (UFA NOW) 33 34.74%
Option B (BLOCKBUSTER TRADE NOW) 13 13.68%
Option C (STOPGAP NOW, BIG UFA LATER) 12 12.63%
Option D (STAND PAT, PLAY THE KIDS) 37 38.95%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-15-2007, 04:21 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
I thought the shoulder surgery thing wasn't even happening. He played in the Worlds right after the playoffs.

He's been awful in the playoffs since his Ottawa days. You do realize that, right?

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 04:24 PM
pld459666

Quote:
I thought the shoulder surgery thing wasn't even happening. He played in the Worlds right after the playoffs.

He's been awful in the playoffs since his Ottawa days. You do realize that, right?
I'll give you that he's had a few no shows in his career in the PO's, but he's also had 2 solid PO's as well

As for playing in the Worlds, no he didn't play. Here's a link to the Czech roster.

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/teams....ihwc?team=CZE

Old
05-15-2007, 04:26 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'll give you that he's had a few no shows in his career in the PO's, but he's also had 2 solid PO's as well

As for playing in the Worlds, no he didn't play. Here's a link to the Czech roster.

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/teams....ihwc?team=CZE
Uhh, that's because he's a Slovak. Not Czech.

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/teams....ihwc?team=SVK

He is on the Slovak roster. Had 6 points in 6 games.

6 more points than he had this year.

I think the shoulder surgery thing was a BS coverup of his ****** playoff.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 04:34 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Uhh, that's because he's a Slovak. Not Czech.

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/teams....ihwc?team=SVK

He is on the Slovak roster. Had 6 points in 6 games.

6 more points than he had this year.

I think the shoulder surgery thing was a BS coverup of his ****** playoff.
was looking at this http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com...layer.cgi?1098

and didn't notice the (now Slovakia) part and didn't even look there.

well, he had a **** series then. can't argue that

Old
05-15-2007, 04:37 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
well, he had a **** series then. can't argue that
Yep. He was simply dreadful. He's a playoff no show for the most part and I'm really against giving guys like him huge contracts. AFAIC, he isn't worth what he's getting paid now.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yep. He was simply dreadful. He's a playoff no show for the most part and I'm really against giving guys like him huge contracts. AFAIC, he isn't worth what he's getting paid now.
i think playoff noshows is a bunch of crap. this is no offense to you or anything like that, but i hate looking at a stretch of 4 games, and saying. wow, he didnt score in those 4 games, he must suck. first and foremost this gives absolutely NO credit to the other team for keying on that player, second it such a tiny sample size its almost meaningless, third, if a team is so dependant on that 1 guy coming up big time and again, that must mean the TEAM around him sucks.

our system is designed to protect the team from that, it allows the team to win 1-0 games, while still allowing the creativity to score big time.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 09:44 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i think playoff noshows is a bunch of crap. this is no offense to you or anything like that, but i hate looking at a stretch of 4 games, and saying. wow, he didnt score in those 4 games, he must suck. first and foremost this gives absolutely NO credit to the other team for keying on that player, second it such a tiny sample size its almost meaningless, third, if a team is so dependant on that 1 guy coming up big time and again, that must mean the TEAM around him sucks.

our system is designed to protect the team from that, it allows the team to win 1-0 games, while still allowing the creativity to score big time.
I hear what you are saying, and for the most part I agree with you, but he (Hossa) has played in 6 playoff series and has done well in just 2 of them. But for the most part I do agree that one series doesn't make a choker, OTOH, four playoff series where you have a player disappear is a good indication of choker

Old
05-15-2007, 11:11 PM
blue425

Maybe maybe maybe I'd be willing to test the UFA waters NEXT year. I tend to agree that this years crop is meh. I any I take a shot with Gomez based on his age and that he *should* have a bunch of years left in him.

Other then that.

Stick

With

The

Kids

I don't see Sather wavering now.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
No Free Agents unless someone really fits our system, and they would be realitivly cheap

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 01:03 AM
broadwayblue

I think I'm coming around to the stop gap option. If we can sign Forsberg to a 1 year deal I don't see how it could hurt. Briere and Drury, while nice players, are not worth 5 year deals at 6 mil/per. If we're going to spend 6 mil on a guy for a longterm deal it should be for an elite player.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 01:55 AM
Cake or Death

vCash:
IMHO, the best thing the Rangers can do is nothing. The team hit its stride BIG-TIME at the end of the season and was excellent in the playoffs, as well. Before I would make any move or tamper with chemistry, I'd first like to see what this team can do with guys like Avery, Staal, Callahan and Mara in the lineup from day one of the season. This could very well be a 105-110 point team exactly as it is.

IF that doesn't work out, then PATIENTLY make an intelligent move during the season. And even if it does work out, and a potential move can improve the team, then patiently make an intelligent move.

I am all for speculation, but this team was exceptional the last third of the season and right on into the playoffs. We do not -- in any way, shape or form -- need to rush anything or make hasty decisions.

Old
05-28-2007, 02:09 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
IMHO, the best thing the Rangers can do is nothing. The team hit its stride BIG-TIME at the end of the season and was excellent in the playoffs, as well. Before I would make any move or tamper with chemistry, I'd first like to see what this team can do with guys like Avery, Staal, Callahan and Mara in the lineup from day one of the season. This could very well be a 105-110 point team exactly as it is.

IF that doesn't work out, then PATIENTLY make an intelligent move during the season. And even if it does work out, and a potential move can improve the team, then patiently make an intelligent move.

I am all for speculation, but this team was exceptional the last third of the season and right on into the playoffs. We do not -- in any way, shape or form -- need to rush anything or make hasty decisions.
I agree with most of what you said, but you do have to agree with 1 thing. The lack of a #1 center has really really hurt this team. Even if you assume Nylander is a #1, we have no number 2 then. Straka is not nearly as good down the middle as he is on the wing, Avery loses his ability to forecheck deep and hard if he plays center, Betts is probably the worst passer in our conference, and Cullen is a "me-first" offensive player.

the addition of a #1 center to this team could potentially turn it into a presidents trophy winning team (if all goes just right)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 03:14 AM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
I agree with most of what you said, but you do have to agree with 1 thing. The lack of a #1 center has really really hurt this team. Even if you assume Nylander is a #1, we have no number 2 then. Straka is not nearly as good down the middle as he is on the wing, Avery loses his ability to forecheck deep and hard if he plays center, Betts is probably the worst passer in our conference, and Cullen is a "me-first" offensive player.

the addition of a #1 center to this team could potentially turn it into a presidents trophy winning team (if all goes just right)
I can't disagree with you at all. But in all this discussion in here of Forsberg, Gomez, Drury, etc, I'd rather leave them all alone and if we do something, for God's sake, do it patiently and intelligently. The Avery pickup was an outstanding move, for instance, and it was done smartly, with a great feel for an addition that would add to the team and improve it, without hurting the team or diminishing chemistry.

Also, and this seems to be somewhat lost in here, but while we don't have an elite number one center, we DO have an extremely elite forward, who is as good or better than almost any forward in this league. And that's a huge thing. Not to mention, few teams in our division/conference are gonna hand us the keys to the Rolls by tossing us a franchise center to pair up with Jagr, so our trade options may be a bit more limited than we might collectively think. But it can't hurt to dream of Brad Richards or Olli Jokinen like guys, I suppose.

Ultimately, we can speculate all we want, and that's fine. But I think Rangers' management, from the GM down to the coaches, showed a lot of patience, control and poise last season, and I am confident that they will identify any weaknesses this season and adjust accordingly. But there's always this little part of me, because of 1998-04, who is scared of quick-trigger moves. So I just wanna see the continuance of patience, control and poise, and I think we'll be golden.