HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

What do you think the "Change in 07" means?

Old
05-07-2007, 04:33 PM
PSUhockey34

vCash: 500
our 1st and 2nd line pivots next season are going to consist of Backstrom and whatever else is in the system

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Xaroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
our 1st and 2nd line pivots next season are going to consist of Backstrom and whatever else is in the system
I certainly hope not. We need to pickup a veteran center. It doesn't have to be Briere/Gomez/Drury (too much money anyway) but we need a competent at least 2nd line guy who can be pressed into first line duty until Backstrom is ready. Nylander, Cromrie, Kozlov, Stumple, etc. fit the bill. I am a supporter of the rebuild and an optimist and if we end up with Backstrom and whoever happens to be around like last year I am going to change sides as will pretty much every fan out there.

Xaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Jasper17

Why does it have to be a veteran center? Why does everyone seem to think that only a vet center will do?

Do the Caps lack some leadership, sure. But not nearly as much as they lack talent.

I would much rather get a center around 23/24 with 2 or 3 years experience in the NHL. A guy like Vermette, or Steen would be perfect IMO. Someone who although isn't a elite center, someone who is a good top 6 center who can play with this team for another 5 years at least.

Especially if we give up major assets like the 1st rd pick to aquire this top 6 center.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
I disagree, the one thing that is perfectly clear is that other than Backstrom the Caps do not have a top 6 center in the org.

Old
05-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
then mcphee gets canned.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:30 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
Why does it have to be a veteran center? Why does everyone seem to think that only a vet center will do?

Do the Caps lack some leadership, sure. But not nearly as much as they lack talent.

I would much rather get a center around 23/24 with 2 or 3 years experience in the NHL. A guy like Vermette, or Steen would be perfect IMO. Someone who although isn't a elite center, someone who is a good top 6 center who can play with this team for another 5 years at least.

Especially if we give up major assets like the 1st rd pick to aquire this top 6 center.
Please, oh please GMGM, make this happen. I would be ecstatic. The Caps' top two lines would be set for the next 5 years, I don't care who plays on the right wings. But then again, I love Vermette's game and have a higher opinion of Steen's upside than most, so maybe I'm a bit overconfident in that.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:51 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

i back vermette. and steen.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 05:11 AM
PSUhockey34

it's one of those I'll believe it when I see it

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 07:38 AM
txpd

"Originally Posted by Japser17

Especially if we give up major assets like the 1st rd pick to aquire this top 6 center."

The reason that it needs to be a veteran center is that the team needs some answers rather than changing the questions. They also need more veteran stabilty on the ice with each shift.

"We want to go into the season next year more on an upswing, not with a lot of questions," owner Ted Leonsis. If they choose a Vermette or Steen, there would be a lot of questions as to whether this player was ready or was capable of delivering the kind of play required to be a first line center. If they sign a player with an established track record like a Gomez or a Comrie or a Kozlov, they will have a player that they can reasonably expect to come with a certain level of play because he has a fairly established track record.

The established player is also a player that the locker room knows is a good player, not hopes is a good player. The difference in team confidence between having a known commodity and a developing situation is considerable.

The Capitals also need to increase the number of experienced players on the ice at a given time and the quality of those players. That leads to more stability shift to shift and fewer mistakes based on youth. More players that can read the play because they have seen it for years.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

The problem with Vermette and Steen is that their current clubs have zero reason to move them.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Langway
Intangibles

I tend to agree with txpd on the need for veterans that'd bring more immediate help, while creating different expectations and changing the culture of the locker room. Upgrading talent is always what you look to do but I have to think that a combination of skill and experience/stability/maturity will be preferred when possible (both up front and on the blueline). Ideally, the Caps try to land a 27-29 y/o guy in his prime, experienced yet still not over the arc of his career. The Caps' skilled leadership up front is basically Chris Clark. That's it, and he's never played a huge role on another team prior to joining the Caps. Ovechkin may start to become more of a vocal leader but his determination level isn't quite there yet to carry the team over the long haul as it's currently constituted.

The problem with adding a Vermette or Steen is: who would play with Ovechkin next year? Backstrom could suprise and show that he's ready for the top line next season but that's uncertain. Neither Vermette nor Steen have shown (to me, at least) to be much of an upgrade over Zubrus in the short-term (though I agree over the long-term they look like they'll become decent second-line centers). I admire the patience inherent in that type of center target but the Caps really need substantial help to become a contender while their core is still fairly young (except Kolzig, of course) and affordable. That requires both experience/stability/maturity and skill in whatever center they acquire.

If GMGM either has Klepis/Beech/Laich or another fairly inexperienced center besides Backstrom seeing significant top 6 time on the roster next year then their prospects for success will be limited. GMGM has to be a little more bold than that and get a piece in place that can immediately help Ovechkin start to flourish and reach the next level as an offensive force. Otherwise, there's a real danger of Ovechkin having another fairly frustrating season in terms of his overall development.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Jasper17

You can get a young player that can be an immediate help, a guy with 2 or 3 years experience is fine as far as I am concerned.

The problem with this team isn't a lack of vet leadership. The lack of a Gary Roberts type is not the reason why this team didn't make the playoffs this past season, and it won't be the reason they miss the playoffs next year (if they do). It was a lack of talent.

People act like some vet leadership is all this team needs to turn the corner. No they don't, they need better players.

Old
05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
People act like some vet leadership is all this team needs to turn the corner. No they don't, they need better players.

What 'people'? I don't see anyone advocating bringing in some 35+ y/o vets that are over the hill just for their leadership and experience. That's a final touches-type of addition...like a Brian Bellows or Esa Tikkanen kind of addition.

What the Caps really need are players that bring both an upgrade in experience (what it takes to win in the NHL and play at a consistent, high level) AND talent level (while still having productive years ahead of them). Those would be the best of the 'better players' we all agree the team needs to add.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 03:35 PM
golgoXIII

Backstrom

Do you think Backstrom will stay in Sweden in 2007-2008 ? cause if he stay there caps will have a serious probleme at center.

golgoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 03:46 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
From all indications he will be with the caps this next season. I would imagine we would get an contract agreement announcement shortly of the WCs. But yeah if the unimaginable happens and he isn't with the caps next season there will be more work done to get yet another center. Though I would say 95% chance backstrom will be with the caps...you can take that to the bank!

05-09-2007, 05:59 PM
golgoXIII

whouou!!!!

golgoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Kegger

vCash: 510
washcaps.com

(Square snapshot of the red jerseys on the frontpage)

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:36 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheechooTrain View Post
washcaps.com

(Square snapshot of the red jerseys on the frontpage)
? I'm not seeing anything.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 02:51 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
? I'm not seeing anything.
I think he's referring to this...

Doesnt really show much....aside from colors we already knew about.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 04:19 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
I will be shocked if they don't sign a C.

It would be a huge gaff for Leonsis after the promises he made following the Zubrus trade.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I will be shocked if they don't sign a C.

It would be a huge gaff for Leonsis after the promises he made following the Zubrus trade.
I wouldn't be shocked, maybe slightly disappointed. I never heard/read anything about Leonsis promising to sign a center. If anything Leonsis distanced himself from that idea by talking about how the team wants to fill holes from within first, and then by trade.

I say its 50/50 the Caps bring in a top 6 center, either through free agency or trade.

Old
05-15-2007, 09:48 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I think the change in 07 means that we will be bringing in a potential top center, and we did that with Backstrom. Couple that with the new uni's and I think those are the big changes for next year. I dont see us making a huge free agent splash like last summer...err at least i certainly hope not.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

they'll bring someone in, I just have a feeling the quality is going to be marginal at best.

Which means another year wasted of Ovechkin.

I understand the wait around for the young players to get better... but if they don't make a concerted effort to get significantly better (with experience) in the near future, their free time with Semin and Ovechkin is going to be over and they'll lose them.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote