HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Steve Eminger

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-17-2007, 02:10 PM
  #51
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I would not be entirely surprised to see Pothier traded. His played to the level of his salary, but he didn't succede in filling either of the Caps hole in skill set. They need a defenseman that on the PP and at even strenth can put up numbers and command respect and attention from the opposition. Pothier didn't do that. They need a defenseman that can command respect and have a level of control in the defensive zone. Pothier doesn't do that either.

He was basically a fairly mistake free Eminger. Morrisonn, but smaller. Schultz but way smaller and more experienced. He was steady and reliable and a good middle of the lineup defenseman, but he is not a playmaker at either end of the ice.

The Caps are down to needing experience and playmakers. I could see the Caps trading Pothier and using his salary to take another crack at finding a playmaker in his price range.
I would love to trade Pothier if it allowed us to acquire two decent veteran defensemen who would help to develop Green and Eminger at the NHL level. The problem is that I don't know that there's a market for Pothier's services (even though I'd let him go for a 5th or futures or a marginal prospect). I also don't think it looks good when a team trades a UFA acquisition a year after signing him to a long-term deal. That could scare off some of the guys we are trying to sign.

I don't think Eminger's done anything to merit a trip out of town. It's the play of Schultz, Mo, and Jurcina that have completely changed the situation on D. At 23 I think it's far too early for us to write the kid off.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:13 PM
  #52
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
You know what, that would prob be best case scenario. I would rather trade Pothier than Eminger, however I just don't see that happening. Unless we trade him for Samsonov, i think the Habs will do anything to get rid of that contract.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:29 PM
  #53
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,327
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Where have you seen this offense?
The Atlanta Thrashers game in early January in overtime and many times in previous years. I think our D man and Eminber were told to stay back all year until our season was over in February.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 06:59 PM
  #54
malyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The City by the Bay
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Re: Green

I think that Green played ok for his rookie season. He made plenty of mistakes, but he also had some streaks of good play. For instance, during January (iirc), when the caps were struggling, Green went 12 games from mid-december to mid-january without being on the ice for an even strength goal against. Also he was a minus in only 7 out of 24 games from december 1 through january 31. He also finished with a better +/- then eminger and pothier. So he isn't a complete loss. They guy is 21. He needs some veteran help.

He certainly didn't perform as poorly or make as many mistakes as Heward who was a turnover/icing machine back there.

I'm also not certain that the current systems in place allow the D (or anyone) to do much of anything in terms of offense.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 08:10 AM
  #55
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Hi guys, I was just wondering what the status of Steve Eminger is? Seems like his stock has fallen a bit lately and is now behind some of the other defense prospects on the depth chart. What is wrong with him exactly, and would you call him a bust? Is he in the long term plans with the Capitals?
He'd be a great fit in Toronto....another Dman that'll cough up the puck. Mats is near the end...how bout an even swap?

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 05:45 PM
  #56
Yeti
HFBoards Partner
 
Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
To Washington: Vesa Toskala
To San Jose: Eminger

How much longer does Kolzig want to play? Just curious.

Thanks.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 05:59 AM
  #57
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,964
vCash: 500
Kolzig has indicated that he wants to play three more seasons. Til he is 40.
The Caps have things they need a whole lot more than a goalie at present.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:42 PM
  #58
dbui72
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Remember this article?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...17-eminger.htm

I truely believe if he was drafted by a good club like the Wings, you would be hearing his name as a future All Star.

I think he has a lot of potential in him and I like his many diving poke checks.

Basically he came here and was expected to shoulder the load of the future after the firesale.

On a good team he would have been eased in. I still have high hopes for him and think he will mature into a great player once our entire team, in general gets better. He is a vital component to complete our team, not a single solution like how everyone is talking or expecting.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:07 AM
  #59
CapitalPunishment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Maryland
Country: Armenia
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Eminger is awful.

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:10 AM
  #60
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbui72 View Post
Remember this article?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...17-eminger.htm

I truely believe if he was drafted by a good club like the Wings, you would be hearing his name as a future All Star.

I think he has a lot of potential in him and I like his many diving poke checks.

Basically he came here and was expected to shoulder the load of the future after the firesale.

On a good team he would have been eased in. I still have high hopes for him and think he will mature into a great player once our entire team, in general gets better. He is a vital component to complete our team, not a single solution like how everyone is talking or expecting.
Your facts are way off.

Eminger was drafted in 2002. He played his first NHL hockey in Washington as a 19 year old in a supporting role on a playoff team.

He played well in his role and because of injuries/the horrible play of Sylvain Cote, we kept him up for about a quarter of the season before returning him to Kitchener.

He would play his first full professional season as a 20 year old in 2003-2004. He was with Washington for the entire first half of the season. The 2003-2004 Capitals were supposed to challenge for the division. It was a strong team on paper with both Gonchar and Witt on D. Eminger played poorly and was sent to Hershey-partly because of his play and partly because the team was turning toxic.

From all reports in Portland, he was a bad citizen. He did not take his demotion well. He did not try hard, he did not apply himself, and his attitude was that he was above the AHL. 41 games played, 4 assists, -11. The 2003-2004 Pirates were a playoff team; granted Army was playing a crippling defensive system, but that is no excuse for the stinker Eminger posted that season.

Basically, you're wrong on every point. Eminger came here before the firesale, Eminger was eased into veteran playoff calibur teams. When the team went to hell, he was sent away to a more nurturing/winning environment for his protection. He was never asked to shoulder the load on a rebuilding team-that has been 100% Morrisonn's job, and he's not a bust. He's a 23 year old defenseman and I have full confidence that he will be a (borderline) first pairing defenseman in this league. I just happen to think it will happen in Western Canada; not DC.

Eminger sits where he is right now because of a bad attitude (that he may or may not have grown out of) and a lack of confidence. Both are correctible.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
  #61
Kegger
Moderator
 
Kegger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Texas
Country: Chile
Posts: 2,844
vCash: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Your facts are way off.

Eminger was drafted in 2002. He played his first NHL hockey in Washington as a 19 year old in a supporting role on a playoff team.

He played well in his role and because of injuries/the horrible play of Sylvain Cote, we kept him up for about a quarter of the season before returning him to Kitchener.

He would play his first full professional season as a 20 year old in 2003-2004. He was with Washington for the entire first half of the season. The 2003-2004 Capitals were supposed to challenge for the division. It was a strong team on paper with both Gonchar and Witt on D. Eminger played poorly and was sent to Hershey-partly because of his play and partly because the team was turning toxic.

From all reports in Portland, he was a bad citizen. He did not take his demotion well. He did not try hard, he did not apply himself, and his attitude was that he was above the AHL. 41 games played, 4 assists, -11. The 2003-2004 Pirates were a playoff team; granted Army was playing a crippling defensive system, but that is no excuse for the stinker Eminger posted that season.

Basically, you're wrong on every point. Eminger came here before the firesale, Eminger was eased into veteran playoff calibur teams. When the team went to hell, he was sent away to a more nurturing/winning environment for his protection. He was never asked to shoulder the load on a rebuilding team-that has been 100% Morrisonn's job, and he's not a bust. He's a 23 year old defenseman and I have full confidence that he will be a (borderline) first pairing defenseman in this league. I just happen to think it will happen in Western Canada; not DC.

Eminger sits where he is right now because of a bad attitude (that he may or may not have grown out of) and a lack of confidence. Both are correctible.
I picture Eminger thriving as a 4th man in type. Much like what has propelled Brian Campbell to where he is in Buffalo, pinching in deep, etc, et al...

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 03:32 PM
  #62
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbui72 View Post
Remember this article?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...17-eminger.htm

I truely believe if he was drafted by a good club like the Wings, you would be hearing his name as a future All Star.

I think he has a lot of potential in him and I like his many diving poke checks.

Basically he came here and was expected to shoulder the load of the future after the firesale.

On a good team he would have been eased in. I still have high hopes for him and think he will mature into a great player once our entire team, in general gets better. He is a vital component to complete our team, not a single solution like how everyone is talking or expecting.
Diving poke checks used as a last resort due to his poor anticipation and hockey sense that puts him out of position.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 12:56 AM
  #63
pga5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Your facts are way off.

Eminger was drafted in 2002. He played his first NHL hockey in Washington as a 19 year old in a supporting role on a playoff team.

He played well in his role and because of injuries/the horrible play of Sylvain Cote, we kept him up for about a quarter of the season before returning him to Kitchener.

He would play his first full professional season as a 20 year old in 2003-2004. He was with Washington for the entire first half of the season. The 2003-2004 Capitals were supposed to challenge for the division. It was a strong team on paper with both Gonchar and Witt on D. Eminger played poorly and was sent to Hershey-partly because of his play and partly because the team was turning toxic.

From all reports in Portland, he was a bad citizen. He did not take his demotion well. He did not try hard, he did not apply himself, and his attitude was that he was above the AHL. 41 games played, 4 assists, -11. The 2003-2004 Pirates were a playoff team; granted Army was playing a crippling defensive system, but that is no excuse for the stinker Eminger posted that season.

Basically, you're wrong on every point. Eminger came here before the firesale, Eminger was eased into veteran playoff calibur teams. When the team went to hell, he was sent away to a more nurturing/winning environment for his protection. He was never asked to shoulder the load on a rebuilding team-that has been 100% Morrisonn's job, and he's not a bust. He's a 23 year old defenseman and I have full confidence that he will be a (borderline) first pairing defenseman in this league. I just happen to think it will happen in Western Canada; not DC.

Eminger sits where he is right now because of a bad attitude (that he may or may not have grown out of) and a lack of confidence. Both are correctible.
Eminger was put on a veteran playoff caliber team; but that team stunk on defense for the most part. They were playing the Doigs and Kiwis because they flat out didn't want to pay the price for NHL defensemen. Along comes Eminger and gets tossed into a locker room with prima donnas and guys who shouldn't even been allowed in the locker room.
Eminger had a crap attitude when he was sent to Portland; of course, he probably was better than most of the players left behind in Washington after the fire sale. Then again, he needed experience, and he received it in Portland during the lockout. I would have liked to have seen how much better Eminger would have been if he had been on a team like the one they iced for Hershey these past two seasons. That would have been an ideal opportunity for him; Army was not a good developmental coach, and I think we are seeing the results of Army's work with some Caps who have not had the careers that they should have.
I would say Eminger received quite a bit of responsibility last season and it appeared early on that he might be up for it. His play started to decline; he suffered a serious leg injury, and he hasn't quite been the same since that particular injury. Since the Caps love to hide injuries, we'll probably not know for a while just how bad that injury was.
I think Eminger is one of those guys who has a lot of natural talent, but he thinks too much. When the guy gets pressured, he'll make a decent play, but he tends to get into trouble when he gets a lot of time to make plays. It's more than a little frustrating to see his talent come through (like the sweet pass he made to Semin in OT against Atlanta), then to see him absolutely blow a pass when no one is even near him.
It would also be nice to see him add some upper body strength...that would do him well as a defenseman.

pga5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.