HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Janne Niskala

Old
05-15-2007, 03:53 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I think we might have a tough time getting someone to take Zidlicky after his disappointing season and if we do, the package will be watered down due to his season and his salary.

More so, I couldn't see us trading him for J. Timonen. He wouldn't do anything for us. If we were to trade Zidlicky, it would be for a draft pick or perhaps a third liner.
Disappointing season or not, I think you're underrating Zidlicky pretty heavily. He's been more good than bad, and I think that with guys like Gonchar and Johnsson making 5 million...and Brad Stuart likely to get between 4.5 and 5...Zidlicky is a bargain for what he brings.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 09:31 PM
braindead

I think a team that needs a PP quarterback and has a top pair of more defensive d-men OR a woeful PP (and $ to spend) would find Zids to be a great addition. I'm in favor of trading him b/c we have more pressing needs but I think his passing skills are obvious and his shot, if featured on the PP, can still score. His salary is a drag on value but not fatal to a trade that returns value to the Preds.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Buffalo could really use Zidlicky on the PP....

05-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Buffalo could really use Zidlicky on the PP....
Buffalo could also use a physical defenseman with character.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 01:42 AM
braindead

Buffalo could use An*y *elmore on the PP right now. In fact, it's hard to imagine it getting any worse after throwing in ANY player that has laced them up in the NHL in the last.....3? 5?.... years.

Maybe this is too far off track but what would be the worst PP unit of current and former Preds-- beat Denny Lambert, Darcy Hordichuck, Jamie Allison along with Cale Hulse and Bill Houlder.

Old
05-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Disappointing season or not, I think you're underrating Zidlicky pretty heavily. He's been more good than bad, and I think that with guys like Gonchar and Johnsson making 5 million...and Brad Stuart likely to get between 4.5 and 5...Zidlicky is a bargain for what he brings.
I do think he simply had an off year. Zidlicky is incredible with the puck and the skill level is there. Somehow things didn't fall into place this year for Zidlicky.

I am probably being a bit too pessimistic with his trade value. I think its likely he gets traded after Free Agency after a team fails to get Timonen, Souray, etc. Perhaps that would make his value go up a tad bit. Or better yet a team wants to already have their guy before Free Agency and overpay.

Back to Niskala, if he does in fact sign with us, will he be able to step right in and run our PP? How comparable is he to Timonen?

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 09:59 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Buffalo could use An*y *elmore on the PP right now. In fact, it's hard to imagine it getting any worse after throwing in ANY player that has laced them up in the NHL in the last.....3? 5?.... years.

Maybe this is too far off track but what would be the worst PP unit of current and former Preds-- beat Denny Lambert, Darcy Hordichuck, Jamie Allison along with Cale Hulse and Bill Houlder.
If Patrick Cote isn't on that list, there's no point in even having this discussion. Since we are allowed to have forwards at the point, I chose him to replace Hulse.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 11:06 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I do think he simply had an off year. Zidlicky is incredible with the puck and the skill level is there. Somehow things didn't fall into place this year for Zidlicky.

I am probably being a bit too pessimistic with his trade value. I think its likely he gets traded after Free Agency after a team fails to get Timonen, Souray, etc. Perhaps that would make his value go up a tad bit. Or better yet a team wants to already have their guy before Free Agency and overpay.

Back to Niskala, if he does in fact sign with us, will he be able to step right in and run our PP? How comparable is he to Timonen?
It sounds to me like he's more of a Zidlicky clone than Timonen...perhaps with a more accurate shot. The last thing I read was that he was the classic 13th forward...slick skater, passer, shot...no defense to speak of.

Old
05-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
It sounds to me like he's more of a Zidlicky clone than Timonen...perhaps with a more accurate shot. The last thing I read was that he was the classic 13th forward...slick skater, passer, shot...no defense to speak of.
Yeah I looked him up a bit after I posted, I've read pretty much the same thing. Grr..

Zidlicky and Niskala on the PP... we'll score, but only after giving up 2 SHers...

Old
05-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Yeah I looked him up a bit after I posted, I've read pretty much the same thing. Grr..

Zidlicky and Niskala on the PP... we'll score, but only after giving up 2 SHers...
that's why you pair Niskala with either Weber OR UFA Defensive Dman & trade Zidlicky to free up that space to get said Dman

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
that's why you pair Niskala with either Weber OR UFA Defensive Dman & trade Zidlicky to free up that space to get said Dman
Simply a joke, not an actual combination

Old
05-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Faktisti*

timonen cant be traded? he is the captain of the team!

there are mayby little bit too much finnish defenders in nashville: timonen, koistinen, niskala..

what ever u do nashvill, plz trade zidlicky away. guy needs a new team, and this team needs new blood

Faktisti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuiskaaja View Post
timonen cant be traded? he is the captain of the team!

there are mayby little bit too much finnish defenders in nashville: timonen, koistinen, niskala..

what ever u do nashvill, plz trade zidlicky away. guy needs a new team, and this team needs new blood
correct, Timonen can't be traded ... he just won't be resigned ... and we'll probably trade away Zidlicky in the offseason and go after a Physical Defensive Defenseman that can play defense in the top 4

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Faktisti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
correct, Timonen can't be traded ... he just won't be resigned ... and we'll probably trade away Zidlicky in the offseason and go after a Physical Defensive Defenseman that can play defense in the top 4
ye sounds right.. so why dont u guys resign ossi väänänen? good defending defender and pretty cheap i gues

Old
05-16-2007, 02:21 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
ye sounds right.. so why dont u guys resign ossi väänänen? good defending defender and pretty cheap i gues
Vaananen is a guy i'd love to get

Old
05-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Possibly cheap, size, defensive defensemen, this is Poile we're talking about...

Old
05-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Nashville108*

Quote:
Possibly cheap, size, defensive defensemen, this is Poile we're talking about...
and he will probably be about 21. Poile loves to stockpile young D-men.

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Faktisti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville108 View Post
and he will probably be about 21. Poile loves to stockpile young D-men.
yep if i remember right he is like 25-27 years old so pretty young for a defender

Old
05-17-2007, 12:02 AM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
If Patrick Cote isn't on that list, there's no point in even having this discussion. Since we are allowed to have forwards at the point, I chose him to replace Hulse.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that anyone convicted of smuggling drugs over the US-Canadian border would only be allowed on my PK unit.

Old
05-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Phenomenon

Altough I hope he does, it is not sure that Niskala is able to claim a spot in Nashville's roster. The fact is that he sucked in Euro Hockey Tour when the level of the game was a knot higher than in SEL games and he was also among the first ones who got sent home from the WHC camp, although Finland had a weak defense in general with only two NHLers. I would not say that his overall play is in the same level as Zid's - not even Nummelin's (in the games I have seen).

His offensive skills and especially shot in the PP are something that every team would like to have, but on the other hand he might be a risk in the own end.

Last edited by Phenomenon: 05-19-2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Typos
Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

I have to say that I got the impression from Niskala's comments that he's willing to play in the AHL to learn the physical play if need be.

Last edited by Jussi: 05-23-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Foligno#71

Send a message via MSN to Foligno#71
According to a Swedish website (http://www.hockeysverige.se) he was signed by Nashville today.

I haven't seen any confirmation yet, though.

Foligno#71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Well, if the site is true, this is terrific news. We need to get all the guys over that we can....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
http://www.hockeyligan.se/nyheter.php?nid=11549 (the SEL's official site)

It says Färjestad GM Håkan Loob confirmed that Niskala has signed with Nashville.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 03:54 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I'm happy that we've imported these guys, I just wish we'd import more forwards... if we could find a way to bring Platonov back over I think he'd have a lot of success here. Stanislav Balan might as well, and Shafigulin HAS to get over here at some point (maybe we can woo him away from Russia at the prospect camp).

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote