HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

OT: Derek Fisher, wow

Old
05-10-2007, 09:03 AM
The Fuhr

vCash: 500
OT: Derek Fisher, wow

So I was watching the Utah vs. Golden State game yesterday. It was pretty good then halfway though the third quarter we see Derek Fisher arrive to the arena. He was away from the team due to a family emergency but we will get to that in a minute. So we see him stretching and getting ready off on the sideline, the crowed is already starting to cheer for him and when he comes in he gets a huge ovation. He plays solid in the remaining time and made a key defensive stop. The game goes to OT where he scores five points including a three pointer which put a dagger in the hearts of Golden State. An inspiring performance even more so after we find out.

The family illness turns out that his 10 month daughter underwent surgery that lasted close to 11 hours to remove a tumour that was in between her brain and eye. So he spent the day in NYC by his daughters side and then the surgery went so well, he, his wife and his daughter got on a plane to the game. Where he proceeded to have a great performance. I thought it was a great story and thought I would share it, thatís how legends are made, it was like when Farve played Monday Night Football after his father died or when Jordan won a NBA championship on Fathers day. Just such a great story.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 09:11 AM
H2O

That's an amazing story! I'm angry at myself for missing that game now.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Awww, I'm glad his daughter will be okay.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Gus Fring

Yeah I saw that, it was pretty crazy.

p.s GO SUNS

SUNS & SENS

Gus Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:14 AM
The_Heat_Is_On_15*

Yeah great story and very impressive to see how well he played. He had gone through alot and to make as much of an impact he played (let alone play) really is something. Good for him!

Still don't really care bout that series.

GO SUNS!
GO CAVS!

The_Heat_Is_On_15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
senility

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame1876 View Post
Yeah I saw that, it was pretty crazy.

p.s GO SUNS

SUNS & SENS

It was a very special performance, although nobody would remember it if Golden State didn't completely choke their free throws. Sorry, I just can't get behind a team from Salt Lake City, cancer or not.

As for Phoenix, I'm completely on board, but I worry that San Antonio is just too good defensively for the run and gun to be very effective against them. It sucks that such an exciting brand of basketball never seems to work against these veteran playoff teams. I think we need a "NEW" NBA so teams like Phoenix can become the norm.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Masterplan*

Good story, however, I don't follow basketball as I feel the NBA competes directly with the NHL for fan base and ratings. So good show Mr. Fisher, and GO NHL GO!

Masterplan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 01:30 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
I always liked Fisher, ever since his days with the Lakers.

He is a guy with a lot of heart and a lot of class, as this story shows.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 01:52 PM
emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Good story, however, I don't follow basketball as I feel the NBA competes directly with the NHL for fan base and ratings.
I'm curious as to why. I would argue the fanbases are very different for the most part.

emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Captain_Cunney

Great story, wish I didn't tap out at halftime dammit!

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 12:51 AM
senility

Just caught the end of the game and Fisher was clutch performer again in eliminating Golden State in 5. I had a soft spot for the Warriors, but now what it's over, I have to give full props to Fisher. Talk about rising to the occasion. As far as I know, his daughter is going to be OK, so that's the real good news story. Having said that, if he gets in Steve Nash's Suns way, he too will have to be destroyed.

Go S(E/U)NS GO!!!

Old
05-16-2007, 12:54 AM
The_Heat_Is_On_15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by senility View Post
Just caught the end of the game and Fisher was clutch performer again in eliminating Golden State in 5. I had a soft spot for the Warriors, but now what it's over, I have to give full props to Fisher. Talk about rising to the occasion. As far as I know, his daughter is going to be OK, so that's the real good news story. Having said that, if he gets in Steve Nash's Suns way, he too will have to be destroyed.

Go S(E/U)NS GO!!!

Jazz in the West Final...huh how bout that! Sounds kind of weird , they haven't been this far since the Malone/Stockton days when they were a top team. Nice to see them doing well and they are defintely the only "cinderella" team left.
I think it's pretty safe to say that either the Suns or Spurs will destroy the Jazz next round. Jazz got a good team , but they cannot play with the elite.

Old
05-16-2007, 01:02 AM
senility

Yup. Not looking good for Phoenix, though. Horry cheapshots Nash, but both Stoudemire and Diaw end up getting suspended because they came off the bench and motioned like they were going to stick up for him. Neither one even so much as shoved anybody, however. Total BS decision, but they have a zero tolerance policy about guys coming off the bench. Still, talk about getting screwed over. If they go on to lose without their two best big men, I think it will go down as one of the bigger injustices in any sport that I've seen in the last few years.

Old
05-16-2007, 01:07 AM
The_Heat_Is_On_15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by senility View Post
Yup. Not looking good for Phoenix, though. Horry cheapshots Nash, but both Stoudemire and Diaw end up getting suspended because they came off the bench and motioned like they were going to stick up for him. Neither one even so much as shoved anybody, however. Total BS decision, but they have a zero tolerance policy about guys coming off the bench. Still, talk about getting screwed over. If they go on to lose without their two best big men, I think it will go down as one of the bigger injustices in any sport that I've seen in the last few years.
That's total BS for one reason and one reason only. Stoudemire was told to come on the floor for a substitution and than joined in the fight thinking he was a legal man on the court when in fact there had been no substitutions called by the referee so the ref thought he was coming off the bench which of course is not allowed. Sucks to get suspended for Amare cause he was just following his coach's instructions and he doesn't think he did anything wrong. Don't know about Diaw though , just going by what I saw on The Score.

So now even more weight falls on the shoulders of Mr.Nash. Oh and there is Marion but Game 5 could very well be the turning point in the series. San Antonio has to stop this dirty play though , it's pretty low and it's wearing down Nash and the Suns.

GO SUNS GO!!

Old
05-16-2007, 05:12 AM
Sens4Cup

Being uneducated about other sports I read the topic header and thought for a second that Mike Fisher might have a brother that the Sens could draft, dare to dream.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 11:26 AM
bastone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Heat_Is_On_15 View Post
That's total BS for one reason and one reason only. Stoudemire was told to come on the floor for a substitution and than joined in the fight thinking he was a legal man on the court when in fact there had been no substitutions called by the referee so the ref thought he was coming off the bench which of course is not allowed. Sucks to get suspended for Amare cause he was just following his coach's instructions and he doesn't think he did anything wrong. Don't know about Diaw though , just going by what I saw on The Score.

So now even more weight falls on the shoulders of Mr.Nash. Oh and there is Marion but Game 5 could very well be the turning point in the series. San Antonio has to stop this dirty play though , it's pretty low and it's wearing down Nash and the Suns.

GO SUNS GO!!

But thats exactly what the Spurs want.

I just hope the Bulls beat the Pistons,anyone please beat the God dam Pistons.I F hate that team

bastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 03:13 PM
The_Heat_Is_On_15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezzaFan_19 View Post
But thats exactly what the Spurs want.

I just hope the Bulls beat the Pistons,anyone please beat the God dam Pistons.I F hate that team
I agree , the Pistons are getting old. Would love to see a new and freash team advance....enough of the Pistons and Spurs., Unfortunatley I doubt the Bulls complete the comeback and take it in 7.

Old
05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
bastone

Quote:
I agree , the Pistons are getting old. Would love to see a new and freash team advance....enough of the Pistons and Spurs., Unfortunatley I doubt the Bulls complete the comeback and take it in 7.
I like the Spurs and have no problem with them,I hope the Bulls can complete the comeback but I will enjoy more watching the Cavs beat the Pistons

Old
05-16-2007, 03:37 PM
The_Heat_Is_On_15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezzaFan_19 View Post
I like the Spurs and have no problem with them,I hope the Bulls can complete the comeback but I will enjoy more watching the Cavs beat the Pistons
Would love to see the Cavs in the East Final and it would most likley be against the Pistons and I don't like their chances against them.

Jazz vs Suns (Suns in 5)

Cavs vs Pistons (Pistons in 7)

But ooooh what a final Cavs vs Suns would be!!! King James vs Nash!

Old
05-16-2007, 03:42 PM
bastone

Quote:
Would love to see the Cavs in the East Final and it would most likley be against the Pistons and I don't like their chances against them.

Jazz vs Suns (Suns in 5)

Cavs vs Pistons (Pistons in 7)

But ooooh what a final Cavs vs Suns would be!!! King James vs Nash!

Anyone but the Suns,I don't like them