HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Muckler to be fired?

Old
05-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsens View Post
Again I am glad that no one else in the world would have been smart enough to do this but him. As much as it would suck, I will laugh if the Sens don't advance and then see who is talking trash about him lol. Just like his oh so wonderful confidence in Cameron. Even Cameron knew himself that he couldn't hack it anymore.

Muck a duck has done some great things but so have many other GM's. Could the Sens live without him? absolutely. oh wait, maybe they can't cuz the fans would cry bloddy murder.
Muckler did what he did he deserves credit and no I don't think most GMs would have done as well. Look at most teams... most have made more bad moves in the last 3 or 4 years than Muckler and less good ones.

Muckler is old. I'll take that as him having more wisdom and intelligence than that he is senile. 60 years in hockey and a handfull of Cups and more finals appearances makes him a good bet.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 07:20 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
How many GMs have won Ottawa a cup?

Looks like Muck will be the first.
Can the team at least advance to the finals before making such comments?

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 07:21 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Fans of the Bingo Sens have reason to be bitter.

I haven't been keen on a lot of Mucklers moves in the past; but this year I liked just about every thing he did and even more, what he didn't do. I am glad he resisted the pressure that came mostly from the Ottawa sports media to deal away important parts of the future for Gary Roberts. I am happy with Saprykin and Comrie especially as they came at very little real cost.

If the Sens are able to go all the way, all his past missteps will be forgotten and he will be covered in roses.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 07:21 PM
bsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
I was going to say that but I need to have faith in my team lol.

bsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 07:22 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
I am not one for Karma.

I am expecting a cup this year and I fully plan on seeing it happen.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
How many times has Ottawa choked?
I'll keep my faith in Murray instead.
Well, thanks for filling in for the Buffalo trolls!

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 07:27 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Ya I suppose but truthfully I could care less how Bingo preforms, its all about the Sens and if Bingo happens to ice a good team then great but if not I could care less. Bingo is just there to develop our talent to NHL level players, Don't really care if they are a Calder cup threat are not.

Old
05-15-2007, 07:32 PM
bsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post

I haven't been keen on a lot of Mucklers moves in the past; but this year I liked just about every thing he did and even more, what he didn't do. I am glad he resisted the pressure that came mostly from the Ottawa sports media to deal away important parts of the future for Gary Roberts. I am happy with Saprykin and Comrie especially as they came at very little real cost.

If the Sens are able to go all the way, all his past missteps will be forgotten and he will be covered in roses.

I just want a cup :-)

Last edited by bsens: 05-16-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old
05-15-2007, 07:35 PM
bsens

Quote:
Ya I suppose but truthfully I could care less how Bingo preforms, its all about the Sens and if Bingo happens to ice a good team then great but if not I could care less. Bingo is just there to develop our talent to NHL level players, Don't really care if they are a Calder cup threat are not.
bummer

Last edited by bsens: 05-16-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old
05-15-2007, 07:40 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Are you kidding me? I am glad you are not the GM lol. i guess you are going to trade for all your top stars up there! may as well shut down the AHL. How do you develop players for the NHL when you don't have any.
Our players are in Russia and College. We will eventually get them over here playing but no rush.

Ottawa is the 2nd youngust team in the NHL.

Patrick Eaves is a healthy scratch.

The organization is in great shape.

Old
05-15-2007, 07:43 PM
bsens

Quote:
Our players are in Russia and College. We will eventually get them over here playing but no rush.

Ottawa is the 2nd youngust team in the NHL.

Patrick Eaves is a healthy scratch.

The organization is in great shape.
oh ok, cool, sorry. Thanx for clearing that up for me :-)

Old
05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
moz
Gute Post

I feel bad for Bingo fans, but outside of a crappy coach I wouldn't be so quick to jump on Mucks for the team being terrible. Guys that would normally be playing in Binghamton have developed so well that they're with the big team - Meszaros, Eaves, maybe Schubert. Then as Fuhr mentioned, most of our draft picks have either been college kids or russians. Neither of those types of players are in any particular rush to go to the AHL, if they/Sens management feel a) they can develop better in their current situation, b) they won't have a chance to make the big team, c) they're making big money/getting an education in their current situation. Playing in the AHL is not exactly a dream scenario, just look at Kaigs this season.

Next year Binghamton will get an infusion of players, the last couple years were just pretty dry due to these circumstances. Not bad drafting or poor GMing by Muckler. Thanks but I'd rather have Mezzy and Eaves up helping out the big club than have Bingo be a better team. Unless you're exclusively a Bingo fan, shouldn't you feel the same way?

05-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Buckleys

The trades in question, De Vries (which was better then Rachunek and Giroux, and we might be getting Giroux back according to rumors) Bondra and Aranson (not his fault, he took chances on these two and they didn't pan out)

All of his trades and signings this year have been great. Past trades, the Heatley and Schaefer trades for example, have been excellent.

Lets not forget this mans drafting, which he does have the ultimate decision in.

Meszaros, Eaves, Mirnov, Lyamin, Weller, Regin, Glass, Nikulin, McIlvane, McKenzie, Anikeyenko, Kudelka, Zubov, Bass, Lee, Foligno, Gryba, Daugavins, Elliot, Condra and Lessard are his some of his drafties over the past few years. VERY legitimate prospects, Mezzy and Eavesies already solid NHLers.

I ragged on him at the begging of the year, but, I realize he is a good GM.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I seriously cannot believe Sens fans are still trashing Muckler, when the team he has assembled is on the brink of the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in FRANCHISE HISTORY.

You speak as though we should be excited by this.

Guess what, it is his job to make this team a winner just as it is the players' jobs to bring a Stanley Cup to this town. Why are we praising him for something we are entitled to?

When we win the Cup in 4-5 weeks, they will have performed to expectations.
The appalling thing is that it took Muckler this long to deliver a winning product.

Glad it's finally happening though, but I wouldn't be averse to dumping him along with Redden in the offseason.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:13 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post

Guess what, it is his job to make this team a winner just as it is the players' jobs to bring a Stanley Cup to this town. Why are we praising him for something we are entitled to?

The appalling thing is that it took Muckler this long to deliver a winning product.

Glad it's finally happening though, but I wouldn't be averse to dumping him along with Redden in the offseason.
WOW

The team has been a winner for many years. the cups a hard thing to win, you should be glad that we have a GM that had the ability to put a team together that could challenge for the cup.

Since expansion in 1968 17 teams have not won a cup

Atlanta Thrashers
Buffalo Sabres
Florida Panthers
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Washington Capitals
Chicago Blackhawks
Anaheim Ducks
Columbus Blue Jackets
Los Angeles Kings
Nashville Predators
Minnesota Wild
Phoenix Coyotes
St. Louis Blues
Vancouver Canucks
San Jose Sharks

Going on my ignore list. My IQ just dropped after reading your post.

Last edited by The Fuhr*: 05-15-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old
05-15-2007, 10:44 PM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:

I don't even have words.

I'm glad we have fans who can actually appreciate all the hard times this club has been through and the hard work, dedication and blood, sweat and tears it has taken over the years for the Sens to even get to this point. Fans who will actually be proud of their team and elated that they have the fortitude to make it this far, when there are 26 other teams filled with guys and fans who want the cup just as much who they've had to beat out just to get here. Fans who will appreciate that chances at the Cup don't come around very often, so they appreciate and absorb every second of it with positivity and enthusiasm, not entitlement and arrogance. Jesus.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 07:23 AM
bsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I feel bad for Bingo fans, but outside of a crappy coach I wouldn't be so quick to jump on Mucks for the team being terrible. Guys that would normally be playing in Binghamton have developed so well that they're with the big team - Meszaros, Eaves, maybe Schubert. Then as Fuhr mentioned, most of our draft picks have either been college kids or russians. Neither of those types of players are in any particular rush to go to the AHL, if they/Sens management feel a) they can develop better in their current situation, b) they won't have a chance to make the big team, c) they're making big money/getting an education in their current situation. Playing in the AHL is not exactly a dream scenario, just look at Kaigs this season.

Next year Binghamton will get an infusion of players, the last couple years were just pretty dry due to these circumstances. Not bad drafting or poor GMing by Muckler. Thanks but I'd rather have Mezzy and Eaves up helping out the big club than have Bingo be a better team. Unless you're exclusively a Bingo fan, shouldn't you feel the same way?
I would never have kept Eaves or Mez in Bingo as they clearly deserved to be in Ottawa. I do however think that,

1. The players we had were not as bad as as they were badly coached and
2. ummmm. Muck is still a duck :-)

Old
05-16-2007, 07:24 AM
bsens

Quote:

Total Agreement although it is true that the team hasn't been around so long to say finally delivered a winning product. He is just ... a Duck!

Old
05-16-2007, 07:46 AM
OgieO

I have no doubt that Strachan was pretty creative with this story, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mucks does move on after the season - especially if we win the cup. However, I would be shocked if he was fired. How can you fire someone after giving the fans exactly what they've been demanding for so long (a long playoff run)?

Personally, I'd love it if Murray moved upstairs into the GM role as well. He built a great team in Anaheim and I think he'd do the same here with a great core to start off with.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Sens4Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
I have no doubt that Strachan was pretty creative with this story, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mucks does move on after the season - especially if we win the cup. However, I would be shocked if he was fired. How can you fire someone after giving the fans exactly what they've been demanding for so long (a long playoff run)?

Personally, I'd love it if Murray moved upstairs into the GM role as well. He built a great team in Anaheim and I think he'd do the same here with a great core to start off with.
I think it would be a huge waste if now that the Sens have a guy to coach them well in the playoffs, that he moves up to GM, unless he's going to be doing both. Mucks I think has a good few years maybe 2-3 years left in him to continue with the Sens IMO. Perhaps they could have like a year end discussion about how long Mucks wants to stick around and go from there.

I mean how can you ditch a guy who managed through a bankruptcy, change of ownership, lockout, and built a team for the "new era" without yet knowing what that era was going to be. Replacing a GM in the summer like July/August will also be silly if basically personnel decisions have mostly been made. I mean the only real decision this summer is whether to sign Preissing and for how much and how long term a deal to give Emery and possibly an extension for Heatley. If Murray were to take over as GM, he'd almost need to make a trade to show that he's actually managing the team.

Though I guess they also need to get rid of Gerber which might take creativity.

I think the thought was that if the Sens flamed out then Murray would move upstairs and Muckler would retire, since that ain't happening I think Murray keeps coaching, Mucks keeps managing, and in a few years perhaps John Paddock takes over as head coach, Murray moves upstairs and Mucks moves to an advisory role.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 09:18 AM
OgieO

Quote:

When only one team can win the Cup, no team is expected to win every year. The probability of a team winning (all things equal) is less than 4% - by statistical standards that would mean a team is expected to win the cup once in 30 years.

You might want to reconsider what you think you are entitled to.

Old
05-16-2007, 09:20 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup View Post
I think it would be a huge waste if now that the Sens have a guy to coach them well in the playoffs, that he moves up to GM, unless he's going to be doing both. Mucks I think has a good few years maybe 2-3 years left in him to continue with the Sens IMO. Perhaps they could have like a year end discussion about how long Mucks wants to stick around and go from there.

I mean how can you ditch a guy who managed through a bankruptcy, change of ownership, lockout, and built a team for the "new era" without yet knowing what that era was going to be. Replacing a GM in the summer like July/August will also be silly if basically personnel decisions have mostly been made. I mean the only real decision this summer is whether to sign Preissing and for how much and how long term a deal to give Emery and possibly an extension for Heatley. If Murray were to take over as GM, he'd almost need to make a trade to show that he's actually managing the team.

Though I guess they also need to get rid of Gerber which might take creativity.

I think the thought was that if the Sens flamed out then Murray would move upstairs and Muckler would retire, since that ain't happening I think Murray keeps coaching, Mucks keeps managing, and in a few years perhaps John Paddock takes over as head coach, Murray moves upstairs and Mucks moves to an advisory role.
I would never 'ditch' Muckler. I just think he might retire or move to another position in the organization, especially if we win the Cup. A less stressful position, like an advisor as you suggested.

Old
05-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Tobias Funke

I've heard several stories of players praising John Paddock. To me, that's a great sign because we have three capable men that need to fill two roles.

If we lose Muckler (and I hope he stays at least one more year), at least we have the potential of moving an experienced GM upstairs and promoting a good Xs and Os coach....even if he doesn't have the same gift of sarcasm.

Tobias Funke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Strachan =

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote