HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL: Bäckström, Caps agree to terms

Old
05-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Phase 1 complete.
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit.
what a great, obscure reference. (underpant gnomes) I love it.
that said....congrats to the Caps. I do believe your days of drafting top-5 will soon be over....

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 05:56 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
BUt but but but his body language on draft day suggested that he hated america and hated us for our freedom. I wanna bash GMGM!
I wonder whatever happened to atomic?

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Cush
-inator

http://www.washingtoncaps.com/news/n...?story_id=4837

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 08:47 PM
CapitalPunishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
there were a few posters here who thought he'd never put on a Caps sweater
then i laugh at them too

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 10:22 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
This is good stuff to hear, congratulations guys... even from a Pens fan's perspective, it's good for the league... I can't wait to watch Ovechkin and Backstrom together be it on the PP or on a regular unit. I was personally crazy about Backstrom in the 06 draft and wanted the Pens to take him, but I guess I'm perfectly content with Staal . Enjoy the excitement, guys.
Yeah,

I was thinking about Jordan too. We should've grabbed him. Oh well...spilled milk & all.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'd be very happy with 50 points...particularly if it breaks down to about 10-15 goals with 35-40 assists.

I think most of us are realistic about him. He's a smaller player and he's going to play in a more physical league and about 2 times as many games as he's ever played in a season. He's got a lot to deal with.

In order, I hope that he: keeps his head up, adapts to the smaller ice surface, survives the 82 games, bonds with his teammates/improves his English, and scores about 50 points.

I do expect a big improvement in 2008-2009 though.
Swedish players can speak English (In English accent)

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 12:02 AM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Yeah,

I was thinking about Jordan too. We should've grabbed him. Oh well...spilled milk & all.

Who is we? I hate to tell you this, but Jordan Staal was the #2 overall pick in the 2006 draft. The only team that passed on him was the Blues, and they grabbed future franchise defenseman Erik Johnson with their pick. The Capitals never had a chance at him (or the Red Wings for that matter, since you seem to be a big fan of theirs). It would've cost too much for anyone to have traded up in that draft. If anyone had, they would've gone for EJ rather than Staal.

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 12:14 AM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Oil13 View Post
Swedish players can speak English (In English accent)
I've heard that in Sweden TV programs are broadcast in English with Swedish subtitles (or vice versa, not sure), and most people there speak English. It's been rumored that our Mr. Backstrom doesn't speak English very well (gee, I wonder who said that. Maybe someone whose handle began with a T?). I think that got started because he seemed tongue tied on his Versus interview at the draft and the interview he gave to Comcast Sportsnet locally in DC. I chalk that up to the fact that he seems to be a very shy kid, who doesn't interview well. Phil Kessel also got a rep as being standoffish and if you ever saw him being interviewed you'd say he was a total retard. Everyone who knows him personally says he's a bright, hardworking, amiable young man who happens to be very shy. Just stupid rumors, as usual

Old
05-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Cush
-inator

is this really a Dave Fay article? http://www.washingtontimes.com/sport...3735-5907r.htm

where's the Doom & Gloom?

Old
05-17-2007, 12:35 AM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
is this really a Dave Fay article? http://www.washingtontimes.com/sport...3735-5907r.htm

where's the Doom & Gloom?
People may have been a little hard on Dave Fay. The guy has been battling cancer, and I can tell you, never having had the dread disease myself (knock wood) but watching loved ones suffer through it, that it doesn't make one feel in a jolly mood. I, for one, am willing to cut the poor guy some slack. Here's to you Dave! Looking forward to more of your crabby, pissy, fallacious, absurd articles

Old
05-17-2007, 03:10 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
I've heard that in Sweden TV programs are broadcast in English with Swedish subtitles (or vice versa, not sure), and most people there speak English.
Correct. Only movies and programs for children are dubbed in Swedish, subtitles are often used for any language (English being the most common).

Quote:
It's been rumored that our Mr. Backstrom doesn't speak English very well.
I don't think the language will be a problem for him, even though he might not be more than average for a Swede. He seems to be a bit shy though.

Seiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 05:13 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza View Post
I don't think the language will be a problem for him, even though he might not be more than average for a Swede. He seems to be a bit shy though.
He was almost impossible to interview even in swedish a year ago.

Moving from promising junior in a small town to youngest swede playing in WC to top pick at the NHL draft, welcomed by personally by AO and hysteric amounts of media attention isn't that easy at the tender age of 18.

Top it off with a TV interview in your second languge and maybe it's not that strange that he seemed a bit shy and having trouble with his english.

But have faith, he did become much more open and relaxed with media this last year in Sweden. I think he'll adapt once he settles in.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 05:59 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I guess "Sweden" was wrong, eh Dave?

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Volsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
He was almost impossible to interview even in swedish a year ago.

Moving from promising junior in a small town to youngest swede playing in WC to top pick at the NHL draft, welcomed by personally by AO and hysteric amounts of media attention isn't that easy at the tender age of 18.

Top it off with a TV interview in your second languge and maybe it's not that strange that he seemed a bit shy and having trouble with his english.

But have faith, he did become much more open and relaxed with media this last year in Sweden. I think he'll adapt once he settles in.
He will have no trouble settling into the media atmosphere here once he realizes it's smaller than his previous one in Sweden

Say hello to back page articles sans photos that you need a magnifying glass to find, Backis

Volsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 11:05 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Who is we? I hate to tell you this, but Jordan Staal was the #2 overall pick in the 2006 draft. The only team that passed on him was the Blues, and they grabbed future franchise defenseman Erik Johnson with their pick. The Capitals never had a chance at him (or the Red Wings for that matter, since you seem to be a big fan of theirs). It would've cost too much for anyone to have traded up in that draft. If anyone had, they would've gone for EJ rather than Staal.
FYI- From memory...for sometime before the draft, there was much speculation that the Pens(being somewhat foward rich) would be willing to deal down in exchange for picks. The 2 teams much speculated on were Carolina and the Caps. I was advocating that we try & grab Stahl, as it was my contention then (and now) that Jordan would prove to be the best player of all of the top picks. I wasn't alone. Don Cherry has been trumpheting the Stahl family for years, and he's replayed many video clips of him predicting Jordan's success years ago. He's also made similiar predictions about Joe Thorton as well, which he brings up frequently.

As for the Wings, what are you talking about? The Wings haven't had a 10 ten draft pick since 1991.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 11:41 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
FYI- From memory...for sometime before the draft, there was much speculation that the Pens(being somewhat foward rich) would be willing to deal down in exchange for picks. The 2 teams much speculated on were Carolina and the Caps. I was advocating that we try & grab Stahl, as it was my contention then (and now) that Jordan would prove to be the best player of all of the top picks. I wasn't alone. Don Cherry has been trumpheting the Stahl family for years, and he's replayed many video clips of him predicting Jordan's success years ago. He's also made similiar predictions about Joe Thorton as well, which he brings up frequently.

As for the Wings, what are you talking about? The Wings haven't had a 10 ten draft pick since 1991.
I too preferred Jordan. Was pissed when it became apparent that the Pens favored him as the playoffs went on.

But if Pitt said no to JMFJ (a highly skilled player at a position of need with one extra year of development) for the 2nd, they weren't going to say yes to 4th + picks. Never once heard anything credible about an openess to trade with the Caps. The Pens were set on Staal at 2, just like the Caps were set on NB at 4. You can't blame GMGM for not landing Staal just like you can't blame Boston for not getting NB.

Last edited by HSHS: 05-17-2007 at 03:58 PM.
HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 11:48 AM
txpd

Quote:

You believe speculation? Yes, there were good reasons for the Caps to have chosen Staal had they had that option, but they didn't and I for one would like to see Backstrom play a little before I even wish the Caps had better luck in the lottery.

Since the Pens didn't trade the Staal pick to anyone I would say that they didn't want to trade the pick to anyone much less the Capitals OR their price for doing so was higher than anyone was willing to pay.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 12:50 PM
The Viking Fury

I wanted Staal too, but it takes two to trade. There was nothing the Caps could do

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 12:53 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I believe my top 4 at the time were...

Johnson
Toews
Staal
Backstrom

Im fine with getting Backstrom where we did. I would have been fine with moving up for any of the other players...but as vf pointed out...it takes two to trade.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 01:43 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:

My message board mates have made my point much more eloquently than I could have. As for the Red Wings: I was trying to figure out who you meant by "we". The Wings had as much chance of landing that #2 overall pick as the Caps. In other words: zero. The speculation was nothing more than the usual garbage put out by Eklund, Strachan and the other writers who have nothing to comment on at that time of the year, and just pull things like that out of their @$$e$

Old
05-17-2007, 02:00 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
I wanted Staal too, but it takes two to trade. There was nothing the Caps could do
PLEASE GET ROB BASE OUT OF MY MIND!!!!!!!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores View Post
PLEASE GET ROB BASE OUT OF MY MIND!!!!!!!
Whoooooooo! Yeh!

Whoooooooo! Yeh!

Whoooooooo! Yeh!

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Cush
-inator

no surprise here, he'll be wearing #19

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capit....html#comments

Old
05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
SwOOsh*

Quote:

1. It's Staal.

2. I will be very surprised if Staal becomes the best pick in the draft. He is a very good player but I doubt he will ever become elite. His skating leaves something to be desired, if you watch a game as soon as he is in a high traffic area he stops moving his feet. This along with a below average passing game are two big knocks on a center.

SwOOsh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 04:14 PM
The Viking Fury

I hope he goes to the rookie camp. if he goes, I think I'm going

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote